GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

McDaniel visited website about sexual arousal from seeing someone eaten:

http://www.macon.com/2014/01/10/2872227/da-mcdaniel-visited-website-about.html

Why would the GBI think this is irrelevant to the case when they first searched his hard drive?
I don't for one second believe the GBI thought it was irrelevant. They might have run into obstacles when trying to verify his online activity. Who cares. It's in now, and I for one couldn't be more relieved. The scenarios described in some of his posts match too closely to the crime to be overlooked.

Whoa, looks like I missed a lot today.

So the trial is delayed -- <sigh>. Guess we saw it coming, but still... .

I'll speak today from the top of "the fence", since I don't think we have anyone else actively posting that is likely to do so.

I've not had time to closely look at all the media coverage from today, but so far I've not seen that the web sites mentioned were fetish sites. (I know y'all will let me know if there is coverage that did mention that.) They well could have been; we will know, I guess, in time.

Still, I can't help but recall that just the other day I visited and bookmarked a web page that could, in a vague description, be said to concern "sexual arousal from seeing someone eaten". It was on the Psychology Today site, and I bookmarked it to post here later, partly in response to a post by bettiepageturner, partially quoted just below:

<respectfully snipped>

Warning: graphic speculation.
I'm not necessarily relieved that there wasn't penetrative sexual assault. Either way Lauren's last moments were absolutely terrifying (based on the defense wounds), but at least if the motive had appeared "routinely" sexual she may have had hope that he would let her live afterwards. But as the report implies, for killers like this, the depraved violence and sadistic control are what make up the sexual act. They've often been unable to perform during the actual interaction with the victim (their escalating desires having prevented standard release for a while now) and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here. SM was a fetishist (MOO, I guess?). Fetishists of this variety use objects as a stand-in, and keep them around as reminders. I would bet her clothing that was found in his apartment served its purpose as a fantasy object prior to the act, as well as afterwards assuming he couldn't keep anything else.

I don't know how the condoms play in, and I don't want to speculate very hard on it. I don't even want to google what I'd have to google to read theories or explanations of such a paraphilia. How is it possible that even one person on earth had something miswired, or underwent some sort of trauma, such that what resulted was a linkage between arousal and dismemberment?

<respectfully snipped>

I feel so sick to even type any of that. I can't let go of the idea that if we just understood more we could catch these things and prevent them. Sadly with psychopathy comes manipulation and pathological lying (as well as general apathy about the severity of the act), so we rarely get to hear the whole story firsthand.

Sorry for the long and distracting post.. You guys posting pretrial updates are awesome!

The other reason I bookmarked that page to post was because it mentioned the Peggy Hettrick murder case. That was important to me and my viewpoint on this (Lauren's) case, because I have always, from very early on, seen some parallels between what happened in the Hettrick case and the focus in this case on SM's various disturbing posts. Though I don't believe I've ever detailed that on WS, that's actually a really big reason I have remained on the fence.

Here's the article -- remember this guy, the "Cannibal Cop"?:

Cannibal Cop: Fetish vs. Danger

No matter how disturbing a fantasy, we have steps for assessing true threat

The trial for Gilberto Valle, a police officer with the NYPD, is wrapping up this week. It has ignited a lot of controversy as it addresses the gray area between thought and act. Some people think that Valle&#8217;s sexual desires are so perverse he&#8217;s an obvious danger, while others insist that sadistic fantasies are largely a mental outlet, with low probability of triggering action. How do we decide where the truth lies?...

...In fact, the Valle trial reminds me of a misguided case from 1987. In Fort Collins, Colorado, the body of Peggy Hettrick was found in a field. She&#8217;d been stabbed in the back and her vaginal area was mutilated. Tim Masters, 15, lived nearby. He&#8217;d seen the body, but thinking it was a mannequin, had failed to report it.

He became a suspect. Several knives were found in his room, along with 15 notebooks full of his writing and drawing. Many sketches depicted decapitation, death, and dismemberment.

Although Masters wasn&#8217;t arrested, a detective stayed on the case. He learned about a psychologist who claimed to be able to predict from a suspect&#8217;s drawings the likelihood of his becoming violent. In his eighteen years of evaluation, this professional said, he&#8217;d never seen such a voluminous production by a suspect.

This was enough to finally arrest Masters. Despite zero physical evidence, the psychologist used the sketches to persuade a jury that Masters, a kid with sadistic fantasies, was the likely killer. He said the sketches were rehearsal fantasies.

In 1999, the jury found Masters guilty of first-degree murder. He went to prison.

The problem is, they were wrong. DNA analysis performed years later exonerated Masters and proved that the psychologist&#8217;s notions were erroneous....
more at: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/shadow-boxing/201303/cannibal-cop-fetish-vs-danger

At the link, there is also much about how to distinguish between cases in which there is the likelihood of acting out gruesome thoughts/preoccupations and those in which it is not likely. For what that's worth (because I, for one, am not sure how much it's worth). I think Stephen might fit some of the "danger category" signs, to be fair, and there is much we don't know.

The "cannibal cop", Valle, was not charged with murder -- apparently there was no evidence he ever actually killed (or ate) anyone, no body, etc. -- but was convicted on conspiracy to kidnap and misusing official databases.

If we find out that Stephen was engaged in discussions on a cannabilism fetish site, as Valle was, I am going to give that a lot more weight than I do just knowing that he "visited" a web site that had something to do with the topic; and I would also have to consider, at that point, whether some other posters at such a site might have become involved in Lauren's death.

The violence-oriented posts on the "other" site, the one with which we are most familiar -- well, I don't like them, but I just can't consider them all that relevant to this case. If the Mickey Finn post had been authentic, sure -- but the others, no. This is the part of this case that makes me think of the Peggy Hettrick case. Also, I remember that on that site, there was a thread touching on cannibalism -- SM didn't start the thread, but he posted that he was not interested in eating human flesh, unless maybe as a dire necessity in a survival situation.

For now, I am thinking that IF Stephen killed Lauren, there was no cannibalism involved. I also think that, if he killed her, the really valuable evidence will be physical evidence -- because I just don't think he was "good enough" to remove it all -- not computer evidence. I could be wrong.

More local coverage, with video:

DA: McDaniel Visited Websites About Dismemberment, Cannibalism

...McDaniel's defense lawyer Frank Hogue says this evidence led him to file a motion requesting the judge order the state to show exactly what sites it plans on using in trial.

"We were preparing, we had a case in mind that we were going to try. We knew what their evidence was. Two weeks ago that was knocked off of the rails with all of this new stuff," Hogue said.

"We're just weeding through what looks like will be tens of thousands, you can imagine on any given computer how many clicks are going on throughout a day, and that's what we're dealing with," he said. ...

more at: http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-new...ited-websites-about-dismemberment-cannibalism

These latest developments, I predict, are likely to put Lauren's case back on the national MSM radar.

"He also viewed Lauren Giddings&#8217; Facebook page and appeared to research a device similar to the burglar bar that Giddings used to secure her apartment door, the source said."

"Giddings was last seen alive, at least by anyone close to her, on June 25, 2011. In court Friday, Cooke mentioned gynophagia as having been looked up on McDaniel&#8217;s laptop computer &#8220;around the 22nd.&#8221;

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/01/10/2872227/da-mcdaniel-visited-website-about.html#storylink=cpy

"He also viewed Lauren Giddings’ Facebook page and appeared to research a device similar to the burglar bar that Giddings used to secure her apartment door, the source said."

"Giddings was last seen alive, at least by anyone close to her, on June 25, 2011. In court Friday, Cooke mentioned gynophagia as having been looked up on McDaniel’s laptop computer “around the 22nd.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/01/10/2872227/da-mcdaniel-visited-website-about.html#storylink=cpy

The date given as the one on which gynophagia was "looked up" is interesting (but then, in a different way, so is the term "looked up").

But I think I find bbm even more interesting -- would like to know the date on that one. If timed closely to the murders, that could fit into one of the scenarios I have over on the "guilty" side of the fence. I also have long wondered how long Lauren had had that device. Was it something relatively new?

(We do, know, too, that SM was security-conscious himself, so it might not be as it appears.)

Thus just makes me so sick!!!!!!!!! Could SMD have eaten LG? No wonder why no one can find her poor body. Remember a long time ago the gal who was a forensics major in FL posted about this. She was possibly right. And I know the defense will say many people probably visit sites they do not want public but I can honestly say even if I looked up a serial killer.....no one in their right mind would visit these mentioned types of sites. Sex, *advertiser censored* and fetish sites are one thing but I want to cry after reading this.

Hugs GS, feel the same. As deviant as I imagined McD could be, I never thought even he could do something so evil.

I look at the pictures of him and wonder; he was once an innocent child. What happened to him? How did he become this monster?

Are his parents coming to the hearings? Still visiting him in jail?

Quotes below, bbm, are from the link at:

http://www.macon.com/2014/01/10/2872227/da-mcdaniel-visited-website-about.html

...Simms told prosecutors and McDaniel&#8217;s legal team, which now includes four lawyers, to come to an agreement about sharing information about the computer data....
I would like to know who the other two lawyers are and when they came on board.

...The judge also granted a motion filed by The Telegraph&#8217;s lawyer seeking to quash the defense&#8217;s attempts to obtain unpublished Telegraph photos taken outside the apartments.

Under state law, news photographers&#8217; photos are protected from disclosure by reporters&#8217; privilege.

The judge did order that The Telegraph make published photos available for prosecutors and McDaniel&#8217;s lawyers.

Hogue said he was seeking access to the unpublished photos because they might be relevant to show whether the crime scene was secure and if any strangers were present in the days after Giddings&#8217; torso was found....
It is extremely rare that I think it is appropriate for a judge to order a media source to turn over materials, and I would not have thought it a good thing in this instance.

I do wonder, though, why the photographer/newspaper would not willingly share these, upon request. It gives the appearance of covering something up. Or saving them for a book, maybe.

...The judge has yet to rule on whether he will grant a motion filed by McDaniel&#8217;s lawyers requesting that Giddings&#8217; family be banned from wearing pink, her signature color, during the trial....

One of my earlier wonderings answered.

Hugs GS, feel the same. As deviant as I imagined McD could be, I never thought even he could do something so evil.

I look at the pictures of him and wonder; he was once an innocent child. What happened to him? How did he become this monster?

Are his parents coming to the hearings? Still visiting him in jail?

bbm: Can't say for sure, but I haven't spotted his folks at any hearing in a long time.

This case gives me nightmares.

How do her family and friends reconcile this horrifying, preliminary information? Ugh. How many more levels of depravity are we to see yet? God help us all.

Not sure if any of the recent links state it, and I can't find a link for what I heard on 13WMAZ news the other night -- but I heard them say that the judge said he MAY announce the new trial date this coming week and that the delay (well, at least over this latest) will not be more than 90 days past the original Feb. 3 date.

This case gives me nightmares.

How do her family and friends reconcile this horrifying, preliminary information? Ugh. How many more levels of depravity are we to see yet? God help us all.
ITA. While any murder is horrible, Lauren's murder is so gruesome that it seems especially surreal. I often wonder what Lauren experienced that awful night and it makes me absolutely shudder to try to imagine. And it only gets worse as more details are revealed.

From the beginning of this case, it seemed that Lauren should be here in on WS helping us solve her murder. Now, it seems she belongs in the courtroom preparing for the trial.

Lauren's death is so horrifying it could have been a novel written by someone like Stephen King. Maybe that's why, even without knowing Lauren personally, it's so hard to believe she's really gone. There's also the terrifying reality that, if something like this could happen to someone as intelligent, personable and loving as Lauren, it could happen to any of us. :(

ITA. While any murder is horrible, Lauren's murder is so gruesome that it seems especially surreal. I often wonder what Lauren experienced that awful night and it makes me absolutely shudder to try to imagine. And it only gets worse as more details are revealed.

From the beginning of this case, it seemed that Lauren should be here in on WS helping us solve her murder. Now, it seems she belongs in the courtroom preparing for the trial.

Lauren's death is so horrifying it could have been a novel written by someone like Stephen King. Maybe that's why, even without knowing Lauren personally, it's so hard to believe she's really gone. There's also the terrifying reality that, if something like this could happen to someone as intelligent, personable and loving as Lauren, it could happen to any of us. :(

Your post makes me want to share something I grapple with in Lauren's case. It is just this weird feeling that I get sometimes, somewhere in the back of my mind, that "after all this is over", somehow Lauren is going to "walk back on stage" and be back, OK, again.

I know how weird that sounds, and, of course, it's not true. But that idea somehow flits nebulously around in my mind sometimes -- and then, it hits me hard: No, she won't.

And I think how, if I, someone who didn't even know Lauren, have those come-down-hard moments like that -- what in the world can it be like for her family? I hope they are past the stage of feeling as if she is going to walk back in the room any moment -- because for that to go on and on would have to be torture -- the momentary "up", and the hard letdown of reality. But I am not sure if that ever ends, for families who have lost loved ones so suddenly and horribly. I hope it does.

Hello sleuthers, long time no see. Things are starting to heat up a little . I do have one answer. McDaniel's legal team of four attorneys is Hogue, Buford, Hogue's wife, (who recently applied for a judgeship ) and Hogue's associate, a fellow named Keith Fitzgerald More to come .

I also have to struggle against that feeling when I think about this case. It has to be the fact that Lauren's loved ones, as they wait for justice, are also waiting for her—for what they don't have of her yet. It almost feels like some terrible quest, that if they can just face and defeat the monster he'll turn into dust, leaving behind a key that unlocks the door to wherever he's hidden her. It's too incomprehensible to be perceived as anything but fiction.

There's also no plausible resolution that would allow me to make sense of it afterward, I fear. It's like with all the other cases here—we wish the mother had called 911 sooner, that the boyfriend hadn't lied about the argument.. because we still have the inclination to offer redemption, to see faint specks of humanity, if only they would just "make it right." But what kind of closure is possible here, even if he leads them to her remains, weeping with remorse? It's like dreaming that you've woken up from a nightmare when you're still inside one. But I can't even begin to imagine.

I hope SM will sit in court squinting, blinded and tearing up from all the pink. I don't think we'll ever see actual tears from him, but it's close. Thinking about Lauren's mom saying she wished she had her daughter's hands... makes it hard to be objective or analytical. Yet another reason Lauren's prosector friend is such a superhero.

Hello sleuthers, long time no see. Things are starting to heat up a little . I do have one answer. McDaniel's legal team of four attorneys is Hogue, Buford, Hogue's wife, (who recently applied for a judgeship ) and Hogue's associate, a fellow named Keith Fitzgerald More to come .

Thanks, AgentFrank! And good to see you check in here!

I wondered if Hogue's wife was involved with this case, but I didn't think the woman who appeared to be with the defense team in the courtroom looked like Laura Hogue -- but maybe it was, or maybe that was someone else there in some other capacity.

From the Hogue & Hogue web site, profiles of Laura Hogue and Keith Fitzgerald (both graduates of Mercer's law school, BTW):

http://www.hogueandhogue.com/lawyer-attorney-1820977.html

http://www.hogueandhogue.com/lawyer-attorney-1821019.html

And an article I saw the other day about the judgeship AgentFrank pointed out L. Hogue is in the running for -- it is the spot Judge Brown vacated with his recent retirement:

Nine vying to fill Macon Circuit judgeship

Eight of the nine people who have applied to fill a vacancy on the Macon Judicial Circuit Superior Court bench are women.

Six of them are prosecutors.

The vacancy was created with the retirement of Judge S. Phillip Brown at the end of 2013. ...
more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/01/11/2874644/nine-vying-to-fill-macon-circuit.html#storylink=misearch

bbm: Here's one account, an excerpt from a long story in The Washington Post. (This is the account, BTW, that says the Zaxby's refuse was found in Lauren's car, while most local-to-Macon accounts say in her apartment.):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...to-heartache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story.html
Some thoughts I had on the security bar, Lauren's Zaxby's order, and the toxicology report:

1. SMD (supposing he is Lauren's killer) may have been doing computer searches on the security bar in Lauren's apartment to figure out how to disarm it from the outside. He could only access her apartment (using the utility keys) whenever LG was out. Perhaps he'd been in her apartment Friday night when she stayed with a friend. He may have waited for her to return home for hours. He would have seized upon the opportunity again on Saturday. If he watched her leave, who knows how long he hung around in her apartment until she returned.

2. Conflicting reports on Zaxby's trash may have been due to wrappers being left in car while Lauren carried her soft drink inside with her because it wasn't empty yet. I'm thinking of a scenario where LG sat her drink down on the table and then went into the bathroom, or maybe into the bedroom to change clothes. If SMD was lurking in the apartment, it would have been his opportunity to emerge from hiding and pour alcohol/drugs into Lauren's drink.

3. SMD would have waited until LG took a drink and then for the alcohol/drugs to take effect. For her BAC to be so high, I think she must have consumed something very close to time of death, and this scenario would explain it -- I think. Also, LG would have put up a much bigger struggle had she been in full control of her mental and physical function. She was tall and athletic (ie., strong with quick reflexes). Yet, there has been no report of a sign of struggle inside Lauren's apartment or elsewhere. Nothing broken, knocked over or out of place.

I was just thinking about these pieces of information today and wondering how (or, if) they fit together. Hoping the DA has already sorted through every bit of information and knows how it all fits together. Wishing justice for Lauren in the New Year!

Yet, there has been no report of a sign of struggle inside Lauren's apartment or elsewhere. Nothing broken, knocked over or out of place.

sbm

Hard to be sure about that since SM might have had a few days before her friends came. Didn't he reportedly bleach his and/or her bathroom? I'd imagine he'd try to make her place look meticulous since in that first interview he "speculated" that she went on a run and someone snatched her.

Respectfully snipped-

Some thoughts I had on the security bar, Lauren's Zaxby's order, and the toxicology report:

1. SMD (supposing he is Lauren's killer) may have been doing computer searches on the security bar in Lauren's apartment to figure out how to disarm it from the outside. He could only access her apartment (using the utility keys) whenever LG was out. Perhaps he'd been in her apartment Friday night when she stayed with a friend. He may have waited for her to return home for hours. He would have seized upon the opportunity again on Saturday. If he watched her leave, who knows how long he hung around in her apartment until she returned.

I firmly believe he was in Lauren's apartment many, many times. I've wondered if he obtained the user/pass for her email and Facebook accounts. What a great way to know when she would be going out, etc. I'll bet he got quite the thrill from his voyeuristic forays into her personal space.

2. Conflicting reports on Zaxby's trash may have been due to wrappers being left in car while Lauren carried her soft drink inside with her because it wasn't empty yet. I'm thinking of a scenario where LG sat her drink down on the table and then went into the bathroom, or maybe into the bedroom to change clothes. If SMD was lurking in the apartment, it would have been his opportunity to emerge from hiding and pour alcohol/drugs into Lauren's drink.

He was said to have researched and purchased the ingredients to make chloroform.

I found a couple of pdfs that look like interesting reading in relation to the pre-trial publicity/change of venue issue. (Though the one focuses somewhat on Alaska, I think it covers some general considerations pretty well, too -- from a glance.) I have not had a chance to read them completely yet, but thought I would share, in case anyone else wants to look at them:

YOU SAY 'FAIR TRIAL' AND I SAY 'FREE PRESS": BRITISH AND AMERICAN APPROACHES TO PROTECTING DEFENDANTS' RIGHT IN HIGH PROFILE TRIALS
http://www.nyulawreview.org/sites/default/files/pdf/NYULawReview-75-5-Brandwood.pdf

"NOT IN OUR TOWN"
PRETRIAL PUBLICITY, PRESUMED PREJUDICE, AND CHANGE OF VENUE IN ALASKA: PUBLIC OPINION SURVEYS AS A TOOL TO MEASURE THE IMPACT OF PREJUDICIAL PRETRIAL PUBLICITY
http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1090&context=alr

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz