How to start a Cold Case thread

What denotes a cold case? I'm guessing over a year? I guy I knew was murdered and I'd like to post his case but I'm trying to find the right board.

Welcome ilovesleep... I've found there are differences in what 'denotes a cold case' among investigators and agencies ... generally though, it's an investigation that remains unsolved and is without new info or leads ... there is a forum here.

dont know if I can yet post but I think I may have a new one to add to cold case borad here is just one link to it and well to this day this has gone unsolved Search for woman's killer continues 25 years later this is just one of the odd ball things that has happened in my home town. and being not to far away from ill and other places it would help if well they did find out who did this

Hello-

Looking for advice on resources for investigating a cold case from 1980. The murdered girl in question has almost no presence online today.

I've searched for hours, ancestry.com turned up only 2 items a school photo and date of death entry from the state.

I'd like to find newspaper articles about her abduction and murder and cannot find how to access that online. The year was 1980- State of Oregon.

Thank you

Hello Okie Grannie

Its my first day on Web Sleuths, Ive always been fasacinated by True crime and criminal crimes. If honest I joined up tonight because Im having nightmares about the (Madeline McCann case since 2007) having a 3yr Nephew *advertiser censored* has similar features keeps remininding me of the tragic case. I just can't get that case out of my mind about what happened to her and the suffering of her family. Its been too long for Justice, thankfully recent activity regarding her case as helped me believe things are moving in the right direction. However I want to help out and see If I can help bring justice to the McCann family and especially Madeline McCann!
Im New and fresh so need all the help and support to improve my Dective skills and help to solve this case and many others in the future!!
Your advice and guidance would be welcomed!

I'd like to share a news article about 2,600 unsolved cold murder cases in UK. Is it correct to start a thread here? I'm not sure if this is single cases only.

If you'd like to start a thread but aren't quite sure how, here's a little tutorial:

1. It begins with information from an official source: a news article, a release issued by law enforcement, a state's cold case database, etc.

2. Use the Search box to make sure we don't already have a thread on that case.

3. Upload the missing person's image, if available, to an image host.

4. Go to the Cold Cases forum and click Post New Thread (to the left of the forum header).

5. Select the appropriate location prefix from the drop-down menu.

6. Add a title. There is a specific approved format for for all Cold Case titles:

(State or Country Prefix - First & Last Name, Age, Location, Date)

For example: WI - Crystal Jones, 24, Milwaukee, 16 April 2007

7. Add your image and source link(s) and text in the text box.

8. Preview and proofread your post by clicking the Preview Post button.

9. Once you're satisfied that your post is accurate and complete, click the Submit New Thread button.

Any questions? Ask away!
Thank you!!

Hello.

First time posting here.
Please move this thread if there's a more appropriate forum.

Wondering how to get publicly available information on old cases.
There are two that I'm interested in, both of which occurred in the Houston, Texas area. One was in 1998, the other happened between 1979 to 1981.
I know the exact address of the '98 crime along with the murdered mans first name.
Of the '79 to '81 crime I know only the neighborhood name, along with the official conjecture that it was hate motivated (gay bashing) and that the type of weapon was a mystery.

I've driven myself cross-eyed with internet searching. My assumption is that the older crime may have been recorded only in hard copy that sits in a long since buried filing cabinet. The more recent crime is probably on digital database somewhere. Is there a way to get more details? Might there be public records I can view?

Any other thoughts?
If you'd like to start a thread but aren't quite sure how, here's a little tutorial:

1. It begins with information from an official source: a news article, a release issued by law enforcement, a state's cold case database, etc.

4. Go to the Cold Cases forum and click Post New Thread (to the left of the forum header).

6. Add a title. There is a specific approved format for for all Cold Case titles:

9. Once you're satisfied that your post is accurate and complete, click the Submit New Thread button.

Any questions? Ask away!

Hi, Scotland Yard (headquarters of London Police, UK) appealed today for information on a body found 20 years ago in London, can I start a cold cases thread to discuss?

Hi -I wrote up a new thread under Cold Cases today, with several links and all, and it vanished. Is there a waiting period before it will appear? If not, where did it go? Searches for it come up empty. Help! :)

Any questions? Ask away!
How do we close a cold case thread once it has been resolved

Any questions? Ask away!

So I know this is a few years old, but I am interested in starting a thread on Seven (7) cold cases of the remaining unknown victims of Alaskan Serial Killer, Israel Keyes. That being said, how can I do so and follow your guidelines when we don't know who these people are, or what part of the country they're missing from? Keyes admittedly killed 11 with only 3 definitely confirmed victims and 1 sort of (IMO) confirmed victim. What can I do to start this thread and potentially get this work started? Any assistance is appreciated!

I have a question that might fit here. I am thinking of starting my own project for researching civil rights murders and lynchings prior to the passing of The Civil Rights Act. I fully understand that the chances of finding true justice for the families of these victims is slim to none. My goal is simply to try to find the truth and document it for history. I don't know if WS would be willing to give space to a project like this, but if any WSers are interested in helping me with the project, please feel free to shoot me a pm. Especially if you live in the south and might be willing to talk to surviving family members or track down documents. Thanks.

Civil Rights-Era Cold Cases

Last edited:
Can you post a cold case if the original cause of death wasn't listed as homicide, but undetermined? Even if there is obvious foul play?

Any questions? Ask away!

Any questions? Ask away!
Looks like I didn't format the title correctly. I don't seem to be able to find an edit button for the title? Found one for the body of the post, but no title? Thanks in advance.

Looks like I didn't format the title correctly. I don't seem to be able to find an edit button for the title? Found one for the body of the post, but no title? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to WebSleuths, @RickAndDori.com !

Click the blue word Report in your opening post, and ask the Moderator to edit the title.

I'm commenting here because I'd like to start a new post and need to meet the minimum comments!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back