GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so sad.. I hope they find this little girl.. I wonder why the other two children were removed so quickly from the home by dcfs?

Canton mother begs for missing 7-year-old daughter's safe return

CANTON, GA (CBS ATLANTA) -

A tearful mother made a plea for her daughter's safe return. Joselin Rivera said she had no idea where 7-year-old daughter Jorely could be.

{snip}

"They don't pay attention to their kids very well. This little girl runs around all over the place so anyone could have made friends with her," (neighbor's name removed)

Police said Rivera's two other young children have been taken into DFACS custody because they weren't being watched properly.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/16178331/canton-police

Local news broadcast repeated what was in the link above.

WSBTV local news broadcast...

(I can't believe they talk about Herman Cain first)

mother pleas for Jorely's return
search on ground w/k9s and in air with helicopters
Jorely left to get drinks for friends
she was being watched by teenager while mother slept
LE all but ruled out sex offenders
father here from Puerto Rico
mother cooperating
LE will be meeting with Jorely's friends
DFACS have other children in protective custody as part of procedure in a case like this

Seems like there's some conflicting information.

Fox 5 News local broadcast...

(Of course they talk about Herman Cain first too... sigh)

LE says it's like the 7 year old just vanished
only information they have to go on is that she was abducted
kids/adults who were there were questioned
mother describes her as friendly, sweet, lots of friends, everyone loves her

All other information was same as what's already been reported.

Again I have to ask if the babysitter had a boyfriend and if he was around when J went missing. And how old is he? If he exists. This possibility keeps coming back to me. :(

I just caught this on our local news WXIA 11pm news...

mother speaking through translator
says lots of kids out there playing, why her (Jorely)
asks for whoever has her to bring her back
father there from Miami(?)
DFCS removed other kids from home as part of procedure
LE believes abduction, not a single lead, searches all around area since last night

station is running a ticker at the bottom of the screen for Jorely

When the football games are over, I'll see if can catch any other local news reports.

Just catching up. After reading the mom was sleeping, the teenage caregiver lived in the home and that other children were removed from the home, the obvious question is was Jorely at school Friday?

Another one we have to question the last time seen. :banghead:

WSBTV local news broadcast...

(I can't believe they talk about Herman Cain first)

mother pleas for Jorely's return
search on ground w/k9s and in air with helicopters
Jorely left to get drinks for friends
she was being watched by teenager while mother slept
LE all but ruled out sex offenders
father here from Puerto Rico
mother cooperating
LE will be meeting with Jorely's friends
DFACS have other children in protective custody as part of procedure in a case like this

Seems like there's some conflicting information.

yeah i thought the mother was out of town and the babysitter was the one who left to get drinks :waitasec:

yeah i thought the mother was out of town and the babysitter was the one who left to get drinks :waitasec:

That's what I thought too. So much conflicting information. Hopefully we get clear facts soon.

How old is the teen babysitter? Teenager as in 13 or 17? Apparently she was responsible for a 1 yr old, a 4 yr old and a 7 yr old. That is quite a responsibility for one babysitter.

Ugh, just saw this on the local news. A little too close to home. Canton's in my county.

Two things that struck me were that the apartment complex lists a jogging trail as an amenity, although it doesn't sound like it's too woody around the complex. Also, there appears to be a bus stop right out front of the complex.

But if things are as that neighbor reported, that J was never being watched well, and ran around pretty freely, my gut says it's more likely it was someone who knew this and watched her, and waited for a good opportunity. And the apartment complex is 'gated'. That's not to say it's impervious to strangers, but it sure would be easier to get in and out real quick with your 'bounty' if you were a resident or friends with a resident, or were a person who worked for or with (contractors/maintainance/landscaping, etc) the complex.

A side note on the playing at 5-5:30 ... around here, sun is setting at 5:30 and fully dark at 6. But there might be a street light there next to the playground. I'm just wondering if conditions were such in J's apartment that it was more pleasant (from the sitter's perspective)to be outside with the kids than inside the apartment. Or if mom was in there sleeping, if the sitter was told to keep the kids outside so mom could have her peace and quiet. :waitasec:

Beautiful young seven-year-old girl....missing since yesterday....no clues. I hope she is safe and has been found unharmed. The odds are not good, not good at all.

Investigators were also working with school officials to compile a list of family and friends the girl knows.

Jorely was last seen wearing a pink shirt, blue jeans and black boots. Police do not believe she would have access to a change of clothes on her own.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/0...ear-old-may-have-been-abducted/#ixzz1fXvJhc9O
Don't think I have ever seen LE work with school officials to determine who friends and family are? Why wouldn't her Mother supply this information? Maybe it's just the way the reporter worded the sentence or that Mom doesn't speak fluent english?

BBM- What the heck does that mean?

Thought this was interesting--hope it's okay to post.

These are apartment complex reviews for River Ridge. I see that it's pretty easy to get into, security-wise ... and that some people wish they'd read the reviews before signing a lease as there seems to be lots o' criminal activity going on there. Perhaps not as savory a community as it appears in the picture.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/GA-Canton-River-Ridge-at-Canton.html

ETA: Apartment ratings sex offender proximity map. 11 in a one mile radius?

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/GA-Canton-River-Ridge-at-Canton-Safety.html

I'm also wondering about the lighting at the playground at 5pm. It's dark out now by 5pm. Unless the playground is well lit and surrounded by common area street lights or the lights in the parking lot, it seems awfully late for a baby sitter to still have the kids playing at a playground at 5pm this time of year.

But I do know some apartment complexes are well lit and there may have been enough light for the kids to still play that late. Especially with the playgrounds proximity to what looks like the parking area for the apartment complex.

I live in East Tx and it doesn't get dark here until around 6:00. I do agree that if there were other kids in the playground, someone had to have seen her.
Such a pretty little girl... I hope she is found safe. It seems like another child goes missing every day... and that's just the ones that are reported on here.

Tips but no solid leads in search for missing girl, 7

{snip}
"We don't think the child's mother had anything to do with her disappearance at this point," Det. Worthy wrote in an e-mail.

(referring to children taken into DFACS custody) "We just think that she was not supervising well enough to keep all of the children safe," Det. Worthy wrote.

She was in the care of a babysitter when she went back to her apartment to get a drink for her and some other children, Det. Worthy said.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/215763/3/Tips-but-no-solid-leads-in-search-for-missing-girl-7

The article also states:
- lots of tips but no leads
- working to rule out all sex offenders in area
- father lives in Florida
- no witnesses have come forward so no Levi's call issued, no description of person or vehicle
- Jorelys is 4 feet tall, 80 pounds

The article also has a video of the mother speaking through an interpreter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member