Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

I don't know about pics but they showed them on TV. This one chick was holding a huge bottle and justa guzzlin' straight from it. You might find some video on FOX since that is where I saw it. Or check KTRK, KPRC or KHOU (local Houston stations)

I was watching Fox news while eating lunch here at work in our breakroom. They were interviewing these people (idiots is more like it...but that's just imo) and the newsguy told them about the warning of certain death for those people that didn't evacuate and they (or the bartender don't remember which) said "oh well"!

Can you believe THAT? Is that not ignorance at the highest level?:bang:

I just don't get it!:waitasec:

Kato - Please be careful!! My DH has worked with FEMA for the past 10 years and has seen the worst-of-the-worst and heard the most devistating and heroic stories from all types of situations. He is currently on deployment and has travelled from TX to FL working disasters for over 8 weeks and is currently in LA for what happened with Gustav. I have been in touch with him and all indications from FEMA and Govenment are this is a nasty SOB of a hurricane, not so much in strength but his size and with tornadic activity, surge, etc. This is NOT to be taken lightly.....if it is all hype, so be it however if even a percentage of what they predict will happen does.....is it really worth it?

Stay safe and out of harms way and as another poster mentioned no water and electricity will be the least of the problems should the predictions fully come into fruition!

Is the area of The Woodlands a safe area to stay? A close friend is refusing to leave & I am very worried about him:eek: I really feel for the people on the TX coast as coastal flooding here in AL has already forced my aunt & uncle to evacuate.

Cindy they are needing volunteers at the shelters set up at the schools if you are interested. I got emails about it.

I would LOVE,LOVE, LOVE to volunteer my time; but I have conflict with work. I work at a car dealership (6 days a week) averaging about 55 hrs per week which leaves very little "Cindy" time left over. But I definitely will be donating those extra clothes & shoes. And I've had another thought about donating non-perishable food...I wonder if there's a food bank or something similar that will take food donations?

I think we're in for some good rain....how can it miss us? The storm is HUGE! We are suppose to get some good gusts tomorrow too. Nothing major but we'll bring in our balcony furniture and stuff. The traffic is horrible here in Austin!!!!

Sassy, I take it that you live here in Austin also? If you think we're gonna get rain then I sincerely hope you're right! Cause we need it soooo badly. The only downside for me personally speaking is I am very sensitive to molds & humidity & when my allergies get going then my asthma kicks in...but ya know; at this point, I don't care! That's nothing compared to the rain that we need so badly.

I also have to work tomorrow (although it'll probably be 'dead'). Today we've had practically 0 calls from dealers in Houston for dealer trades. They're probably all closed till Ike blows through town.

Well, those people have been riding out a lot of hurricanes in just that way. Works for the lower cat. ones but this one again is bringing the water for a much bigger storm.

Kato, some of that is definitely hype, I have to remind myself ever so often of the actual distances involved and the way the storm lessens as it travels over land. At least this time the reporters aren't standing in one inch of water trying desperately to justify being there.

I think the amazing thing is how fast the water will come up in these coastal areas that are beach-front. I've read Isaac's Storm, which is a great book about the Great Storm of 1900, which was the devastating storm that resulted in the building of the sea wall. (the sea wall only protects the east end of the beach, which is why the west end was flooded before noon this morning.) It's unbelievable how fast water can rise as it's coming in from the Gulf.

These items will be more important than you can even imagine. When we left because of Katrina I had enough clothes to last us a week. That week turned into 10 months and it was because of donated clothing that I was able to go out and find a job asap. Hold onto that clothing, someone will certainly need it in the next week or so!!:blowkiss:

Missie, I will sort through all my extra clothes & shoes this Sunday. Sundays are my only day off & is the best time to do it! Then all I need to figure out is where to take the stuff. Hopefully by then I will hear reports on our local news stations here in Austin as to where we can drop off donations!

Please don't get mad at me folks but I'm starting to think this a bunch of bullchit to scare us. I'm already going stir crazy! I might go see if there is a *buck's open.

You really don't need to worry about showers hon. Between the rain, flooding and boiling your drinking water..... you really won't be too anxious to see anymore water.

Before the storm there is a build-up of tension. That may be what you are feeling and what is making you so antsy. Don't go too far from home, maybe just walk the neighborhood for a bit. Or better yet, get your camera out and figure out how to work it and upload pics. Sign up for photobucket or other pic sharing site so that you will be ready.

Is the area of The Woodlands a safe area to stay? A close friend is refusing to leave & I am very worried about him:eek: I really feel for the people on the TX coast as coastal flooding here in AL has already forced my aunt & uncle to evacuate.

Your friend should be fine. There's no danger of flooding in the Woodlands unless he's in an area that routinely floods with heavy rains--and even then, this storm is predicted to move quickly through the area and not sit and dump rain for hours on end. The biggest thing will be downed tree limbs or branches but not catastrophic structural failures. The Woodlands is about 2 or so hours from the actual coast--and at least 50 feet above sea level.

The most that will happen for certain is power outages.

Not to downplay the situation, I wouldn't want to be in a mobile home anywhere now, but your friend should be fine, just maybe hot and humid for awhile. This area is so much more spread out and bigger than it looks like--having just driven to Disney World this summer, let me put it in perspective--it took us as almost as long to get out of Houston (we are at the far southwest end) as it did to get across Mississippi or Alabama!

Also, Hurricane Rita was a very powerful storm, and when it came in at Beaumont/Port Arthur area there was very little disruption or damage in the Woodlands or the Houston area. We were on the clean side of the storm then, but still, it might reassure you to know that.

Houston is my hometown. I've seen the devastation that Hurricane Alicia caused. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Alicia I'm afraid Ike will be worse. (Cindy, it when it made landfall it was a Catagory 3.) Not only do they cause surges, flooding, etc., they also cause spinoff twisters.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Southeast Texas. My family now lives in the Spring/Conroe area which is up the 1-45 corridor. (and they worry about me living in earthquake land!)

Take good care!

SDkid, I stand corrected! That was sooo long ago I couldn't remember. At the time we lived in Stafford which is near Missouri City and Sugarland which is located SW (i think?) of Houston. After Alecia hit, my dh (at the time) wanted to get in the car and 'survey' the damage. I remember we drove to the south side (I think...again..it's been a long time ago...memory's not working as well as it used to..LOL) of Houston (the part of Houston that's on the way to Galveston (I think) and it was almost completely submerged! You couldn't use the freeways either. I just remember it was an awful sight!

Please don't get mad at me folks but I'm starting to think this a bunch of bullchit to scare us. I'm already going stir crazy! I might go see if there is a *buck's open.

I'm starting to get tired and it took me ten minutes to figure out what you mean. Did you find one? I'm going to make a big thermos of coffee before the storm hits. I think I've got some instant coffee from making fudge last Christmas. Coffee is an essential!

http://s372.photobucket.com/albums/oo168/Lofland5/

As we hunker down on the west side of Houston and watch the TV coverage of our town (Seabrook) as it slides under Galveston Bay, my daughter felt compelled to document the day. When you know with near certainty that there will be nothing left when you return, you must find whatever humor you can!

For those wondering about the media in the Galveston hotel, they should be fine. It is built up and is very secure. It may have some glass breakage and damage, but it should be safe, even from the surge. For those worrying about family in the Woodlands and other areas north and west of downtown Houston, they'll be fine. It's going to be stormy and a bit scary tonight and there will be some property damage and discomfort, but they will be safe.

I am in San Antonio - ITs really HOT - big grey rain looking clouds

slight wind - I travel home on the interstate that comes from Houston

- Heavy heavy traffic - caravans of buses fire trucks ambulances -

signs along the interstate directing to shelters .

They expect we will get some rain - we desperately need it we are

10-12" below normal .

I too will make huge donation to relief in the way of clothing / linens

just hanging around in my closets .

AM should be interesting - grocery stores and wal mart

are packed to the gills .

will post as long as we have juice .............

I just saw a presser with the mayor and the city manager of Galviston. They said they are still there and will ride out the storm, I think they are in a hotel . Reporters are also staying there. The city manager and mayor are reiterating thatey will be out picking up people until 9 PM..at that time they will be shutting down to not put their people in harms way. They are still evacuating Galvaston.. they say they think about 40 % of the people on Galviston Island did not evacuate! They are using high tech dump trucks to come rescue people, as well as boats and helio but this is going to be bad.

Hi DD! I just LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your avatar! I have artwork like that at my apartment. I love that kind of artwork it's so romantic! (imo). But then I am the (hopeless..LOL) romantic type, so that's to be expected!:blowkiss:

As we hunker down on the west side of Houston and watch the TV coverage of our town (Seabrook) as it slides under Galveston Bay, my daughter felt compelled to document the day. When you know with near certainty that there will be nothing left when you return, you must find whatever humor you can!

For those wondering about the media in the Galveston hotel, they should be fine. It is built up and is very secure. It may have some glass breakage and damage, but it should be safe, even from the surge. For those worrying about family in the Woodlands and other areas north and west of downtown Houston, they'll be fine. It's going to be stormy and a bit scary tonight and there will be some property damage and discomfort, but they will be safe.

JanPat I am happy to hear that you and your family are ok. I am happy to know that you chose to use discretion and to not take the chance of staying. Are you with family/friends or in a hotel?

JanPat, how old is your daughter? Tell her that is a beautiful picture.

Except that I believe that Galveston will be a happy place again. Several years ago this was happening in New Orleans. And it has taken time, but they are coming back again. They are rebuilding, and strengthening and they are getting happy again. Galveston will be that way too. This is not the first time that a hurricane has happened to Galveston, but the others happened before she can remember. And she might not know about them because Galveston rebuilt bigger and better.

JanPat, you and your family are in my prayers. I'm happy to see that you guys are still holding on to your sense of humor, it might be one of the strongest tools you have in the coming weeks. I hope all turns out well for you.

JanPat I am happy to hear that you and your family are ok. I am happy to know that you chose to use discretion and to not take the chance of staying. Are you with family/friends or in a hotel?

We're at my parent's house. We live 250 yards from Galveston Bay at 6 feet above sea level. Our plan has always been shelter in place for a Tropical Storm/Cat 1, evacuate to the west side of Houston for a Cat 2/3, and get the he** out of dodge for a Cat 4/5. We saw no reason to deviate from that plan.

We've evac'd before and always have our disaster kit ready to go. We take photos, X-mas ornaments the kids collected since birth, original genealogy records & documents, and critical papers. We figure everything else is why we pay for insurance. It's tough watching it, be we know we're safe and it will all be good in the long run.

We're at my parent's house. We live 250 yards from Galveston Bay at 6 feet above sea level. Our plan has always been shelter in place for a Tropical Storm/Cat 1, evacuate to the west side of Houston for a Cat 2/3, and get the he** out of dodge for a Cat 4/5. We saw no reason to deviate from that plan.

We've evac'd before and always have our disaster kit ready to go. We take photos, X-mas ornaments the kids collected since birth, original genealogy records & documents, and critical papers. We figure everything else is why we pay for insurance. It's tough watching it, be we know we're safe and it will all be good in the long run.

You sound like a very smart family.

JanPat, how old is your daughter? Tell her that is a beautiful picture.

She's 17 and has a bit of a sarcastic streak :)

It will be awhile, but I also believe Galveston and the surrounding Bay communities will be "happy places" again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simwolves
Back