GA - Couple sues Hospital, Dr. Tracey St. Julian, and hospital staff for gross negligence after baby decapitated during delivery, July 2023

Snail-Overlord

Reaction score

“CLAYTON COUNTY, Ga. (WUPA) – A metro Atlanta doctor and a Clayton County hospital are facing a lawsuit after the delivery of a baby in July that went horribly wrong.

On Wednesday, attorneys representing Jessica Ross and her boyfriend, Treveon Taylor, described what happened during the delivery of the couple's son at Southern Regional Medical Centeron July 9.

<modsnip: copyright>

Absolutely horrific… My heart hurts for this couple

Last edited by a moderator:
it happens, but it is the cover up and apparent dishonesty that is so so ugly here. I imagine it is hard and sad enough to deliver a still born baby, or have a baby die in childbirth. But to pile on with the details is just too much. I'd hide under a rock I think. Why cover this up unless there is fault. So sad...

The cover up is horrifying. I suppose this happens, and the doctor was trained and worked at Walter Reed, so is no slouch. My heart breaks for baby, parents, and for all the staff involved. I think if I had been the one trying to deliver him, I could never recover from that moment. I'd go off and probably self-medicate for a good long time.

Infant Was Decapitated During Delivery, Georgia Couple’s Lawsuit Claims

According to the article, the parents of the infant were notified of his condition by the funeral home, which also notified the Office of the Medical Examiner.

[Quote from Brian Byars, Director of the Clayton County (GA) Medical Examiner's Office]:

“It’s very abnormal to be called three days later considering usually we’re called within minutes to hours of a death,” he said. “There’s nothing normal about this incident. This was a full-term baby. It was very healthy.”

That is really not forgivable on the hospital’s part. It must have been hugely traumatic for all staff, but some professional on staff should have done something.

Though I don’t know what that is. Telling the horrifying truth to the mom who just went through a physically dangerous labor, endangering her further?

Tell Dad but tell him to be strong enough not to tell Mom for a bit? Tell the grandparents?

Both parents are so young and I can’t imagine looking at them and trying to figure out the right thing to do. And of course administrators avoid these issues, but they get paid the big bucks to do this, ostensibly. Ideally, someone higher up who wasn’t directly traumatized should have consulted with a chaplain or social worker to do the right thing.

This is just too awful.

*I read about this yesterday and all I could do was drop my iPad. I sat on the bed for awhile. I finally went outside and sat in my garden..

”They were so excited about the birth of their first child,” Mr Lynch told reporters.

Doctors then allegedly tried to convince the couple the baby’s head was still attached by wrapping and propping up his body, the attorneys said.

Staff at the hospital allegedly discouraged the couple from seeking an autopsy and advised them to have the boy cremated, the lawsuit claims.

They only realised their baby had been decapitated when they took it to a funeral home, according to the suit.

Horrific and uncaring INACTION by the medical provider.

This is a horribly graphic question but did the mother not have to push out the head separately??
*I think normally, even if the baby is stillborn, the mom has to complete the birthing process. In this case, they did a c-section, so the medical staff must have already known. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Couple sues Georgia doctor for decapitating their baby during delivery

Ross went into labor the morning of July 9, and by 8:40 p.m. she was fully dilated and instructed to start pushing, but she was met with complications as the baby’s shoulder was stuck, a condition called "shoulder dystocia," the complaint stated. Ross continued to push for approximately 3 hours before Dr. St. Julian decided to perform a C-section after trying different methods by applying traction to the baby’s head.

At 12:11 a.m., the baby's body and legs were delivered through C-section, followed by the vaginal delivery of the baby's head. The complaint states that Ross and the baby's father, Treveon Isaiah Taylor, had asked for a C-section earlier, when the baby still could have survived.

Last edited:
The cover up is horrifying. I suppose this happens, and the doctor was trained and worked at Walter Reed, so is no slouch. My heart breaks for baby, parents, and for all the staff involved. I think if I had been the one trying to deliver him, I could never recover from that moment. I'd go off and probably self-medicate for a good long time.
No. Just no. This does not just happen. Something is VERY wrong here IMO

*I think normally, even if the baby is stillborn, the mom has to complete the birthing process. In this case, they did a c-section, so the medical staff must have already known. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Couple sues Georgia doctor for decapitating their baby during delivery

Ross went into labor the morning of July 9, and by 8:40 p.m. she was fully dilated and instructed to start pushing, but she was met with complications as the baby’s shoulder was stuck, a condition called "shoulder dystocia," the complaint stated. Ross continued to push for approximately 3 hours before Dr. St. Julian decided to perform a C-section after trying different methods by applying traction to the baby’s head.

At 12:11 a.m., the baby's body and legs were delivered through C-section, followed by the vaginal delivery of the baby's head. The complaint states that Ross and the baby's father, Treveon Isaiah Taylor, had asked for a C-section earlier, when the baby still could have survived.

I see... it was both a c-section followed by vaginal delivery. OMG.

Although not really related to this case, my father still has possession of his great-grandfather's decapitation hook. My great-great-grandfather was a physician in the period before and after the Late Unpleasantness (Civil War), and this instrument was used to remove the dead baby's body in two or more pieces to save the mother's life.

The decapitation hook is probably not a part of a modern obstetrician's armamentarium due to modern technology.

There is a reasonable question about whether or not a cesarean section was required prior to this incident. It sounds like dismemberment was later required (the mother is still alive).

We have only the plaintiff's lawyer's opinions in this case. It would be interesting to hear what was actually told to the family (at least the physician's and hospital's point of view. We will likely never know since a case of a decapitated baby will raise great sympathy among probable jurors and the case will likely settle (without regard to the facts of the case).

Although not really related to this case, my father still has possession of his great-grandfather's decapitation hook. My great-great-grandfather was a physician in the period before and after the Late Unpleasantness (Civil War), and this instrument was used to remove the dead baby's body in two or more pieces to save the mother's life.

The decapitation hook is probably not a part of a modern obstetrician's armamentarium due to modern technology.

There is a reasonable question about whether or not a cesarean section was required prior to this incident. It sounds like dismemberment was later required (the mother is still alive).

We have only the plaintiff's lawyer's opinions in this case. It would be interesting to hear what was actually told to the family (at least the physician's and hospital's point of view. We will likely never know since a case of a decapitated baby will raise great sympathy among probable jurors and the case will likely settle (without regard to the facts of the case).
I would like to hear all the facts in the case, both sides of the story, not just the plaintiff’s lawyer’s side.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanmark
Back