FL - Derek Rosa, 13, charged as adult in stabbing death of mother Irina Garcia in her sleep, 13 Oct 2023

Ebon

Former Member
Reaction score

A 13-year-old boy in Florida confessed to stabbing his mother to death as she slept Thursday night, police say, according to multiple outlets.

The boy, who has not yet been publicly identified, called police in Hialeah and told them he killed his mother, reported Local 10, NBC Miami and WSVN.

The boy’s mother was identified by authorities in reports as Irina Garcia, 39. When police arrived at the scene, they found Garcia dead next to a crib where there was a two-week-old baby, who was unharmed, the outlets reported.

Around 11:30 p.m., officers were sent to an apartment in the 200 block of West 79th Place after 911 received a call from a 13-year-old who said he had just killed his mother.

When officers arrived, they found the body of 39-year-old Irina Garcia in her bedroom, it was lying next to a crib with a 14-day-old baby inside. The infant was not harmed. Police said Garcia had been stabbed multiple times.

1697265913996.png

RIP, Irina. :(

“ We cannot say why this happened. We can say that he called 911 and advised what he did. From what I understand there were no other calls to the apartment and people here said he was a good kid and as far as we know there were no mental health issues. We just don't know why he did this. …," said police Lt. Eddie Rodriguez.

Around 11:30 p.m., officers were sent to an apartment in the 200 block of West 79th Place after 911 received a call from a 13-year-old who said he had just killed his mother.

When officers arrived, they found the body of 39-year-old Irina Garcia in her bedroom, it was lying next to a crib with a 14-day-old baby inside. The infant was not harmed. Police said Garcia had been stabbed multiple times.

View attachment 453271

RIP, Irina. :(

Is that her son on the left, with his hand on her stomach? I know it’s a thing for husband/daddy to do, but young sons? Maybe I’m too old fashioned.

Moo . Looks kinda tall for 13, but maybe. That is a big age gap between child births. What are the family dynamics? Is this baby his sister or half sister? He is 13, so technically a teenager but only just.....moo

Is that her son on the left, with his hand on her stomach? I know it’s a thing for husband/daddy to do, but young sons? Maybe I’m too old fashioned.

I just see it as a pose for the photo.
Yes that is the son. I searched his mum's name on Facebook and that photo came up uncensored with the boy's name.

In reply to Nao, an article said the baby is his half sister

“ We cannot say why this happened. We can say that he called 911 and advised what he did. From what I understand there were no other calls to the apartment and people here said he was a good kid and as far as we know there were no mental health issues. We just don't know why he did this. …," said police Lt. Eddie Rodriguez.

"Rodriguez said, "We cannot say why this happened. We can say that he called 911 and advised what he did. From what I understand there were no other calls to the apartment and people here said he was a good kid and as far as we know there were no mental health issues. We just don't know why he did this. This is heartbreaking, I never would have imagined something like this, a 13-year-old child taking his mother's life. It is a sad story," said police Lt. Eddie Rodriguez.

Police said they have no history with this family. "

As far as they know 'there were no mental health issues.' But they may not have recognised them, if there were some signs. I have to think there are some mental health issues because a mentally healthy, well coping 13 yr old honour student doesn't stab his Mom and then call LE and apologise. JMO

Could there have been some abuse or some extreme situation triggering it? IDK?

Sadly this looks like jealousy of the new baby. He had been an "only" for so long, and then suddenly there was such a fuss about the new baby. But that must happen very often, without it leading to murder. Jealousy and anger might be normal reactions in many an older child, but murder? That's something else.

Sincere condolences to her loved-ones.

This seems different from a typical case of a child/teenager killing a parent.

I'm speculating some of the following may be true: if they study this boy's electronics they're going to find he's been accessing very violent content; he's taking some kind of prescription medication that affected him mentally; or a new mental health condition has appeared.

I don't imagine he's jealous of the baby, because she was unharmed.

This reminds me of the recent case where a girl inexplicably murdered her little brother. I believe she was taking prescription medication.

All JMO.

Derek Rosa, who allegedly stabbed his mother to death, has had his mugshot released by Miami-Dade Corrections & Rehabilitation
He's been charged as an adult in court and did not appear at his first hearing

In the transcript, the dispatcher can be heard asking Rosa, 'Why did you kill your mom?' but no response was recorded.

Rosa allegedly told the dispatcher that he'd taken pictures of his dead mother and sent them to his friends.

He is heard saying: 'I took pictures and I told my friends about it. Is that bad?'

Derek Rosa, who allegedly stabbed his mother to death, has had his mugshot released by Miami-Dade Corrections & Rehabilitation
He's been charged as an adult in court and did not appear at his first hearing

He is not trying to lie. I would not be surprised if he was not in a lucid state when he did it and indeed, it is a new condition emerging.

He thinks it may have been bad to send pictures of his dead mother? Doesn't he think that it may have been bad to actually kill her? I wonder if his moral compass has always been this weird. Surely someone must have noticed there was something wrong, you would think.

He thinks it may have been bad to send pictures of his dead mother? Doesn't he think that it may have been bad to actually kill her? I wonder if his moral compass has always been this weird. Surely someone must have noticed there was something wrong, you would think.
Something is seriously wrong with this boy, though he looks more like he’s closer to twenty y/o than thirteen, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PCook77
Back