Found Alive HI - MD, 15, abducted, So side Anaehoomalu Bay, Hawaii Isl, 16 Sept 2022 *arrest*

Thank goodness for the Good Samaritan…

Hartman recognized 15-year-old MD from recent Amber Alerts, which were sent to people all over the Big Island and even on Maui.

Hartman ran to help MD, wrestling the Kealakehe High School sophomore away from her 52-year-old captor and helping her back into the restaurant.

Mario Castillo, the café’s manager, told Big Island Now: “He rushed her in here and told everybody out there to ‘Get that guy’.”

People at the bayfront establishment went after the fleeing man, but were unable to corral him. They were able to get the license plate number of the vehicle he drove away in, and reported it to police.

Family and Restaurant Employees Detail Dramatic Rescue of Abducted Teen; Suspect Arrested | Big Island Now

Last edited by a moderator:
What fantastic news to see when I logged-on today! I'm so happy that MD was able to get free before he had a chance to harm her.

MD, LE and the community did everything right. Now, let us hope that Mahi is kept locked up and that the judicial system won't let him back onto the street for a very long time.

No details, but news of Mahi's capture is finally in MSM:

HONOLULU (KHON2) — According to Hawaii Island Mayor Roth, the suspect in the alleged abduction has been captured.

The Hawaii Police Department confirmed that Duncan Kealoha Mahi was located and arrested in Hilo on Saturday, Sept. 17.

It is amazing to me that an abductor would take his victim to a restaurant in a busy downtown area! He must not be very bright, and thank goodness for that.

“This is, something is off. And I just, I even if it wasn’t her, my brain was like, I need to get her,” said Bridge Hartman.

Hartman said the teen and Duncan Mahi walked up to the host stand twice for a table. When they walked away, Hartman noticed they began to argue.

”And I realize then they started tussling... I was I was like — Wait, what’s happening? It just wasn’t connecting,” Hartman said. “And then, and then I realized it was her. And I yelled out, that’s the girl from that’s the Amber Alert girl. That’s her. That’s her.”

He said the suspect let go of the teen for a second. That’s when Hartman rushed in.

“She got away from him, like just for like a brief moment. And I was able to grab her in time. And I rushed her into into our back of our restaurant.”

Out front at the time was artist Dragonfly, who is well known in downtown Hilo.

“All of a sudden I can hear a girl screaming, ‘Help, help, leave me alone’,” said Dragonfly. “And then here comes this guy dragging her.”

Hartman said that suspect attempted to convince everyone that MD was his daughter.

Another good Samaritan at the scene was Kori Takaki. She and her mom were eating at Cafe Pesto when the incident went down.

“When I looked at her, it looked like a man and a woman fighting,” said Takaki. “But she was wearing men’s clothing and I thought, that’s strange. She doesn’t look like she’s wearing her own clothes.”

Witnesses said MD was scared and shaken up, but not hurt.

”She was saying he kidnapped me, he kidnapped me. Thank you,” Hartman recalled. “And I just got into the office. Got her water.”

Takaki stayed with MD until the police arrived and help her get in contact with her mom. She said the real hero is the Cafe Pesto host.

“He really was a brave young man,” said Takaki. “I just know this is a mother’s worst nightmare.”

Hartman said this is the first time encountering a situation like this but he’s relieved to have acted on his instincts.

“So if you do see something, just do something,” Hartman added.

Such wonderful news!!! Prayers help!

Lets face it, if you are going to be abducted, lucky to be abducted by an imbecile, ... if he was anywhere good at this, there's no way in the world he'd bring her to a social, public gathering.

Kudos to the young lady for thinking on her feet. Also prayers for her physical and mental recovery. If what we think sadly occured when he got her alone, this entire ordeal is far from over for her.

My apologies for being initially harsh on the bf. The whole thing sounded a bit off to me. I forget 15 is still really young to know how to think in protect mode. In the future he'll know even if someone has a howitzer pointed at a loved one, never let anyone separate you from your them. Fight young man, FIGHT! Even MD and other young girls have to know NEVER allow yourself to be taken away easily. She screams, and he more than likely runs away. Even stabbed is a better outcome than even the best case scenario of what these monsters have planned long term. If this guy wasn't so stupid, 6 - 12 more hours on the run, we know how this story would have ended.

It is amazing to me that an abductor would take his victim to a restaurant in a busy downtown area! He must not be very bright, and thank goodness for that.

“This is, something is off. And I just, I even if it wasn’t her, my brain was like, I need to get her,” said Bridge Hartman.

Hartman said the teen and Duncan Mahi walked up to the host stand twice for a table. When they walked away, Hartman noticed they began to argue.

”And I realize then they started tussling... I was I was like — Wait, what’s happening? It just wasn’t connecting,” Hartman said. “And then, and then I realized it was her. And I yelled out, that’s the girl from that’s the Amber Alert girl. That’s her. That’s her.”

He said the suspect let go of the teen for a second. That’s when Hartman rushed in.

“She got away from him, like just for like a brief moment. And I was able to grab her in time. And I rushed her into into our back of our restaurant.”

Out front at the time was artist Dragonfly, who is well known in downtown Hilo.

“All of a sudden I can hear a girl screaming, ‘Help, help, leave me alone’,” said Dragonfly. “And then here comes this guy dragging her.”

Hartman said that suspect attempted to convince everyone that Debina was his daughter.

Another good Samaritan at the scene was Kori Takaki. She and her mom were eating at Cafe Pesto when the incident went down.

“When I looked at her, it looked like a man and a woman fighting,” said Takaki. “But she was wearing men’s clothing and I thought, that’s strange. She doesn’t look like she’s wearing her own clothes.”

Witnesses said Debina was scared and shaken up, but not hurt.

”She was saying he kidnapped me, he kidnapped me. Thank you,” Hartman recalled. “And I just got into the office. Got her water.”

Takaki stayed with Debina until the police arrived and help her get in contact with her mom. She said the real hero is the Cafe Pesto host.

“He really was a brave young man,” said Takaki. “I just know this is a mother’s worst nightmare.”

Hartman said this is the first time encountering a situation like this but he’s relieved to have acted on his instincts.

“So if you do see something, just do something,” Hartman added.
I love that the employee who rescued her is named Bridge Hartman. Bridge sounds like the name of a romance novel hero! So glad this has a happy ending. I’m sure this young lady has a long road to recovery, regardless of what happened during her period of abduction.

Such wonderful news!!! Prayers help!

Lets face it, if you are going to be abducted, lucky to be abducted by an imbecile, ... if he was anywhere good at this, there's no way in the world he'd bring her to a social, public gathering.

Kudos to the young lady for thinking on her feet. Also prayers for her physical and mental recovery. If what we think sadly occured when he got her alone, this entire ordeal is far from over for her.

My apologies for being initially harsh on the bf. The whole thing sounded a bit off to me. I forget 15 is still really young to know how to think in protect mode. In the future he'll know even if someone has a howitzer pointed at a loved one, never let anyone separate you from your them. Fight young man, FIGHT! Even MD and other young girls have to know NEVER allow yourself to be taken away easily. She screams, and he more than likely runs away. Even stabbed is a better outcome than even the best case scenario of what these monsters have planned long term. If this guy wasn't so stupid, 6 - 12 more hours on the run, we know how this story would have ended.
I'm local to this abduction and I noticed MANY people were quite harsh on the BF. Thank you for acknowledging that. I cannot believe how dumb this perp is. Not only does he take her out in public but he does so on a small island where everyone is on HIGH ALERT looking for the victim. I am so relieved MD was able to escape, is home, and on the road to recovery. I'll be thinking of her in the coming days and hope the best for her.

Abducted girl was drugged, trapped in bus​

"Court documents paint a frightening picture of what happened to the teen in the 22 hours she was held captive.

Court documents said the teen recounted being shackled and kept inside a yellow bus behind Mahi’s home and being forced to smoke methamphetamine."

Suspect in teen’s kidnapping charged; bail set at $2 million​

"Duncan Kealoha Mahi was charged Monday afternoon with two counts each of kidnapping, first-degree terroristic threatening and first-degree robbery, and one count each of methamphetamine trafficking and first-degree sex assault in connection with alleged crimes that began around 1:30 p.m. Friday at Anaehoomalu Bay in South Kohala."

Last edited:

Abducted girl was drugged, trapped in bus​

"Court documents paint a frightening picture of what happened to the teen in the 22 hours she was held captive.

According to court documents, Mahi threatened MD and her boyfriend with a knife, and forced her to “restrain” her boyfriend before she was abducted.

Court documents said the teen recounted being shackled and kept inside a yellow bus behind Mahi’s home and being forced to smoke methamphetamine."

Suspect in teen’s kidnapping charged; bail set at $2 million​

"Duncan Kealoha Mahi was charged Monday afternoon with two counts each of kidnapping, first-degree terroristic threatening and first-degree robbery, and one count each of methamphetamine trafficking and first-degree sex assault in connection with alleged crimes that began around 1:30 p.m. Friday at Anaehoomalu Bay in South Kohala."

Time to switch the victim's name to initials, sadly. Alerting mods.

I'm happy to see the $2 million bail and to see that the prosecutors are seeking a life term. Hopefully this creep will never be free again to hurt someone else.

MD is very brave to have kept her head during such a terrible ordeal, and it is good to know that she will have the support of her loving family during her recovery. The boyfriend also suffered a very traumatic experience, and though it may be lesser than hers, I hope that he will also have the understanding and support he will need to recover.

A Hilo man accused of kidnapping a teenage girl pleaded not guilty in Kona’s 3rd Circuit on Monday and has requested a jury trial, which was set for Feb. 7, 2023.

During Monday’s hearing, Duncan Mahi’s attorney requested a bail study be conducted, which the judge granted. He remains in custody on $2 million dollars bail.

A Hilo man accused of kidnapping a teenage girl pleaded not guilty in Kona’s 3rd Circuit on Monday and has requested a jury trial, which was set for Feb. 7, 2023.

During Monday’s hearing, Duncan Mahi’s attorney requested a bail study be conducted, which the judge granted. He remains in custody on $2 million dollars bail.
Not guilty huh? He was caught red handed with her.

Unbelievable.

A Hilo man accused of abducting a teenaged girl last year from the Waikōloa area was found fit to stand trial, according to 3rd Circuit Court minutes on Friday.

Fifty-two-year-old Duncan Mahi was examined by three doctors to determine his mental fitness to stand trial on charges of two counts of kidnapping, three counts of terroristic threatening, first-degree robbery, two counts of methamphetamine trafficking and four counts of sexual assault.

A motions hearing is scheduled on July 7 at 8:30 a.m. and a jury trial is set for Aug. 22, 2023.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gknows
Back