Found Deceased France - Émile S., 2, outside grandparent’s house, Le Vernet, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, 8 July 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
His parents weren't in the area when he went missing, and that's not in dispute.

His other relatives seem to be cooperating fully with law enforcement.

I think they must all be still in complete despair. Not everyone wants to have their worst time of their lives captured on video or even written words, to remain on the Internet for all time.

When my youngest son was the same age as Emile, I left the children at home with their dad, while I walked to the shops one day, about a mile from our house, a route which I would regularly walk with the children, with my son in his buggy. This day, their dad was working in the back garden, with the children, with the side gate open. He didn't notice our youngest son walking off through the gate with his miniature child's wheelbarrow for several minutes and then when he realised he wasn't around, he frantically searched for him. Now our son was not a walker, he hated walking, always opting to sit in the buggy whenever we went out. He eventually found him, mercifully, walking with his wheelbarrow on the route I always took to the shops, about a half way there, out of our road which had a fork in it and a bend, and around a corner into the next stretch of road. When he caught up with him he said 'where are you going?' Our son said 'I'm going to Mummy'. I couldn't actually believe that he had memorised our exact route to the shops at such a young age.

I wonder if there is a route Emile is used to walking with his family, or if someone had asked him where he was going, and he had said he was going to his mummy or daddy, if they could have offered to take him. Not that we can get answers to this.
yes, they were actually big walkers and even stated via translated poor examples of media that he could allegedly walk 10 km. i don't think that's remotely true but he would have been accustomed to long walks. You make a very good point.

Can someone point a case of a missing child where the parents/family made a concerted effort to stay anonymous, never made any appeals to the media, and weren't involved in the disappearance in some way?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm actually trying to give the family the benefit of the doubt, but man it's hard.
the searchers broadcast his mother's voice from search planes.
If he didn't hear that i'm not sure TV and media exposure will find him.
If it's a case of misadventure there's not much point.

if kidnapping is suspected it could make things worse and it would be more likely that the kidnappers would liaise directly with family if money was the motive.
No evidence of that either.

I hear you but our hands are literally tied.

Can someone point a case of a missing child where the parents/family made a concerted effort to stay anonymous, never made any appeals to the media, and weren't involved in the disappearance in some way?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm actually trying to give the family the benefit of the doubt, but man it's hard.
I cannot think of, nor find, a case where the family made this kind of effort to remain anonymous, but I do understand why they would want to, to some extent.
I imagine it will depend on the situation but most of the time parents/family members are out there shouting all over social media and are named quite early on.

They are not anonymous to the locals, but to the media (bar one or two fr outlets) and the rest of the world, they are unnamed and this could purely be a case of keeping them safe due to past issues. As well as the LE attempting to keep some form of control over what is put out about the situation.

We also have to keep in mind that the world is a very cruel place when it comes to the internet. From the moment names are given out these families will have their lives torn into and everything analysed.

I admit, it isn't hard to find them as a family member has posted about him being missing. (edit to add: it came up when I searched for Émile on socials. I didn't look for it, it popped up. What I mean is it isn't hard for people to find them should they name them officially.)
Many would screenshot the accounts and go through other family members doing the same thing before posting it everywhere. They probably don't want that to happen whilst they are trying to focus on finding Émile.

There is some precedent to this in France, the case of Grégory Villemin in 1984, a little boy who was was suspected to have been killed by multiple family members. This case remains unsolved but is extremely famous in France and is still often discussed, much like the McCann case in the UK. Grégory's immediate family were put under extraordinary pressure by the media, which ended up accusing his mother of the crime (without any evidence). By speaking to the press, they would be aware they could open a can of worms. If I were in the same position, I would only deal with LE directly.

About similar cases, there was a case in Belgium when 2 year old disappeared from the grandparents house at 5:15 pm.
In the Netherlands and Belgium it was talked a lot about similarities between Liam and Emile.

“On Friday 3 May 1996, around 5.15 pm, Liam VANDEN BRANDEN disappeared at the Zennegat in Mechelen. Since then every trace has been missing. Liam Vanden Branden was 2 years old when he disappeared.”

I don’t think the cases are connected at all but it’s just a little curious that even the time matches. What a coincidence.

There is some precedent to this in France, the case of Grégory Villemin in 1984, a little boy who was was suspected to have been killed by multiple family members. This case remains unsolved but is extremely famous in France and is still often discussed, much like the McCann case in the UK. Grégory's immediate family were put under extraordinary pressure by the media, which ended up accusing his mother of the crime (without any evidence). By speaking to the press, they would be aware they could open a can of worms. If I were in the same position, I would only deal with LE directly.
Wait, I thought some family members were actually arrested in connection to Grégory's death. An aunt and a uncle?

Ooooh yes. Obvs can't post the link on WS, but I've heard there's a very well-researched series of blog pieces about the numerous twists and turns of the case over the years by someone (ahem) on this thread.
if the blogger would shoot me a dm i'd be very interested in reading it.. i don't know how I missed that story.. it's quite bizarre, just reading Guardian links today. 1984 was not such a long time ago.

idk but there's been plenty of parents who made a concerted effort to be seen and known, made appeals to the media and in the end were involved in the disappearance/murder of their child

Just reading it now.. interesting case indeed.
There is a recent 2-part episode of the podcast Casefile that covers the Gregory Villemin case, I just finished listening to it this past week.

Part 1: Case 246: Grégory Villemin (Part 1) - Casefile: True Crime Podcast
Part 2: Case 246: Gregory Villemin (Part 2) - Casefile: True Crime Podcast

There's a thread for him here:

if the blogger would shoot me a dm i'd be very interested in reading it.. i don't know how I missed that story.. it's quite bizarre, just reading Guardian links today. 1984 was not such a long time ago.

I’ve watched a documentary called “Who killed Little Grégory?” on Netflix some time ago.

It was chilling, particularly as it contained much genuine footage taken throughout the investigation, with all its twists & turns.

The press descended on the village in droves. The family & everyone involved were hounded throughout.
The lack of respect shown at the little boy’s funeral was disgusting & had me in tears for the family.
Definitely worth a watch if you can find it, perhaps on YouTube if not Netflix.

Having seen it I can fully understand why the French police have taken the measures they have in Èmile’s case!

that doesn't make any sense
why would the public care if the teenagers were bickering amongst themselves before Emile went missing?
that has nothing to do Emile going missing so why would they publish that?
The behavior of the people who last saw the child, during the time he went missing, is certainly relevant.

The behavior of the people who last saw the child, during the time he went missing, is certainly relevant.
I agree - if everyone is distracted, busy packing, cleaning and others bickering it makes it unclear how long he was missing for. It's important to the timeline but doesn't mean they were involved in his disappearance. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member