Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

I had a really amazing pizza at this Italian restaurant recently. And since then I’ve been on a Calabrian Chile kick.

I’ve seen Bobby Flay use this ingredient a lot, now I know why.

Calabrian chiles are a type of chile pepper grown in the Italian region of Calabria. It seems a major favored brand by chefs is Tutto Calabria.

Normally I’m not huge on chicken on pizza, but this pizza was special. It had pepperoni, chicken sliced suuuper thin like deli meat, the Calabrian chiles, pesto….

Now I order these peppers on Amazon a lot. You can get them whole, crushed…I recommend whole and slice them…the oil in the bottle is delicious and I use it on other things.

If you make these, give us a report!
Have you ever made 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies? These were very popular when I was a teen, if we had social media back then this recipe would have gone viral.

I made them only once, I didn’t care for the texture. They look like regular peanut butter cookies but definitely not the same texture.

People rave about this recipe because it is so easy but I never found it difficult to mix up a batch of regular peanut butter cookie dough.

• 1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
  • 1 cup sugar (plus extra for dipping if desired)
  • 1 egg

1. Using an electric mixer or a strong spoon, mix together the peanut butter, white sugar and egg until smooth.
  2. Form dough into round balls the size of a tablespoon. Then roll in an extra bowl of sugar, if desired, to coat the outside of the dough ball. Place on the baking sheet at least 2 inches apart, and then use a fork to flatten and form a cross pattern.
  3. Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cookies are just slightly browned on the botton, being careful not to over-bake. Remove and let cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Scallops are one of my favorite foods, but I am not good at cooking them. So when scallops are on the menu I usually try them.

I ordered diver scallops served over polenta and it was a tasty dish.

Attachments

• IMG_4934.jpeg
    IMG_4934.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 15
I had a really amazing pizza at this Italian restaurant recently. And since then I’ve been on a Calabrian Chile kick.

Calabrian chiles are a type of chile pepper grown in the Italian region of Calabria. It seems a major favored brand by chefs is Tutto Calabria.

Normally I’m not huge on chicken on pizza, but this pizza was special. It had pepperoni, chicken sliced suuuper thin like deli meat, the Calabrian chiles, pesto….

Now I order these peppers on Amazon a lot. You can get them whole, crushed…I recommend whole and slice them…the oil in the bottle is delicious and I use it on other things.
Are these peppers really tart, such as pickled jalapeños? I noticed they are in oil though, and vinegar is the last ingredient listed. So I’m thinking they are t really sour?

Are these peppers really tart, such as pickled jalapeños? I noticed they are in oil though, and vinegar is the last ingredient listed. So I’m thinking they are t really sour?

Yeah, it’s an interesting flavor, I would say they do have some tartness, but not as much as a pickled banana pepper per say…

Eta: I wou0d say they add the right amount amount of “acid,” as we say in the foodie world lol.

Have you ever made 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies? These were very popular when I was a teen, if we had social media back then this recipe would have gone viral.

I made them only once, I didn’t care for the texture. They look like regular peanut butter cookies but definitely not the same texture.

People rave about this recipe because it is so easy but I never found it difficult to mix up a batch of regular peanut butter cookie dough.

• 1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
  • 1 cup sugar (plus extra for dipping if desired)
  • 1 egg

1. Using an electric mixer or a strong spoon, mix together the peanut butter, white sugar and egg until smooth.
  2. Form dough into round balls the size of a tablespoon. Then roll in an extra bowl of sugar, if desired, to coat the outside of the dough ball. Place on the baking sheet at least 2 inches apart, and then use a fork to flatten and form a cross pattern.
  3. Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cookies are just slightly browned on the botton, being careful not to over-bake. Remove and let cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Those sound good! I wonder if sugar could be replaced with Splenda. I’m trying to cut carbs.

Here comes summer! Mother Nature skipped right over Spring, as usual. I’ll be hibernating in the A/C.

Sometimes it’s too hot to eat a meal. I bought turkey sandwich fixins, as I don’t cook during treatment week. Lots of snacks left over from vacation.

I have 2 biscuits & bacon left from my Cracker Barrel meal. Time to make breakfast.

ETA: I’m not quite adept at cast iron cooking yet.

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpeg
    IMG_4290.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4291.jpeg
    IMG_4291.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4292.jpeg
    IMG_4292.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Here comes summer! Mother Nature skipped right over Spring, as usual. I’ll be hibernating in the A/C.

Sometimes it’s too hot to eat a meal. I bought turkey sandwich fixins, as I don’t cook during treatment week. Lots of snacks left over from vacation.

I have 2 biscuits & bacon left from my Cracker Barrel meal. Time to make breakfast.

Payroll, do you eat mustard on eggs? I know some people eat ketchup on eggs, lol.

The produce pickup had some good stuff this morning.

The onions looked rough and I thought I’d have to toss some. But I washed them, peeled them and they’re fine. Now I’m going to chop them up and put them in quart size bags for the freezer. I’ll quarter some for roasting with other veggies.

I’ve offered the asparagus & mushrooms to my friend since we don’t eat those. The mangoes were soft and I’m allergic to them so they went to the trash. I can’t put them in my compost either.

I’ll probably go to the church’s regular grocery pick up this evening. I’ve been out of town for weeks. We tried to use up a lot before we left. So it’s time to restock.

As always, so very grateful for the generosity of others. This really helps me and my daughter keep our heads above the water so to speak.

Attachments

• IMG_4302.jpeg
    IMG_4302.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4306.jpeg
    IMG_4306.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4307.jpeg
    IMG_4307.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4301.jpeg
    IMG_4301.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4298.jpeg
    IMG_4298.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 10
The produce pickup had some good stuff this morning.

The onions looked rough and I thought I’d have to toss some. But I washed them, peeled them and they’re fine. Now I’m going to chop them up and put them in quart size bags for the freezer. I’ll quarter some for roasting with other veggies.

I’ve offered the asparagus & mushrooms to my friend since we don’t eat those. The mangoes were soft and I’m allergic to them so they went to the trash. I can’t put them in my compost either.

I’ll probably go to the church’s regular grocery pick up this evening. I’ve been out of town for weeks. We tried to use up a lot before we left. So it’s time to restock.

As always, so very grateful for the generosity of others. This really helps me and my daughter keep our heads above the water so to speak.
Yeah, onions have to be pretty far gone to be unusable. Rotten middle is bad, but surface stuff, generally you can just peel down the layers until you hit good firm stuff again and they're fine.

Yeah, onions have to be pretty far gone to be unusable. Rotten middle is bad, but surface stuff, generally you can just peel down the layers until you hit good firm stuff again and they're fine.
I was surprised they were in such good shape. I figured out on my little chopper thing, that Chop minces and Grind chops. So the first baggie is minced. I put that in my freezer. I prefer minuscule pieces anyway. I did the other 2 bags as Grind. The 4th bag I cut so kiddo can roast them with her other veggies.

I ended up with more broccoli and asparagus from the church’s grocery pickup tonight. So now kiddo has lots of broccoli!!

I started a free food box because we’re allergic to almonds and mushrooms. We don’t eat tuna either.

I read the ingredients on the rice mix. There isn’t any chicken in it! It just flavored that way. I’m going to see if Kiddo wants it.

On vacation I found Gardein Unbreaded vegetarian chicken strips for her. She really liked them. They’d be good to add to that rice mix.

Attachments

• IMG_4315.jpeg
    IMG_4315.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4316.jpeg
    IMG_4316.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4317.jpeg
    IMG_4317.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4325.jpeg
    IMG_4325.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 13

it was 81/82 here Monday and now it is back in the 50s....saw a poor little dead snake. I can adapt to either temps but the see sawing back and forth is trying.

I keep meaning to look for Calabrian chiles when I'm in Nino's. Will put them on this week's grocery list, and if Nino's doesn't have them, I'll order from Amazon. Thanks for the tip.

I'm not a fan of most of the competition and game shows that seem to be the norm on Food Network these days, but I like "Beat Bobby Flay". I'll also admit to having a soft spot for "Triple D" even though I don't particularly like Guy Fieri. Both shows are fast-paced, good for a few laughs, and we get to see some good cooking and tasty food.

We have 2 in FL. 1 north of St Augustine and 1 in Daytona. Both on the east coast. I won’t be visiting either. I’m content with WaWa when it comes to gas station food. LOL!

it was 81/82 here Monday and now it is back in the 50s....saw a poor little dead snake. I can adapt to either temps but the see sawing back and forth is trying.
It’s in the 80s this week but humidity hasn’t been too bad. Very dry tho, not a raindrop in sight. I went out to turn the sprinkler on and this little fellow was sunbathing.

Attachments

• IMG_4297.jpeg
    IMG_4297.jpeg
    433.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4296.jpeg
    IMG_4296.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 17
It’s in the 80s this week but humidity hasn’t been too bad. Very dry tho, not a raindrop in sight. I went out to turn the sprinkler on and this little fellow was sunbathing.
I am no lover of snakes, but I think the solid black ones are generally pretty harmless. Once snakes with vivid patterns are visible with a wide jaw, I start to panic. Also those that shake a rattle are really bad news

Thankfully, I don't run into many of them!

I hear the brown snake in Australia is pretty deadly.

We have 2 in FL. 1 north of St Augustine and 1 in Daytona. Both on the east coast. I won’t be visiting either. I’m content with WaWa when it comes to gas station food. LOL!

A 4th Florida Buc-ee’s location has been announced! Fort Pierce!

St. Augustine
Daytona
Ocala
Ft Pierce coming soon

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members