Identified! Greece - LIVING 4 year old, with Roma couple, Oct'13 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope Maria will have some type of stabilization in her life with love, caring & attention. Nothing else but that.

I can't help but wonder how this will play out, legally. Maria was born in Greece. Does that mean Greece will retain jurisdiction? Or will Bulgaria because bio-Mom resides in Bulgaria? Or, because both families are Roma, are there additional considerations legally, such as neither being considered a legal resident of their respective countries? Both families have legal charges pending. Both have issues with the 'fathers' (one charged/tried? for armed robbery and the other 'mental illness'). Is Bulgaria Dad the proven bio-Dad?
The video posted up thread with bio-Mom, husband, and two young kids was hard to watch. 'Dad' seemed more interested in some schmutz on his pant leg than helping with the squalling, scared kids. The blonde child clearly has an eye problem (common w/albinism). It's all so tough to fathom. For me.

I think it has been said in the media that both were tested. I think that for a conclusive test you would need both. You can read a basic explanation of how it is done DNA profiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The CNN video is interesting.

She says first:

"A woman came to me and said she was Bulgarian not Greek. She told me if I wanted she would take care of my baby and that I could come back and collect her later," Ruseva said.

Then later:

"I have no clue what her name was. I did not ask and she did not say. That woman said leave your girl here and I'll take care of like I was her mother. I trusted her," Ruseva said.

What parent in a foreign country hands their baby over to a stranger they just met will working transiently without even asking their name? How did she expect to be able to find this women again when she wanted the baby back later on? That is not very credible.

She also claims to have no idea who the Greek couple are. They on the other hand are insistent they did meet the "parents". But they didn't know the mother's name, other than that she was a Bulgarian prostitute, while they did identify the "father"s name (except of course he was no longer to be found).

So, giving everyone some benefit of doubt and assuming that what they are saying has a kernel of truth, from that we should conclude that there are more people involved here, an unidentified blonde Bulgarian woman who received Maria, and "Michaelis" who delivered her to the Greek couple?

LE have their work cut out for them - more arrests are needed!

If the lady in the video of Maria learning the dance as a toddler was the adoptive mom, then she most likely had her from the beginning. She looks like a proud smiling mom, and the bio mom already stated that she recognized this woman on tv. There has to be aunts and maybe a still living MIL that Maria could stay with in Greece. If Greece or Bulgaria allows family of non Roma to care for kids then they should try to find a relative to care for her. One that is not so poor they have no food or clothes. The thing of Roma taking in other Roma kids could simply be their form of foster care because of poverty. No way do I believe that the little terrified crying skinny bio mom kept having a bunch of kids just to sell for money.

How could bio mom have possibly recognized the "adoptive" mom on TV? Bio mom claimed she handed the child to some blond woman, and never met either of the "adoptive" parents.

Heartbreaking story all around. This woman 's story has the ring of truth imo.
Wish her husband would lift a hand to help with those crying children while the birth mom, tries to give a tv interview. he looks very well fed. imo.

She claims she handed the child off to someone she met on the street and whose name she didn't know. If that story is true, how is that any better than selling a child into a child adoption ring? Even with kittens and puppies, people are warned not to give them away for free to someone they don't know.

Child was never in Bulgaria to begin with. She was born in Greece. Doesn't it make her a Greek citizen?

LOL I knew you would see that. :seeya: I had the same thought. How could a country that truly has no legal claim to a person request their return? I can understand greece wanting to distance themselves from the negative publicity. But that is there and I am not sure how all their laws work. Sad situation for all, especially the kids.

Cannot believe theres even a remote chance of maria going back to her bio mother.. im horrified.
Shes nothing more than a money earner now.im so worried for her.

She claims she handed the child off to someone she met on the street and whose name she didn't know. If that story is true, how is that any better than selling a child into a child adoption ring? Even with kittens and puppies, people are warned not to give them away for free to someone they don't know.

But she knew the phone number and called several times to check :scared:... Can not remember the name but a phone number yes...

Child was never in Bulgaria to begin with. She was born in Greece. Doesn't it make her a Greek citizen?

No, a child born in Greece inherits its parents' citizenship. The child is not Greek simply by being born in Greece. The US is pretty much the only place in the world that still does that. If her parents are Bulgarian, then she is Bulgarian- at least in the eyes of Greek law. I know the Roma have their own "laws".

Roma pair held for Maria's 'abduction' seek release from jail

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_29/10/2013_525308

Bulgaria’s child protection agency said on Tuesday that it would seek Maria’s return even as Greece insists that its public prosecutor for minors will decide on the girl’s fate.

It's appears to be a tug-of-war at this time. jmo

If I were Greek prosecutor, I wouldn't return her either. I mean, bio mom claims she gave up the child to some strange woman she met on the street, without even asking that woman's name. Surely, this bio mom doesn't deserve to have the child back. Ludicrous that this is even suggested as a possibility, IMO.

Roma pair held for Maria's 'abduction' seek release from jail

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_29/10/2013_525308

Bulgaria’s child protection agency said on Tuesday that it would seek Maria’s return even as Greece insists that its public prosecutor for minors will decide on the girl’s fate.

It's appears to be a tug-of-war at this time. jmo

Rbbm.

This play comes to mind ..

The Caucasian Chalk Circle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, a child born in Greece inherits its parents' citizenship. The child is not Greek simply by being born in Greece. The US is pretty much the only place in the world that still does that. If her parents are Bulgarian, then she is Bulgarian- at least in the eyes of Greek law. I know the Roma have their own "laws".

Citizenship in Greece is automatic for children born to Greek citizens and people who have lived legally in Greece for five years. Most European countries have similar citizenship laws.

In this case Maria did not have Greek parents, and her real parents were Bulgarians working temporarily in Greece. I doubt they met the 5 year rule, so that would normally mean that she would not be entitled to Greek citizenship.

BUT, I think she is in a sort of grey area since she had lived her entire life in Greece, mostly under the care of Greek citizens it would seem. I don't think the law really addresses that situation. If she is the victim of Greeks in Greece, does Greece have a moral right to pack her off to another country when they find out? So they might decide she is Greek. Or they might not, in which case she would probably be sent back to Bulgaria.

Sending her back to Bulgaria will be a culture shock, since she doesn't understand Bulgarian or Turkish (the language her sperm/egg donors apparently speak). So I think under the circumstances the Greeks might keep her.

Bulgarian mother of 'Maria' has FIVE of her other NINE children taken into care

Sasha Ruseva, 35, proved to be biological mother of four-year-old
Ruseva has been moved to social housing with her two youngest children
Says she now wants Maria to live with her
Maria is currently being cared for by Smile Of The Child Charity in Athens
Greek Roma couple with whom Maria was found have been charged

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2479775/Bulgarian-mother-Maria-children-taken-care.html

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2013/10/30/21233071.html
bbm.
"Bulgaria takes 7 of Roma girl's brothers and sisters into care"

"Ruseva and her husband, both Bulgarian Roma, have nine other children aged between 2 and 20 and live in deep poverty, occupying one room in a crumbling house in the town of Nikolaevo, 280 km (170 miles) east of Sofia.

TV footage that showed the children in shabby clothes sleeping on a mud floor and speaking little Bulgarian caused public outrage.

“We decided to accommodate four of the kids with foster families,” Diana Kaneva, head of the agency for social assistance in the area, told Reuters on Wednesday.

“Two children will be sent to a state institution and one will be placed with relatives of the family,” she said, adding that the measures were temporary and contacts between children and their parents would be encouraged by the social workers.

Two other children are over 18 and not subject to state protection".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aegon_the_Conqueror