Found Deceased FL - Kristina French, 53, Neptune Beach, 21 Nov 2017 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many twist in this case regarding previously posted information and the details in the arrest warrants. It's very odd Mr Mott who's Mother wasn't airport to pick him up as previoulsy agree, can't reach her by phone, finds an alternate way home, found his home "unsecure and in disarray" and LEAVES to go to his Mother's house (in which is mortgaged in his name) to return to his home and 'discovers' his safe had been damaged, three guns were missing and pain medicine had been taken and his Mother, her car and his Son are missing then places a call to 911. KF is missing from work for three days, LM is missing from school 2 day and it appears no one has raised any concerns.

http://oncore.duvalclerk.com/search/SearchTypeName

I feel like we haven't scratched the surface of this family's story. Not debating L's involvement --- and certainly not saying that anything should have warranted the murder of a beautiful grandmother. What I mean is, as Logan's story starts coming out, I think there's a chance we won't be saying, "How could L do something like this," but instead find ourselves saying, "How did this kid not explode sooner?" Something is not kosher, and that's all I'll say about that. IMO, as always.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Interesting....more to the story. I found the following:

"The statute also punishes as second degree murder the killing of another human being during the commission of a felony that is imminently dangerous to human life. Also, if the defendant was involved in the commission of a predicate felony, but the homicide was perpetrated by another co-felon, the defendant can be charged with second degree murder.["
"If a person commits a predicate felony, but was not the direct contributor to the death of the victim then the person will be charged with murder in the second degree - felony murder which is a felony of the first degree. The maximum prison term is life.*[8][7]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule_(Florida)

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Well as no co-felon was charged, that clause is ruled out. Or if we are to presume the state believes the grandmother was allegedly murdered by LM during the course of him stealing the car, that scenario seems highly unlikely to me, as well as impossible to prove.

I think why he was charged with 2nd degree murder is because it's not required to prove intent to cause death. Perhaps the State is also open to a manslaughter plea deal. My heart goes out to the entire family - both sides.

The Florida statute on 2nd degree murder:

7.4 MURDER — SECOND DEGREE
§ 782.04(2), Fla. Stat.

To prove the crime of Second Degree Murder, the State must prove the following three elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

1. (Victim) is dead.

2. The death was caused by the criminal act of (defendant).

3. There was an unlawful killing of (victim) by an act imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind without regard for human life.

Definitions.
An “act” includes a series of related actions arising from and performed pursuant to a single design or purpose.

An act is “imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind” if it is an act or series of acts that:

1. a person of ordinary judgment would know is reasonably certain to kill or do serious bodily injury to another, and
2. is done from ill will, hatred, spite, or an evil intent, and

3. is of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life.

In order to convict of Second Degree Murder, it is not necessary for the State to prove the defendant had an intent to cause death.....

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/jury_instructions/chapters/chapter7/p2c7s7.4.rtf

Well as no co-felon was charged, that clause is ruled out.

So far... That's all I'm going to say about that right now.

I, for one, think we are going to see some BOMBSHELLS in this case. I agree all day long that nothing excuses this murder unless it was self-defense, but I have a gut feeling that we are going to find out this is not all as it seems.
My Opinion Only.

UPDATE, 12/5/17, 7:30 p.m.:*State Attorney Melissa Nelson released the following statement after Logan Mott arrived back in Duval County:

“Almost two weeks after an initial missing persons case shifted to a murder investigation, Logan Mott is back in Duval County. Mott has been charged as an adult with second-degree murder and grand theft auto.*
"I’d like to thank the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Erie County District Attorney’s Office, Erie County Youth Services, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, Neptune Beach Police Department, Buffalo Police Department, and other law enforcement agencies along the East Coast that have assisted in bringing Mott back to Jacksonville.*
"We understand this is a case of great interest, but because it is pending we will not be providing further comment.”

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...headed-back-to-florida-from-buffalo/659044892

I wonder why 2nd degree murder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
In Florida you cannot charge someone for first degree murder. What has to happen is the District Attorney has to present the case to a Grand Jury and the Grand Jury can determine if the facts of the case support a charge of first degree murder.

We just saw this process with the Taylor Wright case out of Pensacola.

Thank you for your post. I truly hope this doesn't turn into a gun debate in general, because honestly all posters will never be in total agreement.
Me, my entire family, my area in general, grew up around guns. We have 'hunter safety' courses here for kids. Hunting is a huge thing around here to the extent that our schools have the first day of deer season off as a holiday, lol.

Same with knives. I had to gasp when I heard about the box of knives. My son at that age had several knives of his own, which he still has as an adult. However...he has never shown any signs of mental illness, problems with other people, troubles at school, etc. We don't know if LM did or not. I'm hoping we find out much more as to what was typical of him in regards to behavior.

Did this kid just finally snap from being a pawn between his parents for almost the entirety of his life?
Since he firmly denies killing KM, I'd like to hear his story about what happened that day/those days as I find that truly hard to believe.
It's the "Why" that is bugging me.

It is indeed about the "why" but I doubt we'll never know. Imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He will probably be tried as an adult and treated like one. He seemed to make 'grown up' decisions, to steal a wallet, a car, some weapons, and bury a body in the yard. Too late to be treated like a child once you begin making adult decisions.

Absolutely

UPDATE, 12/5/17, 7:30 p.m.:*State Attorney Melissa Nelson released the following statement after Logan Mott arrived back in Duval County:

“Almost two weeks after an initial missing persons case shifted to a murder investigation, Logan Mott is back in Duval County. Mott has been charged as an adult with second-degree murder and grand theft auto.*
"I’d like to thank the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Erie County District Attorney’s Office, Erie County Youth Services, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, Neptune Beach Police Department, Buffalo Police Department, and other law enforcement agencies along the East Coast that have assisted in bringing Mott back to Jacksonville.*
"We understand this is a case of great interest, but because it is pending we will not be providing further comment.”

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...headed-back-to-florida-from-buffalo/659044892

I wonder why 2nd degree murder.

Second degree?

Agree that there could be a lot more to this case.
We don't know what we don't know...

In Florida you cannot charge someone for first degree murder. What has to happen is the District Attorney has to present the case to a Grand Jury and the Grand Jury can determine if the facts of the case support a charge of first degree murder.

We just saw this process with the Taylor Wright case out of Pensacola.

Yes you're absolutely right.

"The grand jury serves a very special function in Florida’s criminal courts. The only charge a State Attorney cannot file based on his or her constitutional authority is first degree murder. All first degree murder cases must be presented to a grand jury..."
http://www.sa15.state.fl.us/stateattorney/ouroffice/Divisions/indexHGJ.htm

Many twist in this case regarding previously posted information and the details in the arrest warrants. It's very odd Mr Mott who's Mother wasn't airport to pick him up as previoulsy agree, can't reach her by phone, finds an alternate way home, found his home "unsecure and in disarray" and LEAVES to go to his Mother's house (in which is mortgaged in his name) to return to his home and 'discovers' his safe had been damaged, three guns were missing and pain medicine had been taken and his Mother, her car and his Son are missing then places a call to 911. KF is missing from work for three days, LM is missing from school 2 day and it appears no one has raised any concerns.

LM’s dad (sorry can’t remember his name) is the mortgage holder on KM’s home? She wasn’t elderly and she had a good career. I do wonder more and more if there were some entanglement issues in the family that caused Logan to resent KM on top of the problems between his parents.

Also, if LM’s dad had a mortgage on his own home also, I’m surprised he could afford it. Just knowing our public servants aren’t exactly paid a lot.

Are you reading the Affidavit for Arrest Warrant?

In the document on 11 - 24 - 17 the suspect was detained in Buffalo and was in possession of the vehicle and firearms (both of which were discovered missing, along with the pain medication, after Eric arrived home).
This one. Perhaps it was before they located Logan and the car.
ab7338d913dc53a68e5dd51121366c89.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#LoganMott’s public defender just spoke with @ActionNewsJax. Says Mott’s father- who works in the jail- will be reassigned as the case plays out. Hear from him on CBS47 at noon. https://t.co/TfI3Wvqpb7

NEW: #JSO says #LoganMott “is housed ALONE in an isolation cell for his safety.” Said his orange jumpsuit could have been given to him due to the high-profile nature of case. @ActionNewsJax https://t.co/p8ZQtM894i

#LoganMott’s public defender just spoke with @ActionNewsJax. Says Mott’s father- who works in the jail- will be reassigned as the case plays out. Hear from him on CBS47 at noon. https://t.co/TfI3Wvqpb7

A public defender? An attorney was hired by LM Mom in NY who expressed he’d continue to represent. More wrangling by the contentious stranded parental relationship? If tried as an adult, can LM select his own representation? Twists continue, IMO.

I don't find it odd that the father immediately went to his mother's home, which is very close by, to check on his mom and his son. I am sure he was very worried that he couldn't reach them. I'd be shocked if he didn't go over there.

Why is the word 'discovered' in quotes? Is that some kind of suspicion that the father was involved in the crime?

A public defender? An attorney was hired by LM Mom in NY who expressed he’d continue to represent. More wrangling by the contentious stranded parental relationship? If tried as an adult, can LM select his own representation? Twists continue, IMO.
This was an arraignment and the only process is to read the charges and enter a plea. If I am not mistaken as a minor the not guilty plea is automatic. There will be a substitution of counsel coming. The court will appoint a law firm with experience defending murder defendants unless the family hires one. The next court date is going to be similar to this one, quick and just procedural, if I recall the Florida process and then after that a preliminary hearing will be set for some time next year.

Oh and one thing. The attorney in Buffalo that was hired would only be involved if he either is licensed to practice in Florida or the court in Duval County goes through a process that indicates that the lawyer understands Florida law and its court procedure sufficiently to properly defend the accused. They are not going to open the door on an inadequate/ineffective counsel appeal straight out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quioxte221