GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read up some on the case referenced in this post the first time AgentFrank mentioned it to us, a few pages back.

See http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154808&page=20 for the earlier discussion, including some links that will help delve into the story, if you're interested.

I don't pretend to have become an expert on that case or to have any inside information on it -- nor do I have any particular leaning for or against Judge Brown in Lauren's case -- BUT, fact is, the earlier case wasn't a rape case. Apparently, no criminal charges of rape were brought.

It was a civil suit charging sexual battery. There are differing reports, too, of what the judge actually did in regard to referencing the plaintiff's sexual past. And, if I remember correctly, the Georgia Court of Appeals refused to hear her case.

If you look into the story, you can see why some charge that politics/money was behind the accused's "getting away with things" ... while others say money was the motive from the other side. Deep and sticky waters here ... and I don't know the "truth".

You are correct Backwoods, I guess I was using revisionist thinking. I still think what Brown did was deplorable on the face of it, but I obviously don't know the truth either Thanks

Looks like the last article to which I posted a link -- about Friday's hearing -- has been updated a couple of times since ... and I'm pretty sure this section (along with others) has been added in the updating:

... During Friday’s half-hour hearing, a Bibb public defender sat beside two members of Lauren Giddings’ family. At least one other public defender was in the courtroom wearing a pink ribbon on his lapel. Giddings worked as a law clerk at the Bibb County Public Defender’s Office from June 2010 until she graduated from Mercer’s law school last May.
read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/03/23/1958560/judge-brown-to-stay-on-mcdaniel.html

SouthernKate, there are several murder cases in the middle Georgia area right now that I think will take some of the media spotlight off Lauren's case -- the one in which a young man was apparently lured to a drug deal and then killed, the one in which a probation officer is charged with the murder of his girlfriend, and, most notably, the one you posted about.

(I know your post wasn't about media coverage specifically, just jumping off from there.)

I am hoping The Telegraph and other outlets won't forget to keep checking for any report of results/identity on the partial skeletal remains found in Macon recently. Seems like they would know something by now...? But we aren't hearing it. (Even if the remains are not Lauren's, there are missing persons cases in the area that they could relate to.)

Do any of you who regularly use the online databases for unidentified remains found, etc., know if a report of those remains has been posted anywhere?
Nothing in NamUs, but I wouldn't expect to see anything this soon, anyway.

Here's a link to a murder investigation that is ongoing in Macon right now that you all might find interesting. It's one of many articles. Frank Hogue is also her attorney.

http://www.macon.com/2012/03/20/1954692/river-north-murder-suspect-in.html

She (allegedely) murdered a businessman recently. In 1997, she murdered her mother but was only convicted of involuntary manslaughter and served just 7 years. Suffice it to say, Hogue is a very good attorney and this makes me very nervous. He is definitely a huge asset to McD's defense.

Holy Mole-y! That seems to be a female serial killer... you don't see those often.

Another item on tomorrow's arraignment:

McDaniel arraignment Tuesday in Giddings case

The suspect in last summer’s slaying of Mercer University law school graduate Lauren Giddings is set to be arraigned on a murder charge Tuesday afternoon.

Stephen McDaniel’s 2 p.m. arraignment, scheduled more than a week ago, likely will be followed by a bond hearing. ...

read more at: http://www.macon.com/2012/04/02/1972316/mcdaniel-arraignment-tuesday-in.html

McDaniel is going nowhere. Judge Brown will deny bond.

And if he does get out, I am sure it would not be pretty for him. His life would probably be threatened, and he would not be able to escape the media. He should stay in his infirmary section where he is safe from the world and regular in-mates.

Can someone refresh my memory as to why they didnt bring SMD before a grand jury before 90 days were up? I'm sure it's been discussed but it's been so long that I can't remember.

Can someone refresh my memory as to why they didnt bring SMD before a grand jury before 90 days were up? I'm sure it's been discussed but it's been so long that I can't remember.

As far as I know, no reason has really been stated, MaconMom. It sure looks like they just "slipped up" on that one ... though of course maybe not, maybe there was some reasoning behind it, though I just can't imagine what.

He was indicted within 90 days on the sexual exploitation charges, but I believe it ran 115 days on the murder charge!

hearing back in session, judge has returned (for those that can't watch)

Winters -- saying Lauren's key and master key found in SM's bedroom (the location is new info for us, AFAIK)

Also confirming report that pair of LG's panties (positive for her DNA) found balled up in a drawer in SM's room

Now discussing the infamous chan posts -- MAJOR: talking about post (I didn't see this one!!??) involving "sexy neighbor" and a Mickey Finn!!! (My video stream blipped out for a few moments and I did not catch all the details given...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnceAgain