CONVICTION OVERTURNED GA - Ross Harris Trial Appeal, hot car death of son, Cooper

So you think they were just going to say, "Sorry for your loss" and let him go home?

Georgia's governor began airing this public service announcement about a month before Cooper died. In it, Commissioner Bobby Cagle states, “We’re going to be working with prosecutors in the state of Georgia to ensure we have attorneys that are prosecuting these crimes.” Ross and Leanna had seen this PSA.
I think RH thought the police would just interview him and not charge him with any crime. He was surprised when told that he would be charged with cruelty to a child because (being familiar with the law) he argued that his actions were unintentional and without malice.

According to the fact sheet for hot car deaths on "Kids and Cars," 14% of children are left in the car "Knowingly."

I believe RH was in that catagory.
"Knowingly" refers to some type of negligence without an intent to harm the child, ReadySet. Like the parent who doesn't want to wake the baby, so she plans to run in the store for "just a few minutes", she loses track of time, and the few minutes turns into an hour. Or the parent who has no idea how hot a car can get in just ten minutes. A few years ago there was a case in GA or TX (not sure) where a mom left her baby in the car & proceeded to spend 6 hours in a hair salon. She left the A/C running, but it quit and the baby died. She was prosecuted, and rightly so.

No one has ever been charged with murder in a hot car death except for Ross Harris.

Reactions: nao
My mind is no longer fresh on this case but I also recall an interview with jurors who stated how RH knew the ways to prevent hot car deaths but took none of those steps for his own child.
That makes absolutely no sense to me. Those jurors convicted him of deliberate, premeditated MURDER, so why on earth would they expect him to follow the "Look Again!" advice in the public service announcement? Sheesh!

Nicole Engler, a pediatric nurse, lost her daughter two years ago. She was very much aware of hot car deaths, because she followed the April Suwyn case. In Nicole's own words: "There was a woman in Utah named April Suwyn that this happened to. I feel like such a jerk now, because I remember at the time - before I had kids, you think you're the best parent until you become one - and I remember judging her harshly, saying 'I don't understand how you forget your baby is in the car.' And I'm very lucky, because she reached out to me after this happened and she still checks on me once a week..."

You cannot train your brain not to forget.

That makes absolutely no sense to me. Those jurors convicted him of deliberate, premeditated MURDER, so why on earth would they expect him to follow the "Look Again!" advice in the public service announcement? Sheesh!

Nicole Engler, a pediatric nurse, lost her daughter two years ago. She was very much aware of hot car deaths, because she followed the April Suwyn case. In Nicole's own words: "There was a woman in Utah named April Suwyn that this happened to. I feel like such a jerk now, because I remember at the time - before I had kids, you think you're the best parent until you become one - and I remember judging her harshly, saying 'I don't understand how you forget your baby is in the car.' And I'm very lucky, because she reached out to me after this happened and she still checks on me once a week..."

You cannot train your brain not to forget.
Here's what the juror I was referring to actually said (bolded by me):
Justin Ross Harris' Ex-Wife Takes to Social Media After Guilty Verdicts: 'The Problem Is Not the Parent'
Juror No. 3, Candi Parrish, told ABC News that the jurors were leaning toward guilt from the first vote.
"At first vote, all 12 [jurors] leaned toward guilty. Three were unsure completely and wanted to review more evidence," Parish said of the deliberation process.
Parrish, a 23-year-old married, stay-at-home mother, explained how she came to the guilty verdict.
"There were too many factors that played throughout his day that you wouldn't forget your child in the car,” she said. "To say he literally drove just 1/2 mile to work -- only five minutes -- and forgot his child is unbelievable. I think it is really hard to do something like that.
"He actually mentioned that he forgot to take his double-look,” she added. “He knew those steps, but he didn't take them."

The statement below summarizes how I feel about the verdict.
Ross Harris defense: Guilty verdict result of 'breakdowns' in justice system
When they asked the jury if there was any one thing that persuaded them, they replied that it was the totality of the evidence and no one thing in particular.

Thanks for clarifying wht "knowingly" refers to. I would encourage a revision of the fact sheet to clarify how the word is being used.

RH is not the only one charged with murder in a hot car death.

Smyrna hot car death: Father Dylan Levesque charged with murder

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...-challenges-warrant-chantae-cabrera/359424100

Georgia foster mom charged with murder in death of twins found in hot car

Alabama woman indicted on capital murder charge in son's hot car death

Gambling Oklahoma grandma sentenced to 17 years in federal prison in 5-year-old’s hot car death

I only looked for a few minutes. There are probably more.

"Knowingly" refers to some type of negligence without an intent to harm the child, ReadySet. Like the parent who doesn't want to wake the baby, so she plans to run in the store for "just a few minutes", she loses track of time, and the few minutes turns into an hour. Or the parent who has no idea how hot a car can get in just ten minutes. A few years ago there was a case in GA or TX (not sure) where a mom left her baby in the car & proceeded to spend 6 hours in a hair salon. She left the A/C running, but it quit and the baby died. She was prosecuted, and rightly so.

No one has ever been charged with murder in a hot car death except for Ross Harris.

The cases you cited had aggravating circumstances, though, such as drugs, domestic violence, etc. Elizabeth Case, for example, had a history of drug abuse. She was out on bond for robbery and theft charges, fraudulent use of a credit card, and was dumpster diving when she left her son in the car. DCS had an open investigation on Dylan Levesque for drugs, child endangerment, and attempting to strangle a woman.

It was a poor choice of words on my part, however. I should have said that Ross Harris is the only person sentenced to LWOP for cheating on his wife.

[QUOTE="DaisyKenny, post: 16412165, member: 240064"
The statement below summarizes how I feel about the verdict.
When they asked the jury if there was any one thing that persuaded them, they replied that it was the totality of the evidence and no one thing in particular.[/QUOTE]
So what is some of that evidence that proved malice murder?

Lying about that lunchtime car visit and claiming how it was "up in the air" who took Cooper to daycare when he was THE parent who took him

But you previously said that "I think he only thought they would talk to his wife and not investigate any further. He didn't even think LE would talk to his co-workers or look at the parking lot video and find out about the lunchtime car visit."

If Ross Harris was so positive that they'd never investigate him, then he had no reason to lie. It doesn't make sense.

You keep changing the narrative.
No one else charged with murder? Well yes there has been.
Oh wait, the others had aggravating circumstances.
And when you said charged, you really meant sentenced; and when you said murder, you really meant cheating on his wife.
OK.

The cases you cited had aggravating circumstances, though, such as drugs, domestic violence, etc. Elizabeth Case, for example, had a history of drug abuse. She was out on bond for robbery and theft charges, fraudulent use of a credit card, and was dumpster diving when she left her son in the car. DCS had an open investigation on Dylan Levesque for drugs, child endangerment, and attempting to strangle a woman.

It was a poor choice of words on my part, however. I should have said that Ross Harris is the only person sentenced to LWOP for cheating on his wife.

But you previously said that "I think he only thought they would talk to his wife and not investigate any further. He didn't even think LE would talk to his co-workers or look at the parking lot video and find out about the lunchtime car visit."

If Ross Harris was so positive that they'd never investigate him, then he had no reason to lie. It doesn't make sense.
He was hoping they wouldn't investigate him. Obviously the reason he would lie was if he was trying to hide something, like his guilt.

You keep changing the narrative.
No one else charged with murder? Well yes there has been.
Oh wait, the others had aggravating circumstances.
And when you said charged, you really meant sentenced; and when you said murder, you really meant cheating on his wife.
OK.

Ok. So what convinced you that he murdered his son? I'm referring to specific evidence, not the "it was everything" explanation.

You can ask a poster a question, but you can't tell them how to answer or not.

I followed the case and the trial very carefully and closely. Based on my long life experience, my knowledge of parents and children, and my excellent judgment and reasoning skills, I determined through a preponderance of the evidence that he was guilty.

I have no obligation to state the specifics of my opinion.

Ok. So what convinced you that he murdered his son? I'm referring to specific evidence, not the "it was everything" explanation.

You can ask a poster a question, but you can't tell them how to answer or not.

I followed the case and the trial very carefully and closely. Based on my long life experience, my knowledge of parents and children, and my excellent judgment and reasoning skills, I determined through a preponderance of the evidence that he was guilty.

I have no obligation to state the specifics of my opinion.

Well said!

I'm trying to understand why Kidsandcars.org would want to be associated with a convicted child killer like Ross Harris. Sure, people don't want to go to jail for their kids dying if it was truly an accident, but most people are motivated just by not wanting their kids to die at all.

You said the only difference for RH was that he was cheating on his spouse. Are you saying all of the parents who lose a child that way lie to the police about their activities, including visiting the car during the day? Have they watched videos about hot car deaths just days before? Did they only drive a 1/2 mile to work and sit in their car 30 seconds before getting out.? Are they wanting to become an advocate for the cause just a couple hours later?

New Ross Harris documentary Fatal Distraction claims untold story | 11alive.com
12:04 AM EST November 21, 2020

Years after conviction for leaving his son in a hot car, Harris' parents are speaking out and a documentary filmmaker hopes her work will bring about a new trial. “I want people to know that he is innocent and an innocent man is sitting in prison and that he was not treated fairly,” his mother Evelyn Harris said. “I want a fair and honest trial. I want him to be vindicated. He’s a good man.”

“It’s a gross, gross miscarriage of justice and it makes me very angry, extremely angry,” director Susan Morgan Cooper said. “Documentaries have a great power and you just watch me through this documentary - we are going to make sure that Justin Ross Harris gets released from prison and has a fair trial.”

dbe099c9-30b5-4c1f-bd5e-9f7c699f20be_1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
So after all of this time now they come out with a documentary. Yea right. How many years ago did the happen? Oh I think it was in 2014 so 6 yrs ago so we are just now coming up with this idea.

Sorry I believe he was found Guilty in a court of law by 12 member of a jury of his peers. I also believe he is guilty! jmo imho!

So after all of this time now they come out with a documentary. Yea right. How many years ago did the happen? Oh I think it was in 2014 so 6 yrs ago so we are just now coming up with this idea.

Sorry I believe he was found Guilty in a court of law by 12 member of a jury of his peers. I also believe he is guilty! jmo imho!
Exactly as you said.
It probably took them this long to find someone/some company/whatever who would consider it. We'll see what happens.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back