FL FL - Joyce Malinka, 22, Jacksonville, 25 Oct 1976

The threads posted here are mixing up two different cases. I happened to know both of these girls. Jeannie Yates was my neighbor and one year ahead of me in high school. She graduated from TP in 1970 and went to college in the fall. At the end of her 2nd year of college she was planning on getting married. She ordered a terrarium from Furchgott's Department store at Regency Square. All Regency had left was the display and she wanted one in a box. The downtown store had one and transferred it to Regency for her to pick up. I know this because I was working part time at the downtown store in that department and helped with transfer and commented I knew here. When she picked the item up at Regency she was murdered and her body dumped in the dunes at the end of Lone Star Road. It was rumored the killer was hiding under her car when she returned to parking lot but whether he was or not he still kidnapped and murdered her. I believe his car was found at an apartment complex off of Mayport Road but don't remember if he was ever caught.

Joyce Malinka was a year younger than me and she was my best friend's at the time next door neighbor.She graduated from TP in 1972. She too was kidnapped or carjacked at Regency Square. This was October 1976. She was 22.Her body was found off of Touchton Road and Southside Boulevard near a retention pond. Man and wife involved and article in Ocala Star Banner someone posted is accurate.
Funny thing years later in 1988 I dated and eventually married a guy who had been dating her off and on. She was supposed to meet him and some others for drinks that night but never showed up. He and his friends were questioned at length of course.
Hope this clears up the mixing of the Malinka and Yates case.

Thank you surfranamy for this information
You're right, we had confused these 2 cases.
I tried to google Jeannie Yates without any success, even the SSA Master Death Index on Ancestry.
Are there any details about her case as far as dates are concerned?
Obviously still an unsolved homicide.
Even though I haven't been to this site for years now; I am still wondering about the case of the 8 year old girl from Merrill Road Elementary who was kidnapped and murdered on her way to school one morning around that same time. She had taken a shortcut through the woods apparently.
Thanks for any help you or anyone else can provide.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgreen63
Back