GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I am assuming there is still some way LE can find out what a person has been doing on a computer no matter how much they try to erase or cover their tracks, that there are some super secret ways only the most highly trained sworn to secrecy IT forensic folks have knowledge of . Guess I watch too much TV

You are quite correct that data can be retrieved off of a reformatted computer drive. I had a laptop that I reformatted and forgot to take my past turbo tax files off and save else ware. I have a FM in police IT person at a near by town and he ran my hard drive thru their software, it took days! What came back were many files and pictures of people I have never known in my life, along with my data. They mysterious files and pictures came off of the factory computers that installed the bundled software that i had purchased with the laptop. Not sure how its done but all I am saying is they can retrieve any thing that was ever on that computer it seems. Yes, I got my turbo tax files back. Boring story but true.:eek:fftopic:

You are quite correct that data can be retrieved off of a reformatted computer drive. I had a laptop that I reformatted and forgot to take my past turbo tax files off and save else ware. I have a FM in police IT person at a near by town and he ran my hard drive thru their software, it took days! What came back were many files and pictures of people I have never known in my life, along with my data. They mysterious files and pictures came off of the factory computers that installed the bundled software that i had purchased with the laptop. Not sure how its done but all I am saying is they can retrieve any thing that was ever on that computer it seems. Yes, I got my turbo tax files back. Boring story but true.:eek:fftopic:

Were they at least an attractive family? Crazy!!!!!

Originally Posted by GypsiesTramps&Thieves
I had a thought this morning when I heard my neighbor's shower come on through the wall. I've been in one apt. at BH that was on the right side if looking at the doors (like SM's). I remember that the bathroom was on the left of the unit, most likely sharing the wall with the neighbor's bathroom if the layouts are flipped. What if he could hear her shower come on? Maybe she only used the door jam when she started to go to bed. He knew he could try the door and if it unlocked, he could slip in without her hearing him and she'd be backed into a corner so to speak if she were in the shower. Also, if the attack got messy, the bathroom is easier to clean and blood would go down the drain. Just a thought, of course....

about the part I bolded:

That's good thinking! I've wished I had a diagram of the layout of the rooms of the adjacent apartments, for various reasons, but I hadn't thought about the possibility of hearing the shower next door come on.

The above from GT&T and backwoods reminded me, I recall seeing this photo a couple weeks ago...and still find the entire caption interesting... here's just a snip...

...This tub’s trap was accessed by the police through a hole in the wall of Lauren Giddings’ apartment.

They are talking about McD's bathtub, so his and Lauren's bathrooms must have been "sharing walls"... FWIW....

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/30/1649794/barristers-hall-getting-ready.html

The above from GT&T and backwoods reminded me, I recall seeing this photo a couple weeks ago...and still find the entire caption interesting... here's just a snip...

They are talking about McD's bathtub, so his and Lauren's bathrooms must have been "sharing walls"... FWIW....

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/30/1649794/barristers-hall-getting-ready.html

Doesn't seem like they would be sharing a wall, otherwise the plumber could not have cut thru the wall, her tub would have been in the way. At least until they removed it and took it to the FBI lab.

If McD is guilty and dumb enough to leave the packaging to the murder weapon in his apartment, I doubt he covered his online tracks (if any) very well. I am a computer nerd myself (programmer, MS in computer science and certified in system security). Just because you do basic things like delete a file or clear your cookies doesn't mean that info can't be retrieved from your computer.

I tend to think SmD didn't use the computer much, given his lack of online presence (FB, blog, etc). He probably didn't search for much if so.

FWIW, just because you clean your computer entirely, you can still get data from other sources. Google can provide a list of everything you've searched from a certain Ip address. I assume that info could be subpoenaed but I don't know for sure.

As a side note, I hope no one ever confiscates my computer. With all these searches for mutilation, comp. mast., etc, it wouldn't look so good. :)
Nerd hubby confirmed that even he can't erase everything. I just think he is super Nerd! I do think you are right that McD might not have used his puter that much. I think he was playing the video games a great deal. I thought I had him the other day. I found a site with a dude from Macon that posted videos of his "zombie preparedness" I would say curl up with a good cup of coffee and watch all of them, but they are WEIRD! I guess the subject matter could be interesting and fun if the people in the videos weren't so serious. I swear they are dead serious. It makes you go hmmmm for sure.

Doesn't seem like they would be sharing a wall, otherwise the plumber could not have cut thru the wall, her tub would have been in the way. At least until they removed it and took it to the FBI lab.

Maybe he could hear if he was hanging out in the apt downstairs.

I guess I am assuming there is still some way LE can find out what a person has been doing on a computer no matter how much they try to erase or cover their tracks, that there are some super secret ways only the most highly trained sworn to secrecy IT forensic folks have knowledge of . Guess I watch too much TV

There are many ways a expert IT tech can retrieve and restore data. With search warrants LE IT folks can do even more. If, a person backs up to a server online there is a trail. Even though the backup has been erased by the user, again there is a trail.

Everything on a computer can be "dumped" and reviewed. Even bits and pieces. Even though the average user can't read a lot of it, IT techs can. It might not make sense when it is bits and pieces but a very well trained forensic tech can put it together like a puzzle and read it.

There is also software that can do amazing restorations of most files. A trail is left on the computer for every server you access. Just like the pings on a phone.

MaconMom, get hubby to come online and tell us more. I'm sure he knows a lot more ways than I do.

Deleted files are often easily recoverable and it's not even super secret. I use EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard at home. And Raid Reconstructer on the servers at work. I was once able to retrieve a file off the server that had been deleted two years prior. And forensic's labs use much better software.
There are however ways to make data recovery VERY difficult if not impossible. Whenever I'm going to sell or donate a computer I run dban - Darik's Boot And Nuke - which wipes (erases) the entire hard drive with a varity of selectable standards including Department of Defense levels.

If McD is guilty and dumb enough to leave the packaging to the murder weapon in his apartment, I doubt he covered his online tracks (if any) very well. I am a computer nerd myself (programmer, MS in computer science and certified in system security). Just because you do basic things like delete a file or clear your cookies doesn't mean that info can't be retrieved from your computer.

I tend to think SmD didn't use the computer much, given his lack of online presence (FB, blog, etc). He probably didn't search for much if so.

FWIW, just because you clean your computer entirely, you can still get data from other sources. Google can provide a list of everything you've searched from a certain Ip address. I assume that info could be subpoenaed but I don't know for sure.

As a side note, I hope no one ever confiscates my computer. With all these searches for mutilation, comp. mast., etc, it wouldn't look so good. :)

BBM: Well, fwiw, I have seen a picture of SM at a computer with at least 3 browser windows open (which isn't necessarily very many:crazy:), while he is visiting at a family function.

Couldn't for the life of me see what he was browsing, but, this picture was taken a few years ago (I think), and doesn't mean he was a prolific computer user, in and of itself, but I am thinking he definitely was, and knew enough to cover his tracks that way.

Has LE confiscated any of the computers at the Law School, like in the Library etc.?

There are many ways a expert IT tech can retrieve and restore data. With search warrants LE IT folks can do even more. If, a person backs up to a server online there is a trail. Even though the backup has been erased by the user, again there is a trail.

Everything on a computer can be "dumped" and reviewed. Even bits and pieces. Even though the average user can't read a lot of it, IT techs can. It might not make sense when it is bits and pieces but a very well trained forensic tech can put it together like a puzzle and read it.

There is also software that can do amazing restorations of most files. A trail is left on the computer for every server you access. Just like the pings on a phone.

MaconMom, get hubby to come online and tell us more. I'm sure he knows a lot more ways than I do.

Right, if I ever need to hide my trail, I'll use a sledgehammer on the laptop and then give it a long bath in a bucket of magnets and orange juice. Let's see the tech guys retrieve something from that! ;)

I don't do the tech stuff myself, and have very little idea of what it entails, but I send out computers for forensic analysis semi-often as part of my job. The general rule seems to be that a lot of stuff is usually recoverable, but the more the trail has been hidden or the longer it has been, the more it is going to cost you to get it. If you can narrow down something specific you are looking for, it will be cheaper and easier, but if you don't even know what you're looking for, it can end up costing a heckuva lot.

There are always some bits and pieces of data that end up just being gone, no matter what you do, but usually enough is left over to try and reconstruct what they were doing. But websites that have been visited seem to be among the easier things to recover -- there never seems to be a shortage of that kind of data returned, anyway, for the stuff I've had done.

He should have spent a little more time watching Law and Order. I think I've watched enough to know that I cannot get away with murder.
Speaking of, I would love to know how McD thought he could get away with murder. Does anyone have specifics as to the details that he was saying?

Right, if I ever need to hide my trail, I'll use a sledgehammer on the laptop and then give it a long bath in a bucket of magnets and orange juice. Let's see the tech guys retrieve something from that! ;)

I don't do the tech stuff myself, and have very little idea of what it entails, but I send out computers for forensic analysis semi-often as part of my job. The general rule seems to be that a lot of stuff is usually recoverable, but the more the trail has been hidden or the longer it has been, the more it is going to cost you to get it. If you can narrow down something specific you are looking for, it will be cheaper and easier, but if you don't even know what you're looking for, it can end up costing a heckuva lot.

There are always some bits and pieces of data that end up just being gone, no matter what you do, but usually enough is left over to try and reconstruct what they were doing. But websites that have been visited seem to be among the easier things to recover -- there never seems to be a shortage of that kind of data returned, anyway, for the stuff I've had done.

Is it true that when the physical space has been written over, the deleted data will be more difficult to retrieve?

:heartluv::heartluv::heartluv:
Deleted files are often easily recoverable and it's not even super secret. I use EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard at home. And Raid Reconstructer on the servers at work. I was once able to retrieve a file off the server that had been deleted two years prior. And forensic's labs use much better software.
There are however ways to make data recovery VERY difficult if not impossible. Whenever I'm going to sell or donate a computer I run dban - Darik's Boot And Nuke - which wipes (erases) the entire hard drive with a varity of selectable standards including Department of Defense levels.

I <3 <3 <3 dban.

Is it true that when the physical space has been written over, the deleted data will be more difficult to retrieve?

That is correct. Here's a post I found that explains it:

http://forums.techeblog.com/techeblog-articles/1726-how-data-recovery-brings-back-deleted-files.html

ETA: here is my basic/laymans description of how it works. This is digging way back to my intro to IT days so bear with me. Imagine your hard drive as a row of 10 holes. Picture your file in terms of Skittles. Your file is 5 skittles long, so you put one skittle in the first 5 holes. Your next file is 2 skittles long, so put 2 more skittles in your next 2 holes. Now delete your first file by eating your 5 skittles. Now add a new file that's 6 skittles long. You fill up the first 5 slots that are now empty, but you have to skip the next 2 and put the remaining skittle in slot 8. To sum it up, a file's "pieces" are not necessary stored consecutively on your hard drive. If a file is deleted and only a few pieces of the file are overwritten with new data, you can use the other pieces that haven't been overwritten to recreate the file in some cases. The fewer the pieces, the less likely you can restore it (and more expensive/time-consuming it becomes).

If you've ever run "defrag" on your computer, you can see a visual representation of this. Incidentally that's why it's possible to speed up the access time to your hard drive by defragging it - it gets rid of those empty spaces between files.

Yep. That's what dban does. It overwrites all the data blocks with random numbers and depending on the standard you select it will make as many as 35 passes over each block. Effectively eliminating whatever was there before:
"There is yet no published evidence as to intelligence agencies' ability to recover files whose sectors have been overwritten, although published Government security procedures clearly consider an overwritten disk to still be sensitive.[4]

Companies specializing in recovery of damaged media (e.g., media damaged by fire, water or otherwise) cannot recover completely overwritten files. No private data recovery company currently claims that it can reconstruct completely overwritten data."
Gutmann method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep. That's what dban does. It overwrites all the data blocks with random numbers and depending on the standard you select it will make as many as 35 passes over each block. Effectively eliminating whatever was there before:
"There is yet no published evidence as to intelligence agencies' ability to recover files whose sectors have been overwritten, although published Government security procedures clearly consider an overwritten disk to still be sensitive.[4]

Companies specializing in recovery of damaged media (e.g., media damaged by fire, water or otherwise) cannot recover completely overwritten files. No private data recovery company currently claims that it can reconstruct completely overwritten data."
Gutmann method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Methinks if McD did any of this to his computer that would be tell us something also, although purely circumstantial of course. I am sure Glenda McDaniel would say he always cleaned his hard drive out all the time

I don't think anyone suggests that there is a clear cut answer. Psychomom, correct me if I am wrong...it is my understanding that there is no one test that you can do for these personality disorders and no one thing that happens in a child's history that definitely makes them "this or that."

I have seen profiles written on certain murderers, and then seen papers that re-evaluate that analysis.

We have a tiny portion of what LE has and a tiny snippet into someone's life. Who knows...but it does pass the time to research and speculate.

You need to see more than one bit of information to make a valid diagnosis. One test can point you in a direction, but you will need to do more investigation before completing your diagnosis. As for a single event creating a disorder, in the case of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), that can be the case. Think of a violent assault, or a horrifying auto accident, or witnessing a murder. Those can trigger PTSD, which usually will lead to panic attacks, depression, flashbacks, etc. Not usually any violence in that.

As for other disorders, while a single incident can create a crisis, and it could trigger some underlying problems, usually it depends on how the crisis is managed. For example, if a child is assaulted, he or she may separate from their mind during the assault because their mind cannot handle what the body is going through. That may create a blank spot in their tape. A piece of memory they file away as something not connected to them personally. It can pop back up, which could trigger PTSD, ironically. If the assaults or abuse is ongoing, sometimes the mind can split. One mind takes the abuse, one doesn't remember it.

That is where the idea of split personality comes from. Even then, it is a very, very, very controversial diagnosis. Mostly poo-pooed by most in the mental health field. Even then, the personalities tend to be age appropriate for the abuse, or become the parent, or the person in charge of protecting all the personalities, or the so-called 'normal' person. Still, rarely, do any of these become violent.

There are those who grow up in continued abuse who become abusive themselves. Usually, that abuse is in their own family system, just like what they endured. It is a true psychotic break to leap into murder for thrill. I see that more in the realm of a someone with antisocial personality disorder. That does include psychopath and sociopath, as we have discussed ad nauseum. I believe those behaviors would stand out starting earlier in life in some way, shape, or manner.

These people are devoid of a soul, as far as I can see. I have seen it in children, some as young as 7 years old, and it is scary. These children could act perfectly normal and smile at you and play games and be sweet as honey. Then look at you and tell you about twisting a kitten's neck until it snapped because it didn't want to be petted. Or the teen who ran over a little girl who looks at you and states, "Everyone has to die, why should it bother me?" Those are extreme cases. It could be as simple as getting on a teacher's computer and looking up kiddie *advertiser censored*, then reporting them for abuse because they put you in detention for talking in class. Or putting exlax in the competition's food before the big race.

Those with antisocial personality disorder do things for their benefit only. Anything or anyone who disrupts what they are wanting are to be removed or taught to tow the line. They can become abusive spouses and parents because you have to present the proper image despite what happens at home. They are really good at becoming bosses, often. Not always. Sometimes, they are not savvy enough to become bosses, but they are willing to stomp on anyone blocking their goal, even if it involves lying, cheating, stealing, or, in some cases, murder.

Whoa! I typed too much. Sorry. Hope it helps. :shush:

“One small thing” is how agent Craig Rotter of the GBI’s Perry field office described the discovery, “one item that had some information on it” that state authorities thought might be useful to Macon detectives and Bibb County prosecutors.
In thinking about Rotter's conversation with the reporter... what his full quoted words were, the context, tone, etc...
I'm wondering if there might have been just a little bit of sarcasm in his statement :waitasec:

Methinks if McD did any of this to his computer that would be tell us something also, although purely circumstantial of course. I am sure Glenda McDaniel would say he always cleaned his hard drive out all the time

:floorlaugh:You're correct. If McD used something like dban or other software to erase his hard drive, everything would be gone. He would then need to reinstall the Operating System. A tech going through the system would be able to see when that installation was performed.
But, of course, that would routine for Stephen

:floorlaugh:You're correct. If McD used something like dban or other software to erase his hard drive, everything would be gone. He would then need to reinstall the Operating System. A tech going through the system would be able to see when that installation was performed.
But, of course, that would routine for Stephen

I thought that too, but a quick google search shows the Guntmann method can delete individual files (not just the entire hard drive). I've never tried it myself though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201