GUILTY FL - Officer Joshua Moyers fatally shot, traffic stop, Callahan/Nassau County, 24 Sept 2021 *arrest*

Some background on Nassau County FL for those unfamiliar with the area.

While Nassau County is part of the Jacksonville Metropolitan Statistical area (the MSA had an estimated 1.5 million residents in 2018), the county population is under 90,000 people in its 726 square miles (Nassau County, Florida - Wikipedia). This western part of the county (west of Interstate 95), is *far* less dense. Both the area where Deputy Moyers was shot and killed (south of Callahan town limits) and where he lived (Kings Ferry area at the northernmost border between Florida and Georgia on the St Mary's River - very hard to find on a map unless you know the area) are small, unincorporated communities, typically surrounded by tree farms and rural farms.

Now my personal information/opinion: This area is a small, close-knit community, and this tragedy is heartbreaking for all of us. If you didn't know Moyers personally, then you most certainly know people who know him personally. It's that small. I'd not met him personally but I'd seen him around town over the last few years. When I was at the feed store on Saturday, so many people there were sharing their stories about the deputy - and praying that his killer is apprehended soon.

The father of the man accused of shooting a deputy in Nassau County has issued a statement to the public, saying that he would like to “express my deepest regrets to the family and friends of Deputy Joshua Moyers.”
‘My deepest regrets’: Father of man accused of shooting Nassau County deputy issues statement

Here is the statement in its entirety. Clearly heartfelt, imo:

I would like to express my deepest regrets to the family and friends of Deputy Moyers. I know that’s small consolation given what a good and decent man he was. If I could change what happened, or trade places with him I would.

I want to explain a few things about Patrick but please don’t think I’m making excuses for him or trying to rationalize his actions. After Patrick returned from Iraq he enrolled and sought help from the VA for depression, headaches, and nightmares. He was diagnosed with PTSD and depression and some physical infirmities. At first, he was motivated to deal with his demons and started a family. As time progressed, he slipped into a darker place. He had trouble with seizures, pain management, and sleep patterns. He turned to drugs and quit going to his VA appointments. He started stealing to support his habit and was arrested. He was accepted into Veterans Treatment Court and was doing very well. Judge Floyd and David were very engaged with him as were the Lovings at 5 Star.

When the Covid lockdowns began, the court had to go to virtual sessions which meant less supervision for the mentees. Apparently, this happened at a critical time in his treatment, and he immediately slipped back into his old habits and was arrested in Ga. He was in the Ga jail for a year (and still hasn’t had a trial because of Covid). After a year he came back to Jacksonville and was again generously accepted by the Lovings at 5 Star. You could see the spark had gone out of him and despite our many efforts he slipped over the edge and did this horrible thing.

I had resigned myself to the fact that he might overdose or take his own life. I never dreamed he would take someone else’s life. There are no excuses for what he did, and he will get what he deserves, one way or another. I’m not going to be a hypocrite and plead for his life; he was well aware of the consequences. If someone had done that to him, I would be enraged, so I understand the hate and vitriol directed at him. Just know that he wasn’t always like this. He is my son and I love him. My heart breaks for Deputy Moyers’ family. I hope, at some point, they can find some peace.

Respectfully,

Richard McDowell​

Patrick McDowell is in custody!

They apprehended him by the Callahan Intermediate School around 12:30 PM.
Man accused of killing Nassau County deputy arrested near Callahan after 5-day search

"According to News4Jax sources, after a chase McDowell was cornered in a concession stand at Kirsten Higginbotham Sports Complex. Eventually, he surrendered after a K-9 was sent into the building. McDowell was treated for a dog bite wound, sources said, and was taken to a local hospital."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooray!!!!!!

I am embarrassed to say that I surreptitiously got a photo of a look-a-like last evening wearing a black shirt and camo shorts and alerted LE. Poor guy, was checked out and not the perp. But unless he doesn't watch the news, why would someone of same build/stature/appearance be wearing identical clothing that a wanted man was wearing?

Man accused of killing Nassau County deputy arrested near Callahan after 5-day search

This article has a good photo of the apprehension and before the transport to a local hospital.
Patrick McDowell, man wanted in killing of Nassau deputy, captured after 5-day manhunt
From your article: (I sure hope they prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone who assisted PM.

"Last week McDowell was seriously injured after being shot by deputies who returned fire after the suspect shot a JSO K9. He was hit twice; once in the thigh, another bullet grazed the top of his head.

RELATED: What we know about suspect behind shooting of Nassau deputy, JSO K9

In a live news conference Tuesday afternoon, Sheriff Leeper said McDowell had contacted multiple people for help since the massive search began. One person is in custody for helping him evade arrest during the manhunt, according to NCSO. “He knew if he went to the hospital we would find him,” Leeper said.

More people may be arrested for aiding McDowell. Leeper does not believe any members of the suspect’s family were among those who helped him hide."

Some background on Nassau County FL for those unfamiliar with the area.

While Nassau County is part of the Jacksonville Metropolitan Statistical area (the MSA had an estimated 1.5 million residents in 2018), the county population is under 90,000 people in its 726 square miles (Nassau County, Florida - Wikipedia). This western part of the county (west of Interstate 95), is *far* less dense. Both the area where Deputy Moyers was shot and killed (south of Callahan town limits) and where he lived (Kings Ferry area at the northernmost border between Florida and Georgia on the St Mary's River - very hard to find on a map unless you know the area) are small, unincorporated communities, typically surrounded by tree farms and rural farms.

Now my personal information/opinion: This area is a small, close-knit community, and this tragedy is heartbreaking for all of us. If you didn't know Moyers personally, then you most certainly know people who know him personally. It's that small. I'd not met him personally but I'd seen him around town over the last few years. When I was at the feed store on Saturday, so many people there were sharing their stories about the deputy - and praying that his killer is apprehended soon.
I'm so sorry, JaxFlaGal. Such a loss.

The father of the man accused of shooting a deputy in Nassau County has issued a statement to the public, saying that he would like to “express my deepest regrets to the family and friends of Deputy Joshua Moyers.”
‘My deepest regrets’: Father of man accused of shooting Nassau County deputy issues statement

Here is the statement in its entirety. Clearly heartfelt, imo:

I would like to express my deepest regrets to the family and friends of Deputy Moyers. I know that’s small consolation given what a good and decent man he was. If I could change what happened, or trade places with him I would.

I want to explain a few things about Patrick but please don’t think I’m making excuses for him or trying to rationalize his actions. After Patrick returned from Iraq he enrolled and sought help from the VA for depression, headaches, and nightmares. He was diagnosed with PTSD and depression and some physical infirmities. At first, he was motivated to deal with his demons and started a family. As time progressed, he slipped into a darker place. He had trouble with seizures, pain management, and sleep patterns. He turned to drugs and quit going to his VA appointments. He started stealing to support his habit and was arrested. He was accepted into Veterans Treatment Court and was doing very well. Judge Floyd and David were very engaged with him as were the Lovings at 5 Star.

When the Covid lockdowns began, the court had to go to virtual sessions which meant less supervision for the mentees. Apparently, this happened at a critical time in his treatment, and he immediately slipped back into his old habits and was arrested in Ga. He was in the Ga jail for a year (and still hasn’t had a trial because of Covid). After a year he came back to Jacksonville and was again generously accepted by the Lovings at 5 Star. You could see the spark had gone out of him and despite our many efforts he slipped over the edge and did this horrible thing.

I had resigned myself to the fact that he might overdose or take his own life. I never dreamed he would take someone else’s life. There are no excuses for what he did, and he will get what he deserves, one way or another. I’m not going to be a hypocrite and plead for his life; he was well aware of the consequences. If someone had done that to him, I would be enraged, so I understand the hate and vitriol directed at him. Just know that he wasn’t always like this. He is my son and I love him. My heart breaks for Deputy Moyers’ family. I hope, at some point, they can find some peace.

Respectfully,

Richard McDowell​
Thanks for posting this. I really feel that his father is a decent and loving man and also part of the collateral damage from this tragedy.

Although he's in the hospital, Patrick Renee McDowell is now officially booked as an inmate with Nassau County. Charges filed are MURDER 1ST DEG (for killing the deputy) and AGG BATTERY POLICE DOG (a second-degree felony now in Florida). MCDOWELL, PATRICK RENE

Most of my updates have been about the Deputy, and now with the suspect in custody, I'll expand on the police dog.

K-9 officer Chaos was shot in an encounter with the suspect during the manhunt in the woods Friday night and is recovering (JSO K-9 recovering after being shot during Nassau County manhunt). He's a beautiful Belgian Malinois, and I personally know that he's a brother to the K-9 that assisted in apprehending the suspect (they are both with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office).

In 2019, Florida law was changed to raise the crime of harming or killing police, fire, and search and rescue dogs and horses from a third-degree felony to second-degree felony, which triples prison time from five years to 15 years and raises the fine from $5,000 to $10,000. (DeSantis signs law increasing charges for harming police dogs, horses)

Another recent law that helped Chaos through his injury is that in July 2021, Florida law changed to allow paramedics/EMTs to treat and transport police dogs (Police K9 bill lands on Gov. DeSantis’ desk). Prior to that time, they were not allowed to (and typically the dog's handler would have to rush them to an emergency vet themselves). The closest emergency vet open when Chaos was shot is about 40 miles away. The ability to have professionals treat and transport Chaos to the vet may have made a positive difference in his outcome.

Inside scoop from my personal knowledge of the apprehending K-9 Huk (who's quickly become famous here locally) - here's a picture of both Chaos and Huk in transport to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office after they were selected for JSO's K-9 program (I'm not sure which is which in this photo):
upload_2021-9-28_22-20-29.png

In the earlier articles that I posted about the suspect's apprehension, the Sheriff commented that he had help from at least 1 person. Late today they booked a woman with an accessory after-the-fact felony charge: TOLE, BREIANA ELIZABETH
TOLE, BREIANA ELIZABETH

She has multiple Facebook profiles, but this one Log In or Sign Up to View - has McDowell as a friend.

A bit more info on the arrest of the killer's accessory:
Tole arrested for aiding McDowell | Nassau County Record, Callahan, Florida
"According to her arrest report, "After the murder was committed, Breiana Tole attempted to aid Patrick Mc Dowell by removing him from the area. At that time, Breiana Tole knew that Patrick Mc Dowell had committed the murder, and came to his location with the intent that Patrick McDowell avoid or escape detection, arrest, trial, or punishment."

She is being held on $1 million bond (TOLE, BREIANA ELIZABETH) . McDowell is denied bond (MCDOWELL, PATRICK RENE)

Moments before deputy was shot, woman heard suspect say: ‘It’s either me or him’

"Patrick McDowell said, “I’m not stopping; I’m not going to jail,” as Nassau County Deputy Josh Moyers tried to pull him over south of Callahan one week ago, according to a woman with him in the stolen van. When the woman urged him to stop, she said he told her: “It’s either me or him.”​

The latest information comes from the arrest affidavit of McDonald, charging him first-degree murder in Moyers’ death.​

When the van finally stopped on Sandy Ford Road, off U.S. 301, and Moyers approached the van asking for a driver’s ID, she said McDowell reached behind his seat and pulled a gun. Sheriff Bill Leeper said the gunman shot the Moyers in the face, then again in the back as the deputy fell to the ground.

Moyers died two days later.

McDowell sped away, then abandoned the van and the woman said he and the woman hid under a trailer until he let her go. Once she got far enough away, she called 911."​

Deputy Moyers funeral was today (Sat. 10/2) Nassau County deputy killed in line of duty laid to rest

The county and the Sheriff's Office is working through a lot of grief right now. This deputy lived in western Nassau County since birth. He served the community that he grew up in. https://www.oxleyheard.com/team/deputy-joshua-joseph-moyers

Moyers supervisors remember him as:

“Funny, loving, happy,” Blackwell said. “He was always smiling, so just an all around good guy. Someone you would want to be around.”

“A man that grew up in this community and told me everyday that he wanted to make his hometown safer,” Zittrower said. “His level of service to the community was out of this world.”

Supervisors remember Deputy Moyers as man who wanted to make his hometown safer

McDowell is being held in the Nassau County jail without bond, according to online jail records.

Nassau County court records show his next court date is Aug. 15.

Breiana Tole, 28, will remain in the Nassau County jail, where she’s being held on $1 million bond. A status hearing is set for Oct. 20.

Tole could be called as a witness in the trial of Patrick McDowell, who’s accused of killing Nassau County Deputy Joshua Moyers, so both prosecutors and the defense would like to set her sentencing following that

A Jacksonville woman has pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact in the murder of Nassau County Sheriff Deputy Josh Moyers. She will be sentenced pending a hearing after the first of the year.

Tole was going to go to trial, but entered a plea of guilty at the beginning of August of this year. She is currently being held at the Nassau County jail on a $1 million bail. The state attorney’s office had already begun to submit the names of witnesses to testify in the trial.

McDowell is also in custody and awaits trial.

Did anyone else watch the penalty phase of PM?
I thought it was intense.
I’ve never seen a more believable killer.
He rec’d death only one person said life. I wonder if his statement (chilling) right before closing changed some jurors minds.

Verdict. -death

PMsletter to jury and victims before closing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back