Germany/Portugal - Christian Brueckner, 27 @ time of 1st crime (2004), charged with sexual assault crimes, Praia de Rocha, Portugal. #3

Bizarre or just the Defence doing the professional job it's hired to do? If it turns out that HeB's account in 2017 is more or less the same account he recently gave in court, than that's a good result for the prosecution. Wouldn't you welcome that?

If, on the other hand, HeB's statement in his 2017 interview with SY's DC Mark Draycott differs significantly from what he's said in court, then you should welcome that too since it's all part of the justice process.

Because we're here for justice to be served, right?
It seemed bizarre because MM is not relevant to the 5 cases charged. If it was a jury trial the issue would be deemed prejudicial.

But less bizarre now I understand that the Defence are using it to attack HB’s credibility.

The Defence will claim that the reward in the MM case is a motivating incentive for HB to
Bizarre or just the Defence doing the professional job it's hired to do? If it turns out that HeB's account in 2017 is more or less the same account he recently gave in court, than that's a good result for the prosecution. Wouldn't you welcome that?

If, on the other hand, HeB's statement in his 2017 interview with SY's DC Mark Draycott differs significantly from what he's said in court, then you should welcome that too since it's all part of the justice process.

Because we're here for justice to be served, right?
It seemed bizarre because MM is not relevant to the 5 cases charged. If it was a jury trial the issue would be deemed prejudicial.

But less bizarre now I understand that the Defence are using it to attack HB’s credibility.

In addition to inconsistencies, the Defence will claim that the reward in the MM case is a motivating incentive for HB to inform on CB re all crimes.

The Defence will claim that the reward in the MM case is a motivating incentive for HB to

In addition to inconsistencies, the Defence will claim that the reward in the MM case is a motivating incentive for HB to inform on CB re all crimes.
If HeBs evidence is sound then that will win out.

Money isn't much good to a dying man though

to be fair he didnt know til a few weeks ago he was dieing but in any event I thought he didnt want the reward?
I have no idea about the reward money, it wasn't me that brought it up, I just said it wasn't much use to a dying man

I have no idea about the reward money, it wasn't me that brought it up, I just said it wasn't much use to a dying man
But despite full knowledge of his prognosis it seems he is still standing by the testimony he has given to the court.

According to JC these will be heard this week.(Link above)

The trial continues this week with evidence from a former biker and tattoo artist and his girlfriend, who ran a holiday rental business in Santa Clara an hour inland from the Algarve.

It was an excruciating cross examination and he didn’t let up, leaving the girl in floods of tears.
Judge Doctor Lindemann did her best to soften the grilling and it broadly succeeded with the witness giving a good, honest impression in most observers’ eyes.

At least two other Portuguese teenagers and their parents are set to give evidence about the night at the annual Snail Festival over the forthcoming weeks.
Despite the master class given by the defence on how men urinate, the witness stood up to FF's badgering illustrating how grossly FF conducted his interrogation of her and how bravely she responded.

Interestingly she also identified CB as the assailant in a fleeting long shot of the court proceedings.

His reporting is so biased, I can’t take anything he writes seriously.
I disagree with that assessment.

A witness who testified that the suspect CB was the man who had exposed his genitals in a sexual act in front of her and a group of children when she was eleven gave her evidence to the court.

It had been a traumatic event at the time made no easier for her retelling of it in court.

Did the accused smirk during his lawyer's interrogation describing FF's explanation of how men urinate?
Did the witnesses father disclose how that suggestion was dismissed at the time?

As the only report I have seen describing the events happening in court at this trial JC is performing the function of disseminating information as a journalist should.
My opinion

His reporting is so biased, I can’t take anything he writes seriously.

It's painful to read, every well-worn cliche employed at every opportunity, never failing to create sensation when none is necessary. Objective, intelligent quality reporting is it not.

That said, I think FF is on a hiding to nothing here as far as the CB's guilt in the two child cases is concerned. Actual witnesses, actual victim testimony and CB's own history combined make it unlikely that he'll escape a conviction here. JMO.

It's painful to read, every well-worn cliche employed at every opportunity, never failing to create sensation when none is necessary. Objective, intelligent quality reporting is it not.

That said, I think FF is on a hiding to nothing here as far as the CB's guilt in the two child cases is concerned. Actual witnesses, actual victim testimony and CB's own history combined make it unlikely that he'll escape a conviction here. JMO.
According to JC's court report there will be other testimonies from other witnesses to the playground incident involving CB over the next few weeks.

Wow ... that certainly is a leisurely and different way of doing things if true.

With reference to CB's own history it is worth considering that his arrest on this occasion for indecency in front minors resulted in him being exposed as being sought under an European Arrest Warrant for other heinous actions involving offences in Germany for which he was subsequently found guilty at trial.

For a person who seems incapable of sexual restraint given the extended period covered by his activities, he has very few actual convictions.
My opinion

I disagree with that assessment.

A witness who testified that the suspect CB was the man who had exposed his genitals in a sexual act in front of her and a group of children when she was eleven gave her evidence to the court.

It had been a traumatic event at the time made no easier for her retelling of it in court.

Did the accused smirk during his lawyer's interrogation describing FF's explanation of how men urinate?
Did the witnesses father disclose how that suggestion was dismissed at the time?

As the only report I have seen describing the events happening in court at this trial JC is performing the function of disseminating information as a journalist should.
My opinion
We can disagree. It barely qualifies as reporting in my opinion as everything he writes is so clearly tainted by what he thinks about CB and the case.

Last edited:
According to JC's court report there will be other testimonies from other witnesses to the playground incident involving CB over the next few weeks.

Wow ... that certainly is a leisurely and different way of doing things if true.

With reference to CB's own history it is worth considering that his arrest on this occasion for indecency in front minors resulted in him being exposed as being sought under an European Arrest Warrant for other heinous actions involving offences in Germany for which he was subsequently found guilty at trial.

For a person who seems incapable of sexual restraint given the extended period covered by his activities, he has very few actual convictions.
My opinion
I think this is the most clear cut of the current charges but FF has to try something and what other possible defence could he use.

According to the Olive Press the incident took place after midnight. Is this correct?
If so, how well lit would the playground area have been ?

Last edited:
JC writes it down as exclusive, are there no other reporters in court then? Mind the German articule behind the paywall talks of mostly foreign interest, I guess thats only because of the MM angle.

We can disagree. It barely qualifies as reporting in my opinion as everything he writes is so clearly tainted by what he thinks about CB and the case.
The main focus of my attention as regards journalistic endeavour is the veracity of the reporting.

As with no other, the MM case has been peopled by those characters wearing light hats and those wearing dark ones dependent on the bias one cares to to adopt.
My opinion.

This trial is an easy one to gauge given the nature of the alleged offences of a sexual nature under discussion. What I find difficult is the difference between the German system of reporting proceedings and ours in such a case. Particularly as none can let go of the MM case least of all CB's defence team

A former British based journalist like JC ticks the boxes to fill the gaps between one process and t'other.
My opinion

JC writes it down as exclusive, are there no other reporters in court then? Mind the German articule behind the paywall talks of mostly foreign interest, I guess thats only because of the MM angle.

He calls everything he writes an exclusive! But you make a good point re the reporting. At this stage, I can't see it taking up much space in Germany as, let's face it, it's not remotely a trial that would generate local let alone national headlines. It's just a case amongst many others taking place across Germany's courts. The only thing that's keeping it in the news at all is the tenuous link to MM, which brings us back to JC and the doggedness with which he tries to link the two in order to generate/maintain interest.

The coverage may increase when it comes to HaB (UK/Irish press interest) but until then, it's just a grubby little case amongst many that no one other than those personally involved are interested in.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back