Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

The only time I visit Buc-ee’s is when I am travel. It is the only gas station food I ever eat.

We don’t have any Buc-ee’s locations in my state yet, but even if there was one close to home I probably wouldn’t be visit it often, if at all. Buc-ee’s is the best gas station food but it is road trip food as far as I am concerned.

A 4th Florida Buc-ee’s location has been announced! Fort Pierce!

St. Augustine
Daytona
Ocala
Ft Pierce coming soon

I didn't know there was one in Ocala. I just drove thru there on I-75 on Sunday. I’ll have to try to remember that. My Aunt & Uncle live in Sebastian FL which is north of Ft Pierce. Not sure we’d be down that way for anything tho.

We have a grocery place called Sunflower Market. It has random stuff and I don’t go there often. I found this chickpea butter there. I like it better than sunflower butter. It’s thicker whereas sunflower butter is runny.

I made a sandwich with blueberry jam today. I could barely tell it was chickpeas. It’s a nice alternative if you’re allergic to peanuts. You can’t taste the cocoa powder at all.

Attachments

• IMG_4330.jpeg
    IMG_4330.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4329.jpeg
    IMG_4329.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4334.jpeg
    IMG_4334.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4331.jpeg
    IMG_4331.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 6
It’s in the 80s this week but humidity hasn’t been too bad. Very dry tho, not a raindrop in sight. I went out to turn the sprinkler on and this little fellow was sunbathing.
He's all kinked up like black rat snakes do when they feel threatened! I believe they freeze and try to look like a stick to protect themselves. I've seen snakes looking like this.

We have a grocery place called Sunflower Market. It has random stuff and I don’t go there often. I found this chickpea butter there. I like it better than sunflower butter. It’s thicker whereas sunflower butter is runny.

I made a sandwich with blueberry jam today. I could barely tell it was chickpeas. It’s a nice alternative if you’re allergic to peanuts. You can’t taste the cocoa powder at all.
I know nothing about chickpeas…. But , There’s cocoa powder in chickpea butter? I never realized that. But, It actually sounds good. Does it taste anything like peanut butter?

I am no lover of snakes, but I think the solid black ones are generally pretty harmless. Once snakes with vivid patterns are visible with a wide jaw, I start to panic. Also those that shake a rattle are really bad news

Thankfully, I don't run into many of them!

I hear the brown snake in Australia is pretty deadly.
Yeah, we have eastern browns and king browns. Both have the potential to kill you. Our black snakes aren't great either, we have red belly and yellow belly ones.

And then there's our spiders. And our jellyfish. Our octopuses...

But we don't get much snow. Or very many earthquakes or tornadoes. And we don't have many guns. No volcanoes. So I think it kind of balances out a bit?

Ok, so made a burger, 80% gb, just a little salt, pep, celery salt & mustard into the burger mix, that's it. Pan fried em, steamed the bun a little. Made bacon jam: fried the bacon, added rice vinegar, brown sugar, onion, garlic, tiny bit maple syrup (reduced down). After the bacon jam, grilled some onions fried a couple eggs. Melted some really good mozz and sharp cheddar on top of beef patty. Removed patty, bottom bun=lettuce, burger patty on lettuce, grilled onions on top of patty. Bacon jam on top of that. Fried egg/runny yolk on top of that, covered w/top bun. Yum!! Still could have used a sauce. Gonna play around with that for the next couple days for different combinations. Wanted brie but it's an arm and a leg at this store I went to, so did a mozz ball.

Ok, so made a burger, 80% gb, just a little salt, pep, celery salt & mustard into the burger mix, that's it. Pan fried em, steamed the bun a little. Made bacon jam: fried the bacon, added rice vinegar, brown sugar, onion, garlic, tiny bit maple syrup (reduced down). After the bacon jam, grilled some onions fried a couple eggs. Melted some really good mozz and sharp cheddar on top of beef patty. Removed patty, bottom bun=lettuce, burger patty on lettuce, grilled onions on top of patty. Bacon jam on top of that. Fried egg/runny yolk on top of that, covered w/top bun. Yum!! Still could have used a sauce. Gonna play around with that for the next couple days for different combinations. Wanted brie but it's an arm and a leg at this store I went to, so did a mozz ball.
Sounds amazing!

DH got a rotisserie chicken at Costco on Tuesday, so I made Chicken Divan on Wednesday. I'm going to make Chicken Paprikash with the rest of the chicken today. As best I can remember, I didn't make Paprikash the entire winter. It's getting too warm for heavy meals, so this will be the last of my comfort cooking for a while. During the summer, we use a roto chicken for chicken salads. My favorite is Traverse City (MI) chicken salad that includes dried cherries, red onion, blue cheese, toasted walnuts, raspberry or blueberry vinaigrette on a bed of spring greens.

DH took advantage of some warm, dry weather a couple of weeks ago and hauled the grill from the garage to the patio. During the warm weather months, we enjoy grilled chicken or fish with veggies or salads. Very little indoor cooking.

DH got a rotisserie chicken at Costco on Tuesday, so I made Chicken Divan on Wednesday. I'm going to make Chicken Paprikash with the rest of the chicken today. As best I can remember, I didn't make Paprikash the entire winter. It's getting too warm for heavy meals, so this will be the last of my comfort cooking for a while. During the summer, we use a roto chicken for chicken salads. My favorite is Traverse City (MI) chicken salad that includes dried cherries, red onion, blue cheese, toasted walnuts, raspberry or blueberry vinaigrette on a bed of spring greens.

DH took advantage of some warm, dry weather a couple of weeks ago and hauled the grill from the garage to the patio. During the warm weather months, we enjoy grilled chicken or fish with veggies or salads. Very little indoor cooking.

Whereas I'm heading into winter warming cooking, lots of carbs and comfort. We actually have our gas heater on for the first time this year tonight!

I know nothing about chickpeas…. But , There’s cocoa powder in chickpea butter? I never realized that. But, It actually sounds good. Does it taste anything like peanut butter?
Chickpeas are a strong flavor when there’s nothing added to them. Like when I dip my raw carrots in hummus. But this was very mild. It’s definitely the texture of peanut butter which I liked. It reminded me of peanut butter but I don’t think it tastes like it.

About a month ago I took the bird netting off my strawberries and weeded, pulled out dead plants, etc. The strawberry plants in the towers didn’t survive winter. But the ones in the ground are doing great. The plastic grids lift the berries out of the dirt.

Now that they’re coming in, I’m going to put the netting back on. I’m not sure what I’ll put in the towers. Maybe marigold seeds or Dill?

I also put in my spring/summer sunflowers. I had to use 3 different packets to get enough seeds. Two packets were old and the one on the right is new. So we’ll see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_4343.jpeg
    IMG_4343.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4340.jpeg
    IMG_4340.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4341.jpeg
    IMG_4341.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 15
Okay, so I had leftover 80% ground beef and leftover mozzarella cheese ball (first time I could get one of these fresh little balls, so cool). So decided to make a marinara and meatballs, the marinara was quite good thanks to addition of fennel, which I haven't done before. We plowed through the meatballs, I still had a load of marinara left and some more ground beef. So I made spaghetti and panned up some seasoned ground beef (garlic, oregano, fennel, etc) to add to the marinara and make a kind of ragu (not really, no carrots or celery, but close). So then, drenched the spaghetti in a bit of reserved meatless marinara, put the noodles in casserole dish, put in the ragu, blended, and topped with the crumbled up mozz ball. Baked for about 15 mins, pretty good! Those mozz balls are the best thing ever.

I've never had an egg on a burger but have seen many photos and videos on cooking shows. It seems awfully indulgent, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it! I love the runny yolk of poached or fried eggs. Next time we have burgers, I'll cook an egg and include it with the avocado and lettuce on top my medium rare, blue cheese stuffed burger.

Chickpeas are a strong flavor when there’s nothing added to them. Like when I dip my raw carrots in hummus. But this was very mild. It’s definitely the texture of peanut butter which I liked. It reminded me of peanut butter but I don’t think it tastes like it.
Have you tried roasting chickpeas? I like this crispy, crunchy, healthy snack. Drain canned chickpeas and dry them well with paper towels. Spread chickpeas on a parchment- (or wax paper-) lined baking sheet. Toss the chickpeas in olive oil and salt. Roast in preheated 400* oven for 20-30 minutes until they begin to get crispy. Remove from oven and toss with additional salt and/or your favorite spices (I like smoked paprika). Let stand for 10-15 minutes until chickpeas cool.

Have you tried roasting chickpeas? I like this crispy, crunchy, healthy snack. Drain canned chickpeas and dry them well with paper towels. Spread chickpeas on a parchment- (or wax paper-) lined baking sheet. Toss the chickpeas in olive oil and salt. Roast in preheated 400* oven for 20-30 minutes until they begin to get crispy. Remove from oven and toss with additional salt and/or your favorite spices (I like smoked paprika). Let stand for 10-15 minutes until chickpeas cool.
I think Kiddo makes them that way. I’ve never tried them that way. I drain them and add them to a salad.

Envying a nice find in a nearby Costco shopper’s cart is quite common, and adding that SKU to your own haul may just be human nature. After all, who can stand to miss out on a bulk deal when the opportunity presents itself?

If you’re eager to peer into the Costco carts of shoppers nationwide, this new survey is for you.

The coupon aggregation site CouponBirds.com looked at social metrics to determine which Costco products are the most popular purchases in each state. Mac and cheese, fish sticks, and Kirkland prosecco all made the list. And yes, products from Costco’s in-house brand, Kirkland, feature prominently as most states’ most popular items...

Envying a nice find in a nearby Costco shopper’s cart is quite common, and adding that SKU to your own haul may just be human nature. After all, who can stand to miss out on a bulk deal when the opportunity presents itself?

If you’re eager to peer into the Costco carts of shoppers nationwide, this new survey is for you.

The coupon aggregation site CouponBirds.com looked at social metrics to determine which Costco products are the most popular purchases in each state. Mac and cheese, fish sticks, and Kirkland prosecco all made the list. And yes, products from Costco’s in-house brand, Kirkland, feature prominently as most states’ most popular items...
I happen to have a bottle of Kirkland prosecco in the fridge. We are overdue for a visit to Costco. I just wish it was closer instead of a half hour away.

there is chocolate humus at my supermarkets.... I like chocolate but I have not convinced myself to try chocolate humus... they call it "a dessert humus"

there is chocolate humus at my supermarkets.... I like chocolate but I have not convinced myself to try chocolate humus... they call it "a dessert humus"
I've had Boars Head chocolate hummus and was not impressed; haven't gotten it again. It was alright with strawberries and bananas, and it might be good with shortbread or sugar cookies. Not a fan.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riverstyx
Back