FL - Jennifer Kesse, 24, Orlando, 24 Jan 2006 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
The keys are missing as we all know.
What about her purse, the ipod and the two cell phones?
Where are they?
Doesn't the informer know anything about these items?

Have LE found any of these but that info is being kept secret?

Has anyone read what Russ did to his victim?
I find it difficult to put much credibility on what he says.
Mainly because I cannot comprehend how his mind works.

I find it difficult to put much credibility on what he says.
Mainly because I cannot comprehend how his mind works.

Yup, and the fact that if IIRC he had a hearing coming up soon after this tip was given...I think he is trying to help himself somehow. I pray I am wrong and he knows something, for Kesse family sake. They need closure. They must be going nuts right now. Praying for all involved.

THe Kesse's were on Issues with Jane Veldaz tonight 1/21/09- will post transcript when I can find it but they had quite a bit of airtime which is greatr

THe Kesse's were on Issues with Jane Veldaz tonight 1/21/09- will post transcript when I can find it but they had quite a bit of airtime which is greatr

I saw them on tonight! I even tivo'd it. They are *so* strong and I admire them so much. I just wanted to reach thru the TV screen and hug them. I couldn't imagine being in their shoes, not even for one minute! Prayers going up that Jenn is found soon.

Thanks UCFAlumni2002 for keeping us all updated. :blowkiss:

~Cakegirl

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0901/21/ijvm.01.html

This Saturday marks three years since Jennifer was last seen in her Florida condo when this beautiful and hard-working financial analyst did not show up to work on that January day. A hellish nightmare began for Kesse`s parents, which is still not ended.

Look at this beautiful young woman. This is such a horrible tragedy. Surveillance footage you just saw there shows somebody stepping out of Jennifer`s abandoned car a mile away from her Condo. But this footage is grainy, it has not led to an arrest.

There are no suspects and few clues, although this person who we cannot identify is considered a person of interest is my understanding. Jennifer`s parents have been through hell, but they refuse to give up. Just recently, Kesse`s father, Drew, walked into a local jail to meet with a confessed murderer who says he has useful information about his daughter`s case.

I`m joined now by Jennifer Kesse`s parents, Drew and Joyce Kesse.

DREW KESSE, JENNIFER KESSE`S FATHER: Good evening.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: First of all, I want to thank you for being here. Your story touches my heart. It makes me sick to my stomach. I commend you both for being so strong in the face of every parent`s worst nightmare. And I`ll make you a promise; we will stay on this story. We`re not going to give it up.

We have something called the "War on Women." We`re going to make sure that people do not forget about your daughter`s case.

D. KESSE: Thank you so much.

JOYCE KESSE, JENNIFER KESSE`S MOTHER: Thank you. And Jennifer thanks you.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Thank you. Drew, you just met with a convicted murderer.

D. KESSE: Yes.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: -- who saw your daughter`s photo on a deck of playing cards. How did that meeting come about?

D. KESSE: Actually through a letter through his defense attorney was passed on to me. Read the information that he requested and basically he - - he said that he had information concerning Jennifer`s disappearance that may end our hell and her hell. And in order if him to speak with investigators, he requested that I speak with him first to make sure that the information given was directly given to us.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And what did he say? Did he say essentially there was somebody else who is also an inmate that he was talking to in -- in jail and he got information?

D. KESSE: I believe that`s -- yes, that`s pretty much the gist of it. It`s jailhouse chatter, basically. I truly believe that the inmate, Mr. Russ truly believes what he heard. And the investigators are working through it.

We`ve been on this ride so many times, Jane, it`s -- I don`t know. We`ve had leads from jail before. This is the first time I`ve gone in, which made it very interesting, to be quite honest. But we try not to get too excited about things until something truly comes about and our investigators would tell us that. As of, you know, three or four weeks later now, they`re still working through it.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What makes me so angry is that your daughter was a hardworking, beautiful, young woman who did everything right. She wasn`t hanging with the wrong crowd or running around doing anything wrong. And still something horrible happened to her.

Just like the beautiful anchorwoman Anne Pressly who was sleeping in her bed at home by herself doing nothing wrong and yet she is attacked.

J. KESSE: Viciously.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: How do you deal with this emotionally, Joyce?

J. KESSE: It`s tough. It`s very, very, very tough, but trying to remain as positive as you can, despite the negativity of this surreal three-year state. You`ve got to believe. You`ve got to have faith that you will have the answers. And Jennifer deserves, needs -- as do all the missing -- they need to be found. Their families need to have them brought home.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Let`s talk about the evidence a little bit so maybe we can get some useful information out there. When was she last seen? I know this is very difficult. I really appreciate you delving into this horror. What do we know about her car, her purse, her cell phone?

D. KESSE: Well, we know that the cell phone is still missing; actually there`s two cell phones that are still missing. Her car was found two days afterwards, after she was reported missing. The last time that we saw Jennifer was actually her boss on January 23rd at approximately 6:00 p.m. They both walked out of their business together and went home. Jennifer on the way home as well as at home spoke with myself, Joyce, her brother Logan, her boyfriend, her best girlfriend, a couple of girlfriends, all that evening.

And she ended up speaking with her boyfriend, who lives about three hours south of Orlando at 10:00 p.m. He was the last person. They said good night. They were very tired from a four-day trip in St. Croix. And that was it.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wow.

D. KESSE: We presumed that she got up to go to work she had showered, she picked some clothes out. Her condo was in perfect condition basically. And as soon as that door closed is when the mystery begins.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wow. Well, you`ve provided a very good synopsis. Thank you. We`re not going to let this case go. I promise you that. We`re going stay on this.

DREW KESSE: Thank you.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I have to take a quick break. But please stay right there. We want to make sure all of the facts in this terrible case get out.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Beautiful 24-year-old Jennifer Kesse, missing three years to the day this Saturday. Her parents join my expert panel in just moments.

But first, "Top of the Block" tonight.

Bombshells in what some are calling Italy`s trial of the century: 21- year-old Seattle native Amanda Knox and her Italian ex-boyfriend on trial for the ritualistic murder of her British roommate, Meredith Kercher.

Kercher was found half-naked and stabbed in the neck. Prosecutors claim it happened during a drug-fueled sex game with Knox, her boyfriend, and a third man when the victim resisted their advances. They say they have mountains of evidence to prove their case.

With me now, Tim Haeck, reporter with "News Talk" 97.3 KIRO FM in Seattle; he`s been following this case since Seattle is Amanda`s home town. Tim, the trial began in Italy on Friday. What is the very latest?

TIM HAECK, NEWSTALK 97.3 KIRO-FM: Not too much to report from the start of the trial in terms of evidence. In fact, there wasn`t any evidence presented at all.

The first day of the trial was a chance for the judge to make some rulings on some things that are important to the people attending the trial, witnessing the trial. He ruled that the court will stay open, but he did close the courtroom to photography. These were a couple of issues that were important to the family of the Kercher family.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes, the family didn`t want anybody there. Didn`t want the public, the media, anybody and the judge sort of said, well look, I`ll give you something. No cameras, no audio, right?

HAECK: Right. The judge has a little more discretion on those matters than the judges do here in the U.S.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: You know what`s really bizarre about this case, is the Italian court system. The trial began on Friday, but they don`t meet day after day. The next time they meet is February 6th. So with 150 witnesses, how many years is this trial going to go on?

HAECK: Right. Months at least because as you say, they may only meet three, four, or five days out of a month. So they`ll get the trial started. They`ll present some evidence. And then they`ll take a pause and come back.

There are some similarities, though, between the judicial system in the United States and over there --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, let me jump in here, because I`m looking at the video of this court scene. It`s so fascinating, this has obsessed --

Europe and apparently now prosecutors are saying that this young woman who has become really the focus of so much of Europe because of her sort of good-girl looks and her bad-girl behavior has split personality disorder. That`s what the prosecutors are alleging?

HAECK: The prosecutors have theories, and that`s what the defense is sort of basing its case on. Is that if the prosecution has theories and ideas about what happened in this case, but not a lot of evidence to back them up.

Now, there is evidence. You`ve probably talked about that. You have a knife the prosecutors believe is the murder weapon that has Amanda Knox`s they say -- Amanda Knox`s DNA, they say on the handle. They also have a lot of blood evidence at the crime scene.

And potentially they have the testimony of Rudi Guede, a man from the Ivory Coast who has already been convicted in this case.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Let me ask you -- yes, he`s already sentenced. Let me ask you very quickly, almost out of time, what exactly do prosecutors say is the sex game they were playing at this time?

HAECK: Well, they`re not specifying exactly what happened. But what they do say is that Meredith Kercher tried to resist, that Amanda and her boyfriend were trying to pursue some kind of a ritual or a sex game and when she resisted, they got violent.

And that`s part of the problem for the prosecution because this is such an evil and violent crime. And there really isn`t any evidence that Amanda Knox has that kind of personality.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, we`ll see. They call her "Foxy Knoxy." And she is the obsession of Europe. Thank you so much, Tim. We will keep our eyes on that one.

Now I want to turn back to the case of missing Florida woman, Jennifer Kesse. I will be talking your calls. Dial 1-877-JVM-SAYS. That`s 1-877- 586-7297 to ask your questions about this horrific case.

I`m joined once more by Jennifer`s parents, Joyce and Drew Kesse and I also want to bring in criminal defense attorney Jayne Weintraub.

Jayne, I was reading your article several months ago that suggested an up-tick in murders in the Orlando area is making it difficult to devote time and resources to older cases like Jennifer`s. How big of a problem is lack of resources for cold cases?

JAYNE WEINTRAUB, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: It`s not -- it`s widespread. It`s not just in Orlando, and it is a problem. They become the bottom of the barrel for the budgets of the county and the state.

The real issue here -- I mean, as a parent, my heart goes out to these people. I mean, how could it not? And, of course, as a parent you want to see closure.

But there are other resources also, not just these get out of jail free inmates that want to get their sentences reduced.

You know, John Walsh, the "America`s Most Wanted" or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children have incredible resources where victims can go or police, law enforcement officers can contact them with any kind of a good lead.

The problem is having the money for the leads.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wow. What a beautiful young woman this child is; this child of these two parents who are now suffering so much.

Grace in Virginia, your question or thought, ma`am.

GRACE IN VIRGINIA: Yes. I was wondering if they have thoroughly investigated the construction workers that were working at Jennifer`s new condo. The guy walking by that black picket fence looks like he has on khakis and black work shoes and it looks like he may be connected as like a transient-type worker.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, let`s go back to the parents. Because it`s interesting because this call is coming from Virginia, so I don`t know necessarily that there was construction, but perhaps there was, Drew.

DREW KESSE: Yes, there was. It was a condo conversion, apartment over to a condo that Jennifer had just purchased. And she was only one of three in the entire condo building at the time.

Grace, yes, you`re right.

She was -- Jennifer was very, uneasy with the workers around her. No one ever approached her, but she always got the eye, she made comments to us about it. It was a concern and we told her how to address it, if it ever became anything other than that.

But the problem that we have is we have found out that there were illegals working on property and it`s extremely difficult to try to track down any illegal, exactly who that person truly is.

And I would like to say, honestly, this is not a cold case. It never has been. We get leads every single day. There`s a team of approximately a dozen people that work on her full time, and we have great hope of having her.

JOYCE KESSE: Having Jennifer found.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, I`m so happy to hear that. That is excellent news.

Drew, Joyce, Jayne, stay right there. We`re going to talk more about the search for Jennifer Kesse in just a bit.

But first, take a look at the stills from the 2006 surveillance video. These are the only clues pointing to a suspect in Jennifer`s disappearance.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: We`re back discussing the case of Jennifer Kesse, the 24-year-old financial analyst who went missing nearly three years ago.

Phone lines lighting up on this very sad case. Paulina in Texas, question or thought, ma`am?

PAULINA IN TEXAS: Yes ma`am, on the two cell phones that are missing or her house phone, do they show any phone calls coming in after she spoke with her boyfriend? Maybe somebody called her early in the morning?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Excellent question. Drew?

DREW KESSE: No. No there was not. And in fact, we have come to know that the cell phones were actually powered off. So --.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: That`s the answer there.

I want to talk about this man who is in jail, David Russ, who has admitted to killing a woman during a cocaine binge and he is awaiting sentencing.

What did -- was the information useful? Authorities apparently have said they have checked this out before, the information that he relayed and it really didn`t take them anywhere. Do you agree with that assessment?

DREW KESSE: I`ll give it a 90 percent. Having knowledge of what -- let me first say that I think Mr. Russ truly and honestly believed every single thing that he heard. And I truly believe that in his heart he was passing on information that would end Jennifer`s case. I honestly believe that.

Unfortunately, you know, things get said in jail all the time. And to our knowledge, it`s popping up, I guess through the investigation, we`re getting little bits and pieces of it, that this same information has come out before from the same individual. So --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Jayne Weintraub, it seems that this case is not getting anywhere. What should this family and authorities do, do you think, to break it wide open?

JAYNE WEINTRAUB: Well, I think as in any case that`s more than a couple of months old, the best thing to do is get a fresh set of eyes in the homicide department, start over, look back, go back, canvass the area.

I mean, these homicide detectives are experienced, the family knows that. And as I said, if there`s any viable lead to follow up, they`re going to follow up on it.

The problem -- my heart goes out to Drew and to the mom and -- but the problem with these cases is these inmates are con-artists looking to get out of jail free.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, in this case --

WEINTRAUB: This guys are coming up -- I think he`s coming up and he has the benefit --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes, you know we have to leave it there. In this case that it might be an exception because he apparently is not trying to get out of jail; quite the contrary. Jayne thanks, Drew and Joyce.

We`re going to stay on your story here on "ISSUES" on HLN.

A question for a cell phone tech .... do we have any?

How can you tell the difference between a cell phone being powered off or simply shorting out after being tossed in water?

?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481184,00.html

" A potential break in the case of a Florida woman who has been missing for three years and whose photo later turned up on dating sites may have come from a convicted killer.
David Russ, who confessed to a 2007 murder, claims to have information about the disappearance of 24-year-old Jennifer Kesse and had his lawyer contact her father, MyFOXOrlando.com reported.
Russ is in the Seminole County Jail awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to killing Madeline Leinen. He asked to meet with Kesse's father, Drew Kesse."

MeowW333,

from your link.....

"Detectives say they're investigating Russ' claims. They don't believe he has information that could break the case."

(bold by me)

~

A question for a cell phone tech .... do we have any?

How can you tell the difference between a cell phone being powered off or simply shorting out after being tossed in water?

?

Not a cell phone tech, but I asked one and no, powerless is powerless to a "ping". This can change somewhat with some new GPS "beacon" phones, but that predates this case unfortunately.

JAYNE WEINTRAUB: Well, I think as in any case that`s more than a couple of months old, the best thing to do is get a fresh set of eyes in the homicide department, start over, look back, go back, canvass the area.

IMO, the single most important thing said in that interview. Fresh eyes, fresh leads.

Not a cell phone tech, but I asked one and no, powerless is powerless to a "ping". This can change somewhat with some new GPS "beacon" phones, but that predates this case unfortunately.

Thank you for your answer.
So, if I was abducted and someone threw my purse with my phone inside into water my phone would immediately short out and render it powerless? As in, powered off, correct?

thanks again~

Tomorrow, Saturday, January 24, 2009 from 11am-3pm is the Jennifer Kesse "Beacon of Hope for the Missing" Safety & Community Event at the Mall at Millenia in Orlando, FL in the Community Rooms. It is also the 3rd year of this tragic nightmare. As we pray for answers, the Kesse's are hoping that this event will also result in a safer community for all.

As one of Jenn's friends posted on Facebook, "As much as we love her and pray for her return, this event isn't just about Jen. It's about a safer community for you and the people who mean the most to you.

I don't expect everyone to show up, nor do I expect everyone to stay the whole time. All we ask is that if you have some time tomorrow, instead of nursing hangovers or laying on your couch, maybe just stop by and show some support. It's times like this that friendship and family matter most, and I know that I and a lot of Jen's other friends sure would love to see some familiar faces and supportive smiles."

So, if you are in the area, please come show your support to Jennifer's family, friends, and concerned citizens.

I'm lighting a candle for Jen and the Kesse's tonight.

Let this be the LAST anniversary of this tragedy they spend without answers

Praying for Jenn, the Kesse's and everyone here that is trying to find answers for them.

Jennifer and the Kesse family are in my thoughts and prayers today as it marks the third anniversary of her disappearance. I am hoping 2009 brings resolution to the case.

I am lighting a candle and sending up my prayers for Jennifer, her family and her friends. She needs to come home to those who love her.

IMO, the single most important thing said in that interview. Fresh eyes, fresh leads.
I agree. Start OVER.

For Jennifer ~ on the 3rd anniversary of her disappearance. :rose::rose::rose:

And still praying for answers. :prayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads