Identified! FL- Sawgrass Mills shopping center, human remains found in white ‘83 Oldsmobile, submerged in 24ft deep retention pond, 6 Jan. 2024 - Kareem D Tisdale

dotr

Reaction score
1704802185236.png
''The vehicle was discovered Saturday by Sunshine State Sonar, a volunteer search organization.

Sunrise Police officials said the group had observed an anomaly in the lake, which is near the Ashley Furniture parking lot just off N. Flamingo Road.

In a social media post, Sunshine State Sonar said the white 1983 Oldsmobile was submerged in 24 feet of water.

Police said they're still trying to identify the remains and determine if the remains are from one person or multiple people.''

Did I miss something? The title of the thread says three bodies while the article says police are still determining one or multiple. It is early here and I may not be functioning on all cylinders yet.

Did I miss something? The title of the thread says three bodies while the article says police are still determining one or multiple. It is early here and I may not be functioning on all cylinders yet.
Early here too, been poking around trying to figure out if the thread heading is accurate or not, articles vary and several cars have been found if i understand correctly. Confused!

Look at this post on Facebook

1983 Oldsmobile located with multiple deceased occupants‼️

This vehicle was located on sonar in a retention pond in front of the Sawgrass Mills Mall in Sunrise, Florida. We located this vehicle at approximately 11 AM on January 6th teamed up with Adventures With Purpose. Vehicle was submerged in 24 feet of water at the entrance of the mall parking lot. This vehicle was located during our search for missing Sunrise resident Libby Dibenedetto. 

This is an active and ongoing investigation. We don’t have any information to release at this time.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims families.

Noting so as not to confuse with this case with the other submerged car located yesterday..
Jan 8 2023
''TAMARAC, Fla. – Divers recovered a person’s body inside a Toyota sports utility vehicle that was submerged in a canal on Monday in Broward County.
The relatives of Rondell C. Edwards, of Tamarac, rushed to the canal distraught. The 28-year-old father vanished on Saturday in a 2003 Toyota Highlander.''

Just found what could be a handy link.. fwiw

''It is unclear how many people were found in the vehicle; the recovery team said it is an active and ongoing investigation, and they have no further information to release at this time.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims families,” they wrote in their post.

A Sunrise police spokesperson told USA Today that the department helped pull the vehicle from the pond.

The car found was last registered in 2005, but no further information is available on the bodies as they are being tested to help identify them.''

In this article at the bottom, it mentions there were 3 people were found in a mall pond. I believe they’re referring to this case.

Snip
The duo of divers found a car containing the remains of three unidentified people in a mall pond later that weekend. On Dec. 30, 2023, Sunshine State Sonar also located a woman in a retention pond off the highway near Disney, believed to be belong to Sandra Lemire who went missing with her car in 2012.

''It is unclear how many people were found in the vehicle; the recovery team said it is an active and ongoing investigation, and they have no further information to release at this time.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims families,” they wrote in their post.

A Sunrise police spokesperson told USA Today that the department helped pull the vehicle from the pond.

The car found was last registered in 2005, but no further information is available on the bodies as they are being tested to help identify them.''

If they know when the car was last registered, then they may also know to whom it was registered. I suspect it won't take long to identify these bodies. Are we able to find any groups of three that went missing at that time?

And there was another submerged car found yesterday too with a body inside that they've identified, unreleated to this case.

I've had a quick look, and I found this one, she is from Fort Myers, went missing 2005 along with Jesus Cruz-Perez who at the time was also found to be missing, they were going to an auto auction so this could possibly be a car they just bought and it's not changed registration .

Thread 'FL - Beatriz Adriana Wheeler, 33, Fort Myers, 19 Jan 2005' FL - FL - Beatriz Adriana Wheeler, 33, Fort Myers, 19 Jan 2005

I've had a quick look, and I found this one, she is from Fort Myers, went missing 2005 along with Jesus Cruz-Perez who at the time was also found to be missing, they were going to an auto auction so this could possibly be a car they just bought and it's not changed registration .

Thread 'FL - Beatriz Adriana Wheeler, 33, Fort Myers, 19 Jan 2005' FL - FL - Beatriz Adriana Wheeler, 33, Fort Myers, 19 Jan 2005
It seems...though not perfectly clear....that Mr. Cruz-Perez and Ms. Wheeler went missing with a specific vehicle. I say not clear because another vehicle is mentioned as well. Are both vehicles unaccounted for?
Also, they were last seen in Ft. Myers and the auction they were headed to was in Ft. Myers. This is on the other side of the state from where this vehicle was located.
All that to say I don't believe that this is them but still a great find and suggestion!

Just found what could be a handy link.. fwiw
Scanned (with my eyeballs) the document and did not find any 1983 Oldsmobiles.

Edit- Kudos to whomever compiled this list, however, I wonder the source(s) used. I only ask because Libby Dibenedetto...the person that the team was searching for when this vehicle was found...isn't on it and her case seems to be well documented on all the major missing sites.

Last edited:
This looks like an Olds Ninety-Eight.

Autotrader - page unavailable
(disregard the URL descriptor--the page is most definitely available)

The news report said it was an olds 1983. Are you confident that they've made a mistake?

ETA ... awh, just figured out "Ninety-Eight" is not the year, but the type of vehicle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenJoy
Back