FL - DOJ Agent William Sentner, 44, shot dead, prison guards arrested, 21 June 2006

GlitchWizard said:
Maybe he would rather die than face his wife, when it came out what he'd done.

Then the ahole should have just shot himself. Geez, I hate these guys.

Jeana (DP) said:
Then the ahole should have just shot himself. Geez, I hate these guys.
LMAO I know it's not a funny situation but that just made me laugh.

I work for Highway Safety and one of our patrol said the correctional officers were already being detained in the all male "section" called the detention center, that is located behind the female part of the prison. So, they were already being detained, and so they did not have weapons and were not at work. The officer disarmed the FBI guy and used the FBI guy's gun to shoot with.

We will never know why he didn't just shoot himself. This is obviously a guy in the know - if you shoot a gun at a cop in the middle of other cops, you are going to then be shot yourself. There isn't any question.

TisHerself said:
LMAO I know it's not a funny situation but that just made me laugh.
Humor is all part of absorbing information such as this. It's not disrespectful or anything - it's okay. My own mother sent me an email and said to call the guy who lives 2+ hours from me and is a correctional officer. She knows I've been "after" him for several years. She said to call him and tell him that there were 6 new openings in Tallahassee for correctional officers so he could move here with me.

He laughed, momentarily at that, but is shook up about fellow officers being shot, for sure.

GlitchWizard said:
So, they were already being detained, and so they did not have weapons and were not at work. The officer disarmed the FBI guy and used the FBI guy's gun to shoot with.
I was wondering about that. It would be odd that the agents would have tried to arrest people who they knew to be armed without bringing in a tactical team. And corrections officers typically do not carry guns unless they are on the wall or in a tower. This seemed to be a low security prison so there would not be too many armed staff.

GlitchWizard said:
I work for Highway Safety and one of our patrol said the correctional officers were already being detained in the all male "section" called the detention center, that is located behind the female part of the prison. So, they were already being detained, and so they did not have weapons and were not at work. The officer disarmed the FBI guy and used the FBI guy's gun to shoot with.

We will never know why he didn't just shoot himself. This is obviously a guy in the know - if you shoot a gun at a cop in the middle of other cops, you are going to then be shot yourself. There isn't any question.

The official said the guard fired with a personal weapon, wounding the Bureau of Prisons employee who was assisting with the arrest. Agents from the Justice Department's inspector general's office returned fire, killing the guard, the official said, adding that a Justice Department agent was killed in the exchange. It wasn't immediately clear who fired that fatal shot.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200398,00.html

From reading the article, it said that they were there to arrest the guards. I took that to mean that the 6 were working when this took place - not that they were already detained. If the one used his personal weapon, that would stand to reason. If they were detained already, how would he have access to his weapon?

I'm sure the information/misinformation is all going to settle out in the long run - maybe we will know the truth, maybe not.

I find it highly suspect that a "personal weapon" would make it into a secured facility undetected.

It's probably hard to determine who fired the fatal shot because the whole wall and in the lobby are riddled with bullet holes. They probably have to do the whole "Which gun fired which bullet" thing to know for sure.

Two things in that article strike me as odd.
1. We know who was killed. It was Ralph Hill. That was determined early today.
2. They didn't suspect the guards to be armed because they were being detained.

I don't know why they were being collected from the detention facility or where they were being transported to yet. I say collected because of conflicting reports as to whether they were being detained there or were working. I'm leaning toward what the Highway Patrol guy here at work said, more than the papers. Especially when they say they don't know who was killed, and they do know.

As federal agents were serving arrest warrants on the six, guard Ralph Hill began shooting, authorities said.

Federal agents returned fire, killing Hill, according to Jeff Westcott, spokesman for the FBI's Jacksonville office. An agent with the Office of Inspector General died, he said. (Watch what may have prompted the gunfight -- 1:48)

In the indictment, the six guards were identified as Hill, Alfred Barnes, Gregory Dixon, Vincent Johnson, Alan Moore and E. Lavon Spence.

All of the indicted guards were at the facility at the time of the shooting, about 7:45 a.m., authorities said.

The other five guards were arrested without incident in other areas of the facility, the FBI said.

The area where the shooting took place was not accessible to inmates, authorities said. The facility was placed on lockdown after the incident.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/21/fla.shooting/index.html

The last sentence tells me they were not detained when all this occured today.

AND ANOTHER ARTICLE:

Guards are prohibited from bringing personal weapons into prisons but are not screened the way visitors are, Wilson said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200398,00.html

So they must have been working today - that's how he was able to get his personal gun in - he wasn't checked.

CNN) -- Behind the boilerplate language of the grand jury indictment at the heart of an arrest gone awry is the story of a prison sex scandal straight from a B movie.

It features male guards, female inmates and the currency of sex, drugs, money and favors. Ultimately, it is a story of power and oppression.

A half-dozen guards at a federal prison for women in Tallahassee, Florida, are accused in an indictment of a conspiring to swap contraband for sex with at least 10 inmates.

The indictment says the guards also abused their authority and resorted to intimidation to keep the sex-for-favors scheme going.

When federal authorities showed up at the prison to make arrests Wednesday, guard Ralph Hill opened fire, sources said. Hill and a federal agent were killed in the gunfight. (Watch an arrest that went awry -- 1:48)

Hill was among the six U.S. Bureau of Prisons corrections officers charged in the indictment. The others are Alfredo Barnes, Gregory Dixon, Vincent Johnson, Alan Moore and E. Lavon Spence. The 13-page indictment alleges a single count of conspiracy.

All the guards but Johnson are accused in the indictment of having "sexual contact" with inmates in exchange for contraband.

Johnson, the indictment says, tried to discourage an inmate from cooperating with investigators during the yearlong probe.

The indictment alleges that Hill had sexual contact on four occasions with four different inmates. He also allegedly monitored inmate phone calls and used money orders to purchase contraband to exchange for sex.

more at:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/21/prison.indictment/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/21/prison.indictment/index.html

(CNN) -- Two men -- a Justice Department official and a prison guard -- were killed in a shootout in a Tallahassee prison when federal marshals attempted to arrest six guards indicted for coercing women inmates into a sex ring.

Behind the boilerplate language of the grand jury indictment at the heart of an arrest gone awry is the story of a prison sex scandal straight from a B movie.
It features male guards, female inmates and the currency of sex, drugs, money and favors. Ultimately, it is a story of power and oppression.

A half-dozen guards at a federal prison for women in Tallahassee, Florida, are accused in an indictment of a conspiring to swap contraband for sex with at least 10 inmates.

The indictment says the guards also abused their authority and resorted to intimidation to keep the sex-for-favors scheme going.

When federal authorities showed up at the prison to make arrests Wednesday, guard Ralph Hill opened fire, sources said. Hill and a federal agent were killed in the gunfight. (Watch an arrest that went awry -- 1:48)

Hill was among the six U.S. Bureau of Prisons corrections officers charged in the indictment. The others are Alfredo Barnes, Gregory Dixon, Vincent Johnson, Alan Moore and E. Lavon Spence. The 13-page indictment alleges a single count of conspiracy.

All the guards but Johnson are accused in the indictment of having "sexual contact" with inmates in exchange for contraband.

Johnson, the indictment says, tried to discourage an inmate from cooperating with investigators during the yearlong probe.

Inmates who threatened to expose the scandal were told contraband would be planted in their cells, according to the indictment.

They also faced intrusions into their personal files and phone calls, the indictment says, and they were threatened with transfers that would take them far from their families.

According to the indictment, some of the guards showed inmates information about themselves and other prisoners on the Bureau of Prisons computer system. The demonstration was intended to show the guards could make good on their threats.

Note: I didn't realize until after I posted this that there is a thread on the same topic in the "Up to the Minute" section...sorry....

jttnewguy said:
(CNN) -- Two men -- a Justice Department official and a prison guard -- were killed in a shootout in a Tallahassee prison when federal marshals attempted to arrest six guards indicted for coercing women inmates into a sex ring.

Behind the boilerplate language of the grand jury indictment at the heart of an arrest gone awry is the story of a prison sex scandal straight from a B movie.

Note: I didn't realize until after I posted this that there is a thread on the same topic in the "Up to the Minute" section...sorry....

No need for apologies, jttNewGuy - you're in the right place - this thread is located in the "Up to the Minute" section. :D

The six guards were indicted Tuesday on corruption charges alleging they traded alcohol and contraband for money or sex with eight female inmates.

Personally, I hate to hear these 6 pigs being given the distinction or respectability of being called "correctional officers". Corrupt guards - okay, that title certainly fits them. The term "Officer" denotes a bit more respect than any of these pigs deserve.

The indictment claims the conspiracy began in September 2003 and lasted through September 2005.

According to local news conferences - authorities have apparently known about the activities of these 6 guards for a whole year - while they conducted their investigations. A whole year!! The Federal agent that was killed was from here in Orlando.

If convicted of the charges in the indictment, the guards could each face up to 20 years in prison.

The guards also were accused of threatening to plant contraband in inmates' belongings or have them shipped to other facilities farther from their families if they reported the illegal activity.

According to the indictment, the guards showed inmates information about themselves and other prisoners on the prison system's computer system to prove their threats were real and that they could be tracked anywhere in the system.

It said the guards switched duty assignments to arrange trysts with the female inmates.

The detention center houses mostly men and is part of the Tallahassee Federal Correctional Institution.

A low-security prison for female inmates is next to the detention center. The men's and women's units house 1,445 inmates.

I hope these pigs all end up in general population - not segregated from the rest of the convicts & perverts that prey on others.

I don't understand how the authorities at a Federal Detention Center could be SO LAX in not checking (screening) guards as they enter the facility. Everyone knows that's the most common way that contraband finds it's way into the prison system.

The 6 guards were under scrutiny & investigation - how did that one guard get away with bringing his personal weapon into the prison????

Why are the guards not examined like everyone else who enters?! This is infuriating. :furious:

13th Juror

Being with Highway Patrol officers all day, you hear this and that and it's hard to know what is just guys talking and what they actually know.

But I agree that calling the guys involved "correctional officers" really doesn't fit.

One of the "correctional officers" stood up and told the judge today "I am not guilty, I am not guilty" several times. Not just the one plea like the rest of them.

I can't imagine being one of their wives right now. Or kids.

GlitchWizard said:
Being with Highway Patrol officers all day, you hear this and that and it's hard to know what is just guys talking and what they actually know.

But I agree that calling the guys involved "correctional officers" really doesn't fit.

One of the "correctional officers" stood up and told the judge today "I am not guilty, I am not guilty" several times. Not just the one plea like the rest of them.

I can't imagine being one of their wives right now. Or kids.
I don't know if these guys are guilty or not, but as a general observation, the problem with cases like these is that, no matter how guilty these guys actually are, when it comes to trial, the main witnesses (possibly the only witnesses, although the article did mention an undercover agent but the details are sketchy) who can testify against them are inmates who are, by definition, convicted criminals and therefore people that the jury may not choose to believe and whose credibility can be torn apart on cross-examination by a good defense attorney, especially if their convictions were for things that are associated with lying, like fraud or embezzlement.

That's always the problem with "bad cop" cases and why a surprising number of them result in acquittals even when the evidence is strong, because jurors tend to sympathize with law enforcement officers anyway, and bad cops who are also smart will intentionally single out victims who have credibility problems or even emotional or mental problems.

One hopes that a smart jury will see through this, but as we've all seen, a lot of jurors aren't that smart.

It seems like the government spent a lot of time trying to build a case on these guys so I suspect they probably believe they have enough for a conviction. I did read that at least some of the witnesses wore wires, so we can expect the government will have tapes they can let the jury hear.

Shooting the cop that has come to arrest you on the job can usually be safely viwed as an admission of guilt.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Shooting the cop that has come to arrest you on the job can usually be safely viwed as an admission of guilt.
Good point!

I know insurance policies do not pay out to survivors for suicide. I was at first thinking that he shot the agent, knowing he'd die, but that his family got the insurance money anyway. (As an answer to why he didn't just shoot himself.) But then I got to thinking - do insurance companies pay out life insurance if you die as a result of committing a felony? I know they don't in acts of war. Just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this.

GlitchWizard said:
I know insurance policies do not pay out to survivors for suicide. I was at first thinking that he shot the agent, knowing he'd die, but that his family got the insurance money anyway. (As an answer to why he didn't just shoot himself.) But then I got to thinking - do insurance companies pay out life insurance if you die as a result of committing a felony? I know they don't in acts of war. Just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this.

GlitchWizard, IMO the family will probably end up suing the prison saying they were at fault for not screening him, thus allowing him to bring in the gun that brought about the return gunfire. I'm not saying it's right, just that there will be lawyers lining up to take it to court.
I don't believe insurance would pay out for someone killed while commiting a felony. I feel sorry for all the families that will be affected by this and maybe it will open the eyes at other prisons on what needs to be done to prevent such crimes to happen!

Old Broad

Money isn't going to get the dirty feeling off of that wife - that's the saddest part. He can't be cleared of the charges if he doesn't go to court for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supertooth
Back