GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question. Does anyone remember if LE ever issued Bolo for anyone who suddenly had injuries to their extremities or bandages? I'm thinking Bowie got at least one good locking bite in.

Question. Does anyone remember if LE ever issued Bolo for anyone who suddenly had injuries to their extremities or bandages? I'm thinking Bowie got at least one good locking bite in.
Not really an official BOLO, but Deputy Chief Hampton did mention the following in the Aug. 3rd press conference w/Mayor Lance-Bottoms
"Atlanta Deputy Police Chief Charles Hampton was adamant regarding his confidence in his investigators. He said investigators are following up on leads pertinent to the case, including someone with unexplained injuries, attraction to the case in the media, or a possible change in appearance."

Atlanta tackling two health crises: COVID-19 and crime

I’ve never been to the park so I was looking at it on Google Earth yesterday. The first picture I ever saw of the park was of the entrance near where Katie and Bowie were found. Just based on the limited picture that I saw, I thought that the entire park was surrounded by a stone wall or some kind of fencing. I was really surprised when I did Street view and saw that you can basically just walk into the park anywhere, or at least that’s how it seems. So when we are talking about a potential perpetrator going in and out of an entrance, I am almost like, it would be less risky to just walk off the trail because you’d be less likely to encounter another person there.

I was also surprised that if you are in the street, your view into the park does not seem to be completely obstructed.

You are correct. There is no barrier on the 10th Street side between the sidewalk and the park. You can freely walk in and out at numerous points and see into the park easily. The Charles Allen gate is more of a monument than an entrance. I mean, it is an entrance but you can walk in and out all along 10th Street. I’ve long wondered where Katie went into the park. There’s an entrance on 10th across from Argonne where I’ve always assumed she entered but no one’s ever spoken to that. She could have gone in anywhere on 10th.
I’ve never been to the park so I was looking at it on Google Earth yesterday. The first picture I ever saw of the park was of the entrance near where Katie and Bowie were found. Just based on the limited picture that I saw, I thought that the entire park was surrounded by a stone wall or some kind of fencing. I was really surprised when I did Street view and saw that you can basically just walk into the park anywhere, or at least that’s how it seems. So when we are talking about a potential perpetrator going in and out of an entrance, I am almost like, it would be less risky to just walk off the trail because you’d be less likely to encounter another person there.

I was also surprised that if you are in the street, your view into the park does not seem to be completely obstructed.

You are correct. There is no barrier on the 10th Street side between the sidewalk and the park. You can freely walk in and out at numerous points and see into the park easily. The Charles Allen gate is more of a monument than an entrance. I mean, it is an entrance but you can walk in and out all along 10th Street. I’ve long wondered where Katie went into the park. There’s an entrance on 10th across from Argonne where I’ve always assumed she entered but no one’s ever spoken to that. She could have gone in anywhere on 10th.
I am so glad to have another Atlanta native here!

I would agree that entering off of 10th somewhere near Argonne would seem the easiest. But she could have gone up Piedmont and entered at a couple of places there without being caught on camera I believe. I believe Police said that the image of Katie crossing the rainbow crosswalk is the last known image of her, so she apparently did not enter through Charles Allen. Although I wonder if perhaps she wasn't about to exit there when attacked.

I would agree that entering off of 10th somewhere near Argonne would seem the easiest. But she could have gone up Piedmont and entered at a couple of places there without being caught on camera I believe. I believe Police said that the image of Katie crossing the rainbow crosswalk is the last known image of her, so she apparently did not enter through Charles Allen. Although I wonder if perhaps she wasn't about to exit there when attacked.

I've wondered about Charles Allen Gate being the exit, too. If she entered further to the west, she might have walked Bowie up the trail to the lake and encountered somebody there. The police were focused on the lake but that effort was probably to retrieve evidence (weapon, bloody clothes).

I've wondered about Charles Allen Gate being the exit, too. If she entered further to the west, she might have walked Bowie up the trail to the lake and encountered somebody there. The police were focused on the lake but that effort was probably to retrieve evidence (weapon, bloody clothes).

I’ve lived in Atlanta since 2007 and used to live adjacent to the park. The previous poster is correct, you can enter basically at any point along 10th street. The gate is used to allow service vehicles into the park. You can also enter through the gravel parking lot of Park Tavern at the corner of 10th & Monroe, then the unpaved/more woodsy portion of the Beltline runs north from there parallel to the park and Monroe. It’s very wooded and much less traveled than the rest of the Beltline. Some people live under a bridge north of the park. The Piedmont side is just as easily accessible and the Botanical Gardens are located at the north end of the park. A group of homeless guys generally hangs out at the SW tip of the park by 10th on benches at all hours of the day and night. There are steps that lead down to the 11th st gate at Piedmont and you can also connect with the path that takes you around the lake to the east. Park Tavern has several outdoor patios and screened in porches that overlook the meadow adjacent to the area Katie was found. I wondered why no one heard a commotion but it looks like the restaurant closes at midnight.
Hope this helps!

I’ve lived in Atlanta since 2007 and used to live adjacent to the park. The previous poster is correct, you can enter basically at any point along 10th street. The gate is used to allow service vehicles into the park. You can also enter through the gravel parking lot of Park Tavern at the corner of 10th & Monroe, then the unpaved/more woodsy portion of the Beltline runs north from there parallel to the park and Monroe. It’s very wooded and much less traveled than the rest of the Beltline. Some people live under a bridge north of the park. The Piedmont side is just as easily accessible and the Botanical Gardens are located at the north end of the park. A group of homeless guys generally hangs out at the SW tip of the park by 10th on benches at all hours of the day and night. There are steps that lead down to the 11th st gate at Piedmont and you can also connect with the path that takes you around the lake to the east. Park Tavern has several outdoor patios and screened in porches that overlook the meadow adjacent to the area Katie was found. I wondered why no one heard a commotion but it looks like the restaurant closes at midnight.
Hope this helps!
Good information, especially about the homeless in the SW of the park. I'm not it matters too much where she entered the park. It apparently wasn't caught on camera. which is too bad of course. It would be interesting to see if she was followed at all. I have a hard time seeing the killer being any of the people in the photos released by police. It is just amazing that the brutal attack could occur with no camera catching anything and no witness. I keep going back and forth, from serial killer / random, to homeless, to someone known to Katie. I just can't seem to rule anything out entirely.

This IMO was a very sexual crime - mutilation of anus, breasts and eyes. So much seems symbolic.

Eyes?? (I haven't read the autopsy and am just going by what people say here. I didn't know that her eyes were mutilated. It's unfathomable how somebody could have done something so horrible and violent and deviant and has been able to slip back away seemingly without a trace or not enough of a trace for LE to have arrested them yet.)

Eyes?? (I haven't read the autopsy and am just going by what people say here. I didn't know that her eyes were mutilated. It's unfathomable how somebody could have done something so horrible and violent and deviant and has been able to slip back away seemingly without a trace or not enough of a trace for LE to have arrested them yet.)
Re post link previously supplied by moonriverfarm, thank you.
Just finished listening to this and i am impressed with the information and delivery. Also horrified.
Brutal beyond brutal WARNING
Body Bags: Murder in Piedmont Park

Her eye lids, upper & lower & eyebrows. No injuries to her eyes or ears per ME report.

Good information, especially about the homeless in the SW of the park. I'm not it matters too much where she entered the park. It apparently wasn't caught on camera. which is too bad of course. It would be interesting to see if she was followed at all. I have a hard time seeing the killer being any of the people in the photos released by police. It is just amazing that the brutal attack could occur with no camera catching anything and no witness. I keep going back and forth, from serial killer / random, to homeless, to someone known to Katie. I just can't seem to rule anything out entirely.

I agree that none of the people from the police photos are the killer. Two of the men, camouflage hoodie and man w/ cane, exited from a side path that runs parallel to Charles Allen road (where Katie was presumably found.). It's plausible that they saw nothing in the dark, especially if they were preoccupied with their phones as many people are. The only person who went through the gate and had the best line of sight was the jogger. I wish we knew why he abruptly turned around after 30 seconds if he truly didn't see anything as it is rumored.

I agree that none of the people from the police photos are the killer. Two of the men, camouflage hoodie and man w/ cane, exited from a side path that runs parallel to Charles Allen road (where Katie was presumably found.). It's plausible that they saw nothing in the dark, especially if they were preoccupied with their phones as many people are. The only person who went through the gate and had the best line of sight was the jogger. I wish we knew why he abruptly turned around after 30 seconds if he truly didn't see anything as it is rumored.
The jogger is the one I am most interesting in hearing his story. Did he run in and quickly use the bathroom right there? Pretty quick turn around though. Or did he see a dead dog and just wanted to get out of there? If he saw the dog, that tells us the attack had already occurred by 12:46, or if there was no dog, then we know it was after. We know the police did talk to him, apparently more than once.

The guy in white I think with the cane is exiting the Piedmont/12st st exit at 12:25. That is about the soonest the attack could occur and he is on the wrong side of the park. But he could very well have seen someone else in the park. I can't seem to find the photo of the hoddie guy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member