Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

My best-friend's mother was from Kentucky. They had box seats until her grandmother died.
I never had Hot Brown sandwiches at her house, but boy, could they make potent EggNog!
We are not horse racing fans, but we do clear the day to watch the Kentucky Derby!

ETA - I've never heard of Burgoo, but I looked up the recipe and it looks really tasty.
Here is an old Kentucky Burgoo recipe from
The American Regional Cookbook: Recipes from Yedterday and Today for the Modern Cook.

6 squirrels
6 chickens
6 pounds beef
lots of tomatoes
lots of corn
lots of onions
lots of peppers

The amounts and the portions of the vegetables are at the cook's discretion.

Combine all ingredients in a large kettle, covering contents with water. Cook and simmer for 24 hours.
This recipe makes about 30 serving.

We always have a problem with those roly-poly pill bugs eating our strawberries!

Could they be the culprits? We see a beautiful red ripe strawberry, but when you go to pick it, you see holes. Grrr.
I don’t see holes, just 1/2 the strawberry is chewed off. I picked some this morning and put them in my oatmeal.

Attachments

• IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4466.jpeg
    IMG_4466.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 8
The American Regional Cookbook: Recipes from Yedterday and Today for the Modern Cook.

6 squirrels
6 chickens
6 pounds beef
lots of tomatoes
lots of corn
lots of onions
lots of peppers

Combine all ingredients in a large kettle, covering contents with water. Cook and simmer for 24 hours.
Sounds good, but I think I'll leave out the Squirrel!

6 squirrels
6 chickens
6 pounds beef
lots of tomatoes
lots of corn
lots of onions
lots of peppers

Seriously, that's too much beef and not enough squirrel.

We've been eating soup because we are both sick with a respiratory virus. Doing a lot of coughing and sneezing and such. Pollen allergies may be a factor too. Maybe we'll lose a little weight on the soup diet! I made a chicken soup with rice and veggies that made two dinners and used Progresso minestrone as a quick base for another soup with sausage added to it.
I hope you're feeling better. Yesterday was the first time I've been out of the house in two weeks. Allergies are driving me nutz! People were talking about their allergy symptoms at the nail and hair salon and at Picano's where we went for dinner. Everyone says the same thing: "Everything is blooming at the same time!" Perennials that don't typically bloom until mid-to-late May have already dropped their blossoms. I'm hoping my symptoms ease soon; I'm worn out from the nighttime cough.

Even though we had grilled salmon earlier in the week, I love the sundried tomato pesto salmon at Picano's and always order it when it's a featured special. I have some leftover for lunch today along with garlicky green beans.

The old joke about Kentucky Burgoo is that you put everything that didn’t make it across the road in a big pot and cook it for a few days.
There's a restaurant in Troy (MI) that offered some gamey items on their menu when they first opened. I never went there and don't know exactly what was on the original menu, but people who went to Camp Ticonderoga wore tee shirts indicating "we ate our roadkill". The slogan was on bumper stickers, too. I checked out the menu when there was discussion here about "Burgoo", and the only "roadkill" I see is bison which isn't uncommon in Michigan. I've had buffalo burgers when we've been "up north", and it's actually pretty tasty. Camp Ticonderoga - Troy, Michigan Restaurant

I hope you're feeling better. Yesterday was the first time I've been out of the house in two weeks. Allergies are driving me nutz! People were talking about their allergy symptoms at the nail and hair salon and at Picano's where we went for dinner. Everyone says the same thing: "Everything is blooming at the same time!" Perennials that don't typically bloom until mid-to-late May have already dropped their blossoms. I'm hoping my symptoms ease soon; I'm worn out from the nighttime cough.

Even though we had grilled salmon earlier in the week, I love the sundried tomato pesto salmon at Picano's and always order it when it's a featured special. I have some leftover for lunch today along with garlicky green beans.
I'm sorry your allergies are so bad this year and you are dealing with that aggravating nighttime cough (I'm familiar with it). Does anything help with that, like a certain sleeping position?

The Picano's salmon dish sounds delicious. Maybe I'll suggest our local Italian place try something like that--I'd order it!

I'm sorry your allergies are so bad this year and you are dealing with that aggravating nighttime cough (I'm familiar with it). Does anything help with that, like a certain sleeping position?

The Picano's salmon dish sounds delicious. Maybe I'll suggest our local Italian place try something like that--I'd order it!
I've tried using two pillows but that doesn't seem to help and makes my neck sore. I keep plenty of Kleenex in my night table so I can blow my nose when I feel post-nasal drainage and Jolly Ranchers help ease the tickle in my throat. The hard candies actually work better than cough drops or lozenges because those tend to cause mouth/throat dryness.

I don't know if I'd like the sundried tomato pesto on sockeye or Copper River salmon that both have a deep, rich flavor, but the slightly sweet and tangy coating is perfect with very mild Atlantic salmon.

You all probably already know this, but thought I’d post anyway just in case.
Snipped: More at Link above.

It's best to store celery in a crisper drawer in the fridge where it can last up to two weeks,” says Prest. “You will want to remove the plastic wrapping before storing it and wrap it in a sheet of foil before placing it in the fridge.”
The foil helps the celery stalks maintain moisture. If you have the time and want to put in more effort on the food preservation front, there’s also a more elaborate way to keep celery fresh that involves a bit of prep.

“For best results, keep celery in the fridge for longer by pre-cutting it and placing it vertically in a shallow amount of water,” says Caroline Thomason, RD CDCES, a Northern Virginia-based dietitian. “The stalks will soak up the added water and stay fresh

Has anyone tried this microwave method for poaching eggs?
I’m looking forward to trying it as it sounds so quick and easy.

LOVE this!! Poached eggs is like one of my favorite things to eat, but they're messy to cook. Also thanks on the celery tip, I always leave it in the plastic.

I've never tried a microwaved poached egg but have been making scrambled or "fried" eggs in the microwave for years. I use a fruit bowl that renders an egg that fits perfectly on an English muffin. If I want a "scrambled" egg, I whisk the egg with salt and pepper then nuke for 33 seconds on high. For a "fried" egg, I crack the egg into the small bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and nuke for 33 seconds on high. In both cases, I cover the bowl with paper towel to prevent spatter.

I was out watering this morning & found 2 strawberries ready!

I washed up the Roma tomatoes. The plants are hanging on in this heat. I’ve been watering them almost daily.

Attachments

• IMG_4522.jpeg
    IMG_4522.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4523.jpeg
    IMG_4523.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4524.jpeg
    IMG_4524.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4525.jpeg
    IMG_4525.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 4
I've never tried a microwaved poached egg but have been making scrambled or "fried" eggs in the microwave for years. I use a fruit bowl that renders an egg that fits perfectly on an English muffin. If I want a "scrambled" egg, I whisk the egg with salt and pepper then nuke for 33 seconds on high. For a "fried" egg, I crack the egg into the small bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and nuke for 33 seconds on high. In both cases, I cover the bowl with paper towel to prevent spatter.
I’ve done the scrambled eggs, also in a small fruit bowl, but not the fried. I spray it with olive oil spray to prevent sticking. I’ll have to try the fried soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePoloBear
Back