Found Deceased GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell - Abducted & Murdered - Mom & Stepdad Charged - Augusta #2

No updates. Everything shows the same as noted in my previous post.

Wondering since the prosecutor has filed a leave of absence notice if things will be on hold awhile?
Thank you, this case is taking so long to go to court.

nothing since the

3/26/2024CONSENT ORDER TO UNSEAL RECORD
3/27/202412-18-23 HEARING TRANSCRIPT
3/28/2024ORDER (RESCINDING ORDER DATED 03/26/24)

:(
ETA not even sure if this is correct case # but it was under a murder case for leon

nothing since the

3/26/2024CONSENT ORDER TO UNSEAL RECORD
3/27/202412-18-23 HEARING TRANSCRIPT
3/28/2024ORDER (RESCINDING ORDER DATED 03/26/24)

:(
ETA not even sure if this is correct case # but it was under a murder case for leon

I know in my notes I have on 4/5/24 DA filed a leave of absence - but have no dates for "when".

It's insane, isn't it? I don't usually follow cases through court, but this one was somewhat local to family and really touched my heart. I'm learning this ridiculous delay of justice is quite
It's insane, isn't it? I don't usually follow cases through court, but this one was somewhat local to family and really touched my heart. I'm learning this ridiculous delay of justice is quite normal.
Sad to say it's my family. And that's why I'm trying to get answers

I do not believe I have seen this before!

May 24, 2024

Any murder of an innocent teen is tragic enough, but some cases surpass our nightmares and fall into the realm of the truly strange.

When LaTania “Janell” Carwell went missing with her stepfather in the early morning hours of her “sweet 16” birthday — on April 17, 2017 — an entire Georgia community turned into armchair detectives, and Augusta police pieced together clues for ten months.

Then the horrible truth came to light: Janell’s remains were found buried in a shallow grave not far from home, and her very much alive stepfather, Leon Tripp, and mother, Tanya Tripp, were the alleged culprits.
[.....]
The investigation has brought bombshell after bombshell — but none more explosive than court documents filed by prosecutors in June 2020. The Georgia District Attorney filed a motion to introduce evidence of “Solicitation of Murder” allegedly committed by Leon and Tanya, suggesting that they contacted a hitman to kill their daughter Janell on at least three separate occasions dating back to when she was just 14 years old.
[.....]
There’s no doubt the Tripps’ cases have languished for too long, thanks in part to COVID-era postponements. The long-awaited trial for the couple was set to start on March 25, 2024, but it was put on hold as the Augusta District Attorney’s office appealed a recent decision to exclude statements made by defendant Leon Tripp.
[.....]
“The DA’s Special Victims Unit is fighting for justice for Janell. Last week, the trial court ruled that statements made by Defendant Leon Tripp should be excluded from evidence. The following day, we filed an appeal of that decision to the Supreme Court of Georgia. Trial will not commence until the Supreme Court issues a ruling. Our highest priority is presenting the strongest case possible and ensuring justice for our community,” Augusta District Attorney Jared Williams said in a statement in reaction to the ruling.

The Georgia Supreme Court could take months to issue a ruling on the prosecution’s appeal, and defense attorneys for Leon and Tanya requested a bail reduction in March so their clients could return home. Their bonds reportedly are set at more than $500,000 each. Both have been jailed for seven years since their arrests.
[.....]
The judge, however, denied bond reductions for both, citing flight risk and a threat to the community. For friends and family, justice seems slow, but the Augusta DA is determined that no one will forget the bright young girl.

I do not believe I have seen this before!

May 24, 2024

Any murder of an innocent teen is tragic enough, but some cases surpass our nightmares and fall into the realm of the truly strange.

When LaTania “Janell” Carwell went missing with her stepfather in the early morning hours of her “sweet 16” birthday — on April 17, 2017 — an entire Georgia community turned into armchair detectives, and Augusta police pieced together clues for ten months.

Then the horrible truth came to light: Janell’s remains were found buried in a shallow grave not far from home, and her very much alive stepfather, Leon Tripp, and mother, Tanya Tripp, were the alleged culprits.
[.....]
The investigation has brought bombshell after bombshell — but none more explosive than court documents filed by prosecutors in June 2020. The Georgia District Attorney filed a motion to introduce evidence of “Solicitation of Murder” allegedly committed by Leon and Tanya, suggesting that they contacted a hitman to kill their daughter Janell on at least three separate occasions dating back to when she was just 14 years old.
[.....]
There’s no doubt the Tripps’ cases have languished for too long, thanks in part to COVID-era postponements. The long-awaited trial for the couple was set to start on March 25, 2024, but it was put on hold as the Augusta District Attorney’s office appealed a recent decision to exclude statements made by defendant Leon Tripp.
[.....]
“The DA’s Special Victims Unit is fighting for justice for Janell. Last week, the trial court ruled that statements made by Defendant Leon Tripp should be excluded from evidence. The following day, we filed an appeal of that decision to the Supreme Court of Georgia. Trial will not commence until the Supreme Court issues a ruling. Our highest priority is presenting the strongest case possible and ensuring justice for our community,” Augusta District Attorney Jared Williams said in a statement in reaction to the ruling.

The Georgia Supreme Court could take months to issue a ruling on the prosecution’s appeal, and defense attorneys for Leon and Tanya requested a bail reduction in March so their clients could return home. Their bonds reportedly are set at more than $500,000 each. Both have been jailed for seven years since their arrests.
[.....]
The judge, however, denied bond reductions for both, citing flight risk and a threat to the community. For friends and family, justice seems slow, but the Augusta DA is determined that no one will forget the bright young girl.

Thank you for finding and posting this! It helps explain so much and gives me hope there will eventually be justice for Janell.

Any updates on when court will start back

from my post #112 - we are waiting for a Supreme Court decision....

from my post #112 - we are waiting for a Supreme Court decision....

Thanks, they are taking so long.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevi4200
Back