GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The “Application and Affidavit for Search Warrant” prepared by Jason Newlin contains the following at the bottom of page 2:

Is this true? It makes no sense to me. The marriage ended in 2012 and the divorce was finalized in 2013. Surely by 2014 DM would have named his sons as beneficiaries, with the proceeds to be administered by someone he trusted, such as his parents or his sister, should he die while his kids were minors.

If it’s false, how could Newlin make such a mistake?

Is it possible DM didn't know about the policy ?

I'm divorced and have a life insurance policy to the benefit of my ex-spouse to cover alimony payments if I did before paying. The required amount is the total amount remaining unpaid, so the required amount decreases each year. Could be something similar.

Is it possible DM didn't know about the policy ?
I took this to mean this is the life insurance they have discussed at trials. I think the issue is whether Wendi knew that the policy still had her as the beneficiary at the time. In other words, I believe the policy actually was changed by Dan to make his sister the beneficiary. However, the issue is what was Wendi's intent and her knowledge? If she didn't know that and thought she was still the beneficiary, it could be motive.

I could be wrong there. Maybe there's another policy we haven't heard about. However, I always say that I don't think that money was ever the determining factor. She grew up wealthy, she knows her parents have money for her if she needs. This was all about control of the kids and the A's winning at all costs.

Last edited:
The “Application and Affidavit for Search Warrant” prepared by Jason Newlin contains the following at the bottom of page 2:

Is this true? It makes no sense to me. The marriage ended in 2012 and the divorce was finalized in 2013. Surely by 2014 DM would have named his sons as beneficiaries, with the proceeds to be administered by someone he trusted, such as his parents or his sister, should he die while his kids were minors.

Very common in divorce cases where large amounts of child support are due to require payor to take out a policy FBO the ex-spouse (so that they will continue to receive $$$ for support in event of payor's death.)

I took this to mean this is the life insurance they have discussed at trials. I think the issue is whether Wendi knew that the policy still had her as the beneficiary at the time. In other words, I believe the policy actually was changed by Dan to make his sister the beneficiary. However, the issue is what was Wendi's intent and her knowledge? If she didn't know that and thought she was still the beneficiary, it could be motive.

I could be wrong there. Maybe there's another policy we haven't heard about. However, I always say that I don't think that money was ever the determining factor. She grew up wealthy, she knows her parents have money for her if she needs. This was all about control of the kids and the A's winning at all costs.
There was some talk at trial by GC about her contesting Dans sister being the executor (or whatever its called) of the dispersements of the policy for the boys. Wendi denied doing this. I have to think Georgia asked her for a reason. The policy I believe was changed from Wendi being executor after the divorce (not sure if the policy originally had W as beneficiary), but the policy was purchased while they were in counseling months prior to her handing him papers.
I have wondered why at that particular time, he bought life insurance.
Maybe at Wendi’s urging? That info wasn’t revealed at trial.

I think it's incorrect. The beneficiaries were the kids with his sister as executor. Maybe they made the error when trying to get the warrant application in quickly. JMO.

I believe this is an error. I’ve read Ruth’s book. She says that he changed the beneficiary to the kids during the divorce. I believe Wendi’s testimony has been consistent with that. I did read somewhere that she contacted the insurance company about this after the murder, though. She may have believed she was the beneficiary, I don’t know.

ETA - maybe it’s just clumsily written. Maybe they mean that at one point she WAS the beneficiary.

Last edited:
Your conscience can’t eat away at you if you don’t have one, speaking hypothetically.
Yeah the death of DM won't be eating away at them, zero *advertiser censored*ks given re murdering him. WA's anger, hatred and bitterness towards her ex actually increased after he was killed. But they have had little peace since his death. They've all been struggling with the stress that they were about to be arrested for many years. I almost think WA would be relieved when she is eventually arrested. She knows that day is coming. How can you live your life knowing any day the police will be knocking at your door.

There was some talk at trial by GC about her contesting Dans sister being the executor (or whatever its called) of the dispersements of the policy for the boys. Wendi denied doing this. I have to think Georgia asked her for a reason. The policy I believe was changed from Wendi being executor after the divorce (not sure if the policy originally had W as beneficiary), but the policy was purchased while they were in counseling months prior to her handing him papers.
I have wondered why at that particular time, he bought life insurance.
Maybe at Wendi’s urging? That info wasn’t revealed at trial.
I remember GC asking about that, too. That's what I was getting at. If Wendi thought she was going to be the beneficiary, it could partly go to motive. She probably did contact the life insurance company and try to claim it. I think there is a lot that we will learn. Of course, she will put a benign spin on it to say, of course, some mad men just killed my husband and I need to take care of my boys lol. She'll probably go on to say that she was relieved that she wasn't the beneficiary lol

This will be an unpopular thought but one character in all of this that I find some empathy for (outside of Markel family) is KM.
There's a reason why she will die in prison. She was instrumental in the death of an innocent man. But like many criminals, they elicit sympathy because they are attractive or charismatic and most importantly, alive. DM is dead and like many victims, are easily forgotten about. She could have prevented this murder, she didn't, she's just as guilty as the guy that pulled the trigger. Your empathy is misguided.

I believe this is an error. I’ve read Ruth’s book. She says that he changed the beneficiary to the kids during the divorce. I believe Wendi’s testimony has been consistent with that. I did read somewhere that she contacted the insurance company about this after the murder, though. She may have believed she was the beneficiary, I don’t know.

ETA - maybe it’s just clumsily written. Maybe they mean that at one point she WAS the beneficiary.
It’s kind of suspect that he bought that policy while they were in counseling, and she wanted “out”.
I wondering if that was part of the bargaining power she had. It was clear she no longer wanted the marriage but he was still trying.
There are so many cases these days of life insurance policies purchased soon before murder.

A few weeks ago most of the legal analysts speaking about this case were in agreement that there was not enough to arrest WA, but in the last week or so, that sentiment seems to have changed. More and more I am hearing about "when" WA is arrested rather than "if".

My heart goes out to those 2 boys who never asked for any of this. HA is too old to care for them, what will happen to them when WA is taken into custody?

Separate from what Wendi believed about the insurance and what was in the warrant application, I thought there was an implication at trial that regardless of the kids being the beneficiaries, the money still goes to Wendi on behalf of the kid -- meaning yes, Shelly has to approve and transfer the money, but the $ actually goes to Wendi because the kids are still young. I imagine she has to account for the actual spending of the money, but not sure.

Yeah the death of DM won't be eating away at them, zero *advertiser censored*ks given re murdering him. WA's anger, hatred and bitterness towards her ex actually increased after he was killed. But they have had little peace since his death. They've all been struggling with the stress that they were about to be arrested for many years. I almost think WA would be relieved when she is eventually arrested. She knows that day is coming. How can you live your life knowing any day the police will be knocking at your door.

Or a "friend" of SG/LR is knocking at your door or following you ?

Very common in divorce cases where large amounts of child support are due to require payor to take out a policy FBO the ex-spouse (so that they will continue to receive $$$ for support in event of payor's death.)
This is true. My SIL and BIL went through a very contentious divorce and he was made to pay a huge about in alimony and child support. They were only married 9 years! He is considerably older than my SIL. The judge ruled that he had to get a life insurance policy to cover alimony and child support payments in the event of his death. Florida.

So many live destroyed over this senseless murder plot. All because one spoiled woman didn't get her way. That one attorney, DeCoste (sp?), really rattled WA on the stand in KM's trial by saying "We are all here because of you and your failed marriage". The truest words spoken in all of these trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01