GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest with you Suzanne, after following crime avidly for years and years (odd hobby I know, I hear it from my family :)) And having met and known a murderer through aquaintence I can't, personally, observe someone and tell what kind of person they are or whether or not they are capable.

I watched the clip above of him in court where he is biting his lip and looking around and my thought on that is ---if I was arrested and did my perp walk with LE standing at guard with live ammo until I got into the squad car, and had to wear a bullet proof vest while sitting in court.

I would be watching my back and be very nervous too.

But that's just the way I'm looking at things. I can't tell if this young man is guilty or not. I want to hear the evidence against him before I decide. JMHO

I think he's just "bored" again.

BBM.

ITA. I think they are basing their hunch on 1) he lied about his alibi and asked others to lie for him, 2) he had opportunity and access, and 3) he recently mentioned the vacant apartments which just so happen to turn into the crime scene.

I find myself really torn on this one. It could be bad luck (in the wrong place at the wrong time), or a naive kid being set up as scapegoat. He just seems too nervous to be the killer, not enough of a hard edge. But so far the evidence doesn't look good for RB. We'll have to wait and see what tale the forensics tell us.

At some point the DNA from the sexual assault will come back from the lab. At that point we will have the answers, imo. I do not think anyone could have set him up like that unless they were CIA operative types.

His mother lives in Dahlonega. But there was someone with her name in the DC Metro area (including Virginia) from 1994-2002. I found it on ancestry.com - and *believe* it is her. The dad and stepmom are still in Virginia.

Hope this helps!

SPB's girlfriend lives in Va, and he has a couple of friends up there. She is in Hillsville. Seems like they still have a connection to Va.....

BBM

I don't think they can arrest anyone exclusively on tips. I'm pretty sure they had to have some sort of evidence to show the DA and the judge. :waitasec:

I think they started watching him closely based on the tips. :seeya:

The article I provided the link to said he was arrested on tips provided by the residents.

Apparently we have access to the search warrants because of the Sunshine Law but I haven't read them. Have they been posted?

BBM.

ITA. I think they are basing their hunch on 1) he lied about his alibi and asked others to lie for him, 2) he had opportunity and access, and 3) he recently mentioned the vacant apartments which just so happen to turn into the crime scene.

I find myself really torn on this one. It could be bad luck (in the wrong place at the wrong time), or a naive kid being set up as scapegoat. He just seems too nervous to be the killer, not enough of a hard edge. But so far the evidence doesn't look good for RB. We'll have to wait and see what tale the forensics tell us.

I thought the same thing about S. McDaniel, Lauren Gidding's alleged killer. He did the same kind of thing..inserted himself into the investigation, appeared all demure and whatnot (Lauren was dismembered).

It was announced today that the prosecution is seeking the death penalty (which I guess in GA is pretty rare).

Here's the thread about Lauren. This link is to thread number one. There are 12 of them, so it's a long, long, long read: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142747

At some point the DNA from the sexual assault will come back from the lab. At that point we will have the answers, imo. I do not think anyone could have set him up like that unless they were CIA operative types.

Yes. I agree. The forensics will provide the answers.

I was just thinking that it's either really really stupid or too much of a coincidence for RB to have recently mentioned the vacant apartments and harming a child. I don't know why but that's really bugging me.

"One resident said she told investigators about a recent conversation she had with Brunn, who mentioned that someone could break into one of the many vacant apartments in the complex and harm a child."

In re of his not finishing high school. Some of the wisest people I have ever known didn't finish high school. Just my experience.

Also some of the most conniving ruthless people I have met were college educated.

To me, and this is just my opinion, formal education isn't a factor in being able to commit a crime.

And unfortunately neither is age or gender. So yes I admit when I heard that this guy was only 20 and had a look at how clean cut he was, it stunned me at first. But, I sat and thought about it last night and if indeed he is found to be guilty and sentenced I am very grateful because his youth and appearance could have been used to his benefit by him and he would probably have offended for a very long time on those factors.

He may have already been an offender in the past, just hadn't been caught yet. I dunno? All JMHO but I don't spend time trying to figure out why an offender does what they do, I've never been able to make rhyme or reason out of their actions. All JMHO

Can someone please point me in the direction of the article stating friends were asked to provide an alibi but then admitted they had lied for him? I can't find this anywhere.

Ryan's appointed attorney David Cannon is actually a very good attorney who has been practicing law for a long time. He's probably one of the best in the county.

Yes. I agree. The forensics will provide the answers.

I was just thinking that it's either really really stupid or too much of a coincidence for RB to have recently mentioned the vacant apartments and harming a child. I don't know why but that's really bugging me.

"One resident said she told investigators about a recent conversation she had with Brunn, who mentioned that someone could break into one of the many vacant apartments in the complex and harm a child."

I hope they are not basing too much of their beliefs about his guilt upon that statement. I think anyone might say that when looking for a missing kid. I would say that if I knew there were vacant apartments all over the complex too. That alone does not make him guilty of murder. Neither does the lying about the alibi. Again, it was stupid and immature, but he may be stupid and immature, but not a killer. It was a silly comment he made to a neighbor when he told her he was afraid of LE looking in his apt. because he had beer in there and he is underage. That seems so silly because obviously homicide detectives have no interest in a 20 yr old drinking beer at home. So was he lying when he said that, or just kind of stupid?

I hope they have more than just the fact he had a key to the compactor. Anyone could have put her in there, key or no key. And how many other people had access to the vacant apartments? I hope they have all been vetted.

I really hope they have fingerprints, or blood evidence or bloody clothing or eyewitnesses to his being at the vacant apt. that afternoon----something solid.

Has anyone seen an article or heard a report of why a no plea was given at this time?

TIA!

I listened to Mike Brook who was sitting directly behind Ryan in the courtroom and he didn't say the Judge asked Ryan to enter a plea and he refused. He said the judge read the charges against him and asked him if he was satisfied with his counsellors.

None of the media reports I read so far said Ryan refused to enter a plea and AFAIK the accused isn't asked by the Judge to enter a plea until the arraignment which comes after the initial court hearing.

Ryan's appointed attorney David Cannon is actually a very good attorney who has been practicing law for a long time. He's probably one of the best in the county.

I agree about David Cannon but I thought that Daran Burns was representing him.....

ITA...The DNA they find on her body should tell the truth. I just hope we find out soon. The Georgia Crime Lab can be unbelievabley slow sometimes. Maybe since this is a Murder case, it will be moved to the head of the line.

My county is Bartow, and if I'm not mistaken, we are in the same judicial system as Canton, which is the Cherokee Judicial System. If so, it is possible that it may be one of "our" judges. It should be in today's paper.

I hope they are not basing too much of their beliefs about his guilt upon that statement. I think anyone might say that when looking for a missing kid. I would say that if I knew there were vacant apartments all over the complex too. That alone does not make him guilty of murder. Neither does the lying about the alibi. Again, it was stupid and immature, but he may be stupid and immature, but not a killer. It was a silly comment he made to a neighbor when he told her he was afraid of LE looking in his apt. because he had beer in there and he is underage. That seems so silly because obviously homicide detectives have no interest in a 20 yr old drinking beer at home. So was he lying when he said that, or just kind of stupid?

I hope they have more than just the fact he had a key to the compactor. Anyone could have put her in there, key or no key. And how many other people had access to the vacant apartments? I hope they have all been vetted.

I really hope they have fingerprints, or blood evidence or bloody clothing or eyewitnesses to his being at the vacant apt. that afternoon----something solid.

The GBI and Cherokee County are involved. Don't think for a minute they would arrest him based solely on that info. JMIO, living here in Georgia.

ETA - the City of Canton I would believe as they have been known to make questionable arrests in the past. My experience in the past with a friend.....victim of a multi-witnessed assault with a deadly weapon (vehicle) in a grocery store parking lot...arrested for disorderly conduct for cussing at the perp before the assault.

I listened to Mike Brook who was sitting directly behind Ryan in the courtroom and he didn't say Ryan chose not to enter a plea.

None of the media reports I read so far said Ryan refused to enter a plea and AFAIK the accused doesn't enter a plea until the arraignment which comes after the initial court hearing.

Is there a link which states Ryan was asked to plea and refused?

That post was where I was still trying to figure out what happened today (but you posted a really good link and so did ColdPizza that helped me to figure out)

Today was the reading of the warrants. So no plea needed. It was discussed quite a few pages back that other members were wondering about him appearing in court and not entering a plea. Not the time for a plea yet.

:)

Most parents who homeschool do it for reasons that could range from wanting to be more involved, knowing they can do a better job than the public school, religious reasons, etc.

I have known of one family who homeschooled ONE of their 4 children because he just couldn't stay out of trouble in the public school and it was that or Crossroads. (the school for the kids who can't stay out of trouble, which, according to other kids, is a scary proposition.)

Not saying that's the case here, but just a thought.

I thought of that, too. I homeschool my own kids, not for behavioral issues, so I certainly don't want to stigmatize homeschooled kids as having problems. But it is true that SOME families choose homeschooling as the best way to deal with emotionally troubled kids. Putting it together with the stay out of state caused me to wonder.

I think he's just "bored" again.

I read his FB page before it was shut down, and he seemed to have a lot of time on his hands. Enough time to premeditate the kidnapping, rape, and murder of a young girl.

I am anxious to find out what LE found on his computer. What kind of searches did he conduct and what sites did he frequent.

Because J's mouth was duct-taped, her hands and feet bound with plastic ties, that tells me a LOT of thinking went on. My guess is he probably wore gloves too.

I hope we'll hear more about what kind of evidence they found to arrest this guy soon.

Mel

ITA...The DNA they find on her body should tell the truth. I just hope we find out soon. The Georgia Crime Lab can be unbelievabley slow sometimes. Maybe since this is a Murder case, it will be moved to the head of the line.

My county is Bartow
, and if I'm not mistaken, we are in the same judicial system as Canton, which is the Cherokee Judicial System. If so, it is possible that it may be one of "our" judges. It should be in today's paper.

:seeya: Hi neighbor! I have been called to jury duty here several times. I think I am correct that they only hold court 4 times a year. Almost ALL the cases have always settled out of court. LUCKILY I never got called for a murder case! I know so many people in the system that I'd never be chosen anyway... MOO

I wonder how it works in Cherokee county. Are murder cases tried on a separate calendar? This could take a REALLY LONG TIME!

I agree about David Cannon but I thought that Daran Burns was representing him.....

For some reason he has two court appointed attorneys and it is David Cannon and Daran Burns. David was speaking to the Judge toward the end of the hearing. Maybe it's because he had two charges I'm not sure but all I can say is he has great representation so he can never claim he did not have good attorneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125