Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

I happen to have a bottle of Kirkland prosecco in the fridge. We are overdue for a visit to Costco. I just wish it was closer instead of a half hour away.
Our nearest Costco is about eight miles away, but there is no convenient way to get there, and it takes at least 25-30 minutes. DH goes once monthly when my Perrier supply runs out. We always get sockeye salmon, a rotisserie chicken, a tub of Basha hummus, and other food items that might be featured in the Costco coupon book or something that we need for the pantry. Sometimes paper or household products if we need them. We don't get wine there any more now that we have Total Wine nearby. Total Wine Spirits & More | Total Wine & More

Last edited:
I haven’t cooked much in the last 2 weeks. I made a small batch of macaroni and cheese from scratch last week.

I decided I’d give the fish another try by raising it up on a rack. I turned it a couple times and cooked it 5-7 minutes longer. It wasn’t mushy inside and was crispy outside. I didn’t have any buns to make a sandwich tho. It tasted much better.

This morning I wanted something for my homegrown blueberries, all 6 of them! Ha! I made oatmeal with 1/2 milk and 1/2 water, a sprinkle of brown sugar, my blueberries & a splash of milk. It was very tasty. I haven’t had oatmeal in 15+ years!

Attachments

• IMG_4392.jpeg
    IMG_4392.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4393.jpeg
    IMG_4393.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4418.jpeg
    IMG_4418.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4419.jpeg
    IMG_4419.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 8
My random purchases for the garden was a raspberry bush & sweet potato “seed potatoes”. The sweet potatoes will go way out back in the long bed. On top of the sweet potatoes, I’ll plant corn.

I put the raspberry “twig” out front in full sun. The strawberries are coming in now. They’re small but it’s their first year. I think the lizards are getting some of them.

I planted Dill & marigolds in the long green containers. Some sunflowers have sprouted!

My red potatoes are growing well but I think I have the soil too moist.

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_4414.jpeg
    IMG_4414.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4412.jpeg
    IMG_4412.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4413.jpeg
    IMG_4413.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4378.jpeg
    IMG_4378.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4377.jpeg
    IMG_4377.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4375.jpeg
    IMG_4375.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4361.jpeg
    IMG_4361.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4359.jpeg
    IMG_4359.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
In recent weeks, we have had unseasonably warm temperatures in the 70s that have caused everything to bloom at the same time. Allergies are driving me nuts: Runny nose, watery eyes, scratchy throat, constant post-nasal drip that makes me cough - especially during the night. I haven't felt like cooking, but we did have a little Seder dinner on Wednesday. I marinated rack of lamb in rosemary olive oil and lemon juice, and DH grilled them to perfect medium rare. We also had roasted red potatoes and asparagus. Our dinner was accompanied by a lovely Oregon Pinot Noir. We've be noshing on matzoh with smoked whitefish spread. I usually make this myself but didn't feel like it, so we got a nice smoked whitefish spread at Nino's seafood counter. I'm hoping that this allergy episode ends soon as its zapping my energy level.

I went to the big monthly food pick up this morning. They must want me to eat more chicken?

The whole bird is almost thawed. I may put that on the rotisserie. I have bay leaves, a few mandarin oranges, orange juice and that Green Goddess seasoning from Trader Joe’s. I can debone it and freeze some. Chicken Fried Rice sounds appealing.

The turkey tenderloin would be good on the grill. I could slice that for sandwiches.

Lots of corn so I will cut it off the cob. Then fry it up with onion, garlic, butter, salt & pepper. Then I can freeze it.

I didn’t even know there was drinkable yogurt! Maybe Kiddo will use that to make smoothies.

I have been thinking of making lasagna from scratch and freezing it unbaked in foil pans. That big pack of turkey would be good for that. Maybe in a few weeks I’ll fit that in.

Kiddo likes split pea soup. Her GMA taught her to make it years ago.

I might have to do a fish fry for myself! Maybe get a bag of those frozen hush puppies again.

Attachments

• IMG_4448.jpeg
    IMG_4448.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4449.jpeg
    IMG_4449.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4451.jpeg
    IMG_4451.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4453.jpeg
    IMG_4453.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4455.jpeg
    IMG_4455.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 14
Making some gingersnaps this morning. Recipe uses black pepper, pinch of cayenne and fresh ground ginger in it, in addition to the normal stuff. Started by browning the butter to drive out the moisture so hopefully they’ll have a good snap but not be rock hard. Dough is chilling so we are still in process.

Does anyone have a good leek recipe to recommend? We had several really tasty leek dishes on our cruise. I haven’t really cooked with leeks much but would like to try.
I just checked my Princess cookbook (2009) and don't see any leek recipes. I like leeks, too, but haven't cooked them often. They have a mild oniony flavor and can probably be used in dishes that call for onions. I had potato leek soup in a restaurant, and it was delicious. Potato Leek Soup - Once Upon a Chef

The Kentucky Derby is next Saturday, May 4. I've always wanted to make Hot Brown sandwiches but haven't made them yet. I will make sure to get the ingredients at Nino's next week. I will have to modify the Mornay sauce because I can't have all that rich dairy. The Hot Brown Recipe | An Iconic Louisville Recipe
I frequently work in Kentucky and there are two menu items that many restaurants feature: Hot Brown and Burgoo.

I hope you like it!

Some of my friends enjoyed staying in the historic Brown Hotel. They used to stay there for long weekends every year.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good leek recipe to recommend? We had several really tasty leek dishes on our cruise. I haven’t really cooked with leeks much but would like to try.
I’ve tried some but they always end up sandy, like I don’t get the leeks clean enough despite soaking and rinsing. I wish I could work with them. Maybe I need a salad spinner to get grit out.

Making some gingersnaps this morning. Recipe uses black pepper, pinch of cayenne and fresh ground ginger in it, in addition to the normal stuff. Started by browning the butter to drive out the moisture so hopefully they’ll have a good snap but not be rock hard. Dough is chilling so we are still in process.

Found recipe online if anyone wants to make them. They are quite good.

The Kentucky Derby is next Saturday, May 4. I've always wanted to make Hot Brown sandwiches but haven't made them yet. I will make sure to get the ingredients at Nino's next week. I will have to modify the Mornay sauce because I can't have all that rich dairy. The Hot Brown Recipe | An Iconic Louisville Recipe
My best-friend's mother was from Kentucky. They had box seats until her grandmother died.
I never had Hot Brown sandwiches at her house, but boy, could they make potent EggNog!
We are not horse racing fans, but we do clear the day to watch the Kentucky Derby!

ETA - I've never heard of Burgoo, but I looked up the recipe and it looks really tasty.

Buc-ees is quite the experience- stopped at one on our way home from Florida a couple years ago: Besides the enormous number of gas pumps and endless foodie stuff, their bathrooms are unbelievably spotless---- it will be great to have a Buc-ees in Michigan

I haven’t cooked much in the last 2 weeks. I made a small batch of macaroni and cheese from scratch last week.

I decided I’d give the fish another try by raising it up on a rack. I turned it a couple times and cooked it 5-7 minutes longer. It wasn’t mushy inside and was crispy outside. I didn’t have any buns to make a sandwich tho. It tasted much better.

This morning I wanted something for my homegrown blueberries, all 6 of them! Ha! I made oatmeal with 1/2 milk and 1/2 water, a sprinkle of brown sugar, my blueberries & a splash of milk. It was very tasty. I haven’t had oatmeal in 15+ years!
There is nothing like homegrown Blueberries, even if it's just six!

My best-friend's mother was from Kentucky. They had box seats until her grandmother died.
I never had Hot Brown sandwiches at her house, but boy, could they make potent EggNog!
We are not horse racing fans, but we do clear the day to watch the Kentucky Derby!

ETA - I've never heard of Burgoo, but I looked up the recipe and it looks really tasty.
I am a huge horse racing fan-- In 2005 we were treated to the Kentucky Derby by one of my husband's co workers who lives in Kentucky- We had great seats- endless food and we were wined and dined--- I was definitely happy to cross that off my bucket list--- it is just something I had to do! It is really a happening- even people like yourself who aren't horse racing fans, watch the Derby!!!!

In recent weeks, we have had unseasonably warm temperatures in the 70s that have caused everything to bloom at the same time. Allergies are driving me nuts: Runny nose, watery eyes, scratchy throat, constant post-nasal drip that makes me cough - especially during the night. I haven't felt like cooking, but we did have a little Seder dinner on Wednesday. I marinated rack of lamb in rosemary olive oil and lemon juice, and DH grilled them to perfect medium rare. We also had roasted red potatoes and asparagus. Our dinner was accompanied by a lovely Oregon Pinot Noir. We've be noshing on matzoh with smoked whitefish spread. I usually make this myself but didn't feel like it, so we got a nice smoked whitefish spread at Nino's seafood counter. I'm hoping that this allergy episode ends soon as its zapping my energy level.

allergies very bad this year- meds since mid March.... oak pollen all over. have been wearing my left over covid masks outside. that really helps.

My random purchases for the garden was a raspberry bush & sweet potato “seed potatoes”. The sweet potatoes will go way out back in the long bed. On top of the sweet potatoes, I’ll plant corn.

I put the raspberry “twig” out front in full sun. The strawberries are coming in now. They’re small but it’s their first year. I think the lizards are getting some of them.

I planted Dill & marigolds in the long green containers. Some sunflowers have sprouted!

My red potatoes are growing well but I think I have the soil too moist.

Stay tuned.
I planted raspberries in my tiny yard and they really spread. I get quite a few berries- more each year- and somehow the birds and squirrels have not come after them. one year I did get a lot of Japanese beetles attacking them and I had to go out with my gardening gloves and fight them off.

I planted raspberries in my tiny yard and they really spread. I get quite a few berries- more each year- and somehow the birds and squirrels have not come after them. one year I did get a lot of Japanese beetles attacking them and I had to go out with my gardening gloves and fight them off.
I think the lizards are getting my strawberries! A couple were about ready to pick tonight. I haven't seen anything other than lizards, even the birds haven't bothered them.

I'm wondering now if they ate one of my sunflower sprouts. I went out there at dusk and one was gone!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maria_Falc
Back