Huge Fire In Malibu (ca) *merged threads*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been watching HIghland. It is being used as an evacuation site. The fire is really up the mountain about 20-30 minutes by car..but still. It must not be blowing down that way.

Thanks JBean.

This might be a stupid question,but is it possible these fires just won't get controled? Can they reach the downtown of San Diego? What about Mission Valley?

Gonzo,
A heartfelt thanks for the map.
This is one of the scariest things I've seen unfold on cable news. Many CA based stations are running a livefeed but they get clogged because of so many hits.

I think I'm sitting in a part of the county where I am safe but completely surrounded by fires. I'm in eastern Vista with fires south of me in Carlsbad and San Marcos and northeast of me in Fallbrook and Valley Center. Since the wind is blowing towards the west, I feel relatively safe, but this could change at any time.

Thanks Sunday it has been down for quite awhile. I can access again..thanks for reposting.

It seems to be working ok here.
One area on that has where the fires are located........
I was worried about WS friends on the coast. I have extended
family, who have a home in Lake Arrowhead. A cousin in
Grass Valley also.
This would scare me to death.......I'd be heading someplace South then East very fast.

Thanks JBean.

This might be a stupid question,but is it possible these fires just won't get controled? Can they reach the downtown of San Diego? What about Mission Valley?

Mandatory evacuation of northern San Diego (Scripps Ranch area) has begun, but I think the downtown is too urbanized to burn. What is feeding these fires is combustible vegetation that has a high oil content. Eucalyptus trees, sagebrush chapparral, etc.

inside socal dot com

fire.jpg

Grass Valley also.
This would scare me to death.......I'd be heading someplace South then East very fast.

Sunday, I'm down the hill 30 miles, and things are bad up there, in fact they haven't been able to make water drops due to the wind.

Santa Ana winds don't turn - when they die out, other winds will take over, but they aren't going to be nearly as strong. You can see it in the smoke pattern - it's blowing straight and only West. They're expecting the winds to go on through tomorrow. A lot could burn between now and then. Once they die out, that'll make an enourmous difference in fighting the fire.

Mandatory evacuation of northern San Diego (Scripps Ranch area) has begun, but I think the downtown is too urbanized to burn. What is feeding these fires is combustible vegetation that has a high oil content. Eucalyptus trees, sagebrush chapparral, etc.
And the fire isn't to the west of it. Those fires are driven by Santa Ana winds - west-blowing only.

Sunday, I'm down the hill 30 miles, and things are bad up there, in fact they haven't been able to make water drops due to the wind.
I am thinking it is their second home......Many in the family have had great times there. I'll be checking in with my cousin this way soon.......
I'm sure they wouldn't have stayed. YOU be careful too......this is a nightmare.

I am thinking it is their second home......Many in the family have had great times there. I'll be checking in with my cousin this way soon.......
I'm sure they wouldn't have stayed. YOU be careful too......this is a nightmare.

Sunday, this is such a 'flash back' to past fires up in our San Bernardino mountain communities...............many of my friends live permanently up there, but down a bit toward the Running Springs area.

Now they are restricting residents up the hill at this time due to Foresty traffic.

I hope your cousin's place will be okay, as I hope a relatives place on Allview will not be involved. The problem is the wind, and it takes little time for the fires to travel in all the dry and dead trees up there.

Tom'sGirl,
Keep us posted. Prayers to you and your loved ones. :blowkiss:

I'm sure you remember the fires of '03, here's a satellite image I saved from those.
Oh I remeber. I had 3 sons living in San Diego at the time. I drov down from the OC and I made it to SD right before they shut down the 5. It was a nightmkare down there. I brought food and supplies to the boys there.

I just drove home and the N 5 is packed as far as I can see. It is all the people evacuating from SD.
It is a real mess out there.

Grass Valley also.
News just reported that the fire is blowing away from Lake Arrowhwad and that it would take a major major wind shift to put Lake Arrowhead in danger.

Thanks JBean.

2 of my sons live in MIssion Valley across the street from Qualcomm. Since they are using Qualcomm as an evac siter, I think it is ok. It is pretty far south.
They are concerned that the fires will burn all the way to the coast as they cannot get a handle on them and that would hit the beach towns like Solana beach maybe Encinitas too?

FSHScalifornia295_G11L.jpg

This was the latest locations that came up on the map
A Map Showing Locations and smoke fields........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrackingCrime