HI HI - Thomas Lockhart 61, from CA, went for jog, Pīpīwai Trails area Haleakalā NP, Maui, 1 May 2022

SBM
BD192FEB-D66E-4EE7-AAE4-6F77B2223EC7.jpeg

• 6-foot-1, weighs about 165 pounds, and has grey hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing blue shorts, an unknown-colored shirt, and running shoes.
Kipahulu search for missing man continues
SBBM

Thomas Lockhart was last seen at about 6:30 a.m. Sunday at a Kipahulu Valley farm where he is staying, police said. Lockhart reportedly was going jogging in the Pipiwai trails area in the Kipahulu District of Haleakala National Park.

Missing - Thomas Lockhart

An Update from the Family
We are the family of Tom Lockhart, his daughters Madeline and Caroline Lockhart and his nephew Dieterich Lawson. We are here in Hana searching for Tom alongside the first responders and search and rescue teams. Along with all of Toms family and friends we are hopeful he can be found soon.

Tom Lockhart was last seen leaving Kipahulu Valley Farm early Sunday morning, May 1st, around 6:30 AM in running clothes, including running shorts and blue-orange running shoes. We believe his intention was to run up Pipiwai trail. He is a physically fit, 6’1” 165 lbs, 61 y.o. white male with brown/graying hair. He is familiar with this area and has run this trail before.

If you live in Hana and have a road facing camera, please check Sunday May 1 between 6:30AM and 11AM. If you see someone who might match Tom’s description, please download the footage and contact us.
Email: findtomlockhart@gmail.com

We will be checking messages/emails daily and will get back to you if we miss your call. Please save the footage.
We are so grateful for the help of the first responders including the Maui Fire Dept., National Park Services, and Maui Police Dept., as well as the volunteer search and rescue teams, Search Tech Advisory Team (STAT) and Maui Search and Rescue (MSAR).

Please check the ‘Missing-Thomas Lockhart’ Facebook page in the evenings for details on how to help find Tom.

I'm very impressed with the families efforts to find Thomas - they are very organized and pro-active. Just sorry my good thoughts have to be under these circumstances.

This so reminds me of the 2021 thread on "Bruce Rubin" who went missing at a Virginia resort after going out jogging. I'm praying this ends differently though.

Please check the ‘Missing-Thomas Lockhart’ Facebook page in the evenings for details on how to help find Tom.

<snipped by me>
I just saw the photo capture they have posted there now taken 5/1/22 6:29am with info of him running on the road toward the trailhead...

and the above Link is this text URL;
Code:
https://goo.gl/maps/kAXtkKZoPdSeeqsp8
(The red marker simply denotes the Pipiwai Trail,
not any spot of particular interest on it.)
The Google Maps representation (overlay) of the
route of the Trail is only approximate to the
actual physical route of the Pipiwai Trail.

Aside from slipping off any close steep parts of
the Trail, he could also at some point along it,
have perhaps possibly intentionally left the Trail
to access any nearby water (if such an action is
possible?).

Last edited:

Missing - Thomas Lockhart

We need volunteers to help find Tom on Sunday May 15!

Breaking News: Cameras in Haleakalā National Park captured a video of Tom running on the road towards Pipiwai trailhead at 6:30AM Sunday May 1. He was wearing a green/blue short-sleeve athletic shirt, blue running shorts, and blue and orange running shoes. With this additional evidence several search and rescue teams have agreed to return to search.

With the teams returning, we need volunteers to help find Tom! The search will be this Sunday, May 15. Those who wish to help, please check this page tomorrow for details on meetup time and location.

The image is taken from a camera on the entry station to Haleakalā National Park. It shows Tom paused during his run up the road from Laulima Farm. He ran, paused to look at something in the park, and continued running. The grass and rocks in the photo are between the entry station and the main road, and Tom is on the road. The National Park Service is still reviewing footage, but so far has not found images of Tom returning the other way.

OK to duplicate message and photograph for PR purposes.

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors
I wonder what Tom paused to look at?

Search efforts underway for 3 hikers missing on separate Hawaii trails

Hiking in Hawaii sounds dangerous

When storms come through, it can be dangerous.

We arrived in Maui last December, between storms. From what I've seen, rain can turn things muddy and slick quickly. JMVHO.

Praying for TL and the other missing hikers.

If he was running toward the trailhead would that mean he was going away from the ocean/water/cliffs? I was thinking he was very near the cliffs and went over. I am wondering what he was looking at in the photo? I hope he was not harmed.

"Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. We would like to provide an update to you about this situation, but it is not the outcome we hoped for. We received confirmation from the Parks Service at Haleakala National Park that Tom did enter the park early Sunday morning, and that there was a severe storm later in the morning, leading to multiple serious and dangerous flash flood events. Searchers on the ground, including first responders, volunteer search teams, and family members, have found no additional evidence of Tom's whereabouts. The trails area where Tom entered (as well as many areas surrounding it) has been searched and researched multiple times--we have no evidence that Tom is alive, and we have found no evidence of the location of his body. "

more at the link.

"Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. We would like to provide an update to you about this situation, but it is not the outcome we hoped for. We received confirmation from the Parks Service at Haleakala National Park that Tom did enter the park early Sunday morning, and that there was a severe storm later in the morning, leading to multiple serious and dangerous flash flood events. Searchers on the ground, including first responders, volunteer search teams, and family members, have found no additional evidence of Tom's whereabouts. The trails area where Tom entered (as well as many areas surrounding it) has been searched and researched multiple times--we have no evidence that Tom is alive, and we have found no evidence of the location of his body. "

more at the link.

After consulting with first responders and search and rescue experts, we now know that it is almost 100% likely that Tom was caught and overwhelmed by a flash flood, and that he is no longer with us. This news is difficult for our family to accept, but we are confident in the efforts of all those who have been searching and continue to search. One of our family members who went to Hawaii to search wrote to us, saying that we may never have definitive confirmation, but Tom is most likely laid to rest in a place surrounded by indescribable beauty. He went into his final days doing things that he loved: he was planning to finish his run, attend church, and spend time with his daughter.

The National Parks Service will continue to search for his body, but our family will move forward in our remembrance of Tom. We are grateful to everyone who has contributed to the search, whether in person or in spirit. We would specifically like to thank the Hana Police Department, the Hana Fire Department, the National Parks Service of Haleakala National Park, Maui Search and Rescue, the Search Tech Advisory Team, and countless other community members who came forward to search for Tom.
A celebration of life will be held at First Baptist Church of Abilene, TX on Saturday, June 4 at 10:30 am. Inquiries can be sent to findtomlockhart@gmail.com.
#

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK
Back