FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
The state issued her a subpoena and she was required to comply and testify under Fla. Stat. §914.04. Under that statute she has use and derivative use immunity for her compelled testimony.
Georgia was on STS a year ago and halfway through the interview she explains it. Basically, if she is found to lie, she loses immunity for that question.That’s how I’ve understood it. It was a good interview.I’m always directing people to it who ask. It seems oversimplified but thats the gist of it.

Georgia was on STS a year ago and halfway through the interview she explains it. Basically, if she is found to lie, she loses immunity for that question.That’s how I’ve understood it. It was a good interview.I’m always directing people to it who ask. It seems oversimplified but thats the gist of it.
I saw her STS appearance. I thought her answer was brief and it wasn't really explained, which I found unfortunate.

Yes it's a pity the link can't be posted but as you said previously, it's very quick to find via net search and STS have also time-stamped it to make it even faster to find the segment.
But Georgia was careful with her words and caveats on this - just listening to it. Not surprised

re bold

including Rashbaum's?
tbc Does that extend to the wide-ranging topics she testified to in court under cross from Rashbaum?
It’s a rule of procedure that cross-examination is limited to areas raised on direct. In other words, Rash simply couldn’t have asked Wendi about anything the state didn’t ask her about.

Since the state most likely limited its questioning to areas they knew they had independent sources for, Rash’s questioning would necessarily have been limited to those areas they had independent sources for as well, and thus her testimony on cross would not likely impact the state in any future proceeding.

Does that make sense? Had Rash tried to ask Wendi a question beyond what was asked on direct, the state most likely would have objected.

Last edited:
It’s a rule of procedure that cross-examination is limited to areas raised on direct. In other words, Rash simply couldn’t have asked Wendi about anything the state didn’t ask her about.

Since the state most likely limited its questioning to areas they knew they had independent sources for, Rash’s questioning would necessarily have been limited to those areas they had independent sources for as well, and thus her testimony on cross would not likely impact the state in any future proceeding.

Does that make sense? Had Rash tried to ask Wendi a question beyond what was asked on direct, the state most likely would have objected.
Yes I understand the basic rule of cross exam and ' areas' however I was thinking of specifics such as the stock the bar invitation or when he got her to recount all her Tally plans for the rest of 2014 ( post July 18th 2014 - dates with guys, property etc)

Yes I understand the basic rule of cross exam and ' areas' however I was thinking of specifics such as the stock the bar invitation or when he got her to recount all her Tally plans for the rest of 2014 ( post July 18th 2014 - dates with guys, property etc)
It's ALL subject to use/derivative use immunity. Even if the cross was broad and/or the answers exceeded the scope of the questions -- it doesn't matter. If the testimony was admitted/not stricken, it's subject to that immunity, at least that's my understanding. JMO.

It's ALL subject to use/derivative use immunity. Even if the cross was broad and/or the answers exceeded the scope of the questions -- it doesn't matter. If the testimony was admitted/not stricken, it's subject to that immunity, at least that's my understanding. JMO.
The fact that she had plans for the rest of 2014 in Tallahassee is pretty self-serving, so she might want that to come in anyway. That’s just my take. It’s not super relevant to proving her guilt, in my opinion. In fact, Rash seemed to be using it to show just the opposite - that she LIKED it in Tally and so didn’t want to leave, so why would they kill Dan? And there are independent sources for the fact that she looked into buying a house, ford example. I just don’t think the state would want to introduce anything like that in an eventual proceeding against her, because to me it seems like it would actually be helpful to her, so I don’t think the immunity will be an issue with respect to that testimony.

The fact that she had plans for the rest of 2014 in Tallahassee is pretty self-serving, so she might want that to come in anyway. That’s just my take. It’s not super relevant to proving her guilt, in my opinion. And there are independent sources for the fact that she looked into buying a house, for example. I just don’t think the state would want to introduce anything like that in an eventual proceeding against her. It helps her.
I wasn't addressing the specifics or tactics, just the general principal of immunity under a state subpoena. We know the state can proceed on evidence that is independent of her testimony -- I don't think that needs to be repeated in all the posts.

Last edited:
Silly question, but is Donna locked into the same double extortion defense, or only if CA’s testimony is brought in somehow? What do you think her defense will be?
Her defense will be, "I'm a skinny, helpless old lady who simply did what my son told me to do." The prosecution will introduce her vicious emails, action at the bump, and the wiretaps to prove otherwise. Paraphrasing along the lines of "It is about you and me and this TV will cost 5 thousand dollars."
It will be an event if DA testifies on her behalf. Does anyone believe she can hold it together on cross?

Her defense will be, "I'm a skinny, helpless old lady who simply did what my son told me to do." The prosecution will introduce her vicious emails, action at the bump, and the wiretaps to prove otherwise. Paraphrasing along the lines of "It is about you and me and this TV will cost 5 thousand dollars."
It will be an event if DA testifies on her behalf. Does anyone believe she can hold it together on cross?
She might offer, as a defense, that she didn’t know anything at all until months after the murder when Charlie came to her and told her to put Katie on the payroll so she could get insurance for her kids. She could then possibly explain the bump calls as her being afraid the feds were onto her and Charlie for insurance fraud, or that Katie’s friends had heard about the payroll scam and weee shaking them down for money. (“It concerns the two of us and an ex girlfriend.”).

Katie did testify that the money was wet and appeared to have been washed, (did she say in her proffer that Charlie told her his mom washed it? The search warrants seem suggest she did, but I don’t recall her saying that on the stand, only that she thought it might have been washed.) Her lawyer could try to discredit Katie as a liar and convicted murderer.

The cell tower records do show Donna outside Charlie’s house on the night of the murder, and there are some texts between her and Charlie indicating she is outside his house, so her lawyers might have to try to get around that somehow.

There are those emails, but her attorneys might try to argue, as Rashbaum did, that those emails show that she was trying to use LEGAL means to get Dan to agree to the relocation, and the emails mention nothing about murder. I’m not saying it will work, but it might be something her attorneys might try. She might say she knew nothing, Charlie did this himself.

The attempted flight to Vietnam does show consciousness of guilt, in my opinion that could be a problem for her.

If I recall correctly, the state objected when Rashbaum attempted to delve into the stock the bar party. I think he asked a few questions but then there was a sidebar and he moved onto another topic.

Just wondering if there is any update in the court site for the next hearing for DA?
Leon County #23CF3226A

TIA! :)
New Entries in Donna Adelson’s docket as of 1/9/2024:

1. Case Mngmt conf. 1/30/2024 at 2:30 PM w/t Judge Everett at Room 3B,

2. Private attorney assigned/added: Rashbaum Daniel,

3. Order Granting Motion for Sub of Counsel.

Basically,

1. Dan Rashbaum “took and/or got gifted the bread from the mouth” of the Miami attorney who a/ talked about extradition from Miami Dade County to Leon County and b/ enjoining the jail or allow a No Bond 1st degree murder defendant to go home (no less.), and

2. Robert Alex Morris is NOT listed as DA counsel in the docket.

Attachments

• DA CASE MNGMT 1-30-2024.PNG
    DA CASE MNGMT 1-30-2024.PNG
    57.5 KB · Views: 13

Basically,

1. Dan Rashbaum “took and/or got gifted the bread from the mouth” of the Miami attorney who a/ talked about extradition from Miami Dade County to Leon County and b/ enjoining the jail or allow a No Bond 1st degree murder defendant to go home (no less.), and

Morris is now co-counsel, only the primary attorney is listed on the court screen- it's in the motion.

Basically,

Thank you! :)

"Vicious emails"... you have a way with words. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members