FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Court Adjourned for the day.

Reconvening on Monday morning, October 6, 2023, at 8:30 am (EST), Closing Arguments -- don't forget to set your clocks back one hour at 2:00 am on Sunday. I know it's hard to stay up so late to do so, but you need to -- you don't want to miss any of the Closing!
ETA: I know this is backwards -- you wouldn't miss anything if you didn't "Fall back" -- but you know what I mean.

Another similar case in Jacksonville FL is the Bridegan case if any of you are interested in following it. Ex-wife and her new husband hire hit man (who just so happens to rent a house from new husband) to kill Jared Bridegan, a father of 4 children. There is a thread here.

Or he felt he couldn’t help him anymore.
If Rashbaum gets one or two contrarian type jurors to give CA the benefit of the doubt I think that result will be a win for Rashbaum, career-wise. ( Considering the ridiculous defense theory, the number of years the state became familiar with the case details, the hand he was dealt - hung jury is respectable result for an atty with limited crim defence experience)

Anyway, fingers crossed for Monday and her summation. The state's has to be better than Rashbaums?! Praying emoji

Being a follower of these cases gives us a different perspective than the jurors. If I hadn't followed this case as close as I have I'm wondering if CA's testimony might have convinced me enough to have reasonable doubt. It seems most in here are saying CA did terrible on the stand, but I think he did pretty good or at least he did better than I thought he would. As of right now, I think there's a 50/50 chance he'll walk. jmo

Last edited:
If Rashbaum gets one or two contrarian type jurors to give CA the benefit of the doubt I think that result will be a win for Rashbaum, career-wise. ( Considering the ridiculous defense theory, the number of years the state became familiar with the case details, the hand he was dealt - hung jury is respectable result for an atty with limited crim defence experience)

Anyway, fingers crossed for Monday and her summation. The state's has to be better than Rashbaums?! Praying emoji
If you’re a defense lawyer, and the evidence against your client looks like this, and his story is just not believable, do you try to get him to take a plea? If you’re not successful, does he just go to another lawyer? Is that what happened here? His chances of getting convicted are pretty high. It was the same with Katie. I guess I just don’t understand how defense attorneys can do this job. But that’s why I don’t do it.

Dear God!
Tim J says he thinks it's 50/50 chance of a hung jury
He’s a defense attorney, he may be coming at it from that perspective. There are things yo can criticize about the state. But the defendant’s whole demeanor in this case shows guilt, in my opinion. And he wasn’t rehabilitated on redirect.

Another similar case in Jacksonville FL is the Bridegan case if any of you are interested in following it. Ex-wife and her new husband hire hit man (who just so happens to rent a house from new husband) to kill Jared Bridegan, a father of 4 children. There is a thread here.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check it out. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

He’s a defense attorney, he may be coming at it from that perspective. There are things yo can criticize about the state. But the defendant’s whole demeanor in this case shows guilt, in my opinion. And he wasn’t rehabilitated on redirect.
I hope you're right.
I wouldn't have put it a 50/50 chance of a hung jury. That's high.
I'm biased so ofc I agree that his demeanour displayed his guilt, his bad character & capacity for this crime & this cockamamie defense theory but I cannot predict whether 100% jury see it the same way as me ( I've been following case too long )

We keep hearing a lot about juror reactions and it's hard to judge how accurately those reactions are being interpreted. Mind reading is a rare skill, misinterpretation isn't
Gonna see what Joel thinks of juror reactions to cross/redirect & will paste it here if he says anything interesting

Last edited:
I was a trial lawyer for 14 years before changing careers to establish a company that conducts forensic documentation of crime scenes and forensic visualization for trial teams. We've worked with many jury consultants, and I've testified in many cases (in fact, I testified in a major murder trial last week). Despite all that experience I'm very aware that juries are unpredictable. Nevertheless, I personally view a hung jury likelihood at less than ten percent in this case. I view an acquittal as virtually nil.

As frustrating as a hung jury would be, I also agree with Tim on Surviving the Survivor that a re-trial would likely include Donna as co-defendant and the odds of conviction would be higher.

While I believe Georgia missed some opportunities, I also feel she exposed a number of glaring weaknesses in the defense. I would bet a reasonable amount of money she will get a conviction.

I really like this judge. That was cute about the red velvet cake. CA did better than I originally thought he would but he's had at least one year to memorize this defense. I don't think it will be enough to get him an acquittal though. Maybe a hung jury. It really just depends on the different personalities of the jurors.

Does anyone know how many trials that result in a hung jury before a prosecutor will usually stop prosecuting? Because that's what I think would be the worst case scenario in this case. If this case results in a hung jury and the next one does too (although unlikely) and then they stop prosecuting it.

I found CA to be credible. If he wasn't, he would've been stumbling over his words.
He WAS stumbling over his words. And getting really quiet. And realizing after he answered that he was supposed to say something else, so then adding to what he said and contradicting himself. He did that a lot. “Were you scared?” “No.” “Well, I mean, yes, I was a little scared, but no.” He did that stuff a LOT.

I was a trial lawyer for 14 years before changing careers to establish a company that conducts forensic documentation of crime scenes and forensic visualization for trial teams. We've worked with many jury consultants, and I've testified in many cases (in fact, I testified in a major murder trial last week). Despite all that experience I'm very aware that juries are unpredictable. Nevertheless, I personally view a hung jury likelihood at less than ten percent in this case. I view an acquittal as virtually nil.

As frustrating as a hung jury would be, I also agree with Tim on Surviving the Survivor that a re-trial would likely include Donna as co-defendant and the odds of conviction would be higher.

While I believe Georgia missed some opportunities, I also feel she exposed a number of glaring weaknesses in the defense. I would bet a reasonable amount of money she will get a conviction.
Glad to hear all that

PS Do you know why their odds would be higher if CA & DA were tried together next time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greygooose