GUILTY GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #6

So if they are successful in vacating the federal charges they'd just be retried through the state. I'm a little confused.

I thought they'd had two trials and were convicted on both. The American justice system confuses me sometimes!
They are trying to vacate only the federal hate crime charges. They each also got federal kidnapping charges (20 years) and TM and GM both got federal gun charges too.

So if the state crimes stand how can Travis expect to be transferred to a federal penitentiary.
This might be a reference to a past plea bargain effort by the perpertrators:

- I"ll plead guilty to the federal hate crime charge. But.... I want to serve my federal sentence first, in a federal sentence.

- Once the federal sentence is complete, I"ll be transferred back to State to serve that sentence. But.... by that time, my noteriety may of declined.

Appears they're claiming pursuit of AA mistakenly due to him being a criminal, rather than because of his race.

I'm not buying it. moo

I'm not buying it. moo

You will find this interesting.

Travis's lawyer is not appealing on those grounds... That Arbery was targeted
due to him being a criminal, rather than because of his race.... Even Travis's own attorney apparently believes Travis targeted Arbery due to his race, or that it is so obvious that it can't be used for appeals.

In Travis McMichael's appeal, attorney Amy Lee Copeland didn't dispute the jury's finding that he was motivated by racism. The social media evidence included a 2018 Facebook comment Travis McMichael made on a video of Black man playing a prank on a white person. He used an expletive and a racial slur after he wrote wrote: “I’d kill that .... .”

Instead, Copeland based her appeal on legal technicalities.

Ahmaud Arbery's killers ask a US appeals court to overturn their hate crime convictions

FBI analyst Amy Vaughn testified on Wednesday that she found a digital onslaught of messages, mostly from Travis McMichael, in which he allegedly routinely used racial slurs to describe Black people and advocated violence against them.

Last edited:
You will find this interesting.

Travis's lawyer is not appealing on those grounds... That Arbery was targeted
due to him being a criminal, rather than because of his race.... Even Travis's own attorney apparently believes Travis targeted Arbery due to his race, or that it is so obvious that it can't be used for appeals.

In Travis McMichael's appeal, attorney Amy Lee Copeland didn't dispute the jury's finding that he was motivated by racism. The social media evidence included a 2018 Facebook comment Travis McMichael made on a video of Black man playing a prank on a white person. He used an expletive and a racial slur after he wrote wrote: “I’d kill that .... .”

Instead, Copeland based her appeal on legal technicalities.

Ahmaud Arbery's killers ask a US appeals court to overturn their hate crime convictions

FBI analyst Amy Vaughn testified on Wednesday that she found a digital onslaught of messages, mostly from Travis McMichael, in which he allegedly routinely used racial slurs to describe Black people and advocated violence against them.
Yeah, I'm not buying it. They didn't go after everyone who entered that home under construction, only him. And how could they have known if he had a criminal record without being LE???

Yeah, I'm not buying it. They didn't go after everyone who entered that home under construction, only him. And how could they have known if he had a criminal record without being LE???

Roddie said he did not even know anything about Arbery's history in the neighbourhood. He admitted to an investigator that when he saw a black man being chased his instinct told him it was due to theft or a shooting.

2 Cents

Last edited:

Wednesday morning attorneys for the trio asked a panel of three judges to throw out the hate crime convictions. “The race was a non-contributing role in this matter,” Greg McMichael’s attorney said.

Justice Coalition attorney Barbara Arnwine said the judges saw right through their ridiculous argument. “They did not just sit back and allow that argument to take place. They listened and they challenged it over and over and over again,” she said.

Channel 2 Action News will be looking out for the judges’ decision in a few months.

Wednesday morning attorneys for the trio asked a panel of three judges to throw out the hate crime convictions. “The race was a non-contributing role in this matter,” Greg McMichael’s attorney said.

Justice Coalition attorney Barbara Arnwine said the judges saw right through their ridiculous argument. “They did not just sit back and allow that argument to take place. They listened and they challenged it over and over and over again,” she said.

Channel 2 Action News will be looking out for the judges’ decision in a few months.
Seems kinda late to be making this argument. They should have brought it up during their trial. I think that they just don't like prison.

Roddie said he did not even know anything about Arbery's history in the neighbourhood. He admitted to an investigator that when he saw a black man being chased his instinct told him it was due to theft or a shooting.

2 Cents
So by his own admission- racial profiling, so how can they claim that the killing wasn't racially motivated???

@Seattle1 - almost a month gone by - any updates yet on their Federal appeals? TIA!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back