Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if anyone else is curious about this. I apologize if it has already been discussed.

According to the Bail Application for Heuermann:

Female human hairs were recovered from victims Brainard-Barnes, Waterman, and Costello. The hairs did not belong to any of the victims. Forensic Lab 2 concluded that "the DNA sample recovered from bottles outside of the residence of Defendant Heuermann (i.e. Heuermann's wife) and the Female Hair on Costello indicates that the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) profiles are the same at all compared positions ... as per EMPOP database, [and would] exclude 99.98% of the North American population from the Female Hair on Costello." Forensic Lab 2 also compared "the profile associated with the DNA sample from Heuermann's wife to one of the two female hairs recovered on the remains of Waterman." Lab 2 again concluded that the mitochondrial DNA profiles are the same, and would exclude 99.69% of the North American population. However, "it is significant that RH's wife cannot be excluded from from either the female hairs recovered on the remains of Waterman and Costello."

Although she was out of the state during the disappearance and murder of both Waterman and Costello, and therefore appears not to be involved, the Bail Application states that it remains undetermined whether Defendant Heuermann's wife was out-of-state during Brainard-Barnes' disappearance and murder. The hair found on a restraint used on Brainard-Barnes and the hairs found on Waterman and Costello each belonged to a female in mitochondrial haplogroup K1c2. However, many females (and males) of European descent belong to this haplogroup. There is no mention made of any additional mtDNA analysis being done on the Brainard-Barnes' hair by Lab 2 as there was on the hairs found on Waterman and Costello.

I know that PCAs do not have to reveal every bit of evidence and analysis, but this seems to me to be an obvious omission from the Bail Application.

Since Heuermann's wife may not be able to produce documentation for an alibi proving she was out of the state during Barnes' disappearance and murder, is law enforcement somehow trying to squeeze info from her by hanging this over her head? It would go something like this: we are trying to protect you because we don't think that you were involved so we therefore did not reveal that mtDNA analysis on the Barnes' hair shows it most likely belongs to you just like the other hairs found on the other victims. In exchange for this favor, of not letting public opinion run wild with the thought that it's your hair and you can't prove you were not there since the records/evidence no longer exists, we need you to cooperate and tell us every single thing you know about your husband's activities since you first met him. She cannot be made to testify against him in a court since they are married, but it would be a pretty slick ploy by law enforcement to get lots of info about his comings and goings.

Is anybody else thinking this way? Or, am I way off here?
Very good observation. I read thru that pretty fast I completely missed that she can't be shown to have been away during the time Barnes went missing.

I am wondering if anyone else is curious about this. I apologize if it has already been discussed.

According to the Bail Application for Heuermann:

Female human hairs were recovered from victims Brainard-Barnes, Waterman, and Costello. The hairs did not belong to any of the victims. Forensic Lab 2 concluded that "the DNA sample recovered from bottles outside of the residence of Defendant Heuermann (i.e. Heuermann's wife) and the Female Hair on Costello indicates that the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) profiles are the same at all compared positions ... as per EMPOP database, [and would] exclude 99.98% of the North American population from the Female Hair on Costello." Forensic Lab 2 also compared "the profile associated with the DNA sample from Heuermann's wife to one of the two female hairs recovered on the remains of Waterman." Lab 2 again concluded that the mitochondrial DNA profiles are the same, and would exclude 99.69% of the North American population. However, "it is significant that RH's wife cannot be excluded from from either the female hairs recovered on the remains of Waterman and Costello."

Although she was out of the state during the disappearance and murder of both Waterman and Costello, and therefore appears not to be involved, the Bail Application states that it remains undetermined whether Defendant Heuermann's wife was out-of-state during Brainard-Barnes' disappearance and murder. The hair found on a restraint used on Brainard-Barnes and the hairs found on Waterman and Costello each belonged to a female in mitochondrial haplogroup K1c2. However, many females (and males) of European descent belong to this haplogroup. There is no mention made of any additional mtDNA analysis being done on the. Brainard-Barnes' hair by Lab 2 as there was on the hairs found on Waterman and Costello.

I know that PCAs do not have to reveal every bit of evidence and analysis, but this seems to me to be an obvious omission from the Bail Application.

Since Heuermann's wife may not be able to produce documentation for an alibi proving she was out of the state during Barnes' disappearance and murder, is law enforcement somehow trying to squeeze info from her by hanging this over her head? It would go something like this: we are trying to protect you because we don't think that you were involved so we therefore did not reveal that mtDNA analysis on the Barnes' hair shows it most likely belongs to you just like the other hairs found on the other victims. In exchange for this favor, of not letting public opinion run wild with the thought that it's your hair and you can't prove you were not there since the records/evidence no longer exists, we need you to cooperate and tell us every single thing you know about your husband's activities since you first met him. She cannot be made to testify against him in a court since they are married, but it would be a pretty slick ploy by law enforcement to get lots of info about his comings and goings.

Is anybody else thinking this way? Or, am I way off here?
LE already confirmed she was out of the country and area for charged crimes. It helps link him to the crime....her hairs were probably just from burlap being in house/car

Maybe, it was high time for RH's arrest:

A young Long Island woman revealed Friday that she had a disturbing encounter with Heuermann earlier this month in a park — and that she was so shaken, she filed a police report.

ETA (I missed it before, sorry):

But officials admitted Friday they swooped in on the suspect this week due to fears he would strike again, leading them to decide it was time to 'take him off the street.'

'As we worked through the case and got closer and closer, suddenly the balance tips in favor of public safety,' said Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney.

Tierney cited a number of unsettling pieces of evidence, saying that Heuermann 'continued to patronize sex workers,' was using false IDs and burner phones, and had permits for an astonishing 92 firearms.
So LE/FBI tracked him to meet sex workers, what exactly would they have done if he killed another woman on their watch?
yikes...

Curious how they caption the pic of the back yard as being "run down" when it's actually a very active garden.

It makes me wonder who the gardener is in the family, since I see 2 greenhouses (one still in use as a greenhouse), some very healthy corn, some squash, cucumbers, tomatoes and what also look like beans. Some cold frames, trellises and raised beds and a variety of pots, pest fencing, bamboo stakes, etc.

I hope it was his wife's garden and not his. Maybe it sounds weird but serial killers don't deserve to also have a green thumb and a thriving garden.

jmo
Agreed, @Ontario Mom! Serial killers don't deserve to also have a green thumb and a thriving garden. Come to think of it, they don't even deserve thumbs. Maybe that would slow them down!

So LE/FBI tracked him to meet sex workers, what exactly would they have done if he killed another woman on their watch?
yikes...
I was wondering about this. Possibly LE could have made their presence known for the purpose to ’arrest’ the girl. Just to get her to safety. Ignoring RH.
What could they do?

Is it my understanding that RH and his wife have been married 22 years? Is the split between the method of disposal between the gilgo four and the other victims right around that 22 years ago mark? Victims prior to their marriage disposed of more crudely with the dismemberment etc, and victims after their marriage more carefully wrapped and disposed of in the burlap. Also while they were married and living together but she was out of town… Noting her hair is present in the burlap, but no mention (so far) of such evidence in the plastic bags or containers the late 90s-2000. A single man living alone in that house has all the time in the world to clean up after a dismemberment, but with a wife out of town it would be too risky to make such a depraved mess in such a short amount of time to clean up, hence the new disposal method.

Interesting given that there is a theory the victims fit the profile of people in his life he could not kill. At one point was he wanting to murder his daughter and wife and that is why he chose peaches and her daughter?

His poor wife. I don’t doubt she experienced abuse. And his daughter. We must remember he was also interested in child SA. They probably know he was a demon, just never could have imagined the levels his depravity went to. Denial is a powerful thought process.

Knowing what we know now, does anyone think he killed both Peaches AND Cherries UID Jane Does?

On March 3, 2007, a dismembered torso was found in a suitcase in Harbor Island Park in Mamaroneck, Westchester County, New York.[8] Investigators believe the victim was a heavy-set Hispanic or Light-skinned African-American woman, about five feet seven inches tall, and 180 to 200 pounds. She had a tattoo of two red cherries on a green stem located on her right breast.[9] "Cherries" (as she is referred to by law enforcement) was also decapitated and dismembered, although her original cause of death was a stab wound to the torso.[10] Unlike Peaches, investigators found both of Cherries' legs, which washed up on the shore of Cablevision owner James Dolan's beachfront estate in Oyster Bay, New York. Inside the suitcase investigators found a pair of gray Champion sweat pants, a tan or cream-colored long-sleeved shirt by Voice and a red camisole bearing Spanish-language labels. The dark blue or black suitcase is sold exclusively at WalMart stores. Police also found small scraps of paper tucked away in the crevices of the suitcase. When pieced together, it looks like a calendar with the Spanish word "cinco" and the phrase "begin to live." Police claim that since the torso floated onto the beach as storm-fed floods hit the region, it could have originated from almost anywhere.[11][12]

Posting the UID potentially associated with LISK
1047UFNY (identified?! am i out of the loop?)

Last edited:
I was wondering about this. Possibly LE could have made their presence known for the purpose to ’arrest’ the girl. Just to get her to safety. Ignoring RH.
What could they do?
They are lucky he didn’t murder his own wife and daughter. It would be nerve racking seeing the women he had access to knowing what he could do to them I’m sure.

Knowing what we know now, does anyone think he killed both Peaches AND Cherries UID Jane Does?

On March 3, 2007, a dismembered torso was found in a suitcase in Harbor Island Park in Mamaroneck, Westchester County, New York.[8] Investigators believe the victim was a heavy-set Hispanic or Light-skinned African-American woman, about five feet seven inches tall, and 180 to 200 pounds. She had a tattoo of two red cherries on a green stem located on her right breast.[9] "Cherries" (as she is referred to by law enforcement) was also decapitated and dismembered, although her original cause of death was a stab wound to the torso.[10] Unlike Peaches, investigators found both of Cherries' legs, which washed up on the shore of Cablevision owner James Dolan's beachfront estate in Oyster Bay, New York. Inside the suitcase investigators found a pair of gray Champion sweat pants, a tan or cream-colored long-sleeved shirt by Voice and a red camisole bearing Spanish-language labels. The dark blue or black suitcase is sold exclusively at WalMart stores. Police also found small scraps of paper tucked away in the crevices of the suitcase. When pieced together, it looks like a calendar with the Spanish word "cinco" and the phrase "begin to live." Police claim that since the torso floated onto the beach as storm-fed floods hit the region, it could have originated from almost anywhere.[11][12]
Many people have surmised along with LE that they might be his victims. There is no proof yet unfortunately.

My opinion only, Suffolk County administration was all kinds of messed up at that time, and there's debate over how clean their hands are now. I don't put much my count on anything that was said back then. OMOO
Absolutely! The gang task force was curiously disbanded in Suffolk county when this case happened bc there are suspicions SCP had dirty hands with local gangs involving trafficking of many types. Keep in mind sex work is a form of trafficking. I suspect Suffolk feared the LISK case by proxy would shed light on all of their misconduct and tyranny.

Interesting given that there is a theory the victims fit the profile of people in his life he could not kill. At one point was he wanting to murder his daughter and wife and that is why he chose peaches and her daughter?

His poor wife. I don’t doubt she experienced abuse. And his daughter. We must remember he was also interested in child SA. They probably know he was a demon, just never could have imagined the levels his depravity went to. Denial is a powerful thought process.
He was googling "redheaded teen". His daughter has red hair. I'm gonna puke

Absolutely! The gang task force was curiously disbanded in Suffolk county when this case happened bc there are suspicions SCP had dirty hands with local gangs involving trafficking of many types. Keep in mind sex work is a form of trafficking. I suspect Suffolk feared the LISK case by proxy would shed light on all of their misconduct and tyranny.
Not all sex work, but some, yes.

Being more visual, I need to study what I see. Still wondering if he wears a wig. Just looks odd on that one side where I put red dots. As an astute member here pointed out, sometimes it's straight other times curly.View attachment 434905 ...View attachment 434906 None of his hair was left at the scenes, just his wife's?

MOO, he is so full of himself in this video. He has the nerve to brag he knows all about old city codes, etc., and he keeps his house like a dump. This is from the interview Just my own perception as I study this monster. Wears a wedding band. He does use his hands a lot to express himself. His fingers are slender and his hands looks more delicate than to be on his lumbering big body. Pics of his hands from the video interview.
View attachment 434908View attachment 434902
View attachment 434899View attachment 434900

The picture of the belt here was very helpful to see, so bringing it forward.

View attachment 434903

It looks like he wore a straight toupee and his real hair is thin and curly underneath. I doubt they would allow him to wear a toupee in a mugshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
binkbiff13