Guy with blue shirt - red stripes on sleeves

I don't think the boy in the picture is Scott Fandel, either, but how can you tell what color his eyes are? They're pretty squinty. And sometimes blue eyes look darker in a photo.

The boy in the Alcala pic appears to have a significant scar above his top lip where he has missing teeth on that side. One would think that a family member of this young man would recognize him by the scar and missing teeth immediately.

I wonder if the records of boys homes (foster care, orphanages etc) near where Alcala lived have been checked for missing boys who may not have been reported missing.

FWIW, I think Derrans chin and nose are different than the Alcala pic. I also think that Scott Fandel looks similar to the subject in the Alcala picture.

Does anyone think the first photo linked below (photo of boy/Native print curtain background- photo also seized by LE) looks like the same child in the other photo?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2011323273/28.html

2011323469.jpg

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2011323273/61.html

If a victim was a runaway he might have been missing for a while before meeting Alcala. But still, this might not be a match because of the missing moles. And I dunno but the bike boy strikes me as younger than Brian Page. How old do you all think he is?

Brian Page has a scar on his left arm according to his missing kids page.
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US
NCMC866734c1.jpg

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2011323273/31.html
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

The bike boy seems to me to have a scar or a scratch on his arm here http://cnnnancygrace.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/01591.jpg
but that would be the right arm unless the photo is reversed.

He holds his hands funny.
I see this as a possible match.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2011323273/31.html

photo 78 shows Alcala holding a child in a white dress is this the same child as in the 2 photos as Fannel. teeth look the same

Could his bike have belonged to Phillip Montoya who might be the "boy sitting with native American Print bckground." Charley project says Montoya left his bike chained to the school.

This kids with the missing teeth wearing the stripe shirt looks disabled/ mentally challenged. Maybe Alcala picked up Montoya and promised to give Montoya a ride to pick up the bike at school. RA gave Montoya free room and board, killed him, and gave this bike to this boy

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/04/21/alcala.photos.pdf

PIC 160--- looks like this boy in--- PIC 171

It looks like he's dressed as a female in PIC 160. He's wearing a wig or has a new do.

Facial mole is in the same place

PIC 160 --I can't see the teeth area clearly. Boy in pic 171 has teeth missing in same area.

PIC 165--- there is a chin mole but that could just be a blemish from a pimple because some pic don't show this mole.

These two could also be related as I think there is a strong resemblance.

Does anybody besides me think that this boy in the Alcala pics has on make-up?

It looks like he has on eye liner and lipstick. We know Alcala liked to have the women he photographed wear make-up. He even took pics of them applying it.

His eye brows do look a whole lot darker than his natural color, as if mascara was used to darken them instead of eye brow pencil that matched the original eye brow color.

I am thinking that those "moles" we see might possibly even be a couple of pimples Alcala tried to disguise as moles.

Maybe we should look again at everybody in his picture stash that appears to have moles???

I ran across this flyer for Linda St. Germaine and it brought me back here to compare the images. No, I don't think the Alcala pic boy is St. Germaine but here is her picture anyway.
Alcala was incarcerated when St. Germaine went missing anyway.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...seNum=1171686&orgPrefix=NCMC&searchLang=en_US

Found this Denise Sheehy case today and the she reminds me of the guy in the Alcala pic here. Sheehy was 16 though and would have had breasts, while we know the boy in the Alcala pics is definitely male and flat chested. I think I noticed the eyes and the missing teeth both have and that is what caused me to look harder. I even tried comparing moles but Sheehy's pic looks like it has been retouched, there does appear to be some similarities in the mole locations. Anyway, it just goes to show that I have been looking at these Alcala pics too long and too hard, but I wanted to at least note this here. They look enough alike they could easily pass for siblings. Sheehy is missing teeth on the top right according to the dental charts at NamUs for her but her image seems to show missing teeth on the upper left just like the guy in the Alcala pic here. The chins are very different as well. All just coincidence, I am sure.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/woman-awaits-reunion-sister-missing-1970-article-1.1338795

Although, Sheehy did go missing in 1970 and Alcala was in NY then so that part does fit.

This group of pictures really haunted me at first. However I now think this kid was not a victim, that he knows about the Alcala case, and he has probably seen his own photo online but prefers not to make himself known. I think he was a smart, savvy kid from a secure home, with a comfortably-off family and good peer group status, that he lived not far from RA, and that RA knew or had at least met his parents.

I realise this is a bold claim to base on a few scant photos but I think the evidence is there. The fact that RA was the photographer might at first suggest an awkward, vulnerable adolescent stopped on the street, but this does not look like a runaway or a boy from a poor family. The jeans and shirt have some wear but they fit him well and look good quality. They appear clean, so does he, and his hair is not cut just anyhow but is well styled for the era. He has a cool, expensive bike. How he got the broken teeth - which he's trying not to show - I have no idea, but he isn't from some breadline family. He doesn't look more than 15 but he's got clear lovebites on his neck, which at least one of his parents must have spotted. Since they evidently took good care of him, it is doubtful they let him slide into the clutches of a male abuser, and since being openly gay in that time and at his age was extremely unlikely, he must have got them from his girlfriend. Inept and mentally-challenged teenage boys don't tend to have those.

I see no sign of fear or apprehension. I don't think the awkward pose is because he's gauche, naive, whatever. He probably just wasn't interested in being photographed, maybe he was self-conscious about the missing teeth, but it was a case of ok, go on then and take your photos if you really must. He's not particularly enjoying the situation but he's not that bothered by it either.

The bike is on grass, a few feet from a house and no sign of any tarmac. Either the house is right on the road or RA has got him him to carry his bike onto someone's front garden. Assuming these to be unlikely, he is either in RA's own garden, someone else's, or his own. If RA was living with his mother and intended foul play, he was unlikely to risk luring the boy there in broad daylight, and anyway this particular boy is probably too streetwise to fall for that . A stranger's house seems even less likely.

I infer from all this that the boy was not a random encounter but was known to RA through normal social channels. He's the son of friends, relatives or someone RA had dealings with, and RA has photographed him at his own home. The boy would have preferred not, but RA was a guest and it was impolite to refuse. He will be almost certainly aware of the Alcala case, as even if he didn't know who RA was, his parents must have done and they will have told him. People who've met a serial killer will normally take an interest in the case and follow its progress. If he's done that, he must know about the photos, but he hasn't come forward so he doesn't want to be associated with the case or be questioned about it. Maybe he just doesn't want to get involved. Maybe he has even seen this thread.

Can anyone provide a high res picture of the bike? The writing on the frame might be decipherable. A first name, middle initial and the beginning of a last name look fairly clear already, unless this is the title of a bike edition. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much online about the history of the Omega cycle company.

I very much hope that I'm right and that this kid (= this 50ish year old man) is alive and well. It would be great to have confirmation of that but we'll probably never know.

The photo of the writing on the bike frame in post 20 has been flipped. Here it is the right way round:
Blue shirt boy bike logo .jpg
This looks too untidily done to be a special edition bike logo, plus there is something similar on the front forks that's been crossed out. I can't think what else it might be other than his name. The first letter looks like an H or an N. It's frustratingly close to being readable and might even be so with the right SW and a better-quality image.

I found another photo of this kid here, which I haven't seen anywhere else. If it's cropped and the full photo shows his bike, the writing might be decipherable. In case the link goes down, here is the photo:
Blue shirt boy new.jpg
It looks from this as if he's at the corner of his house. A fuller shot might give more clues.

Does anyone think the first photo linked below (photo of boy/Native print curtain background- photo also seized by LE) looks like the same child in the other photo?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2011323273/28.html

2011323469.jpg

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2011323273/61.html

I came across this John Doe that was found in Long Beach California on June 3 1978 has not been identified but seems to look like the Bicycle kid to me. If someone has posted him already sorry. But I thought it was worth a shot. http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMU/1184172

This group of pictures really haunted me at first. However I now think this kid was not a victim, that he knows about the Alcala case, and he has probably seen his own photo online but prefers not to make himself known. I think he was a smart, savvy kid from a secure home, with a comfortably-off family and good peer group status, that he lived not far from RA, and that RA knew or had at least met his parents.

I realise this is a bold claim to base on a few scant photos but I think the evidence is there. The fact that RA was the photographer might at first suggest an awkward, vulnerable adolescent stopped on the street, but this does not look like a runaway or a boy from a poor family. The jeans and shirt have some wear but they fit him well and look good quality. They appear clean, so does he, and his hair is not cut just anyhow but is well styled for the era. He has a cool, expensive bike. How he got the broken teeth - which he's trying not to show - I have no idea, but he isn't from some breadline family. He doesn't look more than 15 but he's got clear lovebites on his neck, which at least one of his parents must have spotted. Since they evidently took good care of him, it is doubtful they let him slide into the clutches of a male abuser, and since being openly gay in that time and at his age was extremely unlikely, he must have got them from his girlfriend. Inept and mentally-challenged teenage boys don't tend to have those.

I see no sign of fear or apprehension. I don't think the awkward pose is because he's gauche, naive, whatever. He probably just wasn't interested in being photographed, maybe he was self-conscious about the missing teeth, but it was a case of ok, go on then and take your photos if you really must. He's not particularly enjoying the situation but he's not that bothered by it either.

The bike is on grass, a few feet from a house and no sign of any tarmac. Either the house is right on the road or RA has got him him to carry his bike onto someone's front garden. Assuming these to be unlikely, he is either in RA's own garden, someone else's, or his own. If RA was living with his mother and intended foul play, he was unlikely to risk luring the boy there in broad daylight, and anyway this particular boy is probably too streetwise to fall for that . A stranger's house seems even less likely.

I infer from all this that the boy was not a random encounter but was known to RA through normal social channels. He's the son of friends, relatives or someone RA had dealings with, and RA has photographed him at his own home. The boy would have preferred not, but RA was a guest and it was impolite to refuse. He will be almost certainly aware of the Alcala case, as even if he didn't know who RA was, his parents must have done and they will have told him. People who've met a serial killer will normally take an interest in the case and follow its progress. If he's done that, he must know about the photos, but he hasn't come forward so he doesn't want to be associated with the case or be questioned about it. Maybe he just doesn't want to get involved. Maybe he has even seen this thread.

Can anyone provide a high res picture of the bike? The writing on the frame might be decipherable. A first name, middle initial and the beginning of a last name look fairly clear already, unless this is the title of a bike edition. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much online about the history of the Omega cycle company.

I very much hope that I'm right and that this kid (= this 50ish year old man) is alive and well. It would be great to have confirmation of that but we'll probably never know.

I just hope you're right.

I'm wondering if he could be Rodney Grissom?

Rodney Lynn Grissom – The Charley Project

The girl Rodney disappeared with resembles someone I saw in another Alcala photo, but I'm still trying to find it. Also wondering if was Karen was 5 ft 2 and not Rodney?

Gosh, it's a long time since I dropped in here. Looking again at the writing on the bike frame, which seems to be done with a marker pen and which I'm guessing is his name, it looks as if it could be Howard and then a name beginning with M, second letter possibly L or I and ending in IC, something like Howard Mladic or Milovic.

ETA: Doh....just gone through the thread again and somebody has already suggested Howard. Haven't read this for nearly four years....

Last edited:
Gosh, reading back and comparing photos, I'm wondering if @norest4thewicked ever saw the post a few pages back where someone stated this was Scott Fandel, and mentioned he had been brought to their neighborhood along with his sister Amy by someone else,and then killed by Alcala?

I know it reads a bit like whoa, WHAT? But there really is a resemblance to the Amy and the little blonde girl in the yellow shirt too.

could someone do side by side for both? I know the Charley images are blown exposure,but still.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back