FL FL - Robert "Bobby" Grossman, 18, Boca Raton, 3 Aug 1997

Warwick1991

Reaction score
Today a PBSO press release reminded the public about a forgotten case. A teenager left his parents home after an argument in August 1997, and was never seen again. Several newspaper outlets, including WPTV linked below, used an erroneous press release that gave his surname as Goodman. However, it is Grossman.
https://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-...ereabouts-of-long-term-missing-boca-raton-man

"According to the sheriff's office, at the time of his disappearance, there was no indication of drugs or alcohol dependency issues nor was Grossman affiliated with any high-risk criminal activity."

The case is listed in the Charley Project. The image at right is an attempt to show what Grossman would look like today if he is still alive.

245781278_201733105400678_6833238524896272065_n.jpg

Palm Beach County Sherriff's Office (PBSO) Facebook page has some details and comments, including some by former high school classmates.

An archived 1997 newspaper article describes Grossman as 5'-8" and 135 pounds. POLICE TO BEGIN HUNT FOR MISSING TEEN, 18

Last edited:
I see now that there is a locked earlier thread titled Robert Louis Grossman, about the same young man, under Missing Children in America. Current press releases don’t use his middle name, Louis.

Apparently, the case has the attention of local LE now. Hopefully they have some clues or are trying to get someone to talk….. There is possible foul play.

Charley Project link: Robert Louis Grossman – The Charley Project

Last edited:
I see now that there is a locked earlier thread titled Robert Louis Grossman, about the same young man, under Missing Children in America. Current press releases don’t use his middle name, Louis.

Apparently, the case has the attention of local LE now. Hopefully they have some clues or are trying to get someone to talk….. There is possible foul play.

Charley Project link: Robert Louis Grossman – The Charley Project

That was me sorry if it was not in the correct forum or format. Thanks

Hi there a friend I grew up with went missing at 18 and would now be 42. Terrible...I hope I entered info and links properly...He didn’t runaway, or all the other theories on some sites. He was definitely met by foul play just don’t know who why and where he may be…

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Robert Louis Grossman – The Charley Project

I see some discrepancies in his reported height. Namus and Doe Network 5'0 - 5'1, CP 5'9. That is a big gap.

The phone call to the girlfriend is odd. Why her and not his family. Why months later. It's suggesting that the caller was a known person, at least to her. I have the feeling it was a prank call. Thoughts?

Also weird that nobody noticed a boy only dressed in shorts. Or is this a normal "dress code" in Boca Raton in August?

Just to get a visual. Bobby was living in the 9300 block of Affirmed Lane. He left his parents house allegedly only dressed in a short. From Google street view; this is where he approx. lived. This is the oldest picture I could find; December 2007. Don't know if it looked very different in 1997. Would he have walked in either one directions on Affirmed Lane or did he take the Alydar Way and hitched a ride on the Spanish Isles Boulevard, more of a main road. Would an unknown "family man", so to speak, take a hitchhiker only dressed in shorts? Where would he "land" if he went out of the back door, if this was even possible. I noticed there are a lot of bodies of water around there.

What could have been his destination? This is where it becomes important to know him. What made him tick, what kind of behavior would he normally display?

Were his girlfriend and friends living close by? A close family member near by? Was there a place where youth from the neighborhood gathered on summer evenings? Did LE canvassed the neighborhood, went from door to door?

Google Maps

upload_2022-1-15_12-47-36.png

For what it's worth. This are the weather reports from August 3th, 1997.
Boca Raton August 3, 1997 Historical Weather (Florida, United States) - Weather Spark
Sunday-August-3-1997-in-Boca-Raton-Florida-United-States

It was a Sunday, already dark at 9.30 p.m., full moon, but (as I understand) with an overcast, later clear and still warm.

What happened to this beauty? Is there really one picture in the family picture books...
I grew up there. I knew him and I know his brother pretty well. I remember when it happened I remember seeing him his brother and other friends at strikes bowling alley in boca a few days prior. I knew his gf now we are more acquaintances. I know the area and the type of environment. There were several “gangs” at the time. He was not affiliated as far as I know. He worked at saint andrews school as a camp counselor in the summer also where his mom worked. He was a senior in high school. Yes it’s normal in Florida as a man on a hot summer night and angry ti walk out in shorts w no shoes if you plan on walking to a neighborhood friend or just to cool off then head Back home. Not normal if your trying to be on the run or whatever other wild theories people come up with. I believe he was met with foul play but not sure as to the person or people responsible or why.

I grew up there. I knew him and I know his brother pretty well. I remember when it happened I remember seeing him his brother and other friends at strikes bowling alley in boca a few days prior. I knew his gf now we are more acquaintances. I know the area and the type of environment. There were several “gangs” at the time. He was not affiliated as far as I know. He worked at saint andrews school as a camp counselor in the summer also where his mom worked. He was a senior in high school. Yes it’s normal in Florida as a man on a hot summer night and angry ti walk out in shorts w no shoes if you plan on walking to a neighborhood friend or just to cool off then head Back home. Not normal if your trying to be on the run or whatever other wild theories people come up with. I believe he was met with foul play but not sure as to the person or people responsible or why.

What is your idea/opinion on the phone call made to his girlfriend? Do you know what the family did to find him or his remains. Sorry for not getting over the content of the existing files again....do you know if there is DNA given by family members, was he ruled out against John Doe's found? And still....why is there only one picture of him? Having better pictures could jog somebody's memory....even today.

Last edited:
What is your idea/opinion on the phone call made to his girlfriend? Do you know what the family did to find him or his remains. Sorry for not getting over the content of the existing files again....do you know if there is DNA given by family members, was he ruled out against John Doe's found? And still....why is there only one picture of him? Having better pictures could jog somebody's memory....even today.
My humble opinion is that he was killed. The killer(s) and the caller knew him and his girlfriend. The family relied on police to search which they did by helicopter and by dive/foot of the 18th street canal and that search turned up nothing. I know friends drive around for 2 days looking for him prior to missing report. There is DNA fingerprints and dental available. Not sure if any John Doe’s ruled out as I do not see any on Namus. Not sure why there’s only one picture of him. I only have spoken to the brother about it and had to explain I don’t want money fame or anything at all it’s just always been on my mind because apparently others may have wanted to investigate for money or make it more public for the fame. Not 100% sure why there’s not more done but I was basically told thank you so much I’ll think about it and they’ve come to terms or peace with it or to painful to rehash. So I didn’t press the issue and respected that but I’ve always just searched on my own when I can. However, there is an interesting post on Facebook letting his brother know where to look if he wants to know and so I’ve tried my best to stay out of it and just search on my own as I mentioned.
2108DMFL - Robert Louis Grossman

My humble opinion is that he was killed. The killer(s) and the caller knew him and his girlfriend. The family relied on police to search which they did by helicopter and by dive/foot of the 18th street canal and that search turned up nothing. I know friends drive around for 2 days looking for him prior to missing report. There is DNA fingerprints and dental available. Not sure if any John Doe’s ruled out as I do not see any on Namus. Not sure why there’s only one picture of him. I only have spoken to the brother about it and had to explain I don’t want money fame or anything at all it’s just always been on my mind because apparently others may have wanted to investigate for money or make it more public for the fame. Not 100% sure why there’s not more done but I was basically told thank you so much I’ll think about it and they’ve come to terms or peace with it or to painful to rehash. So I didn’t press the issue and respected that but I’ve always just searched on my own when I can. However, there is an interesting post on Facebook letting his brother know where to look if he wants to know and so I’ve tried my best to stay out of it and just search on my own as I mentioned.

Is this a missing robert grossman site...I think it's allowed to post here.

It sounds a bit harsh, but if family did let it go...maybe they didn't (but that's what I'm "tasting" from your post) and I respect that if that's their choice...life goes on...what could be a motivation for a stranger, like me, to push on through? I wonder what his brother thinks of this thread. He must have found it by now. Also I'm very interested in the Facebook post you mentioned, but most of all what his brother/family and LE did with it.

Last edited:
I don’t think it has anything to do with the family his father is a pro tennis player and was on New York and he lived with his mom and brother. There were some gangs around the time around the area. I’m attaching screen shots of the page I mentioned protecting identities. The first is his brothers post and second is from someone that appears to know something…I don’t know.

Attachments

• 3AEBC0FE-51E8-49A2-9CD5-A38428998647.jpeg
    3AEBC0FE-51E8-49A2-9CD5-A38428998647.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 41
  • F1D89C83-98B3-4783-A055-65E99D0D4010.jpeg
    F1D89C83-98B3-4783-A055-65E99D0D4010.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 40

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors