Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Do you ever watch the show on the history channel "The Food That Built America"
It is absolutely wonderful and amazing to learn how these genius men and women
basically invented a certain food- All the foods we take for granted weren't even here
100 years ago---- For example, they did a show on TV Dinners and how that came to be.
We were poor so we had Swanson TV Dinners quite often, or Chef Boy Ar Dee-- had that way too often but the story of Chef Boy Ar Dee was fascinating! He introduced Italian food to America!, Another example is Entenmann Baked goods- A woman started that company--
That show is fascinating. We’ve seen several episodes but not the Chef Boy ar Dee one.

Thank you—I do have Amazon Prime. I’ll investigate further, but I thought it’d be an extra monthly fee to add the History Channel for us.
If you search around, you might find it elsewehere.

I've discovered a new (free) streaming site for all kinds of shows. I cannot mention it here but it's named after the furthest planet from Earth . tv (it's a literal stream for various shows like a tv channel, you cannot pause, rewind or skip just streaming episodes and u cannot choose the ep but it is totally free so just FYI). I recommend a blocking tool for pop ups etc.

Also FYI I cannot stop eating those Lucky Me canton noodles I mentioned a few weeks ago! They're so good I have to control how much I have as they're very salty and loaded with MSG :rolleyes: I've been making them with either eggs or shrimp with a scoop of frozen veggies. Quickly becoming a comfort food!

I also finally pinpointed the type of soy sauce which explains why so many takeout dishes taste different than when I try to replicate them at home. It's called Kecap Manis which is a specific type of sweet soy sauce!

"Compared to kecap manis, the mildly salty regular soy sauce, the sweet soy sauce has a slightly thicker consistency and tastes much sweeter."

"Kecap manis is an essential sauce in the Indonesian pantry. It is used to add a pleasantly mild sweet and umami flavor to most popular Indonesian dishes, including..."

"Kecap manis is an Indonesian soy sauce that is sweet and savory, and kecap manis has a very thick, maple syrup-like consistency. Generally, kecap manis is a very rich soy sauce with a slightly smokey undertone with caramel notes."

I have known people who were allergic to MSG and people who were sensitive to it as well.

That is why I say dangerous. Also bc it makes foods more delicious apparently which can be dangerous IMO for example Chinese food w added MSG which makes it such a sneaky, delicious thing hahaha!
A former colleague said she was anaphylactic to it and would get very Ill. One of the good chips, meaning those that exclude msg, unlike doritos and pringles and corn chips, is SunChips. Consumer favorites like Doritos and Pringles are just some of the chip products that contain MSG (10, 11). Aside from being added to potato chips, corn chips, and snack mixes, MSG can be found in a number of other snack foods, so it's best to read the label if you want to avoid consuming this additive.

Healthline: Medical information and health advice you can trust. › nutrition

8 Foods with MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) - Healthline

A former colleague said she was anaphylactic to it and would get very Ill. One of the good chips, meaning those that exclude msg, unlike doritos and pringles and corn chips, is SunChips. Consumer favorites like Doritos and Pringles are just some of the chip products that contain MSG (10, 11). Aside from being added to potato chips, corn chips, and snack mixes, MSG can be found in a number of other snack foods, so it's best to read the label if you want to avoid consuming this additive.

Healthline: Medical information and health advice you can trust. › nutrition

8 Foods with MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) - Healthline

How scary for her. I hope she is also aware of the foods that are a natural source of glutamic acid, so she can avoid them.
I wasn’t aware prior, and it’s good information for anyone to know:

IMG_0275.jpeg

I didn't have to do much cooking last week when DH was recuperating from a wisdom tooth extraction. After this reprieve, I decided to make a few things this week. On Tuesday I cooked a huge pot of chicken and wild rice soup with meat from a Costco roto chicken, onion, celery, carrot, and mushrooms. Most recipes call for heavy cream, but I can't have the dairy, so I added the leftover chicken gravy that I had made the night before to make the soup creamy. I haven't made spinach and ricotta stuffed shells for a while and decided to make it today. Instead of pasta shells, I will use rigatoni and make a layered dish instead of individual stuffed shells. I'm planning to make red beans and rice this weekend. We haven't been out to dinner for a few weeks and will probably go out tomorrow after our afternoon manicures/pedicures. We'll stop at Nino's on our way to Picano's for a few groceries.

ETA: If any of you southern cooks have a good recipe for Red Beans and Rice, would you please share it? Thanks.

Last edited:
I didn't have to do much cooking last week when DH was recuperating from a wisdom tooth extraction. After this reprieve, I decided to make a few things this week. On Tuesday I cooked a huge pot of chicken and wild rice soup with meat from a Costco roto chicken, onion, celery, carrot, and mushrooms. Most recipes call for heavy cream, but I can't have the dairy, so I added the leftover chicken gravy that I had made the night before to make the soup creamy. I haven't made spinach and ricotta stuffed shells for a while and decided to make it today. Instead of pasta shells, I will use rigatoni and make a layered dish instead of individual stuffed shells. I'm planning to make red beans and rice this weekend. We haven't been out to dinner for a few weeks and will probably go out tomorrow after our afternoon manicures/pedicures. We'll stop at Nino's on our way to Picano's for a few groceries.

ETA: If any of you southern cooks have a good recipe for Red Beans and Rice, would you please share it? Thanks.
Are red beans and rice the same as peas and rice? As it was explained to me that Caribbean food is often served with peas and rice which is typically rice with beans (whenever I've had it, the beans were either red or purple/black but were not peas which are typically green IME).

I ask bc I was thinking about and craving this dish the other day. So yes, anyone with a good recipe please share with us :D

Here is a recipe from my favorite site. I have gotten many delicious recipes from this site and never a bad one. I will say though, I have not tried this one.

The recipe refers to kidney beans.

There is honestly nothing quite like Jamaican jerk chicken, ribs with coleslaw and rice w peas :eek:

Here is a recipe from my favorite site. I have gotten many delicious recipes from this site and never a bad one. I will say though, I have not tried this one.

Thank you! This looks similar to other recipes that I've been studying. Much simpler to use canned beans than dry. :)

Another food recall

Sargento is recalling shredded and grated cheese products sold to food service groups in 15 states over concerns the cheeses could be contaminated with listeria.

No Sargento-branded products sold in traditional grocery stores were affected. The recall has been linked to one supplier, California-based Rizo-Lopez Foods Inc., that has also affected numerous other cheese brands

Another food recall

Sargento is recalling shredded and grated cheese products sold to food service groups in 15 states over concerns the cheeses could be contaminated with listeria.

No Sargento-branded products sold in traditional grocery stores were affected. The recall has been linked to one supplier, California-based Rizo-Lopez Foods Inc., that has also affected numerous other cheese brands
Everything is being recalled! I saw something on MSN about cinnamon being recalled for lead contamination.

One product which I've seen consistently recalled is Sabra brand hummus dip. Listeria every time I've seen the recall (about 5 or 6 times now). Hummus is not hard to make at home...!

eta: What does food service mean? As in restaurants, repackaged, hospitals??

Everything is being recalled! I saw something on MSN about cinnamon being recalled for lead contamination.

One product which I've seen consistently recalled is Sabra brand hummus dip. Listeria every time I've seen the recall (about 5 or 6 times now). Hummus is not hard to make at home...!

eta: What does food service mean? As in restaurants, repackaged, hospitals??
Yes- school cafeterias, restaurants, etc.

Another recall - Johnsonville Polish Kielbasa turkey sausage.

Wisconsin-based cooked sausages producer is recalling about 35,430 pounds of turkey sausage over concerns they may be contaminated with pieces of rubber, the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has said.

In an alert issued on Thursday, the federal agency announced that Salm Partners, which describes itself as the "market leader in cook-in-package sausage and hot dogs," was recalling batches of 12-ounce Johnsonville Polish Kielbasa turkey sausage.

Red beans are not the same as Kidney Beans. Kidney Beans (both light and dark) are bigger and have tougher skins than Red Beans.
IMO, I love using red beans in chili. I use kidney beans in heartier recipes with longer cooking times.

PS - I am referring to canned beans.

Last edited:
Red beans are not the same as Kidney Beans. Kidney Beans (both light and dark) are bigger and have tougher skins than Red Beans.
IMO, I love using red beans in chili. I use kidney beans in heartier recipes with longer cooking times.

PS - I am referring to canned beans.
@Puzzles8 , maybe that’s why I’m not that keen on kidney beans, too—the tougher skin.

I’ll have to remember to check the grocery shelves here for “red beans” and also “great northern beans” that everyone here have been discussing. I wonder if they are not sold here as much, as I don’t think they are as prominently displayed—or maybe it’s just me being inobservant. :p

@Puzzles8 , maybe that’s why I’m not that keen on kidney beans, too—the tougher skin.

I’ll have to remember to check the grocery shelves here for “red beans” and also “great northern beans” that everyone here have been discussing. I wonder if they are not sold here as much, as I don’t think they are as prominently displayed—or maybe it’s just me being inobservant. :p
Red beans are sometimes hard to find. I find it tends to be regional. We have a great supermarket nearby that will special order them for me, I like the Bush brand. The are quite common is Wisconsin, but not as common here in Illinois.

Good luck in your search!

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member