FL - Jared Bridegan, 33, father of 4, ambushed & killed, Jacksonville Beach, 16 Feb 2022 *3 arrests, 1 guilty* #2

Snip
In the hearing, the court was expected to hear testimony from an agent, Lindsey Butler, from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) who saw one attorney-client privileged message during the investigation.

But the agent did not testify. Defense attorney, Patrick Korody, told the court the ATF would only allow Butler to testify if an ATF attorney was present as well. Korody said to have another person from the state hear what was in the message would be a further violation of attorney-client privilege for Gardner.

Nothing definitive was decided in regards to the message, but both the defense and the state said they still want to move forward with the April 19th hearing on the motion to disqualify the State Attorney's Office Fourth Judicial Circuit.
I constantly worry about possible derailing with this case... Massive resources on the defence side....can influence.

Snip
WJXT, joined by other local media, opposed a closed hearing because the public has a right to know what information the prosecution may have had in building its case against Gardner and Fernandez and whether that is enough to justify disqualifying the state attorney’s office and assigning this case to a prosecutor in another part of Florida.

Judge London Kite took the defense motion and media objections under advisement and will announce her decision before Thursday’s evidentiary hearing, beginning at 1 p.m.

So - it looks like I missed a hearing - on 4/11/24, yesterday? I do have her next on 4/19/24. So I will just update my notes.
Unfortunately I can not access the link - not available in my country....

So - it looks like I missed a hearing - on 4/11/24, yesterday? I do have her next on 4/19/24. So I will just update my notes.
Unfortunately I can not access the link - not available in my country....
@Niner can you, at least, read articles? Or is it just the Duval county site?

In the hearing, the court was expected to hear testimony from an agent, Lindsey Butler, from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) who saw one attorney-client privileged message during the investigation.

Gardner's defense team says Butler had access to over 800,000 text messages Gardner sent from 2016-2022, so they are seeking information about what specific message she read.

But the agent did not testify. Defense attorney, Patrick Korody, told the court the ATF would only allow Butler to testify if an ATF attorney was present as well. Korody said to have another person from the state hear what was in the message would be a further violation of attorney-client privilege for Gardner.

Updated: 7:07 PM EDT April 11, 2024

"We are talking about the most sacred privileges of privileges. We are talking about my client who is facing the death penalty and I can't just roll over and agree that we are going to have a gentleman's handshake that he is going to do this the right way. That happened 15 months ago in a courtroom in this courthouse with different attorneys, with the state and they made a handshake agreement that they were going to have a taint team and they were going to do it right and now we know how that worked. So I hope the court understands that there is a lot of trepidation from the defense side that this is going to be done right," Patrick Korody told the court.

Korody, the state attorney's office and Judge London Kite spent much of the hearing discussing various ways to remedy the situation and find a path forward to establish what was seen in the message. Nothing definitive was decided in regards to the message, but both the defense and the state said they still want to move forward with the April 19th hearing on the motion to disqualify the State Attorney's Office Fourth Judicial Circuit.

Those hearings will happen next week for both Gardner and Fernandez on their motions to disqualify the State Attorney's Office Fourth Judicial Circuit from the case over allegations of mishandling attorney-client privileged materials.

Thursday, April 18th:
*Motions Hearing (Saldana only) (@ 9am ET) – FL – Jared Galen Bridegan (33), father of 4 ambushed & killed (shot 4 times), his 2-year-old daughter was just feet away in the back seat, Jacksonville Beach, Feb. 16, 2022. – *Shanna Lee Gardner-Fernandez (36/now 37) indicted & arrested (8/17/23 by ATF agents in West Richland, Wash.), charged & arraigned (11/3/23) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder, solicitation to commit a capital felony & child abuse. DA will seek the DP. Held without bail on Fugitive warrant (in Benton County, WA). Was extradited on 10/20/23 to Florida. Plead not guilty. No bond.
*Mario Enrique Fernandez Saldana (34/now 35) arrested (in Kissimmee, Orange County, 3/22/23) & charged & indicted (3/16/23) & arraigned (4/4/23) with 1st degree murder with a weapon, conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder, solicitation to commit a capital felony & child abuse. In Orange County jail waiting for transfer to Jacksonville in Duval County. Transferred to Duval County on 3/22/23. Held without bond. Plead not guilty. DA will seek the DP.
Trial was set to begin on 4/13/24 for both was cancelled with no further dates.
Judge London M. Kite. State attorney Christina Simak Stiller. Gardener defense attorneys Jose Angel Baez, lead counsel & Patrick K. Korody. Saldana defense attorneys Frank John Tassone, Jr., Jesse Driecer & James Hill.

Case & court info from 3/16/23 thru 4/4/24 reference post #389 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...-feb-2022-3-arrests-1-guilty-2.689030/page-20

4/8/24 Update: Gardner: Present: Judge London M. Kite, Asst. State attorney Christina Simak Stifler, attorney for Gardner Jose Angel Baez. Others present: A. Mizrahi (ASA & R. Korody for defense. Next status hearing on 4/10/24 @ 9am & motions hearing on 4/19/24 from 1pm to 5pm.
4/10/24 Docket update: Gardner: Hearing on motion. Judge London Kite presiding. Present: Asst. State attorney Christina Simak Stifler, for defendant Jose Baez, defendant appearance waived. Other present: Patrick Korody (defense), Jennifer Mansfield (FCN & FL Times Union), Edward L. Birk (WJXT) & Minch Minchin (WJAX). Court date previously set on 4/11/24 for in camera hearing. Hearing on defendant's Motion to close portion of 4/11/24 hearing to public held in full; taken under advisement; Order to be entered. Gardner’s attorney on Wednesday asked the court to close part of an evidentiary hearing on Thursday related to her motion to disqualify State Attorney Melissa Nelson’s office from prosecuting her in the alleged murder-for-hire plot against her ex-husband. Judge London Kite took the defense motion and media objections under advisement and will announce her decision before Thursday’s evidentiary hearing, beginning at 1pm on 4/11/24.
4/8/24 Update: Saldana: Present: Judge London M. Kite, Asst. State attorney Christina Simak Stifler, attorney for Saldana Frank John Tassone, Jr, defendant present in jail. Others present: A Mizrahi (ASA) & J. Dreicer, J. Hill & S. Day for defense. Next motion shearing on 5/3/24 from 9am to 12pm. 4/9/24 Update: Motion hearing on 4/18/24 @ 9am was added to docket.
4/11/24 Update: Gardner: In the evidentiary hearing, the court was expected to hear testimony from an agent, Lindsey Butler, from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF) who saw one attorney-client privileged message during the investigation. But the agent did not testify. Defense attorney, Patrick Korody, told the court the ATF would only allow Butler to testify if an ATF attorney was present as well. Korody said to have another person from the state hear what was in the message would be a further violation of attorney-client privilege for Gardner. Nothing definitive was decided in regards to the message, but both the defense & the state said they still want to move forward with the 4/19/24 hearing on the motion to disqualify the State Attorney's Office Fourth Judicial Circuit.
4/12/24 Docket update: Gardner & Saldana: Court Order vacating Order appointing the Honorable Robert M. Foster a Special Master.
*Henry Arthur Tenon (61/now 62) – Plead guilty (3/17/23) to 2nd degree murder & will testify against Saldana & Gardner. Status hearing on 5/6/24.

No update yet on Saldana's hearing from yesterday... at least I could not find anything - maybe the court site has an update @PayrollNerd ? :)

Friday, April 19th:
*Motions Hearing (Gardner only) (@ 1pm to 5pm ET) – FL – Jared Galen Bridegan (33), father of 4 ambushed & killed (shot 4 times), his 2-year-old daughter was just feet away in the back seat, Jacksonville Beach, Feb. 16, 2022. – *Shanna Lee Gardner-Fernandez (36/now 37) indicted & arrested (8/17/23 by ATF agents in West Richland, Wash.), charged & arraigned (11/3/23) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder, solicitation to commit a capital felony & child abuse. DA will seek the DP. Held without bail on Fugitive warrant (in Benton County, WA). Was extradited on 10/20/23 to Florida. Plead not guilty. No bond.
*Mario Enrique Fernandez Saldana (34/now 35) arrested (in Kissimmee, Orange County, 3/22/23) & charged & indicted (3/16/23) & arraigned (4/4/23) with 1st degree murder with a weapon, conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder, solicitation to commit a capital felony & child abuse. In Orange County jail waiting for transfer to Jacksonville in Duval County. Transferred to Duval County on 3/22/23. Held without bond. Plead not guilty. DA will seek the DP.
Trial was set to begin on 4/13/24 for both was cancelled with no further dates.
Judge London M. Kite. State attorney Christina Simak Stiller. Gardener defense attorneys Jose Angel Baez, lead counsel & Patrick K. Korody. Saldana defense attorneys Frank John Tassone, Jr., Jesse Driecer & James Hill.

Case & court info from 3/16/23 thru 4/9/24 reference post #415 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...-feb-2022-3-arrests-1-guilty-2.689030/page-21

4/11/24 Update: Gardner: In the evidentiary hearing, the court was expected to hear testimony from an agent, Lindsey Butler, from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF) who saw one attorney-client privileged message during the investigation. But the agent did not testify. Defense attorney, Patrick Korody, told the court the ATF would only allow Butler to testify if an ATF attorney was present as well. Korody said to have another person from the state hear what was in the message would be a further violation of attorney-client privilege for Gardner. Nothing definitive was decided in regards to the message, but both the defense & the state said they still want to move forward with the 4/19/24 hearing on the motion to disqualify the State Attorney's Office Fourth Judicial Circuit.
4/12/24 Docket update: Gardner & Saldana: Court Order vacating Order appointing the Honorable Robert M. Foster a Special Master. Saldana: Next motions hearing on 4/18/24 @ 9am. And motions hearing on 5/3/24 from 9am to 12pm.No update on 4/18/24 hearing yet.
*Henry Arthur Tenon (61/now 62) – Plead guilty (3/17/23) to 2nd degree murder & will testify against Saldana & Gardner. Status hearing on 5/6/24.

Video at link is 2 minutes (posted below) and speaks about the privilege violation...judge will rule on May 2.
SG hearing today.

The next hearing is May 2.

Author: firstcoastnews.com
Published: 6:07 PM EDT April 18, 2024
Updated: 6:07 PM EDT April 18, 2024

Last edited:
Video at link is 2 minutes (posted below) and speaks about the privilege violation...judge will rule on May 2.
SG hearing today.

The next hearing is May 2.

Author: firstcoastnews.com
Published: 6:07 PM EDT April 18, 2024
Updated: 6:07 PM EDT April 18, 2024

Since I can not access the link - is this date just for Saldana or both of them? TIA! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LyssBear93
Back