FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #15

Status
Not open for further replies.

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
Florida State University professor Dan Markel was found in his Tallahassee, Florida, home on Friday. Police say there were no signs of robbery or burglary and have yet to disclose any motive.
According to Tallahassee police, officers found Markel after a neighbor called 911 at about 11 a.m. with reports of a "loud bang."

Markel, 41, was rushed to a local hospital, where he died the following day. "While we cannot release specific information or details regarding this case, the Violent Crimes Unit is releasing that Mr. Markel's cause of death was a fatal gunshot wound to the head," Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said in a statement.
By Monday, police had categorized the case as a homicide, and according to Tallahassee Police Department spokesman David Northway, Markel was the intended target.
Clues sought in slaying of FSU law professor Dan Markel - CNN
Probable Cause documents
Leon County Court Motions (dissolution of marriage)

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9

Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14

Last edited by a moderator:
I predicted this would be their defense. I find it hard to believe such an experienced prosecutor like GC wouldn’t have predicted it. It’s the only defense Charlie has. Also glad to see that Mentour Lawyer agrees with me that Donna and Charlie are in lockstep with this defense. There’s a huge conflict of interest for Rashbaum and it seems unethical for him to not advise Charlie he should take a plea deal. JMO

@Gypsy Road re that old Tara Kawass interview you posted on the last page.
Also notice what she says about Wendi at around the 16minute mark and how Kawass says she recently changed her view after reading Markels victim impacts and comparing that to what WA testified to on that matter. ( Access to grand kids)
Then Tara says wtte she can't say what she really thinks of Wendi because they're both members of the Florida Bar. (IMO Tara would've liked to state that for a lawyer, WA is sure willing to lie in court. )

The Princess of Perjury ( imo)

Last edited:
@Gypsy Road re that old Tara Kawass interview you posted on the last page.
Also notice what she says about Wendi at around the 16minute mark and how Kawass says she recently changed her view after reading Markels victim impacts and comparing that to what WA testified to on that matter. Then Tara says wtte she can't say what she really thinks of Wendi because they're both members of the Florida Bar.

The Princess of Perjury ( imo)
Oh yes! I noticed! It’s evident she thinks Wendi is 100% involved, but she can’t come right out and say it. Regardless how I felt about TK defending KM, I thought it was a very enlightening interview.

Not that I am aware of.
I doubt that the Pros did or would offer him one anyway.
That’s what I was thinking! Unless he was willing to throw the entire family under the bus, I can’t see them offering. I personally don’t think Charlie would be willing to turn on his family. They are too enmeshed.

I agree. Legally, Donna’s trial would be a brand new trial, and there would be no reference to what Charlie said previously.

I think there’s a chance Charlie won’t testify in this one. That’s why it’s really important that the state make its case without reference to Charlie’s theory. I think they’re just not trying hard enough to do that like they did with Katie. If Charlie doesn’t testify and incriminate himself, they’re going to be left with the case they’ve made. Based on what they’ve done so far, it might seem a little confusing and incomplete. I’m only basing that on some comments here by people new to the case who seem confused about the importance and direction of certain lines of questioning. And the people on here are probably smarter than the average juror. (I bet Charlie’s jury consultant was told to look for people who weren’t very bright, or rule out people who were)
True. Could be. In terms of social media postings, though, we know that in any arena, whether it is politics or others, there are people who make posts specifically to advocate for certain people. Hired to do in some instances. I have no doubt that is being done in this case as well. People who are defense adjacent making social media posts to make a certain narrative.

Having said that, I can see where there may be some questions. KM herself at her trial asked GC during cross why the Adelson Institute would write her checks as part of her payoff instead of just giving her the cash. Again, I have said that the state will have to be painstakingly detailed in going through all the reasons why the defense makes no sense. I do think CA will argue he told DA about the "extortion" of him, but those taps still contradict that defense.

Donna, I don't believe can testify because of her own legal issues. I don't see how they can logically try to say that DA knew about this supposed extortion against CA and explain DolceV. Why would Charlie be lamenting to KM how he's so worried about his mother, that his elderly mother has diarrhea and can't sleep after the bump to the woman who is extorting them? Why would he be giving the mastermind extortor instructions on how to make a phone call and what to say to, who they presume is the FBI or not?

And as I've already said, why would CA, if he's truly petrified of katie, be screaming at her in those taps that she better call that number and find out what the F is going on, and fix it. He is supposed to be so petrified for his life & his family from her? And the biggest question, after they all went to jail, why was he even more scared according to all the testimony? He should've been relieved that all these people who were supposedly threatening his life were behind bars. And of course he should've gone to the police to make sure that even if they are found not guilty of murder, they will be found guilty of extortion for what they did to him allegedly. It's ludicrous, but the state needs to really explain that to the jury to make sure that they don't leave any room for them to deduce anything. You have to spell it out and spoonfeed it to the jury, which could be in closing. I think they will.

IMO, they'd offer him a plea in a heartbeat if he turned on the family and implicated WA and DA as the masterminds of the murder plot.
but if the State feels they have a strong chance he'll be found guilty and the State already planned to go after Donna after Charlie is found guilty, would this be the right moment to offer CA a deal?

TBC I doubt CA was offered or that CA would entertain any deal - give up family - at this point. He also believes he has a chance with this crazy defense

Last edited:
After the brief remark of Wendi possibly being on the phone when she drove near the house/crime scene, I visited the JusticeForDan website again and was reminded of the slew of alleged phone calls that took place that day of the murder. Seeing them all listed out like this was quite eye-opening

Link - https://www.justicefordan.com/blank-page

Attachments

• BB91D598-BBF9-466C-BC63-BF37F393E094.jpeg
    BB91D598-BBF9-466C-BC63-BF37F393E094.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 44
  • CAE32AC2-F390-4991-B313-8338BB0D42F7.jpeg
    CAE32AC2-F390-4991-B313-8338BB0D42F7.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 41
  • 07F2F797-6974-4A98-8866-01D8791417FC.jpeg
    07F2F797-6974-4A98-8866-01D8791417FC.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 702571CB-0F81-4DAF-86DE-188B66071165.jpeg
    702571CB-0F81-4DAF-86DE-188B66071165.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 74DC2027-D8DC-4485-BBC9-86621C8A360D.jpeg
    74DC2027-D8DC-4485-BBC9-86621C8A360D.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 45
True. Could be. In terms of social media postings, though, we know that in any arena, whether it is politics or others, there are people who make posts specifically to advocate for certain people. Hired to do in some instances. I have no doubt that is being done in this case as well. People who are defense adjacent making social media posts to make a certain narrative.

Having said that, I can see where there may be some questions. KM herself at her trial asked GC during cross why the Adelson Institute would write her checks as part of her payoff instead of just giving her the cash. Again, I have said that the state will have to be painstakingly detailed in going through all the reasons why the defense makes no sense. I do think CA will argue he told DA about the "extortion" of him, but those taps still contradict that defense.

Donna, I don't believe can testify because of her own legal issues. I don't see how they can logically try to say that DA knew about this supposed extortion against CA and explain DolceV. Why would Charlie be lamenting to KM how he's so worried about his mother, that his elderly mother has diarrhea and can't sleep after the bump to the woman who is extorting them? Why would he be giving the mastermind extortor instructions on how to make a phone call and what to say to, who they presume is the FBI or not?

And as I've already said, why would CA, if he's truly petrified of katie, be screaming at her in those taps that she better call that number and find out what the F is going on, and fix it. He is supposed to be so petrified for his life & his family from her? And the biggest question, after they all went to jail, why was he even more scared according to all the testimony? He should've been relieved that all these people who were supposedly threatening his life were behind bars. And of course he should've gone to the police to make sure that even if they are found not guilty of murder, they will be found guilty of extortion for what they did to him allegedly. It's ludicrous, but the state needs to really explain that to the jury to make sure that they don't leave any room for them to deduce anything. You have to spell it out and spoonfeed it to the jury, which could be in closing. I think they will.
See, that’s why it’s confusing. If Katie is the one who is extorting him, they could argue that they thought the bump was ANOTHER person extorting them (extortion on extortion, as they claim), and so he was talking to Katie because she might know “who it is.”. Their conversations are consistent with that. It’s not what happened, but it’s consistent. They appear to be worried that someone is extorting them, and he is asking Katie to find out who it is.

That’s what I was thinking! Unless he was willing to throw the entire family under the bus, I can’t see them offering. I personally don’t think Charlie would be willing to turn on his family. They are too enmeshed.
Right. I think Rashbaum if he was ONLY looking out for Charlie’s best interests should get him to tell the truth and save himself. I don’t think the state would let him walk but he would get much less time. Rivera basically got no time since it was concurrent with his Fed sentence. But I agree with you, Charlie is too enmeshed with Donna to think about his self-interest. JMO

Right. I think Rashbaum if he was ONLY looking out for Charlie’s best interests should get him to tell the truth and save himself. I don’t think the state would let him walk but he would get much less time. Rivera basically got no time since it was concurrent with his Fed sentence. But I agree with you, Charlie is too enmeshed with Donna to think about his self-interest.
BBM - maybe now ... but some time in state prison might alter Charlie's thinking.

See, that’s why it’s confusing. If Katie is the one who is extorting him, they could argue that they thought the bump was ANOTHER person extorting them (extortion on extortion, as they claim), and so he was talking to Katie because she might know “who it is.”. Their conversations are consistent with that. It’s not what happened, but it’s consistent. They appear to be worried that someone is extorting them, and he is asking Katie to find out who it is.
Yes. Obfuscation is the name of the game for the defense. To be sure. Pick less than the brightest bulbs in the tanning bed, and then muddy the waters. They want to confuse just one or two to say well, maybe that did happen to vote NG. But again, he was screaming at her in the taps. Over and over. He wouldn’t do that if she was extorting and threatening him. He’s supposed to be “afraid” of her & the hitmen coming for him. Never went to the police to say not only am I innocent, these people are threatening me and my family. After they’re all arrested, he still doesn’t. Nine years later he doesn’t, like Casey Anthony’s defense to wait until trial to say the baby accidentally drowned. But it did work, I still have concerns why it worked, but it did.

They’re talking in code on the phone for the first extortion, but telling KM in person he’s not going to let his mom continue to be nervous with diarrhea so find out who the f it is and fix it. He’ll pay anything to whack those extortionists. Some Nazi ish he said. Makes the defense implausible, but the state has to spell that out and spoonfeed it.

Last edited:
Agree zero chance he flips on them. Zero. He loves his mom. May be the only one he does love besides himself. He did this for his mom. No way he ever rolls on her. Maybe DA says it was all her and saves her kids thinking she’s old now so she’ll plead health problems and skate. But I doubt it.

After the brief remark of Wendi possibly being on the phone when she drove near the house/crime scene, I visited the JusticeForDan website again and was reminded of the slew of alleged phone calls that took place that day of the murder. Seeing them all listed out like this was quite eye-opening

Link - https://www.justicefordan.com/blank-page
Absolutely. Let’s hope the State has this on a chart to show the jury. What they really need to bring out is how ridiculous the story of the TV repair is. First, it’s clear from the tap between DA and CA that the TV was code when he says they want $5000 from you? When she says the TV is five. But the notion that these wealthy people would have all of these phone calls and effort over a cheap TV is beyond incredulity.

JL said it was a TV you would see you in a dorm room. WA is really going to call her brother and speak to him for 18 minutes about whether or not, she needs to buy a new TV or repair it when there is no way to repair it and it would cost more than the TV? And all she had to do was go on Best Buy‘s website to look up the cost of a new TV? For people who have a lot of money like they do. Ridiculous. But the State needs to spell that out.

Yes. Obfuscation is the name of the game for the defense. To be sure. Pick less than the brightest bulbs in the tanning bed, and then muddy the waters. They want to confuse just one or two to say well, maybe that did happen to vote NG. But again, he was screaming at her in the taps. Over and over. He wouldn’t do that if she was extorting and threatening him. He’s supposed to be “afraid” of her & the hitmen coming for him. Never went to the police to say not only am I innocent, these people are threatening me and my family. After they’re all arrested, he still doesn’t. Nine years later he doesn’t, like Casey Anthony’s defense to wait until trial to say the baby accidentally drowned. But it did work, I’m still have concerns why it worked, but it did.

They’re talking in code on the phone for the first extortion, but telling KM in person he’s not going to let his mom continue to be nervous with diarrhea so find out who the f it is and fix it. He’ll pay anything to whack those extortionists. Some Nazi ish he said. Makes the defense implausible, but the state has to spell that out and spoonfeed it.
I went to a lecture by Casey Anthony’s attorney. It made his career. He seemed completely shocked that he won with that defense. If Rashbaum can do this, it will make his career as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57