George Sodder saw a picture of a young girl in a magazine that he believed was Betty

JSTOR: Rugg on Rugg: His Theories and His Curriculum The revised editions of the textbooks appeared from 1936 to 1940 with some ... in collaboration with Louise Krueger of the Walt Whitman School in New York, ...

Definately the right spelling on Louise Krueger. Floyd Social Studies Textbooks: Indiana State University Lib...
Harold O. Rugg and Louise Krueger. Rugg, Harold, and Louise Krueger. NATURE PEOPLES. Man and His Changing Society. The Rugg Social Science Series. ...Harold Rugg | UXL Encyclopedia of World Biography | Find Art...
Harold Rugg from UXL Encyclopedia of World Biography in Reference provided free ... (Louise Krueger, who had become Rugg's second wife on August 25, ...

Great job Fox! I am afraid this woman may be dead. But let's check whitepages anyway. Does it say anything else? Like where she was located at the time?

christine have you heard from granddaughter lately? She hasn't been on for a while. I just talked to the orphanage again, they listened to the entire story of the Sodder's, and promised to send all of that information to their alumni people. They are going to search using Betty Sodder's photo I sent them, and are also going to look for any children bought together, just in case Betty was with her four siblings when she showed up, are going to check into the name in case it wasn't changed, and are going to look through all of the photos they have of their dance and ballet classes.

Seems Louise was married to Rugg:

Wife 1- On September 4, 1912, Rugg married Bertha Miller; they adopted two children.The marriage was the first of three for Rugg, two of which ended in divorce. Wife 2-Louise Krueger, who had become Rugg's second wife on August 25, 1930—they had one child&#x2014. Wife 3-Following his retirement in 1951, Rugg continued his study of creativity for the remaining nine years of his life. He died in 1960 at Woodstock, New York, his home since his marriage in 1947 to his third wife, Elizabeth May Howe .

Okay guys have a new question

In Inside detective magazine, it states

Mr. Sodder made one trip to New York to investigate the likeness of a picture in a magazine to one of his children. The picture was one of two beginners in a ballet class at the West Side Center of the New York Children's Aid Society.

They had one child. This is nothing more than a shot in the dark. Was the child Rugg's? Was it a boy or a girl?

Why would somebody kidnap Betty and put her in an orphanage? That doesn't make much sense to me. A Jewish one no less?? I am sorry but I really doubt she was ever there. :twocents:

When it comes to the mob, which a lot of people on here believe had something to do with this, the children were most likely taken and killed, and if that is so their bodies would have been hidden. Although the mob is good at making a person disappear, I would think those bodies would have been found because of how many years have gone by. But I have looked and looked through bodies that have been found and can not find any bodies except for the two boys I put on here, that correspond. So my thought is this. It is possible that someone took the girls and couldn't bring themselves to kill these girls. It's very easy to fall in love with a child. But if someone did, I doubt they would have kept these kids for themselves. The mob would find out that the person who was supposed to kill and dispose of the kids suddenly had a kid, of the same age, and description.

So what better to do with a child that you can't keep, but you also can't bring yourself to murder? This orphanage took children for any reason from any background. They were famous for taking any child, black, white, red it didn't matter. Any religion was welcome. It didn't matter. They took the kids, and would instruct them in the ways of their religion no matter who they were.

Now, add the fact that their orphanage was frequented by magazines, taking photos and putting them into their magazines. They had ballet classes that were instructed by someone from the New York Children's Aide society. Now given these facts, I would like you to look up a magazine entitled "Inside Detective". It has a story about the Sodder children and inside it claims the following and I quote, "Mr. Sodder made one trip to New York to investigate the likeness of a picture in a magazine to one of his children. The picture was one of two beginners in a ballet class at the West Side Center of the New York children's aid society. But he was informed there could be "no question about the child's parentage" and therefore it could not possibly be the child he sought."

Given this new information, I believed it imperative for us to track down this orphanage. Even if this child is just a lookalike, it helps us to know that she is not the real Betty Sodder, and if she is still alive and we can talk to her, it will help us immensely. And with the people from this orphanage so willing to help us, I think that this us a great thing. I want to prove one way or another who the child in this photograph is. And incidentally, I sent our library of congress lady the information stating the photo is from the aid society to see what she comes up with if anything.

I think I am going to call the children's aid society of New York, and ask them about the photo as well. Any beyond that, in the article in Inside Detective it also states,

"The family recieved a letter from St Louis who said the oldest girl Martha was in a convent there. But that too proved to be a false lead." But isn't it worth another look? Can anyone check into this St Louis lead, and granddaughter do you know anything about this supposed letter from St Louis and this convent?

Oh one more thing. I think if the mob had a hand in this, it was done to show their power so to speak. The children disappear, never to be seen again. It might have been enough just to have the children gone, disappeared without a trace, to have George start paying his dues. This could have been about a show of power, look what we can do. Or even perhaps, your kids are gone, now if you want them dead go ahead and don't pay your dues. Sort of a ransom. We'll keep your kids safe as long as you pay us from now on. That could be a reason to dump them anywhere they could, and to split them up so they didn't have any power. It's easy to feel powerless when you are in a strange place, all alone, no money, etc. An orphan too, if they were told their parents and other siblings died in a fire.

And the photo supposedly of their son could have been part of that ransom. See? We're keeping your kids safe here is a picture to prove it, keep paying your damned dues.

Just called the New York Children's Aid society. We are running into some bad luck. The guy who did all the archives is dying, the photos have all been sent to a new place to be catalouged, and although the lady on the phone said she would do a little digging to see if she can speak with the people who currently have the photos, she didn't sound too enthusiastic or positive about it. She sounded pretty negative and said, "I'll see what I can do". I'm gonna pray.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_thinking
Back