Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok peeps - gotta grab some sleep - see you tomorrow (it's a busy day so I am not sure when..) peace!

a paraphrase from one of my favorite movies - "we are at our best, when things are at their worst..." ("Starman"-1984)

I love that movie! And great quote, too..
my favorite quote from that movie is

Starman (on learning how to drive by observation):
"...red light--STOP; green light--GO; yellow light--GO VERY FAST."

hahaha. OK, so maybe it's funnier in the movie...

They are having really serious concerns about levees .

They are going to have to start mandatory evacuations

Will be starting reverse 911

Dont really know how that is gonna happen?

curfews starting

I think they really need to get out word if you are on a highway you will be ticketed there are people on expressways up ahead is a lake

it is getting absurd if you cant prove an emergency you need a big ticket

now an ambulance just had to go rescue someone cause they are not listening

Awesome Houston looks done for now with rain!

This is horrific - now they're worrying about looting? Really? When does this end?

Great! When is it supposed to turn around and come back, Tuesday?

yeh the models showed it coming back right over Houston - they dont think it will restart even tho it is going to go over the Gulf again

I would have to think the water in the area is cold after the last couple of days!

goodness

I haven't heard from Tricia, BigFatMommyDog and geevee for a while, possibly more users in Texas :( I'm very concerned about them.

I'm still here! :) Just got busy this afternoon and was impatiently awaiting the latest 4 hour+ band of drench to stop pounding us. Then got the news of the Addicks reservoir release planned for tonight, it's a few miles down the road from us, not something I was excited to hear about (to say the least).

The maps that finally got posted don't list the affected subdivisions, just elevations, not a lot of help. But they did a slow release after the 'tax day' flood that only affected us to the extent of blocked area roads for 6 weeks.

Granted, it had stopped raining by the time they started that release then, I have no idea how current conditions will change the outcome. We just finished getting another 5-7 inches (and it's just now started raining again), if we make it through this unscathed only to be flooded by a release from the reservoir I'll be rather piqued, I've worked too hard to keep up dry, gonna be hard to take if a gov't wonk screws that up.

I do understand the need and their logic that it's better some neighborhoods get flooded that were previously dry than the whole system collapse and have a bigger catastrophe, but still a bitter pill to swallow.

They just showed the mandatory evacuations that need to start in morning -- its big

thus far it is a 800 year flood

I found the video of part of our downtown tunnel system. Someone asked about it earlier. Not sure if this has been posted yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/spacegirlviolet/status/901820429828055041?s=04

My house and family still dry and with power. Feeling so fortunate!!

Is it supposed to do that? Looks like it is dumping water in what looks like a finished area but it looks like it is a perfect hole??

What they said tho is it ALL goes down so in two three weeks there is gonna be another whole mess downstream - I suppose the good side is they will have time to leave

I'm still here! :) Just got busy this afternoon and was impatiently awaiting the latest 4 hour+ band of drench to stop pounding us. Then got the news of the Addicks reservoir release planned for tonight, it's a few miles down the road from us, not something I was excited to hear about (to say the least).

The maps that finally got posted don't list the affected subdivisions, just elevations, not a lot of help. But they did a slow release after the 'tax day' flood that only affected us to the extent of blocked area roads for 6 weeks.

Granted, it had stopped raining by the time they started that release then, I have no idea how current conditions will change the outcome. We just finished getting another 5-7 inches (and it's just now started raining again), if we make it through this unscathed only to be flooded by a release from the reservoir I'll be rather piqued, I've worked too hard to keep up dry, gonna be hard to take if a gov't wonk screws that up.

I do understand the need and their logic that it's better some neighborhoods get flooded that were previously dry than the whole system collapse and have a bigger catastrophe, but still a bitter pill to swallow.

go to these folks website they just released the areas around them that need to go.

The Addica one is rising faster than the other one

http://abc13.com/live/

My understanding of water man expert is if you click and zoom in it will give you your street address - that is my understanding

but the new map they just aired is not
the one I think you went it was red and yello areas

be safe and hey I am no expert but if you are dry enough and know your roads are
dry and you are in a mndatory evac sound like they are coming up I would go now sorry

who the heck after all you have been trhough want to get stuck in traffic - cause when its mandatory then everything turnd into a mess

I have been surprised how many empty homes apparently did not kill elec to thier house at the main box - if you leave dont forget to do that jmo

and good luck

I dont know the area but def they are rolling out a lot of upcoming mandatory evacs and I would just think with releases and concerns about levees .............................

if ya got money get a hotel your credit card number!!

lunesta down

oow===

I am drenched

we spa

good night stay saf

==----------------------------------------

It has been

Wow, so sad that more aren't here. This a huge deal. The Texas
Coast is destroyed and it's now in Houston. So sad. I'm thankful my family who lives in corpus Christy got out early.

According to channel 2, the army corp of engineers has just started the release from Addicks, earlier than stated they would, 2 hours to begin seeing affects of the release.

Thank you to our members checking in and the members providing in-depth information.

Please do not spend one second worrying about me. The area inSan Antonio where we are staying is seeing rain and that's about it. Nothing to worry about.

I just saw that horrible picture of the seniors in above the waist water in a nursing home and I can't sleep. Yes, they have all been rescued but my God how were they left there in the flood waters in the first place.
Thanks again everyone. I truly love our members.
Tricia

thank you for checking in, Tricia :loveyou: happy that you were able to make it through unscathed. With a bit of luck, it will stay that way!

I heard that Harvey has broke the record held since 1945 for amount of rainfall... was too late to catch the total so far. It is going to take a long time to clean this up. in the meantime, roads are closed, stores are running out of food, it is still causing more and more problems no the end is not in sight yet.

Have to read back the poss I have missed. Fingers crossed some of our "missing members" were able to post. See ya soon...

... looks like anatolian shepherd dogs-or crosses (pyrenees, lab) leading that parade! Actually I was very worried about some of our grazing livestock in these parts - those look like a mixed cattle group with brahmin and and other crosses - maybe short horn. Ours are similar, mostly Santa Getrudis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Gertrudis_cattle More to the point - that's a business and livelihood walking down that street - respect

It was one of a few bright spots that lifted my heavy heart, seeing those cattle walking down that street! Such an orderly fashion, they went.

This is horrific - now they're worrying about looting? Really? When does this end?

And I had posted how wonderful it was o not see looting happening. Smh --- or smack their heads: stupid people are everywhere these days. This kind of behavior cannot be tolerated, and if it your kid/spouse/neighbor, do not tolerate it, either! Learn some decency, you low-lifes!

I found the video of part of our downtown tunnel system. Someone asked about it earlier. Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Yippee! No power can be hard, but it is tolerable to any other development. I do hope you co to use to stay dry!

thansk for updating your safety, Coco..... and glad to hear updates on "the rices" from our other members. Always relieved to hear more good news.'

According to channel 2, the army corp of engineers has just started the release from Addicks, earlier than stated they would, 2 hours to begin seeing affects of the release.

Geevee! :waving: Thrilled to see your ere here and so far managing to stay dry. Are you in an area that the reservoir release is going to affect? It does sound like a strong possibility. That would be the biggest kick after working so hard to keep it dry. Yeah, I understand the need, too, but it will make me sad all over again for those I had hopes for. Sending good vibes with the hope they help. Hope you are able to update us again sometime today, or after this release has spilled its excess. Worried all over again for you, luv.

OMG, seeing that dirty water rushing into such a bright, clean looking space is painful. This thread has been my first introduction to tunnel spaces being utilized for shops, etc. thankfully, no one was in those tunnels when things got bad.

I am at a loss for words as all these developments keep growing into more chaos and financial disaster. May the loss of lives numbers stay low... prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lneill04