GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I believe it was on the Saturday that this stranger was seen in their yard. I wonder why not many details about this, other than although no identifying features were seen, the person who witnessed this stranger seems sure it was a male.

Sheriff Sills has cleared this person. I am still shaking my head. What was that person doing in the Dermond's yard on Saturday? Who was this person? Maybe this is the same guy who went to the Hardee House and asked about the security videos over that weekend? In all seriousness....the mystery person on the lawn was cleared early on. Why was he there on Saturday, when they were most likely deceased? Why so quick to clear this person? I have so many questions.

So...
Who knows how to navigate Lake Oconee, who knows how to leave no known evidence at 1 or 2 crime scenes, who knows how to decapitate a man and take that man's head, sink a woman's body several miles away and arouse no suspicion while doing these things?

JMO

He told me and Tricia it was a cold case squad from the Jacksonville, FL police department, the person in charge was his former roommate at the FBI academy.
Thank you for the refresh, Levi. Much appreciate!

After all this time, I still do believe the killers, and I believe there were two, removed Mr. D's head to remove any possible evidence. They thought that Mrs. D's body would never surface because of the efforts they went to, with the blocks keeping her body submerged. I do believe they WANTED to take Mr. D's body with them as well, but my scenario is that there wasn't enough room in their boat for both Mr. and Mrs., and/or both together were too heavy. Thus, they improvised as best they thought they had time for by decapitating.
I also believe the killer/s were known to them and at least one was relatively close. It's always possible a lone killer did all of that, but JMOO, of course.

I think if it was someone mentally ill they took the head for some perverted psycho reason and not just to cover their tracks. But trying to keep the blood from running out of the garage indicates the killer or killers wanted to keep people from finding out there was a dead body in their as long as possible...
*In THERE. Geeze. Remind me not to type when I'm tired. LOL

The alarm system was disabled or stopped working over Easter weekend. The daughter had been visiting that weekend iirc. So alarm system had stopped working for about 2 weeks.

KD talked to his father on Tuesday or Thursday prior to the incident. This is what I’ve heard in the past.

We have to narrow the timeline.
Did USA Today get delivered by the mailperson on Friday?

And when was the last time...
1. their computer was logged on? Last email sent? Last email answered?
2. Cellphone called made by Mr. D/ Mrs. D
3. Last time alarm system armed/ unarmed?
4. Last time anyone spoke to either one?
5. Who was the last known person to speak to them?
6. Last credit/ debit card transaction- when/ where?

JMO

The alarm system was disabled or stopped working over Easter weekend. The daughter had been visiting that weekend iirc. So alarm system had stopped working for about 2 weeks.

KD talked to his father on Tuesday or Thursday prior to the incident. This is what I’ve heard in the past.
Are you talking about the Ds' home alarm system? I had read something about that when I recently looked into info on this case. I have not yet had a chance to look further into that and wasn't sure if I was understanding correctly, as I found it extremely concerning that BOTH the security systems (the community one, AND the Dermond one) would be faulty at the same very unfortunate time? Surely this can't be seen as coincidence?

Does that 2-week timing kind of match up with the timing the security cameras at the community entrance (guard shack?) were 'knocked out by the storm'?

Is it a cause for concern that the daughter just happened to be visiting her parents at the time when the Ds' security system stopped working?

This may seem like a really stupid question, so I apologize in advance if it is, but I'm feeling confused about this.. What is the great benefit to the safety of residents in a 'gated community', if anyone at any time can simply access any property by merely entering via the water instead of the roadway?

So...
Who knows how to navigate Lake Oconee, who knows how to leave no known evidence at 1 or 2 crime scenes, who knows how to decapitate a man and take that man's head, sink a woman's body several miles away and arouse no suspicion while doing these things?

JMO
Who plans for the act of sinking a dead body with concrete blocks, but yet doesn't understand or take the time to research how much weight it would actually take to keep a 170lb body submersed once decomposition begins?

I'm not feeling confident about the 'boat' part of all of this. First, what kind of boat would one propose was used? ie many boats, like say a smaller fishing type of boat, are not high enough to keep things hidden well enough, ie if someone happened, along a long shoreline(?) to be looking out with their binoculars (which presumably every resident living on the water might own), they might see something worthy of noticing/reporting.

Secondly, if a larger type of boat, or even if a smaller type of boat, it is a fact that noise carries on the water.. voices can be heard, boat motors can be heard.. would none of the full-time residents have heard a boat? Like others have mentioned, this time of year isn't exactly boat season yet. Wouldn't someone have noticed the sounds of someone on the water, especially if very late at night?

Third.. I can't see any type of operation taking place IN the boat itself, other than possibly the transportation of the body for dumping. I'm thinking it would have to be one LARGE boat to have performed much else on there, due to space constraints, noise considerations, and balancing issues.

Maybe I am envisioning things wrong, just due to my own personal experiences with smaller types of boats, and having lived on the water every summer for much of my life.. but I'm just not feeling it about the boat involvement. Isn't there anywhere on the lake where a body could be 'driven' to by road, and dumped from a bridge, or a bank? I'm not understanding why people believe that where the body was discovered, was the same place the body was dumped?

Does anyone know if MD had any children? I've done a light search but haven't had time to really dig in yet.

Last edited:
Who plans for the act of sinking a dead body with concrete blocks, but yet doesn't understand or take the time to research how much weight it would actually take to keep a 170lb body submersed once decomposition begins?

And why didn't the killer(s) use grey cinder blocks rather than those reddish landscape blocks?

According to the Home Depot website an 8"x 12"x 16" grey cinder block weighs 40.5 lbs. Wouldn't that be better to use than those 22 lb. reddish landscaping blocks? And grey cinder blocks with holes would allow you to pull ropes through the blocks. Wouldn't that be better to keep a submerged body from rising?

I want to know if the Ds had those reddish blocks on their property?

And the block manufacturer could be identified- the ones at Lowe's are different from the HD ones.

JMO

Thanks!
So the house had a "monitored" system and no one came to fix it in 2 weeks?
Wonder if the D's home alarm system was monitored by the same company that monitored the camera systems at the guard house?

Hmmmm.

JMO

Thanks!
So the house had a "monitored" system and no one came to fix it in 2 weeks?
Wonder if the D's home alarm system was monitored by the same company that monitored the camera systems at the guard house?

Hmmmm.

JMO
So I'm having a hard time with that as well. I'm trying to find were it has been stated that the Ds alarm system was not working. 2 weeks is too long for it not to have been repaired by any standard (used to be in my wheel house a while back) and what was the cause of the alarm system not working? Can anyone provide a link that mentions the Ds alarm system was not working? Do we know if the system was actually monitored?

Are you talking about the Ds' home alarm system? I had read something about that when I recently looked into info on this case. I have not yet had a chance to look further into that and wasn't sure if I was understanding correctly, as I found it extremely concerning that BOTH the security systems (the community one, AND the Dermond one) would be faulty at the same very unfortunate time? Surely this can't be seen as coincidence?

Does that 2-week timing kind of match up with the timing the security cameras at the community entrance (guard shack?) were 'knocked out by the storm'?

Is it a cause for concern that the daughter just happened to be visiting her parents at the time when the Ds' security system stopped working?
It is cause of great concern as far as my line of thinking...

Still would like to see something that states that the Ds alarm system was not functioning/broken and not just disabled at the time of the murders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nosferatu