France France - Yassin Jouali, 17, Canadian, on vacation, trail running with friends, Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, 12 Jul 2022

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
An Ottawa teenager on a summer vacation to France has been missing for five days in the French Alps, according to rescue officials.

Authorities in France say Yassin Jouali, 17, was last seen on July 12 while on a mountain trail with friends Chamonix-Mont-Blanc region of France, a resort area near the junction of France, Switzerland and Italy.

Commander André-Vianney Espinasse, of the Gendarmerie de Haute Montagne (PGHM) Peloton in Chamonix says Jouali was trail running when he was last seen. His friends reported him missing late last Tuesday night.

yassin-jouali-1-5991182-1658087493235.png

More at Ottawa teenager missing in the French Alps

Yassin Jouali, 17, left with three friends on a nature walk towards Montenvers, above Chamonix, France, at about 5 p.m. last Tuesday.

He became separated from his friends on the trail, a popular day hike route, and was reported missing later that same evening.

Friends of the Jouali family say he was last seen at 8 p.m. by another hiker.

Yassin Jouali, 17, left with three friends on a nature walk towards Montenvers, above Chamonix, France, at about 5 p.m. last Tuesday.

He became separated from his friends on the trail, a popular day hike route, and was reported missing later that same evening.

Friends of the Jouali family say he was last seen at 8 p.m. by another hiker.

I know this area fairly well, I’ve hiked there and used to ski with my family since I was a kid. Its really vast area with many hiking routes.
Usually is fairly popular with many hikers but now with heatwave I can imagine it is more isolated (27c today).
Wonder about being seen by another hiker, did he seem lost? I would think that he would ask for help or direction if he was lost.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back