George Sodder saw a picture of a young girl in a magazine that he believed was Betty

It was my understanding that the family member who recalled seeing the photo said the ballet students were lined up at the barre.

Just seen the insert image button so going to give it a go. Please bear with me, it might take a few tries. FYI I have been unable to link this pic with any magazine so it's more than likely unrelated. Also I have been unable to find this picture elsewhere online despite many search attempts. The website I found it on states they are American based pics from 1950-1960, but it does state elsewhere that they start from late 40's. From what I've seen most are 50's so again, more than likely not the one. I'm happy to link the website if anyone can let me know how? Anyway, here goes! ballet-lessons.jpg

The clothing does look 1950s but is more in line with what the family member remembers. I don't know where the exact post is where she describes the photo but I seem to recall her saying the child in question had a shy pose and stood with a posture that reminded them of Betty. One of the girls in this latest photo is standing shyly.

I still think something is wrong with either Mr Sodder's letter or with the memory of the photo. The date, the magazine name, and the photo supposed to be in it just don't match up.

The new picture looks more promising to me than all the polished posed ballet school pictures.

Fingers crossed it leads somewhere although how to link this picture back to a place or time? Good work everyone!

Ok I need to edit my previous post. She did not say that this was NOT the photo, only that she had never seen this photo. Her exact comments were "Betty was exquisitely crippling shy...much more so than the other children". And she didn't think any of these girls poses showed a very shy child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a place you can see the picture of the girl she thought was her daughter..And then show me a pic of the daughter she thought it was..like maybe a side by side of the 2 different girls so i can compare the too pictures...

Is there a place you can see the picture of the girl she thought was her daughter..And then show me a pic of the daughter she thought it was..like maybe a side by side of the 2 different girls so i can compare the too pictures...

We do not have the picture of the girl that Mr Sodder thought was his daughter. We just have a description from what the youngest Sodder sibling has in her memory. We've tried to find this picture to no avail.

I still can't figure out why there is no picture that matches from the magazine edition mentioned in Mr. Sodder's letter. I am still wondering if he ever possessed the entire magazine or if somebody gave it to him. How could he possibly have gotten the magazine wrong? This is why I wonder if somebody gave him the picture and told him that was the magazine and the issue but this was incorrect?

I wish there were more pictures of the children available (aside from the ones on the billboard) to compare these other pictures to.

That's a possibility dog person. Has anyone purchased this actual magazine and gone through every page?

I was thinking somebody either purchased one or found one in a library archive or something like that. There was no such photo as the one described.

This case really intrigues me. I don't believe they perished either in the fire. I think not only because no remains at all were found, but their mother's instinct. I tried searching for ballet pictures too and nothing matches up. He may have been mistaken, or mixed up with dates. For all we know, maybe he got a tip regarding that school and sent in some random picture or something to just be able to ask questions to the school.

I think the fire was started purposely, but am also confused on the children not making much noise if being taken away. Unless several people snuck in with the missing ladder used and had each child at gunpoint, quietly exiting. I do wonder if they were somehow sent to Italy and if the family knew the people who kidnapped them. I kept wondering, as much as this case was probably broadcast, someone in the states would have had to recognized the children (if kept alive) here. So maybe the Italy theory is correct, because it would be much more harder to locate children out of the states.

I truly hope the family gets the answers soon.

Originally Posted by Shadow205
I need help researching and trying to find an old magazine. You will remember mentioned that George Sodder saw a picture of a young girl in a magazine that he beleived was Betty. He traveled to New York in an attempt to identify the girl but was not allowed to see her. Here is the letter that he wrote to the school;

Walt Whitman School
25 East 78th Street
New York, NY
Attn: Miss Louise Krueger, Director

Dear Miss Krueger:

The enclosed picture of several of your students appearing in the May 14, 1946, edition of LOOK magazine is self-explanatory.

For your information, the little girl to which the arrow points quite definitely resembles one of our children who disappeared during the latter part of 1945, and I shall appreciate it greatly if you will, at your earliest convenience, favor me with the following information:

1. Her name
2. The date of her enrollment
3. Any further information you may feel at liberty to supply.

Needless to say, your cooperation in this matter will be more than appreciated.

Yours very truly,

George Sodder
According to Jennie(Granddaughter) it is not known if he received a reply to the letter or not. She thought that she located the correct magazine and purchased it but the picture that she was looking for was not in it. So, evidently there was a mistake on which issue the picture appeared in. Anyone that would like to help could search for anything to do with the school, classmates.com, reunion sites, any place where we might find pictures of students from that time period, any info on "Ms.Krueger".

Any ideas on where we might go with this information?

Jennie also said: My mom remembers the picture showing little girls lined up at a ballet class.
I found a site that lists old issues of Look Magazine and describes some of the topics featured in them:

http://www.pastpaper.com/List-Look40s.htm

The February 5, 1946 issue lists "Ballet Fashion Show". Not sure if that is what we are looking for. I find it hard to believe that Mr. Sodder would get the date of the magazine wrong. Perhaps the magazine has pages missing from it?

ALSO
Copied over from #2 thread...

I found this posted in thread one, but I can't get it to open...anyone?

This is a corrected link: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wvrcbiog/WhatReallyHappenedToChildrena.html

There is also now a facebook page that seems to be getting some attention.

Louise Krueger, the director of the Walt Whitman School mentioned in this thread and to whom the letter was addressed, is deceased and has been for more than 40 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenJoy
Back