Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
H-town mayor has no reason to apologize or be second guessed imho - ridiculous! Explain how to do that for a city like H-town and the surrounding - very sick of media pundits weighing in with their best ideas from a newsroom in "nowhere near, no idea of the consequences but I sound really good on TV land"

CARIIS - had the misfortune of being caught in an ice storm in 2000 - just before the " 2001" turn of the century that predicted doom. My mother had just died, we were in Arkadelphia Arkansas when we had to abandon the road -me and husband, and very young son, mom's dog (and bulldog named pumpkin) and cat (who had been the only cat my dad -who predeceased my mom - had ever loved) - we managed to get off the road that night thinking we could pull into a hotel - all full, of electric technicians from as far north as Iowa, sent in to repair the damage - we saw transformers blow up as the ice destroyed the entire area. We wound up at a red cross shelter (first methodist arkadelphia, iirc) and were fed, bedded and cared for - pets outside in the car - we woke up to start and warm every two hours - who nestled together in blankets for warmth - and survived. but i will never forget the line of technicians and trucks streaming in from points north to restore power to the area - which had suffered catastrophic damage. there must have been 300 of them - I'll never forget that, or the people of that church and the red cross or the night in the shelter. That pup and kitten lived to a very old age, dear son is a grown man with his own family, and me and that crazy husband of mine who likes to check the mailbox during hurricanes, are still running around - picking up where we left off. Lost our power during this hurricane - our techs got out, got it done and brought us back up in 9 hours.. I'll be donating to the lineman college this year (and forward)

glad your babies were fine!! It was so hot after charlie these guys were dripping after a couple of days i froze a bunch of water and made little sandwiches

They would take the water but noone would take my sandwhiches! As it kept happening the only conclusion I could come up with was they thought they could have been
posiened!

Think about it some stranger is passes out sandwiches homemade not bags of McDonalds or something

but that is the only conclusion I could come up with because it was consistent

a homeless person declined .......blew my mind

they were amazing there were like 2 million in central fl and for the state it was 6 million powerless

From what was said about past experience with evacuation and from the stated population of the city of Houston and the surrounding county, it sounds like shelter in place was the best decision.

Yes, people are stressed and afraid when water comes in, but not many are injured or worse, so that is good.

I'm surprised the National Guard was not onsite already. They could have had them in town or very nearby beforehand. Also the boat availability situation could have been pre-organized. This event was well predicted. It seems, however, that the volunteers were doing a very fine job of it today.

As for the releases of the water - a controlled release - even knowing it is going to add to the already high water level - is always going to be better than an unplanned, sudden release of a huge amount of water.

Watching all of this today makes me think my problems are tiny ones compared to this.

[video=twitter;901950620843769856]https://twitter.com/Harri8t/status/901950620843769856[/video]

TX_LNJ.jpg

TX_ST.jpg

AL_AS.jpg

TN_LC.jpg

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontp...gion=USA&tfp_sort_by=state&tfp_state_letter=T

Just want all those affected by this devastation to know that many people care and are very concerned for their safety.

I don't live anywhere near Texas, but I've been so worried and scared for everyone. I can't even wrap my brain around what all of you are dealing with.

My thoughts too are especially with the first responders, and emergency workers.

Years ago our large urban city was hit by a treacherous ice storm, followed by over 20" of snowfall. I'm an RN and was working night shift in the ER that night.

The entire city was paralyzed. All the roads impassable and closed. I was stranded for five days straight at the hospital, working 20 out of 24 hours each day because there was no relief staff available.

I've always considered that a major, defining event in my life. I thought I had it bad. But I realize now that was absolutely nothing compared to what the emergency workers are dealing with in Houston.

My home was dry, and was still there when I finally returned. The hospital was safe and dry as well. Didn't have much sleep but was able to catch up later, of course.

The ice and snow eventually melted. Life returned to normal fairly quickly.

The point being I was so lucky, and didn't even realize it. Could have been so much worse. Now I have an inkling of just how much!

I can't imagine what everyone there is going through now. Please keep posting. Many of us will be with you in spirit, and will be following the recovery of your area...

16 helicopters operating today

The red storms are training again over Houston

They are warning people a levee might break and are telling people to leave now that is the first time anyone has said to go now

he has been good

200 homes

8 feet

not mandatory

On some of the reporters I have seen some of them needing a shave - that is how long this team has been going

been on abc local all day

http://abc13.com/live/

[video=twitter;902003424799150080]https://twitter.com/RosenbergPolice/status/902003424799150080[/video]

... looks like anatolian shepherd dogs-or crosses (pyrenees, lab) leading that parade! Actually I was very worried about some of our grazing livestock in these parts - those look like a mixed cattle group with brahmin and and other crosses - maybe short horn. Ours are similar, mostly Santa Getrudis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Gertrudis_cattle More to the point - that's a business and livelihood walking down that street - respect

[video=twitter;902004692796010496]https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/902004692796010496[/video]

[video=twitter;901999263151947777]https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/901999263151947777[/video]

[video=twitter;901925250727849984]https://twitter.com/B911Nature/status/901925250727849984[/video]

Ok,
I heard back from my niece in Katy (and yes, that IS niece, bfmd, not nuece lol..)
all is well there, full electricity, no flooding - which is a really good sign, since that house is prone to flooding during "regular" heavy T-storms.
Have not heard back today from Spring Branch, however late last night all was well.
Hoping Harvey fizzles out soon.

Ok,
I heard back from my niece in Katy (and yes, that IS niece, bfmd, not nuece lol..)
all is well there, full electricity, no flooding - which is a really good sign, since that house is prone to flooding during "regular" heavy T-storms.
Have not heard back today from Spring Branch, however late last night all was well.
Hoping Harvey fizzles out soon.

:blushing: golly nieces (who are normally one of the joys of my existence) was quite the bane these last couple of days - I'm hearing from the Woodlands that all is well - though that source is suspect. I think we are seeing"normal/abnormal" but nonetheless serious and terrifying flooding issues - in that some are getting wrecked while others are fine . glad yours are well and dry

It.is.pouring.

Really neat the reporter that was amazing out rescuing people was in in studio described his experience and then bought in the three guys he was with all day long

neat

He covered Rita Katrina has never seen anything like he experienced this day he said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member