FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an MB (I think AB's son) and a JC (MC's brother?) on the 2006 OPHS baseball team...Does anyone know if this is right? Can I post the link and would it help identify them? They are not minors, nor suspects that I know of, Im just trying to identify the young men in somers friends lives.

From this link:

http://www.news4jax.com/video/21360276/index.html

I know the backpack has been discussed ad infinitum in previous threads, but as I watch this video, and listen to DT (in response to a question) say @ 21:10 that Somer has "5 or 6" backpacks, and also says because she left for work in the morning before Somer went to school, she doesn't know which one she took that day, I can't help but say "Then go & check & see which one is missing out of those 5 or 6 and you'll know which one she took." Process of elimination. Like the Sheriff says in the same video - it's important to get an accurate description of her clothing, etc.

This video is from the Wednesday morning (10/21) press conference.

Yet it took exactly 3 weeks to get a description of the book bag out to the public.

Not that I want to launch another discussion of the book bag, but I remember there was a time when we were all wondering if she had several. Now we know she had "5 or 6", according to DT's statement.

From this link:

http://www.news4jax.com/video/21360276/index.html

I know the backpack has been discussed ad infinitum in previous threads, but as I watch this video, and listen to DT (in response to a question) say @ 21:10 that Somer has "5 or 6" backpacks, and also says because she left for work in the morning before Somer went to school, she doesn't know which one she took that day, I can't help but say "Then go & check & see which one is missing out of those 5 or 6 and you'll know which one she took." Process of elimination. Like the Sheriff says in the same video - it's important to get an accurate description of her clothing, etc.

This video is from the Wednesday morning (10/21) press conference.

Yet it took exactly 3 weeks to get a description of the book bag out to the public.

Not that I want to launch another discussion of the book bag, but I remember there was a time when we were all wondering if she had several. Now we know she had "5 or 6", according to DT's statement.

here is another one

From Orange Park Florida……

Clay County authorities have issued an Amber Alert for a missing 7-year-old Orange Park girl who vanished after school Monday.

More than 100 Clay County deputies and law enforcement personnel from neighboring counties were searching Monday and Tuesday in Orange Park for Somer Renee Thompson.

The second-grader is white, 3-foot-5 and 65 pounds. She had brown hair tied in a pony tail with a red bow and was carrying a purple Hannah Montana backpack and lunch box.
She was last seen West Gano Avenue and Debarry Avenue in Orange Park about 2:45 p.m. Monday heading home from Grove Park Elementary School. She was walking with her sister and some friends, but ran ahead of them.

She was wearing a black shirt under a cranberry colored sweat suit with pink stripes down the arms and legs. She possibly has a red bow in her hair and may have been wearing a white hat and a white scarf, authorities said.

Contact the Clay County Sheriff’s Department if you have information about Thompson’s location.

If an exact description can be put out immediately regarding what she was wearing - right down to the color of her socks - then even if no one remembered which book bag she was carrying on that day, did anyone ask the siblings? They were with her on the ride to school that morning and on the walk home. And even if the siblings didn't remember, how long would it take to take inventory?! Go through her closet, her room, or wherever the book bags were tossed when not in use, and just figure out which one was missing, and put out a description - just like a description of the exact color of the sweat suit/jumpsuit (cranberry) with pink silky stripes on the arms & legs, and just like the exact color of her hair bow (red) and just like the exact color of her socks (gray & blue striped), and just like the exact description of her shoes (rainbow colored).

No one had a photo or artist's rendition of her sweat suit/jumpsuit, or her shoes, or her socks, or her hair bow.

These were all described by the mother in great detail and we could all picture them based on their description.

Why was this never done with the mysterious book bag?! Why was inventory not taken immediately to determine which one was missing, and a description of what color, what style, what designs or emblems, or whatever might have conjured up a picture in the public's mind?

Okay - I guess I've launched another discussion about the book bag. Oh dear.

But it just has never made sense to me that with all the other concise descriptions of clothing, that the book bag she took that day couldn't have been figured out sooner (if she has 5 or 6 - then which one wasn't in the pile?!) and it just never made sense that with all the interviews, DT couldn't have come up with a description of the book bag sooner.

No - the public had to wait 3 weeks for an artist's rendition, because DT didn't know which one she took that day.

If an exact description can be put out immediately regarding what she was wearing - right down to the color of her socks - then even if no one remembered which book bag she was carrying on that day, did anyone ask the siblings? They were with her on the ride to school that morning and on the walk home. And even if the siblings didn't remember, how long would it take to take inventory?! Go through her closet, her room, or wherever the book bags were tossed when not in use, and just figure out which one was missing, and put out a description - just like a description of the exact color of the sweat suit/jumpsuit (cranberry) with pink silky stripes on the arms & legs, and just like the exact color of her hair bow (red) and just like the exact color of her socks (gray & blue striped), and just like the exact description of her shoes (rainbow colored).

No one had a photo or artist's rendition of her sweat suit/jumpsuit, or her shoes, or her socks, or her hair bow.

These were all described by the mother in great detail and we could all picture them based on their description.

Why was this never done with the mysterious book bag?! Why was inventory not taken immediately to determine which one was missing, and a description of what color, what style, what designs or emblems, or whatever might have conjured up a picture in the public's mind?

Okay - I guess I've launched another discussion about the book bag. Oh dear.

But it just has never made sense to me that with all the other concise descriptions of clothing, that the book bag she took that day couldn't have been figured out sooner (if she has 5 or 6 - then which one wasn't in the pile?!) and it just never made sense that with all the interviews, DT couldn't have come up with a description of the book bag sooner.

No - the public had to wait 3 weeks for an artist's rendition, because DT didn't know which one she took that day.

Why would a first grader have 5 or 6?

Because kids use them for other things than school ... daycare, camps, etc. My friend's daughter, who is also 7, has more than 5. My own daughter has 3 that I can think of ... and has yet to attend a daycare or camp. Useful when going to visit family in nearby town or visiting aunts/uncles here. Nice to pack all her stuff in one place and she has a few familiar toys with her.

:eek:

How could I have missed something so completely obvious and nonsensical?!

Besides which, having raised two daughters, when the new school year comes along, kids only want to carry the new one.

I wonder If DT knew about the abduction attempt before Somer went missing?

Because kids use them for other things than school ... daycare, camps, etc. My friend's daughter, who is also 7, has more than 5. My own daughter has 3 that I can think of ... and has yet to attend a daycare or camp. Useful when going to visit family in nearby town or visiting aunts/uncles here. Nice to pack all her stuff in one place and she has a few familiar toys with her.

Do you rememeber which one she used last week? Was it the same all week or does she change often?

Ccane, I've seen mention of the purple HM backpack and in fact, it was mentioned in a news story in which they also described the clothing and it seemed that the HM backpack might have been mentioned at the same time, which is why I was looking for the video (which you found for me).

Now of course, as I think about it, with updates to articles as they are -- being made days after the original article was published (online), the HM backpack came from a different interview/source and the clothing description was added on 10/21, when Diena gave that description.

I agree that it should not have been that hard. List the backpacks she has and what one isn't there? Could ST and AT not help with what she had that day? What about AB or KB who saw her on the way to school.

I'm not sure it took that long for LE to know exactly what backpack she had taken, only that long to get that information released to the public.

Does your friend's daughter have more than one child? Not meaning to pry, just wanting to understand how many children the wardrobe budget has to cover.

I'm asking this because I have two daughters, and we bought them one new backpack each year, wanting to be frugal. On the other hand, my older sister has only one child, a daughter, and had more money to spend on the one child.

I'm thinking that with 4 kids to provide school supplies and wardrobes for, 5 or 6 backpacks for one child seems extravagant and expensive. But I suppose it's possible. Just costly.

They probably had new ones this year, some from last year, and some that had belonged to the older sister. Lots of girls have totebags, bookbag, and backpacks. I've found them before really cheap on clearance and stored them for when one breaks or a bigger one is needed and used to have quite a few different bags in a closet. When you have 4 kids it's good to have supply of things like that.

Do you rememeber which one she used last week? Was it the same all week or does she change often?

LOL
I know which one she used last week because it got tossed onto the front seat next to me day after day. (ETA: And I admit it that I am now fixated on kids' backpacks and have eyed all the kids' as they come out of the school searching for that elusive style.)

I paid more attention than what would be normal because it was a joke between us (me and my 3 yo). I would say: What backpack do you think K has today just as a way to pass the time as we waited. And she would make her guess. And I would make mine. So we paid attention to the backpacks K had ... and how many. She may have more but this year, she had 5 different ones she used (that I can recall now).

In the beginning of the school year, it changed almost daily. For the past month or more, she used the same one. I think because it accommodates the bulk of winter gear (shoes to change into, hat and mittens, sweatshirt).

ETA: Just saw Sorrell's question, and this child was only child untll recently. And the backpacks were accumulated over time in K's case. Her preschool required one.

I sorta thought a mod might start a new thread ... this one is getting pretty long. Not sure if I should start one or let it go on ...

I guess for me I would have a harder time remembering what socks my child had on .. the back pack would be the easy part

I think maybe it would be bacause she layed Somer's clothes out for her. I know I did when my child was 7.

IDK, just thinking.

I think maybe it would be bacause she layed Somer's clothes out for her. I know I did when my child was 7.

IDK, just thinking.

Sure I would believe it if the blue socks matched the outfit.. but they dont

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members