FL FL - Pamela Ray, 36, Panama City, Aug 1992

Old article about the Walton County search.Thursday, March 23, 2000

'Ghost chasers'
drawn to police dig site
(Photo: Mindell Thompson traveled from Opp, Ala., on Wednesday to see the possible site of the body of her missing friend. News Herald Photo: Dana Miserez.)

TONY SIMMONS
The News Herald
DeFUNIAK SPRINGS - A police dig in a wooded area off Coy Ellis Road brought out the curious and the desperate Wednesday.

The curious drove past the spot where police had excavated potential evidence in the Pamela June Ray investigation and craned their necks to see a mound of red clay and sand through the light brush.

The desperate drove 50 miles from Opp, Ala., to walk the search area and peer into a hole in the ground and speculate whether this investigation was connected, somehow, to the disappearance of 17-year-old Kemberly Ramer from her father's home in Opp in August 1997.

According to Opp police investigator Mark Keiser, the women who drove from Opp were "chasing ghosts." No connections exist, he said.

"It would have been great if (Florida police) had called and said, 'We have y'all's victim,'" Keiser said. "I hate it, but this investigation has nothing to do with Kem."

Investigators with the Panama City Beach Police Department and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement excavated parts of this 400-acre wooded property near the Sandy Creek area after a cadaver dog indicated human remains might be buried here.

The police had come here hoping to find the remains of Ray, an Atlanta woman who vanished from the grounds of a Panama City Beach motel in 1992. She left behind her car, purse, keys and sleeping children. Police found no signs of a struggle.

About 30 yards from the current search site lies the spot where police discovered the remains of Donna Callahan in 1996. Callahan, then 29 and pregnant, had disappeared from a convenience store where she worked near Gulf Breeze on Aug. 6, 1989.

Her remains were found seven years later, when a prison inmate finally disclosed where she had been buried. Mark Riebe and his half-brother, William Alex Wells, are now serving life sentences in the Santa Rosa County Correctional Institution for her murder.

Riebe has been interviewed several times by Panama City Beach police regarding the Ray case.

About a quarter of a mile from the hole in the ground off Coy Ellis Road is a house where Riebe's mother lives. "No Trespassing" signs bar the gate. No one stirs in the yards. No lights shine from inside the home.

One mile from the hole in the ground is a yellow caution sign with the words, "Children Playing," but there are no children around the nearby homes.

Dead-end lanes, sand roads and washed out tracks that amount to little more than wagon trails lead nowhere into the woods all around. Down one trail is a clearing guarded by an empty deer stand; down another muddy rut is a doublewide trailer with no one home.

Somewhere in those woods, at a location undisclosed by the police, investigators continued searching and sifting the earth. A dog trained to sniff for human remains showed interest in a few sites and police carefully dug into those areas.

FDLE spokeswoman Lisa Lagergren said police could not say exactly what the digs had uncovered. Any evidence taken from the area will require weeks or months of study before it is identified.

"There had been a rumor about a body, but there's no bodies," Lagergren said. "There's nothing that you could say is definitely something."

Police will continue searching other parts of the property during the next few days, Lagergren said.

Nurselady- Do you remeber a few years back, a pond was drained somewhere in the panhandle in the search for Kem. Just curious how close it might be to this area.

I have seen the case of the convienece store clerk on TV.

Nurselady- Do you remeber a few years back, a pond was drained somewhere in the panhandle in the search for Kem. Just curious how close it might be to this area.

Yes,but I can't find anything about it..Thought it was something concerning the two brothers..I believe they could have been involved with many missing persons!

Also the Sandy creek area contains many small ponds!!

Anyone else wonder about the keys being found in the locked car if the kids were sleeping? Intentional, accident, to leave the AC going... Was she going to wake them up to get back in, have an extra key?

Anyone else wonder about the keys being found in the locked car if the kids were sleeping? Intentional, accident, to leave the AC going... Was she going to wake them up to get back in, have an extra key?

Not unusual. I've done that. Kids were sleeping, she wanted to to leave the AC on. She might have had her spare in her pocket to let herself back in. I always carry a spare set in my purse.

Why haven't they released the suspect's name? The man is in prison. What harm can it do?

I believe the suspect they "have" is Mark Riebe. He and his half brother William Alex WElls were convicted of the murder of Donna Callahan, a convenience store clerk in Gulf Breeze Fl. They buried her north of DeFuniak Springs Florida. Wells bragged to another inmante about the murder while he was in prison for armed robbery. The inmate told on him, and he confessed. The death penalty was taken off the table because he divulged where the body was, and implicated his brother.

Riebe tried to kill himself after he was arrested. After his conviction, he confessed to other murders, including Pamela Ray's murder. The police Searched family property north of DeFuniak Springs for Ray. They didn't find anything. So far Riebe and Wells have only been charged with and convicted of the murder of Donna Callahan.

Another observation. Why was she in Panama City? Why did she drive there in the middle of the night and why was she looking for a motel if the family had a condo purchased under her name in Panama City? Why didn't she just go there? The whole thing is odd. I don't have the random abduction feeling, more like she went there to meet someone and something bad happened.

Another observation. Why was she in Panama City? Why did she drive there in the middle of the night and why was she looking for a motel if the family had a condo purchased under her name in Panama City? Why didn't she just go there? The whole thing is odd. I don't have the random abduction feeling, more like she went there to meet someone and something bad happened.

PJR was driving to PCB with her children. She drove in the night while the children slept. Many families used to drive at night rather than waiting til the next morning to leave home. It gave them a full day at the beach rather than a partial one. We did this often while our kids were growing up.

The Wilhite motel was an old family motel that has long since been torn down to make room for high rise condos. The Strip in PCB used to be lined with these motels and it was common for the person wanting a room that would be arriving after hours to call and make arrangements to pick a key up left in a designated spot. This is what PJR had done . It is why she was out of her car at the motel in the middle of the night and the children were sleeping in the locked car.
Sometimes there was a mix up and the key didn't get put in the designated spot as agreed. This is what happened to us at PCB on our honeymoon and we were looking for a room in the middle of the night.

She didn't use the condo because the bank they owed the money back to had it. There is a long discussion of all this at sitcoms online if you are interested.hope this helps clear up some things for you.

The link to the sitcoms discussion is on page one of this thread.

Pamela Ray Disappearance Still a Mystery 25 Years Later

http://www.mypanhandle.com/news/pamela-ray-disapperance-still-a-mystery-25-years-later/786231638

In a filing cabinet at the Panama City Beach Police Department, there are 25 years of files but no answers as to what happened to a Georgia woman who vanished while visiting the beach.

<snipped>

Seven years after she disappeared, police said Mark Riebe confessed to killing Ray but later recanted his statement. Riebe is currently serving a life sentence in prison for killing a Gulf Breeze woman.

"We've talked to him occasionally, but we get no new leads from him that we can actually identify him as our number one suspect," Whitman said.

I remember this case from Unsolved Mysteries, but it's not on the ones available at Amazon Prime

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ServerNotResponding
Back