Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

This is my favorite cheese, we use it for so many different things. It is one of the cheeses that I use in my baked macaroni and cheese recipe, and it makes excellent grilled cheese, especially when you add fresh tomato slices.

Cabot Seriously Sharp Vermont White Cheddar
Cabot and Tillamook Cheese are the best ones out there.

I posted these articles on the Eclipse thread but thought they might be welcomed here, as well, since they involve food. Are you planning any special foods for the eclipse? DH and I are going to do a big nacho with tortilla chips, a couple of different cheeses (including Cabot white cheddar), black beans with peppers and onions, topped with two sunny-side-up eggs.

I’m on the edge of totality in Texas so we are eating what we can find in the house to avoid the crowds. Today I’m braising some short ribs Chinese style and will have steamed rice and stir fried asparagus. Tomorrow will probably be leftovers.

I’m on the edge of totality in Texas so we are eating what we can find in the house to avoid the crowds. Today I’m braising some short ribs Chinese style and will have steamed rice and stir fried asparagus. Tomorrow will probably be leftovers.
That sounds delicious! Will you get some seconds/minutes of totality where you are?

In downtown Savannah yesterday we had lunch at Roly Poly sandwich shop. My girls liked that they had GF & Veg options. I had the Key West Cuban and it was delicious.

For dinner we went to Troy Mediterranean. I had the gyro & lemon chicken soup. My youngest had grape leaves, a spring salad & falafel. She said the grape leaves were the best she’s ever had. My oldest had a mozzarella tomato salad and chicken skewers with rice.

Speaking of blue cheese (or bleu cheese as my mother would have said) I have a really good baked macaroni and cheese recipe that uses blue cheese, along with other cheddar and Monterey Jack, and hot sauce. I’ve made it to take to parties and get togethers, and occasionally when someone has asked for the recipe because they love it they are shocked that blue cheese is one of the ingredients. Because they say they don’t care for blue cheese.

Not a huge bleu cheese fan, but can dig a “black and bleu” burger or black and bleu grilled chicken salad…(Blackened seasoning on the meat and bleu cheese)

This morning I made the hash brown casserole with gluten free cream of chicken soup. The Pacific Foods brand was made with rice flour and had less sodium (but still a lot) than the Campbell's version. I thought the soup was watery. It could have used a tablespoon of gluten free flour, (bean based rather than rice) to thicken it. I baked it a about 15 minutes longer to crisp it up. It was blander, I thought, so next time maybe more pepper, a little more onion, etc.

We also had low sodium bacon, eggs, grapes, orange juice, chocolate milk, tea and coffee. Delicious!

Yum hash brown casserole, my favorite at Cracker Barrel…

Hmmmm seems there are some “top secret” hash brown casserole recipes online lol.

Last edited:
Not a huge bleu cheese fan, but can dig a “black and bleu” burger or black and bleu grilled chicken salad…(Blackened seasoning on the meat and bleu cheese)

Yum hash brown casserole, my favorite at Cracker Barrel…

Hmmmm seems there are some “top secret” hash brown casserole recipes online lol.
I got this recipe from a Cracker Barrel employee years ago. I usually cut the recipe down to 1/4 proportions.

Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole

10 pounds frozen hash browns,
3 pounds Colby Cheese, shredded
1 #10 can Cream of Mushroom soup

With olive oil, grease bottom of four baking pans or glass casserole dishes.

Combine ingredients, and divide between baking dishes.

Bake at 350 (convection) for 45 min. Cut into squares and serve with spatula. I serve upside down, as bottom will be browned.

48 servings

To make a smaller batch you can easily cut the recipe in 1/2 or 1/4.

We were served eclipse snacks and an alcoholic beverage called The Eclipse after totality on our cruise today.
So cool! The snacks look good.

Last night we went to dinner with friends and I had dark chocolate gelato for dessert, in honor of the total eclipse (a reasonable excuse, I thought). We have leftover pasta with seafood for dinner tonight, just have to make a salad!

I came across this recipe and thought it sounded good. Has anyone here tried anything similar? Although it’s egg, I think it would be good for dinner too.

Which, sadly, is NOT totality... that is a partial eclipse. Would you consider driving far enough to get within the path of totality? I sure would! :D But it may be moot if it's cloudy. :(
Had to work so unfortunately no drive for me. We were able to stage the samples so we could go out and look at what we had. It was supposed to be cloudy but it managed to clear off for it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaPrirl
Back