FL - Major and Claudette Melvin, both in their 80s, murdered, Fort Lauderdale, March 22, 2024

Warwick1991

Reaction score
On March 22nd, Major and Claudette Melvin, both in their 80s, were shot and killed in their Fort Lauderdale apartment. Their car, a 2014 Ford Focus, was stolen. Money and valuables were apparently left behind.

My immediate thought is that someone wants an inheritance and thinks stealing the car is enough to make it look like a "robbery gone wrong" or something. Think they'll ditch the car somewhere, switch license plates, whatever. Or at least it has to be someone known to the family. MOO. No, I am not trying to implicate the sisters mentioned in the article.

I say this because a complete stranger that did not want to leave witnesses probably would not stop to check and see if the third person in the house was special needs. While we don't know what type of "special needs" he has, he apparently does not have the capacity to relay details (based on the article). They left him alive because they knew he couldn't or wouldn't say anything. Unless the uncle was hidden somewhere. MOO.

Of course this could be a genuine robbery gone wrong or the work of some...not mentally stable individual.
I'm gutted. 89 and 85, married 60 years with 11 children. The special needs son was in the house during the murders but couldn't provide any details.
He isn't a son, he is Claudette's brother (so the kids' uncle).

It sounds like one or two people were trying to make a getaway (from LE? rival gang?), and needed a getaway car and no witnesses.

A red Ford fusion is not a particularly discrete car for a getaway and has probably been ditched in the everglades or a river.

It sounds like one or two people were trying to make a getaway (from LE? rival gang?), and needed a getaway car and no witnesses.

A red Ford fusion is not a particularly discrete car for a getaway and has probably been ditched in the everglades or a river.
It's possible, but a 10 year old Fusion is IMO, a somewhat anonymous car, unless it's an extremely bright red. In this climate, though, reds often fade after a decade, unless the car is kept in a garage.

Reactions: nao
I can't think of any motive that makes sense. If there are 11 children, nobody is going to get much of an inheritance. The neighborhood mentioned, Melrose Park, has a lot of modest single family homes. Mistaken identity? Random violence?

I have been in this area, but I live in the next county, going north.

IDK, desperados in that situation would have no idea what they were walking into - could have been a football team gathered in that LR. IMO, that's why they normally carjack from a solo driver.

Also, they'd have to find the car keys, if they couldn't hot wire it.

Normally, any competent car thief would have just run away when they woke Major up. Police wouldn't bother to investigate, if nothing was stolen.

One reason to use the victim's car, is that the shooter's own car can't then be identified. Maybe shooter snuck up in the night, by foot.

Motive could be a grudge of some sort, unfortunately.

JMO

Some clarification from my original post: From reading the linked 7 news article carefully, the Melvins did not live in an apartment, as I stated earlier, but owned their home for many years and brought up their family there. Many of the homes in Melrose Park are ranch houses built in the 1950s. It is a relatively quiet neighborhood.

I'm still trying to think of a motive, but at this point, there's not much out there to consider.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57
Back