Found Deceased France - Émile S., 2, outside grandparent’s house, Le Vernet, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, 8 July 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Investigators are now at other options, with one emergency services source saying: ‘Émile was always chasing butterflies, and could have got a long way away, before hiding somewhere for a nap.’

Marc Chappuis, the officer in charge of the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Marc Chappuis, told a press conference today: ‘Émile was able to walk quite a distance but, all the hunts we have done for the past two days should have allowed us to locate him.’

Public prosecutor Rémy Avon added: ‘All the hypotheses remain valid, none is favoured or excluded.’

I'd like to think that if there had been an accident, a driver wouldn't hide the body and say nothing. It would be almost impossible for a tractor driver to spot a tiny boy, so wouldn't be their fault ams even a car driver may not spot him either.

I think little Emile has wandered until he got tired, or dehydrated and stopped somewhere and fallen asleep, and maybe unconscious :(.

I still hope they find him alive, we have seen it here before, hopefully this will be one of those times too.

It seems they are focusing on some type of geofencing / phone data today.

Émile was staying with his maternal grandparents. Not sure how many other relatives were there at the time, but it is a large family: Émile's mother is one of 10 siblings. The home is the family's vacation home. The hamlet only has about 25 permanent residents. The village nearby (2 km away) has 125 residents. Most homes in the hamlet have been searched.

Phone data search will focus on the area at the time Émile was last seen (by two neighbors), around 5:15 p.m. on July 8th:

<moo>

Last edited:
It seems they are focusing on some type of geofencing / phone data today.

Émile was staying with his maternal grandparents. Not sure how many other relatives were there at the time, but it is a large family: Émile's mother is one of 10 siblings. The home is the family's vacation home. The hamlet only has about 25 permanent residents. The village nearby (2 km away) has 125 residents. Most homes in the hamlet have been searched.

Phone data search will focus on the area at the time Émile was last seen (by two neighbors), around 5:15 p.m. on July 8th:

<moo>
Bolded by me above. I wonder why only "most homes" have been searched? Perhaps some are currently empty (residents on vacation)? Hopefully they were able to determine if that's the case that there's no way he could have gotten inside any of them.

I didn't watch all the video links, have they said if there's a water source (stream, pond, river, lake) nearby? So many times when the littles go missing that's where they are :(
"The terrain in the search zone is hilly and craggy with many streams, and the region has been hit by a heatwave, with temperatures forecast to reach 34 degrees Celsius (93 Fahrenheit) on Tuesday."

Bolded by me above. I wonder why only "most homes" have been searched? Perhaps some are currently empty (residents on vacation)? Hopefully they were able to determine if that's the case that there's no way he could have gotten inside any of them.
I think two of the homes were empty.

<moo>

"Several witnesses had been questioned, and all houses in the hamlet searched, except for two that are uninhabited, he said."

I know they have said he can walk quite a distance, but would he? He is only little, would he just keep walking when he realised he was alone?, if he tried to turn back towards his grandparents I wonder how far he could have got, how turned around?.

They must have noticed him gone pretty quickly.

Not sure how many other relatives were there at the time,

Two teenagers aged 14 and 16 respectively, according to FR3:

Émile was vacationing with the grandparents for a week or two. There were other kids there aged between 14 and 16.

The grandparents woke Émile up from his nap at 5 p.m., then went to load the car to go on some type of excursion with him. When they went to find Émile to take him along, 15 minutes after waking him up from his nap, they noticed he was no longer there.

<moo>

"Quand ils ont voulu prendre Émile pour l'emmener, un quart d'heure après l'avoir réveillé de sa sieste, ils ont remarqué qu'il n'était plus là"

Last edited:
I think two of the homes were empty.

<moo>

"Several witnesses had been questioned, and all houses in the hamlet searched, except for two that are uninhabited, he said."

I would still like to hear that the two uninhabited houses have also been searched. JMO

Why have police been so adamant from the outset that he could not have been abducted? Is that based on hard intelligence about comings and goings in the area, or just a general sense that it's a small community/couldn't happen here? Does anyone know?

With them having searched such a large area, the technology at their disposal and the palpable sense of mystification the police seem to feel about him not having been found - and on the other hand the fact that he hasn't been found - surely it has to be a reasonable hypothesis now?

Especially if the area is unsurveilled enough that the removal of his body from sight after a hypothetical road collision is a working theory, it follows imo that his abduction while still alive could also have taken place without being sighted.

MOO

sniffer dogs would have likely found a body by now.

I am going to disagree with their belief that if he's out there, the dogs would have found him. I can't recall a case yet where the dogs located the missing person.
Maybe it happens, but I can't think of one.
Sorry dogs.

I think the two most likely scenarios are that he's still within the search zone hiding or he went farther than they think he could.

The Noah C. case had a tragic outcome, but it wasn't anyone's fault. He just went farther than they thought he could and fell asleep. LE was making some final checks on properties when they found him.

I believe they need to search even farther out in this case, but I am not blaming them if they can't. You can't search everywhere; that's why these cases are so awful.

The hamlet of 25 residents is on lockdown. As of Tuesday, the 30 structures that make up the hamlet have been searched; 25 people have been interviewed; 12 vehicles have been visited; and 12 hectares (about 30 acres?) have been searched.

<moo>

«Les 30 bâtiments qui composent le hameau ont été totalement visités, 25 personnes ont été entendues, 12 véhicules visités et 12 hectares ratissés», a-t-il énuméré.

The hamlet of 25 residents is on lockdown. As of Tuesday, the 30 structures that make up the hamlet have been searched; 25 people have been interviewed; 12 vehicles have been visited; and 12 hectares (about 30 acres?) have been searched.

<moo>

«Les 30 bâtiments qui composent le hameau ont été totalement visités, 25 personnes ont été entendues, 12 véhicules visités et 12 hectares ratissés», a-t-il énuméré.

Gosh, 30 acres is not much land whatsoever. I hope that article is completely incorrect about that statement! An acre is approx 208' x 208', and as you said above, a hectare is about 2.5 x the size of an acre.

<moo>

I opened the article above and let Google translate it. Google uses the term "raked" for "searched" so I'm hoping they literally meant that 12 hectares have been raked, as in perhaps 12 hectares of land in that area is currently full of very high, dense growth, like hay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ATLSooner