FL FL - Jean Stewart, 16, Miami Lakes, 25 March 1980

monkalup said:
Jean's parents have given DNA and we are awaiting the results of several different possible matches. The waiting seems to get harder, not easier...sigh.

Still searching for you Jean. No matter what...
I was so happy to hear that Jean's bio family has been found and that DNA is being tested. Does the testing include the Blue Mountain Doe? I pray for answers for you, no matter what they are.

I still cannot get over 2 minutes and she was gone! What are the chances that a perp is either lurking (was there any other cars nearby?), or a perp happened upon her sitting by herself and took her! That is so scary. The clerk in the store definately noticed that she was in the car? What did your brother do when he came out and she was gone? Did he go back in the store and call the police? Did the police come out and talk to everyone at the store, which was only your brother and the clerk? Was the car door ajar?

My mind is racing with all the info. I will wait for you to answer the questions before I write anymore.

gardenmom said:
Lauren, You sparked my interest with your PM tonight. I haven't visited this thread in a long time. I just wanted to tell you something before I finish reading the entire thread again. I wanted to thank you for taking in older foster kids. My parents took in young ones after my brother and I moved away from home. I think they were suffering the empty nest syndrome. Teens are harder to place, and I think they need the most help. Actually, I think they all need love, but teens are less likely to get taken in by a caring family. You are a wonderful person. :clap:

Now, back to reading...

I thank you for all the kind words!
You sure are right about the kids needing love. this is clearly the most important (and sadly often the most lacking) element in the "recovery" of most of these kids. My first son grew up to buy the house next door to me and played "uncle Louis" to all the subsequent kids. My Sheila is still in my life as well, giving me three grand children, lol!
My last son finished high school and college with me. Shortly after he graduated I had two heart attacks...and so haven't had any kids for just over one year. This has been the hardest time of all...

Thanks for your interest in my Jean's case. I have tried to answer some of your questions below.

gardenmom said:
I was so happy to hear that Jean's bio family has been found and that DNA is being tested. Does the testing include the Blue Mountain Doe?Yes it does, thankfully I pray for answers for you, no matter what they are.thanks! I pray for answers for all of us as well

I still cannot get over 2 minutes and she was gone!to this day I will not wait in a car in a parking lot for anyone for any reason What are the chances that a perp is either lurking (was there any other cars nearby?), or a perp happened upon her sitting by herself and took her!This is possible, of course. The neighborhood was very upscale, with the golf course, country club adjacent to the store. Beyond the golf course at the time was just horse country. Now, of course, it is just endless subdivisions That is so scary. The clerk in the store definately noticed that she was in the car? Yes, thankfully he did which meant my brother was cleared right away. Unfortunately, LE believed she had runaway for quite a number of years What did your brother do when he came out and she was gone? Did he go back in the store and call the police?Yes. He actually thought at first that she might have entered the store un-noticed behind him. Sadly that was not the case. but the clerk did see Jean in the car when they pulled up outside Did the police come out and talk to everyone at the store, which was only your brother and the clerk? Yes, and within minutes we were all out there looking for Jean. This occured about three blocks from the house and there were a dozen siblings, etc looking for her within minutes Was the car door ajar?No, but all of her possessions, including shoes and purse were still in the car. We never believed she would run away leaving her shoes, airline tickets, cash, etc behind. Especially wh en all she had to do was get on the plane and could have easily taken off after that

My mind is racing with all the info. I will wait for you to answer the questions before I write anymore.

monkalup said:
Jean Marie Stewart
Missing since March 25, 1980 from Miami Lakes, Dade County, Florida.
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 6, 1963
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian. Brown hair; brown eyes. Very small framed, but large busted.
Marks, Scars, Tattoos: Stewart has a scar on the underside of her right arm and a tattoo of a rose on her right upper arm.
Clothing: Stewart was last seen wearing jeans and a flowered shirt.
Dentals: She has protruding upper front teeth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Stewart was last seen in Miami Lakes, Florida on March 25, 1980. She was standing outside a 7-11 convenience store in Cypress Village at the time. Stewart was scheduled, and had purchased a plane ticket, to return to Pittsburgh PA (her hometown!) for a family wedding. It is not known if she ever arrived at her supposed destination.
The night before she was to leave, her friends had a going away party for her. A friend picked her up to bring her back to the house when she wanted to stop at the convenience store. The friend went in to make her purchase, as she had already removed her shoes. He was inside only minutes (there were no other customers) and when he returned, she was gone. Her purse, shoes and money were all still in the car. She never returned to the house to get money, ticket or other belongings. Foul play is suspected in her disappearance.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Stewart's case, please contact:
Miami Dade Police Department
Domestic Crimes Unit
305-418-7200
You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Number:
94502A

NCIC Number:
M-110831180
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited

there are photos and age enhancements available here

http://www.doenetwork.org/153dffl

Jean Marie was my foster sister and we are still looking for her. March 2005 it will be twenty five years, and we still need some answers.
God bless. I am saying a prayer for this case to be solved even as I write this. I have a sister that has been missing 30 years. It is very difficult and it does not get easy. Just wanted to encourage you to keeping praying and believing. This site has helped me vent and it has helped me to know others care and pray with me.

Thank you Joni and I completely agree. I started Porchlight for the Missing and Unidentified in Jean's honor as well. I did finally manage to get a small mention (but not much else) in a newspaper article. To my knowledge, other than the True Detective Magazine, it is the only "press" Jean Marie ever got.

Himebaugh disappearance still haunts 15 years later

By BRIAN IANIERI Staff Writer, (609) 463-6713
(Published: November 25, 2006)
MIDDLE TOWNSHIP — Fifteen years ago today, a freckle-faced boy disappeared from his neighborhood, leaving behind only a white sneaker and the memories of an 11-year-old who has never grown up.

Nov. 25, 1991, was the last time Mark Himebaugh was seen.

Each year since has been a year without an answer.

But his mother's eyes brighten and moisten with talk of a son who wouldn't swat a bumblebee in the house, but would capture it in a glass and set it free outside.

Maureen Himebaugh uses this date to do something positive and enjoy life with the memory of her son, she said.

“I'm ready for an answer. But I've also accepted that I may go to my grave and not know,” she said Friday from her home, where marsh reeds across the street blow in the wind.

“I just want an answer. That's all.”

She isn't alone.

“We're still looking for that one piece of information that might be out there that could close this case,” said Middle Township police Capt. Scott Webster, who 15 years ago was a patrolman assigned to the juvenile division.

“It's still on everybody's mind. Of course at the time it scared a lot of people, and we went from the quiet rural town where people still didn't lock their doors and their cars,” he said.

“It kind of was a rude awakening to show that this type of thing could happen anywhere, and for several months afterward, you saw parents closer. You didn't see the kids out at the playgrounds, you didn't see them out on the streets. Parents were holding their kids closer. It took that innocence away from the area,” Webster said.

The Himebaugh case is 15 years old, but is not considered a cold case, said Jerry Nance, supervisor of the forensic assistance unit at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Cases go cold when leads dry up and generations of detectives have come and gone, he said.

In Mark's case, police are still pursuing possibilities.

Several weeks ago, a person found bones that washed up on a Del Haven beach front. Police had the bones analyzed — they belonged to an animal. All the bones reported over the years have turned out to be an animal's, Webster said.

But police still check.

On her refrigerator door, Maureen Himebaugh keeps a missing person's photo that aged her son 10 years and shows a red-headed man with the same sparkle in the eyes.

It looks about right, she said.

It was a sunny, cold and windy Monday afternoon in November 1991.

In Del Haven, a fire burned marsh reeds and the wind fanned smoke across Bayshore Drive.

Police and firefighters were on the scene, diverting traffic from the road and detouring motorists through side streets. This brought more cars and more people into the area, Webster said.

Mark came home from school, grabbed a snack and, being an inquisitive young boy, went to investigate.

His mother, driving a neighbor to pick up a car at a gas station, backed out of the driveway and reminded him of plans they had that evening.

He walked across Bayshore Road. Police believe he was walking with a girl, about 10, near Cape May County Park South, Webster said.

Authorities never positively identified that girl.

Mark was seen walking toward the playground.

And that was it.

He was reported missing at 6 p.m.

In the next six days, helicopters, dogs and hundreds of searchers scoured for signs of Mark.

All they found was footprints and his hand-me-down LA Gear sneaker above the high tide line along the bay.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of leads came in, Webster said.

Calls came in from Florida, Texas, Canada, Mexico and the Grand Cayman Islands.

“Over the years, of course, the amount of sightings and leads have dropped and that's just due to time,” Webster said. “We do still get leads, but now it's more people remembering things from years back.”

The uncertainty of what happened to a missing loved one hurts in its own special way, said Lauran Halleck.

Her sister, Jean, was abducted from a parked car 26 years ago from outside a convenience store in Miami. Halleck has been looking for her sister, then 16, ever since.

“That's the toughest part, truly,” she said. “You mourn because they're gone, but you can't mourn in the traditional way because you can't get to the happy memories. You think terrible things about what might have happened to them. And then there's always the stories. Your mind can go crazy, and that's the worst part of all.

“I think most of us learn to get on with loss to the degree we can, but then there's just a hole and there's no clue,” she said.

Halleck started a Web site — Porchlight for the Missing and Unidentified — this spring to help families of victims.

“Cases like Mark's have been around for a long time,” said Vance, who is in charge of cold cases. “If something doesn't kick start it, it will be coming here.”

When cases are considered cold, they typically get solved through either technological advances in forensics or changes in relationships, Vance said.

Critical witnesses who said nothing before may come forward as they grow older and their perspectives change. People can become more forthcoming decades later.

“You want to put a name to everything you touch and unfortunately the odds are way against you,” he said.

To e-mail Brian Ianieri at The Press:

BIanieri@pressofac.com

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/st...p-6826061c.html

Life goes on, but the pain of missing someone without a clue to what happened and feeling so hopeless about doing anything to help her is the toughest thing anyone can live through. The only thing I can think of that would be more painful is being the Mom or Dad of these missing children. And there are so many! Even with all the new interest through media, it continues to be haunting and tragic. I only wish that one day we will know. You and I about our missing love ones. It's been so long. And we rejoice with those families we have recently heard about who have been reunitied. 4 days, 4 years or 40, the pain is sometimes unbearable and yet we go on and hang onto any thread of hope. God bless. Lord help us! With sincerity, Joni -- Lori's sister - missing 31 years on Feb.11.

I don't usually post here, but read here all the time. I remember reading about a cold case regarding a young teenager in Florida who was supposed to travel back to her bio parents home for a wedding, and disappeared (I believe) from a gas station/mini mart parking lot?

Anyone know who this is?

I remember reading about this case and for the life of me can not think of the girls name. I will keep trying

Thanks Gidget.. I'm lookin too, but its hard without her name! :)

Don't know if this help you any but I seem to remember that it was her step-sister that was looking for her.

yeah that's it here is the link to her page on the charley project

link

Nothing new I am afraid. I have a possible lead on the True Detective magazine though so I am hopeful to see that again. Last I heard the detectives in Pgh were awaiting DNA results for Jean. There is a detective in Blue earth MN who is interested in Jean as a match for his Jane Doe. Interestingly, he told us that there have been multiple times that Jean has been proposed for his Jane Doe, but there have been NO followups. He promises to change all that. Thanks for thinking about Jean Marie!

Thinking about you, and about Jean, and praying...

Please update anytime you can or just need to vent...

what part of Pittsburgh was her family from?

Blessings on your heart...

Hoping the DNA info is all back soon.

I have just heard from Lauran that a uid found in Florida in 1981 has been id'd as Jean. This was exactly how I knew an end would come, but I am still mournful.

I have just heard from Lauran that a uid found in Florida in 1981 has been id'd as Jean. This was exactly how I knew an end would come, but I am still mournful.
And, you should be. Looking for people whom have been identified is a lost experience. You do this but you always hope they they would be found and alive. But for the families, it brings closure. It is terrible no matter how you look at it.

Thank you all for looking for Jean Marie all these years. At least we know she is at peace and she can come home now. She was apparently found just about five miles from home, and just a year later. She is much loved and greatly missed. A long journey is now over. and I am brokenhearted.

Thank you all for looking for Jean Marie all these years. At least we know she is at peace and she can come home now. She was apparently found just about five miles from home, and just a year later. She is much loved and greatly missed. A long journey is now over. and I am brokenhearted.

Bless your heart!!

And, I'm sure, this does not give closure as everyone is so fond of saying.

Who did this and why?

She is at peace and you should try to be as well. You never gave up!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whocoulditbenow
Back